Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Girl from Gort who constantly drives at 50kph

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

This an actual case ? Any link to the judgement ?

Yep, http://www.justmadeitup.com/takingittoofar

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is there not a limit to the number of cars that you can be holding up, i thought it was seven or something ??
    How do you count these cars?

=-=

As for overtaking, f**king overtake. None of this "slowly cruise past" the car; you drop a gear and put the foot down and go past them. Too many times I've seen people overtake at 5KM/h faster than the other car, and take an age to overtake, usually barely missing a car coming the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

ironclaw wrote: »
    What person here can't afford (Probably at most) 12 mins the rare occasion they get held up? And think about it, 20km is actually a very long way. Its give or take half the length of the M50. I doubt anyone would have that distance to be held up at an average speed of 50km/h and NO opportunity to overtake.

Cool the jets lads. Its infuriating but your saving minutes out of a lifetime. You'll get there!

But some of us get fined for been held up, if I'm late picking the wee lad up from the child minders I get charged with a late fee and the later I am, the bigger the fine.

I don't accept been held up by others, if you are in my way I will overtake you one way or the other.

Nothing personal, it's all about the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    But some of us get fined for been held up, if I'm late picking the wee lad up from the child minders I get charged with a late fee and the later I am, the bigger the fine.

I don't accept been held up by others, if you are in my way I will overtake you one way or the other.

Nothing personal, it's all about the money.

Leave the house eariler then.

If you overtake "one way or another" then you are risking a lot more than a poxy fine from your childminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The Gardai are often criticised here, but it seems to me that in this case they told the driver concerned to wise up and this advice may well be listened to, making this kind of thing less likely in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

You reckon? Think its sensible to time your journey from door to door at the speed limit without any interruptions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

In the vast majority of these 'slow driver' cases, it is not the 'slow driver' who is the problem, but rather the car behind, or two cars behind, who won't overtake, even when given an empty road and a number of safe opportunities.

What should be a routine overtake of a single vehicle, becomes an altogether more hazardous and difficult multiple overtake of two or three vehicles.

There are too many people on our roads who are uneducated and careless about their driving and other road users. But then, there are a whole other bunch who are deliberately obstructive, and who know damn well what they are doing, and the effect they are having.

The man who could find a way to exclude psychologically disturbed people from driving on the public road would be some genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

paddyland wrote: »
    In the vast majority of these 'slow driver' cases, it is not the 'slow driver' who is the problem, but rather the car behind, or two cars behind, who won't overtake, even when given an empty road and a number of safe opportunities.

What should be a routine overtake of a single vehicle, becomes an altogether more hazardous and difficult multiple overtake of two or three vehicles.

There are too many people on our roads who are uneducated and careless about their driving and other road users. But then, there are a whole other bunch who are deliberately obstructive, and who know damn well what they are doing, and the effect they are having.

The man who could find a way to exclude psychologically disturbed people from driving on the public road would be some genius.

Totally agree. Drivers should be have sufficient ability to overtake a single vehicle travelling at 50kph within a reasonable timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

djimi wrote: »
    Leave the house eariler then.
    People use a reasonable estimate of the time required. Someone driving at half the speed limited down to a third is not a reasonable speed.

• Advertisement

Lets be honest, its extremely rare that it will ever double your journey time. Id say the longest I have ever been stuck behind anything is maybe 5 minutes at most.

Im not saying its reasonable to drive slowly, but those saying that an extra couple of minutes is making them late are really cutting it too fine when planning on leaving the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Lets be honest, its extremely rare that it will ever double your journey time. Id say the longest I have ever been stuck behind anything is maybe 5 minutes at most.

Im not saying its reasonable to drive slowly, but those saying that an extra couple of minutes is making them late are really cutting it too fine when planning on leaving the house.

The person in question is driving 50kmh (30kmh on the corners) on a national, 100kmh, commuter road during heavy traffic times. The tailback has been quoted so far by two separate boards members as several miles in length (not impossible considering the road in question) and the driver in question has done this on more than one occasion.

It's extremely rare for every road in Ireland but that's not what the thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

sullivlo wrote: »
    Tractors usually pull in at a safe spot to let traffic pass

not in my neck of the woods they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

One case reached court last year where somebody overtook a slow driver on the inside lane. The Gardai pulled over these people and it went to court, the jusge kicked the case out and told the Gardai that they should of pulled the over the slow driver instead.

That Judge should be awarded a medal.
    You reckon? Think its sensible to time your journey from door to door at the speed limit without any interruptions?

It's sensible to presume that people who behave as stupidly as to drive at 30-60km/h in an 80 or 100 limit shouldn't be allowed use the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I used to drive for a living, its extremely common to come across people holding up large volumes of traffic which has a horrendous knock on effect. It can easily turn a 4 hour drive into a 5 hours. I've had trips that took in excess of 50% more time than normal due to irresponsible drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I got overtaken by two (fast) motorbikes on a national road (two lanes going either way with a hard shoulder on ether side) I eased off and gave them lots of room (four surfboards on the roof). The VW Passat in front of me moved to the middle of the road to block them overtaking. Every time there was a gap and they went to overtake there was a black plume of smoke as he accelerated to close the overtaking gap and space. They eventually left him for dust. When they disappeared over the horizon the Passat driver drove normally.

I didn't try to overtake him. Some people are bonkers, never seen anti-motorbike antics before or after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Yeah one I never get is idiots who are happy pottering along at 20-30 below speed limit but take such great offence at being over taken they hug the white line & speed up as you try over take

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Caliden wrote: »
    Yup, section 52. Quoted it on the previous page.
    I also quoted the rules of the road from the RSA website which advises against driving too slowly (unsure how legally binding they are).
    More likely a Sect 51(A) offence "driving without reasonable consideration" which been a penalty point offence since Jan 2005.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1968/en/act/pub/0025/sec0049.html#sec49
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/si/0026.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I got overtaken by two (fast) motorbikes on a national road (two lanes going either way with a hard shoulder on ether side) I eased off and gave them lots of room (four surfboards on the roof). The VW Passat in front of me moved to the middle of the road to block them overtaking. Every time there was a gap and they went to overtake there was a black plume of smoke as he accelerated to close the overtaking gap and space. They eventually left him for dust. When they disappeared over the horizon the Passat driver drove normally.

The driver of the Passat in that example should be jailed. That's the kind of signal that should be sent out to sociopaths behind the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

"Sunday driver"...
    Usually drives slow, a lot under the limit, during night or rain even slower, corners takes with the speed of pedestrian, 90° bends make him stop before them. Roundabouts are unknown, who goes first, indicators don't exist, etc.
    They're ewerywhere, Ireland isn't exception.
    Personally I think if person was caught doing something like mentioned in this thread should be send for driving school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

There are only two options here:

1 - The person is incapable of driving any faster, i.e. is not in full and competent control of the vehicle.

2 - The person is unwilling to drive any faster and is deliberately and inconsiderately holding up traffic.

In both cases they are breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

paddyland wrote: »
    The driver of the Passat in that example should be jailed. That's the kind of signal that should be sent out to sociopaths behind the wheel.

Only me and a dog in the car, phone was dead, dog was crap at trying to write down the reg, forgot the reg (except 01 G) by the time I stopped.

I'd make dreadful cop. My dog a worse cop dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Steve wrote: »
    There are only two options here:

1 - The person is incapable of driving any faster, i.e. is not in full and competent control of the vehicle.

2 - The person is unwilling to drive any faster and is deliberately and inconsiderately holding up traffic.

In both cases they are breaking the law.

The vehicle could also be incapable, for whatever reason, of going any faster - but even my feckheap can do motorway speeds despite being in emergency mode for some time (perfectly safely so, according to the NCT). It would be almost certain that if it's not able to do 80km/h that it's mechanically unsound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

That's my buddy Agnes, demonstrating her ability to drive somewhere between third and fourth gear. She's performing a public service and multi-tasking so give her a break - driving at that special speed AND alerting all of the cars behind her that there's a corner coming up AND moving out to prevent overtakers breaking the speed limit and having gruesome accidents.
    As a child, she saw a Mammy duck being followed by loads of baby ducks and thought "Yis, dat's fur me, so 'tiz".

Her sister, Gubnit, used to drive from Longford to Dublin every Friday evening. In a phenomenal example of telepathic communications, the drivers who could actually manage to overtake her did so with horns blazing. After a few years of that, and people waving at her without using all of their fingers, she surrendered her driving license and now takes the slowest train she can find. Good to see that Agnes is carrying on the tradition and I do hope that she isn't abused as her sister was.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

People use a reasonable estimate of the time required. Someone driving at half the speed limited down to a third is not a reasonable speed.

Except when this is a regular occurence....
    If you know there is a good chance of meeting this motorist, then it is reasonable to allow more time.....
    If you know there a good chance of meeting this driver, why wouldnt you take the extra time into consideration of your driving plans

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

robtri wrote: »
    Except when this is a regular occurence....
    If you know there is a good chance of meeting this motorist, then it is reasonable to allow more time.....
    If you know there a good chance of meeting this driver, why wouldnt you take the extra time into consideration of your driving plans

Ahh cmon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

ironclaw wrote:
    The way I kinda see it, as annoying as it is, whats the point in getting stressed?
    There's no point in getting stressed.
    There's only so much people can do when it comes to stress.
    Through biology and upbringing some people deal with it better than others.
    Saying cool your jets to people who get stressed by something you don't comes across as patronising.
    What person here can't afford (Probably at most) 12 mins the rare occasion they get held up?
    For me it's not that time I lose that annoys me, it's someone driving in a way that shows very little consideration and respect.
    Imagine if someone took 12 mins at and ATM just before you were about to go out, would that annoy you?
    djimi wrote:
    Its selfish, but its not dangerous.
    I'd consider driving at a speed where 99% of road users will overtake you and then delibratley making it more difficult for them to overtake you as being dangerous driving. I'd agree with you in that it's up to the overtaking driver to make sure their manoeuvre is safe, but the slow driver is definitely making the roads less safe.

Advertisement