Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Girl from Gort who constantly drives at 50kph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

ironclaw wrote: »
    Thats a bit strong! :eek:

I'm not trolling. What rule is she breaking? She simply not driving fast enough for you or at a speed that you feel is appropriate. Driving at a speed she see's fit, grand. Let her off. Crank up the radio and wait for a safe spot to pass. If she was actively blocking others from over taking, I mean weaving in a defensive manner, then hands up thats ridiculous and she should be pulled. No contest. But driving at 50km/h in itself, whilst dangerous, is not breaking any rules that I'm aware of. Even motorways in Ireland don't have minimum speed limits, as long as you can do 50km/h (And you don't actually have to do that speed) then off you go.

I'm not trolling. I'm just presenting my view (That I'm entitled to as are you without being told I got my license from a cereal box :rolleyes:) that on the grand scheme of things, she's cost your nothing but a bucket load of self induced stress and a few seconds off your day. Like I said, could be a whole lot worse e.g. Go sit on the 405 in LA for the afternoon and then come back to discuss someone holding you up at 50km/h in Gort :pac:

Farmers have been prosecuted in the courts for not pulling over and leaving drivers behind them get past.

If there was no law against slow driving, how did these drivers get prosecuted in a court ? While there are no laws explicitly stating that you have to drive above a given limit, the gardai and the courts view such slow driving as being dangerous and could well prosecute you under other, more broader rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

If she drove at 50 kmh and hugged the white line during her driving test, she would fail.

So either she doesn't have a full licence, or she is deliberately driving like that to piss people off. A driving instructor wouldn't allow a beginner to drive like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

pablo128 wrote: »
    If she drove at 50 kmh and hugged the white line during her driving test, she would fail.

So either she doesn't have a full licence, or she is deliberately driving like that to piss people off. A driving instructor wouldn't allow a beginner to drive like that.

Bingo! If you can't drive in a manner that would be needed to pass a basic driving test, then you simply shouldn't be out driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Kensington wrote: »
    Bingo! If you can't drive in a manner that would be needed to pass a basic driving test, then you simply shouldn't be out driving.

This. You'd get failed for lack of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

ironclaw wrote: »
    Thats a bit strong! :eek:

I'm not trolling. What rule is she breaking? She simply not driving fast enough for you or at a speed that you feel is appropriate. Driving at a speed she see's fit, grand. Let her off. Crank up the radio and wait for a safe spot to pass. If she was actively blocking others from over taking, I mean weaving in a defensive manner, then hands up thats ridiculous and she should be pulled. No contest. But driving at 50km/h in itself, whilst dangerous, is not breaking any rules that I'm aware of. Even motorways in Ireland don't have minimum speed limits, as long as you can do 50km/h (And you don't actually have to do that speed) then off you go.

I'm not trolling. I'm just presenting my view (That I'm entitled to as are you without being told I got my license from a cereal box :rolleyes:) that on the grand scheme of things, she's cost your nothing but a bucket load of self induced stress and a few seconds off your day. Like I said, could be a whole lot worse e.g. Go sit on the 405 in LA for the afternoon and then come back to discuss someone holding you up at 50km/h in Gort :pac:

Wait for a safe spot to pass? So that she can just hog the white line and make it very dangerous for you to pass in the first place? The OP said it's an extremely busy road so there was not opportunity to overtake that idiot in the first place, between bends and oncoming traffic. It is not her right to decide what speed other drivers should be driving. If she can't drive faster than 50km/hr in a car on a national road, she should not be on the road full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Wait for a safe spot to pass? So that she can just hog the white line and make it very dangerous for you to pass in the first place? The OP said it's an extremely busy road so there was not opportunity to overtake that idiot in the first place, between bends and oncoming traffic. It is not her right to decide what speed other drivers should be driving. If she can't drive faster than 50km/hr in a car on a national road, she should not be on the road full stop.

And anyone who says otherwise is either trolling or got their license out of a cereal box.
    I say it again and again and again.
    We can NOT all drive how we see fit. There are rules that we have to adhere to. That crap of I can do what I want at any time is free man on the land crap that will land anyone in trouble.
    What if I see fit to drive 20 km/h, with a cattle trailer, weaving all over the road with a sign on it saying "I AM ENTITLED!!!".
    When the cops pull me I tell them exactly that and ditto for the judge.
    I would get a driving ban and rightly so. Can't be argued with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I was engaged in conversation with a truck driver while getting my disabled car taken to a garage for repair.
    The subject of slow drivers came up. I never realised that all modern trucks are fitted with speed limiters which limits their speed to a certain maximum no matter how hard the driver presses on the accelerator that is all you get, whatever the designers set for a truck.
    When overtaking slow cars the driver has to watch out for incompetant drivers who speed up to avoid being overtaken and then drop back to their previous slow speed when the overtaking attempt has been abandoned.

Many car drivers exploit the limitation imposed on truck drivers to dictate their speed on the road by slow driving in front of them and speeding up if an attempt is made to overtake them. Many truck drivers are at an impossible position keeping up with increasingly tight schedules based on the max speed of the trucks employed when it is often impossible to do so because of the general level of muppetry on the roads.

Although the instinct is sometime there to do so, NEVER accelerate when being overtaken by another vehicle, you might put the other driver in a very dangerous position by doing so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 ezopsae

Gort is not a big place. Does anyone know who this idiot is? She should be convinced to take at least 30 driving lessons or hand her licence over and use public transport.

Goes to the Irish Waterways Lorry driver holding up 10 cars etc on the Enfield to Kilcock road at 55kph.....in an 80kph zone.

These people should be shot with a ball of their own waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

doolox wrote: »
    Goes to the Irish Waterways Lorry driver holding up 10 cars etc on the Enfield to Kilcock road at 55kph.....in an 80kph zone.

These people should be shot with a ball of their own waste.

The numpty is on the clock so don't give a crap but happy out to hold everyone else I hate driver's like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Perhaps he had a delicate cargo that had to be minded or perhaps the vehicle was only capable of that speed, or had a mechanical defect such as a fuel blockage

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

corktina wrote: »
    Perhaps he had a delicate cargo that had to be minded or perhaps the vehicle was only capable of that speed, or had a mechanical defect such as a fuel blockage
    Move in to the side of the road, put on the hazzard lights and allow people to get on with their journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Joe 90

corktina wrote: »
    Reminds me of something that happened back in the 60s. We, that is my fathers family, had a Leyland Comet. New in 1962, by the mid-lateish 60s it need an engine rebuild. Engine duely rebuilt it was bck in service. One problem, no power. It started OK, could be driven but no useful power. It was so bad the one day a tractor had to slow down to let it overtake. And tractors in those days were slow, tot speed about 15mph! Mind you the Leyland, at its' best wasnt that good, top speed 47mph indicated.

Eventualy a real diesel engine guru looked it over. It turned out that the fittings were thr fuel lines went in and out of the filetr looked identical. Same thread, same nut, they looked the same and you could swap them round. However, one was a bigger bore than the other and that was the problem. True.

BTW, that was the truck that I did most of my early driving on, well before I was 17.:)

... perhaps the truck was limited to 60 kph.

I doubt it though the theory involving watching the clock seems more likely as it was coming up to lunch time and the jokers probably did not want to reach their destination too early before a big fat lunch.......

cabledude wrote: »
    Move in to the side of the road, put on the hazzard lights and allow people to get on with their journey.

No!!!! You can't do that!
    Volcanoes would erupt, there would be rivers of blood and Nazis riding dinosaurs!
    End of the world as we know it, etc...

......who could pull in and do just that, let people go. Also there are many drivers who seem incapable of doing that and need to be weeded out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

We have a lady who 'drives' a purple Daihatsu for 10kms of my journey in the Athlone area every morning at approximately 60kph, if I do not pass here turn off before 8.30am then I am stuck behind her, if I am running late I will take the motorway and add 7kms to my journey just to avoid her. Anyone defending this idiot was obviously never stuck behind an 'oul one crawling, advising 'don't be stressed' and 'what's 12 minutes out of your life' is trolling of the highest order.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Move out of Gort... .simples! ;)

Just report her, let the Garda have a word in her ear.

yop wrote: »
    Move out of Gort... .simples! ;)

Just report her, let the Garda have a word in her ear.

Move out of Gort is actually sound advice in any situation. ;)
    We call it Grot.

There should be a law that if more than 7 cars are trailing you, you're more than 20kmp/h below the speed limit and there's nothing in front of you, you pull over or get penalty points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ezopsae wrote: »
    There should be a law that if more than 7 cars are trailing you, you're more than 20kmp/h below the speed limit and there's nothing in front of you, you pull over or get penalty points.

Considering the vast majority of the road traffic acts are ignored daily, what would be the point?

Well, there is and people have been pulled over and banned or fined, but the type of person that would do such a thing belongs to the "God Given Entitlement To Be On The Road" brigade and there is simply no reasoning with them.
    Their belief is that they can drive any way they see fit and they know better than the ROTR anyway, sure haven't they been driving for forty years and their Da taught them in a Morris Minor when they where 16 and sure, they're so good, they never needed to have lessons from some jumped up instructor and where issued a life-long irrevocable driving licence by Charles Haughy himself, who clapped them on the shoulder and said "with this you can drive anything, anywhere at any time and never listen to anyone who tells you differently"

TL/DR
    The worst thing on Irish roads is the 60 km/h, drive in the middle of the road brigade, who have a "God Given Right To Be On The Road!"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

More than 7 cars trailing you?

More than 20kmp/h below the speed limit?

Nothing in front of you?

That's a paddlin'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Well, there is and people have been pulled over and banned or fined, but the type of person that would do such a thing belongs to the "God Given Entitlement To Be On The Road" brigade and there is simply no reasoning with them.
    Their belief is that they can drive any way they see fit and they know better than the ROTR anyway, sure haven't they been driving for forty years and their Da taught them in a Morris Minor when they where 16 and sure, they're so good, they never needed to have lessons from some jumped up instructor and where issued a life-long irrevocable driving licence by Charles Haughy himself, who clapped them on the shoulder and said "with this you can drive anything, anywhere at any time and never listen to anyone who tells you differently"

TL/DR
    The worst thing on Irish roads is the 60 km/h, drive in the middle of the road brigade, who have a "God Given Right To Be On The Road!"

ridiculous statement. For 1 its a young girl
    and the older driver you speak of would be in the 70 or 80s if not older.

The simple fact is all the crap drives have suddenly appeared under Gaybo term with RSA who are only concerned with speeding.

Years ago a girl like that would have been just beeped off the road and most likely confronted each time they acted the magot when they went out.

Now we are all too afraid to say boo.

With theory test and driving test doesn't make better drivers shure aren't half of those that passed with the private companies well below power. I certainly know a few that passed with private test company in there little auto cars that shouldn't and they admit it themselves.

We have a generation of idiots on the road not because a family member taught them to drive and pass the test but because the test has become easier and not focused on driving skill or ability to control the car.
    Multi choice questions for theory
    easy driving test
    only drink driving and speeding enforced.
    Traffic cor who are only interested in tickets

I can remember driving in my first car little mini 850 and stopping with front wheels inches over the stop line at traffic lights Gardai walking by knocks on window gets me out of car and tells me off for not stopping before the stop line.

There was no penalty points or fine but the lesson was learned. This was the way the garda use to opperate now its a cash cow with fines and penalties that make little sense.

So bad drivers go unchallenged all day everyday as long as they aren't drunk or speeding.

Wouldn't take much effort by Garda to control the middle lane hoggers marked car drive up behind them with lights flashing until they moved over to the driving lane.

If the most important rule of the road "drive on the left" can be blatantly ignored then the other laws can be openly flaunted. All this while garda are sitting on side of road with speed gun.
    Our police force is only interested in points and fines

The old N4 from the Palmerston rdbt to the start of the M4 at Leixlip is known locally as Revenue Road. A white Ford Transit sits there every Sunday picking off people doing 90 kph so that everyone panics, puts on the brakes and slows to 70 kph in response....hardly a safe situation.

This causes tailbacks onto the M50 northbound as the slowdown trasmits back down onto the feeding roads. Also hardly a safe situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

The old N4 from the Palmerstown rdbt to the start of the M4 at Leixlip is known locally as Revenue Road. A white Ford Transit sits there every Sunday picking off people doing 90 kph so that everyone panics, puts on the brakes and slows to 70 kph in response....hardly a safe situation.

This causes tailbacks onto the M50 northbound as the slowdown trasmits back down onto the feeding roads. Also hardly a safe situation.

Firstly. Fixed your post.

Secondly the N4 is 80km/h. Should it be 100? Yes I think it should, but it's not. It's 80. I. Travel this road many times a week, and apart from the middle lane drivers it's the people who think they can drive at 120+ on it that p1ss me off the most, on the occasions I need to over take a middle laner who is content at sitting at 75 I often get some one right up my arse, flashing lights and beeping cause I'm over taking at the speed limit, in fact I'm over taking at 2 km over it, I'm absolutely sick of it and I welcome the gards having the van there 24/7, if you can't handle not driving at 80km on a dual carriageway then prepare for the points and fine.

I will however give you that it does create very dangerous braking, I was coming back Tuesday morning and the van was parked outbound after Lucan. I'm in the left lane, and someone else in the middle lane. Cruise control is set at 82 and the 9,000 year old man in front of me is actually doing 80, until he and the guy in the middle lane see the van, slam on the brakes down to 55 and sit there till after the van. Needless to say I sat on the horn to let them know my displeasure, didn't do anything though. The funniest is the looks you get when you continue at the speed limit past a van or grad, when every one else has slowed to 50 just "to be shure to be shure"

The old N4 from the Palmerston rdbt to the start of the M4 at Leixlip is known locally as Revenue Road. A white Ford Transit sits there every Sunday picking off people doing 90 kph so that everyone panics, puts on the brakes and slows to 70 kph in response....hardly a safe situation.

Reason for the low limit is bad design of the road. If you are coming from the Liffey Valley centre, and going southbound on the M50, you have to cross 4 lanes immediately upon exiting the on ramp. It's hairy at the best of times, let alone with traffic travelling faster.
    Could they increase the limit outbound on that road? I can't see a reason why it couldn't be 100 kmh, certainly after Woodies anyway.

Reason for the low limit is bad design of the road. If you are coming from the Liffey Valley centre, and going southbound on the M50, you have to cross 4 lanes immediately upon exiting the on ramp. It's hairy at the best of times, let alone with traffic travelling faster.
    Could they increase the limit outbound on that road? I can't see a reason why it couldn't be 100 kmh, certainly after Woodies anyway.

That's a few hundred meters of road. What about the preceding several kilometers?

That's a few hundred meters of road. What about the preceding several kilometers?
    While I agree about the limits being too low, most of the time there is a reason for having a lower than normal limit. That's not to say they couldn't do with a bit of adjustment. For example dropping from 120 to 80 at the Spa hotel can be a bit hairy at times, where 100 would be more appropriate.
    The problem is there are a good few junctions along there, with cars leaving and merging with traffic. I guess that's the reason for 80 kmh inbound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

While I agree about the limits being too low, most of the time there is a reason for having a lower than normal limit. That's not to say they couldn't do with a bit of adjustment. For example dropping from 120 to 80 at the Spa hotel can be a bit hairy at times, where 100 would be more appropriate.
    The problem is there are a good few junctions along there, with cars leaving and merging with traffic. I guess that's the reason for 80 kmh inbound.

I'm counting in my head here but the M11 from the M50/M11 interchange to Kilmacanogue is about the same distance, about the same number of exits, two lanes, one of the busiest roads in the country and its 120km/h for at least 50% of that distance. 80km/h is lunacy. 100km/h would be far more suitable or do what the Italians and other European countries to, have lane 1 as 80km/h and the rest at 100km/h.

I'm actually delighted people make an effort of passing a van at 50km/h because it gives the message they are seen, useless as no one drives everywhere at 50km/h and hopefully there are a few (non-fatal) accidents so they can be challenged as being a safety hazard.

Advertisement