Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭iseegirls

GIMP wrote: »
    No listing for this on any epg......

Cold Feet - VM2 Thu 9pm - 4 days after ITV??

Any idea when it starts

Next Thursday - 17th January on VM2. Prob wouldn't be on any EPGs yet if they only show 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭deezell

I'll be damned, Leinster Toulouse match fta on VM1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭its_steve116

deezell wrote: »
    I'll be damned, Leinster Toulouse match fta on VM1

"And now Fontaines DC will sing the national anthem..."
    *fuzzy post punk guitars*
    "(Spoken) Come the day and come the hour..."
    #NightshiftAmnesty

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

its_steve116

Feel free to start a new thread on what an awesome programme Nightshift was, how we should all have watched it and it should never have been cancelled, etc, etc.

But please stop hijacking this thread to mention it at every opportunity. Consider yourself warned not to discuss Nightshift in any thread that is not a dedicated thread

I was wondering wtf that incomprehesible reply was about. I don't speak TwitFace, thats probably why.

• Advertisement

Thats enough of any on thread discussion of that

Meanwhile,VMTV and Channel 4’s last Heineken Cup pool stage game has been announced as Munster v Exeter in the later Saturday teatime slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

not having the pleasure of VM1HD i tried watching it on saorview. turned to C4HD and the difference was massive. needless to say i stuck with it in HD on C4.

not having the pleasure of VM1HD i tried watching it on saorview. turned to C4HD and the difference was massive. needless to say i stuck with it in HD on C4.

I'm going to be fair to VM1 on this. The picture quality was definitely improved, even thought base resolution is still sub SD. Perhaps they splurged on a higher bit rate. Their commentary was the superior of the two, a bit of nous and passion for the game. Ch4 was a bit too neutral and offhand for my liking, like two lads in a pub over a meal throwing occasional glances at the telly. Having said that, I watched 2nd half on Ch4, it was easier to see video ref decisions especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

tough ****... next you will be wanting free TV..

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    tough ****... next you will be wanting free TV..
    That's a bit harsh, especially as it's your first post here in 6 months. Way off the point too.

• Advertisement

Play the ball not the poster please Dezeel, that’s the second time in three posts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Channel 4 shows all the same games as VM , I can watch the games on C4 in HD but only SD on VM (like many others ) so will always watch C4 ahead of VM

Conversely Sky viewers get Virgin 1 HD on the EPG but not Channel 4 HD (though you can tune it in on Other Channels) so they will be the opposite.

icdg wrote: »
    Conversely Sky viewers get Virgin 1 HD on the EPG but not Channel 4 HD (though you can tune it in on Other Channels) so they will be the opposite.
    Only if you have am HD subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

icdg wrote: »

I cannot get VM1 HD on my Sky+ Box only VM1 SD in the clear. I'm on the lowest package (entertainment package I think it is)

no, when I try 803 VM1 HD on my EPG it tells me to press the red button and upgrade my package to watch VM1 HD

€8 extra PM no less!

I cannot get VM1 HD on my Sky+ Box only VM1 SD in the clear. I'm on the lowest package (entertainment package I think it is)

no, when I try 803 VM1 HD on my EPG it tells me to press the red button and upgrade my package to watch VM1 HD

€8 extra PM no less!

No one is looking for something for free, but if ERC terms stipulate some fta content in different regions, it should be of the same standard in all, not HD in one and sub SD in the other, with a HD version being flogged to a competing behemoth. Bids for the fta matches, if thats how its done, should stipulate this, and not leave it up to the broadcaster. It would be very simple for the ERC ti stipulate that an unsuccessful or non bidder could not benefit by subscription relaying of a fta match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I've no HD subscription with Sky, just the basic entertainment package - but I can get RTE1 HD fine on EPG 101 on my Sky+ so you would think I should be able to pick up VM1 in HD without upgrading to a HD package ... but no. Its not like a national geographic channel or HD Movie channel at the end of the day its a Terrestial run of the mill national television station .. albeit in HD (as in the case of VM1 HD ) - I suppose they would say there is no obligation to transmit VM1 HD in the clear because VM1 standard definition is offered on the Sky+ Box on EPG 103 .. but then again RTE have their RTE One HD on 101 in the clear and somewhere up the EPG offer RTE One in SD too

No one is looking for something for free, but if ERC terms stipulate some fta content in different regions, it should be of the same standard in all, not HD in one and sub SD in the other, with a HD version being flogged to a competing behemoth. Bids for the fta matches, if thats how its done, should stipulate this, and not leave it up to the broadcaster. It would be very simple for the ERC ti stipulate that an unsuccessful or non bidder could not benefit by subscription relaying of a fta match.

The EPCR really don’t care if the match is 4K, HD, SD, or 405 line black and white for that matter as long as they are getting a cheque from the broadcaster at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,893 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im watching In The Line Of Fire on Virgin One and the ad breaks are about 10 minutes long, maybe longer...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Standard fare for films on that channel. I stopped watching them years ago.

• Advertisement

No CL live matches in 2 weeks time on any free to air VM channels. Expected I guess, but still annoying. They would get at least 400,000 for the Man Utd match alone.

They have a Europa League match on VM2 on Thursday at 6pm - Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Are there ads on VM sport? If not then they must be losing out by not having a game on VM1/2/3.

Are they allowed to broadcast FTA in the same slot as RTE (who have 1st pick), presuming that they are, they should put the other game FTA and at least get some return on the rights money they paid.

Their current strategy can't be yielding much ad revenue.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Are there ads on VM sport? If not then they must be losing out by not having a game on VM1/2/3.

Are they allowed to broadcast FTA in the same slot as RTE (who have 1st pick), presuming that they are, they should put the other game FTA and at least get some return on the rights money they paid.

Their current strategy can't be yielding much ad revenue.

Yes there is ads on VM Sport. The ratings must be so low though.

Unsure regarding positioning another match beside RTE's pick, whether there's any agreement there not to show 2 matches at the same time.

They have the big Rugby showdown tomorrow though, or about one eight of the pixels of it at any rate. Ill stream their commentary over the ITV HD picture if the ITV one is unbearable.

They have the big Rugby showdown tomorrow though, or about one eight of the pixels of it at any rate. Ill stream their commentary over the ITV HD picture if the ITV one is unbearable.

No doubt it will be used to heavily promote whatever reality bollocks will be on after the rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

lertsnim wrote: »
    No doubt it will be used to heavily promote whatever reality bollocks will be on after the rugby.

Ireland's got talent. Joe Molloy seemed jaded mentioning it a while ago, and it's only night 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

dulpit wrote: »
    Ireland's got talent. Joe Molloy seemed jaded mentioning it a while ago, and it's only night 1

Which RTE are cleverly scuppering with Limerick v Tipp.

They missed the kick off to the Scotland v Italy game so a more important ad could be shown.

lertsnim wrote: »
    They missed the kick off to the Scotland v Italy game so a more important ad could be shown.
    OMG , thankfully enjoying the game in beautiful BBC HD with quality commentators - flower of Scotland at Murray field sends a shiver down the spine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is there anything more annoying than pre-roll ads for live TV on the player? At least they're about a minute behind based on radio 1, so that made up for it...

Advertisement