Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 5 "First of His Name": *HAVEN'T* Read The Books

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Decent episode. This is my first time not "bulk watching" a show in a long time. Tis tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Wasn't Mance Rayder supposed to signal the wildlings south of the wall to start their attack with a big fire?
    Well now we have a big fire up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

What did Littlefinger say to his new wife about sending a letter to her sister Cat Stark regarding "the Lannisters being responsible..." Can someone give the context to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭twinex

I believe the accent change from Mr Gillen was a reasoned decision by Littlefinger (in the show) as now he's back "home" he can relax as it were, whereas in King's Landing he was hob-nobbin with the nobs and had to put on a show for his fellow lords. AND, and I get the impression that he could be an end of game(!) level boss in the series. What a crafty and devious so and so he's turning out to be. The momentum is building.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Jaqen doesn't owe her a kill. Arya asked him to help her escape and he said that would be more than one kill so Arya gave him his own name and told him to kill himself. To get her to take back the name, he helped her escape which was essentially the last name.

I really should try and watch over some old episodes, if I get a chance. There are little bits and pieces I don't remember at all from previous seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

manster wrote: »
    What did Littlefinger say to his new wife about sending a letter to her sister Cat Stark regarding "the Lannisters being responsible..." Can someone give the context to this?

Was it to do with the letter Cat Stark got regarding the real parents of Cerseis children? the fact they were from an incestuous relationship?

Didn't that start the war really and cost Ned his head which fuked up the Starks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Probably episode 1 of the show, I didn't really watch season 1 closely, Cat got a letter from Lysa saying that she thinks it was the Lannisters who killed Jon. Turns out it was her...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

In the very first episode of season 1, Lysa's husband John Arryn was hand to King Robert. He dies and Ned is invited to take his place. As Ned and Cat mull it over Cat receives a letter from her sister, Lysa, saying that she believes John Arryn was poisoned and murdered by the Lannisters. This sets in motion Ned going to Kings Landing and investigating the whole sorry affair, ultimately losing his head and kicking off the whole war in Westeros.
    It now turns out Littlefinger plotted the whole thing. Got Lysa to kill her husband and write that letter to Cat!!!
    Its a MAJOR development, along with his part in Joffrey's death, as it shows just how much of a devious and cunning bastard Littlefinger is!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

dloob wrote: »
    Wasn't Mance Rayder supposed to signal the wildlings south of the wall to start their attack with a big fire?
    Well now we have a big fire up there.
    That was when they had the warging eagle guy.

Crastor's keep is 60 miles from the wall (Jon said that in last weeks episode) and the wall is 700 feet high. No way is anyone south of the wall going to see that itsy bitsy fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    That was when they had the warging eagle guy.

Crastor's keep is 60 miles from the wall (Jon said that in last weeks episode) and the wall is 700 feet high. No way is anyone south of the wall going to see that itsy bitsy fire.

The Thenns have a warg with an owl to replace Orell and his eagle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Fact wasn't the Lannisters that killed Robert The King's Hand is HUUUUUUUUGGGGEEEEEEE!!! Littlefinger was behind everything - fawwwkk

wprathead wrote: »
    Fact wasn't the Lannisters that killed Robert The King's Hand is HUUUUUUUUGGGGEEEEEEE!!! Littlefinger was behind everything - fawwwkk

Its a HUGE plot development alright. Also, dont forget, as the previous Master of Coin he's the man who's bankrupt the Lannisters too. Another string to his bow.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

twinex wrote: »
    I believe the accent change from Mr Gillen was a reasoned decision by Littlefinger (in the show) as now he's back "home" he can relax as it were, whereas in King's Landing he was hob-nobbin with the nobs and had to put on a show for his fellow lords. AND, and I get the impression that he could be an end of game(!) level boss in the series. What a crafty and devious so and so he's turning out to be. The momentum is building.....

That doesn't explain his accent being back to normal kings landing accent the last 2 episodes or the change last season or his shocking accent in Calvary. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Its a HUGE plot development alright. Also, dont forget, as the previous Master of Coin he's the man who's bankrupt the Lannisters too. Another string to his bow.

Yep its huge, he is so many more steps ahead of everyone else than i had thought.
    In a lot of ways you could argue is the biggest episode of the season apart from the purple wedding, the Lannisters are more vulnerable than thought and could bring the Tyrells down with them who are bankrolling them. Stannis could be back in play by getting the banks involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I thought it was a slow enough episode overall. Aside from the revelations about Littlefinger and Lysa and the Lannisters' wealth, it tunred out quite disappointing. First off, Danny ahs to now backrack and properly hold her cities so it'll be lots more swanning around Esteros for the foreseeable future. Mind you, Jorah was right overall and she doesn't have the forces to take Westeros just yet. Bran/Rickon found Jon Snow but just hid. I was looking forward to them meeting up. Much of the rest was minor progression but nothing particularly exciting.

One thing that has struck me, and I'm not a book reader bar book 1 so far, but if I was a reader I think I'd be getting worried. I'm not spoilering anything at this point but I accidentally came upon a spoiler at one stage that Joffrey dies through drinking a poisoned goblet of wine. From what I gather, the book readers still don't know who the poisoner was but, like us for an episode or two, there was much speculation as many had motives. Now we know who was involved. I wonder if the revelations about Littlefinger's overall plan have been revealed in the books so far or are unique to the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭golfball37

I didn’t enjoy it I have to say, seems to be really dragging and if there’s no episode 9 block buster like in previous years then I’ll be a little worried.

My major gripe- Jon suspected Bran might go to Crasters keep, did he not think to ask one of the women did you see any crippled boys make their way up here? It is his brother after all.
    Did one of the many wives not think to tell any of the Nightswatch that there are 4 prisoners held up in the barn, they all saw them in the previous episode.
    I just think that hole in the story was disappointing and poorly executed. I understand this is not in the books but it makes me worried if this is how the writers deviate from the source material as they are going to have to finish this series ahead of Martin.

The other bits were fine, not great. Felt like more of the same. I loved the one on one between Tywin and Cersei but Pod and Brienne was boring and Arya and the hound has been done to death at this stage.
    Big reveal on Littlefinger which genuinely shocked me, I had forgotten how crazy Mrs Arryn was too. Wouldn’t surprise me if Robyn turns out to be Little Little Finger as she made reference to some night they spent together previously.

Overall- I hope it picks up pace a bit as there’s only so much tete a tete between characters that an action show can take before it gets stale, no matter how interesting the characters.

It’s still the best thing on TV by a mile though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Not only does it make no sense to me that nobody told Jon about Bran and the others being at Caster's Keep, why exactly didn't he reveal himself to Jon? I know that "Night watch" dude just tried to kidnap him, but he'd trust Jon surely?
    Hell, he might even convince Jon to join them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Not only does it make no sense to me that nobody told Jon about Bran and the others being at Caster's Keep, why exactly didn't he reveal himself to Jon? I know that "Night watch" dude just tried to kidnap him, but he'd trust Jon surely?
    Hell, he might even convince Jon to join them!

As Jon said himself in the last episode; he would have stopped them.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

aarrrggh can the starks ever catch a break! since season 1 there has been so many close meetings for some of the family to reunite!

Not a bad episode though i do have one question where has Gendry gone? Is he alive or dead? i remember Melisandre taking him last season but what happened to him after that? i dont want to google it and get a load of spoilers! Cheers!:D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gal44 wrote: »

Not a bad episode though i do have one question where has Gendry gone? Is he alive or dead? i remember Melisandre taking him last season but what happened to him after that? i dont want to google it and get a load of spoilers! Cheers!:D

Ser Davos freed him and gave him a boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Blay wrote: »
    As Jon said himself in the last episode; he would have stopped them.

Yup, Bran wanted to go to Jon but the others convinced him that Jon would only take him back to Castle Black.

It would have been a great moment if we had any actual idea what exactly at stake with regards to Bran's mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ser Davos freed him and gave him a boat.

Ah yes thanks i remember now.. i wonder is that the last of him we'll see.... i really liked his character!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Where has Rickon gone? I didn't notice him in the hut where Bran et al were tied up.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Where has Rickon gone? I didn't notice him in the hut where Bran et al were tied up.

They spilt up last season. The wildling woman who was helping them took him off North to another 'House' who were loyal to the Starks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Bacchus wrote: »
    Yup, Bran wanted to go to Jon but the others convinced him that Jon would only take him back to Castle Black.

It would have been a great moment if we had any actual idea what exactly at stake with regards to Bran's mission.
    Yeah, nobody seems to know. I just thought he'd convince John not to bring him back with him easy enough. Just show him the warging superpower and tell him he's on a mission from god...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Folks there is to be No book discussion in the non reader threads. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Anybody else think the reveal in the conversation between Lysa and Littlefinger was awful? It felt very forced, almost as if she was talking directly to the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Grimebox wrote: »
    Anybody else think the reveal in the conversation between Lysa and Littlefinger was awful? It felt very forced, almost as if she was talking directly to the audience.

She's crackers, wants to be wed immediately and reminding Pete of what she has done in order to get the deed done quickly.

Btw I believe wolves don't howl as loudly as she did!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

Unless I missed a boob last night.... was last night the first episode ever without any nudity in it??!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

Degag wrote: »
    Unless I missed a boob last night.... was last night the first episode ever without any nudity in it??!!!!
    you are right degag there was no boobies at all in this ep
    it better not happen again:pac:

Advertisement