Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 5 "First of His Name": *HAVEN'T* Read The Books

Options
  • 05-05-2014 6:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Solid episode. Great to see the return of Sansa's mental aunt. Loved the scenes at her place. Interesting to hear a bit of background on her too and what she had to do with the happenings in King's Landing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Solid episode. Great to see the return of Sansa's mental aunt. Loved the scenes at her place. Interesting to hear a bit of background on her too and what she had to do with the happenings in King's Landing.

Yes very enjoyable episode.Quite obvious Petyr Baelish loves Sansa although she's promised to Lysa's as still breastfeeding son Robin!

LOL re Arya list of those to be put to the sword.

Daenarys is not as yet going to head for King's Landing.She can't even keep control of the cities that she has previously taken.Her forces are inadequate for an assault on King's Landing.

Cersei in spite of hatred of Margaery accepts the financial reality that she must accept a political alliance with the Tyrells,no more gold in the mines and heavy indebtness of the House of Lannister to the Iron Bank.

Stannis Baratheon and the Red Woman seem to have disappeared.

Strong ending,justice served at Craster's Keep with the slaughter of the mutineers.Nice to see the demise of Locke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Its slow enough this season. Very enjoyable but I cant get used to this 1 hour a week! The hound was very funny. It looks like Dany won't be going anywhere soon. I thought the assault on kings landing was coming up but now looks like she is retracing her steps and has to free more slaves. She has boats though. Where are the dothraki? And the dragons? Good episode though. Feck this I'm off to read the books

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bmwguy wrote: »
    Its slow enough this season. Very enjoyable but I cant get used to this 1 hour a week! The hound was very funny. It looks like Dany won't be going anywhere soon. I thought the assault on kings landing was coming up but now looks like she is retracing her steps and has to free more slaves. She has boats though. Where are the dothraki? And the dragons? Good episode though. Feck this I'm off to read the books

She only had a handful of Dothraki left when she arrived in Qarth in season 2 and a lot of them were killed, the rest scattered when they were crossing the Red Waste as they wouldnt take orders from a woman or something, Jorah mentions it at some point back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

krudler wrote: »
    She only had a handful of Dothraki left when she arrived in Qarth in season 2 and a lot of them were killed, the rest scattered when they were crossing the Red Waste as they wouldnt take orders from a woman or something, Jorah mentions it at some point back then.

Yeah its the deserters I was thinking about. I'm sure they'll pop back in to it at some stage

Jesus that was a huge episode.

Everything that has happened since season 1 episode 1 is actually as a result of littlefinger. Can't believe it.

I also thought that the Lannister's seemed really vulnerable after this episode. What Tywin was saying about their debts and the mines is quite significant - especially considering it now appears that they were manipulated into the war just like the Starks.

Quite significant also that Dany isn't too pushed on Westeros anymore either.

Cersei's scenes were class too - actually being nice to people to ensure a guilty verdict for Tyrion.

I bet Shea is brought in during the trial by Cersei, no way she wouldn't use that.

Good episode, nice fight at the end. Jesus the week is going to be long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭fluke

Jon is becoming such a badass. Overall, this episode was a huge improvement from the last two episodes.

The Daenerys stuff was far more interesting than it has been. Nice to see it was a council meeting as opposed to the usual travelling bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Bank holiday Mondays!! :D:D:D Game of Thrones in the morning!

That was a class episode, loved it. I was really glad to see them reach Crastor's place and take it just one episode later, I expected 4 weeks of a journey. I was really glad Jon and Bran managed to not die, I suppose thats the advantage of killing off main characters on a whim, no one is safe.

Jon and his dire wolf :D He sounded alot like Ned Stark for a bit there. What was that new theme that was played at the end, is it Jon Starks theme? I think they are giving the characters their own themes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Great episode. Straight off the bat, the show feels stronger without the Red Woman storyline. I'm sure it will go somewhere at some stage but this weeks episode confirmed for me that it is the weakest link.

The Arya & Hound stuff was great as usual. Interesting to see her "dance master" style of fighting challenged by the Hound. Good to see her developing her skilz. That had gone by the wayside for a while. I wonder how far away from the Aunt they are now? Will be fun to see the two Stark girls reunite.

I thought Danaery was finally gonna make a move on Westeros but it makes sense that all is not done and dusted in the East (or whatever that continent is called). I'm glad it's being addressed that rocking up to a city, sacking it and leaving is not "job done". It's quite clear she is already spreading herself thin. Where exactly is she gonna get more soldiers from too. Loyal ones at that.

Finally, the stuff north of the wall was the best. Hodor put to good use again :) I thought it odd Bran wasn't using his powers to try help themselves but it paid off in the end. Did not expect Locke to be taken out of the equation so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Great episode. Shows how influential Littlefinger and Varys have been since season 1. Gutted Locke is dead though, didn't think he would go that easy. So where has Ramsey Snow/Bolton gone to? Thought he was going with Locke to find Bran and Rickon, or did he go the Iron Islands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Dany is realising the difference between conquering and ruling. A lot of others also realising some long term truths/matters in various story lines.

Glad the Crasters arc wasn't dragged out.

The Eyrie is some mad house.

Oh and Hodor; Hodor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Brandon's stupid long hair is pissing me off a lot this season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Brandon's stupid long hair is pissing me off a lot this season

It's hard to get an appointment for a barber when you're on the run I suppose..

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

Cersei cock-blocking Margery like:

cockblock.gif

Cersei cock-blocking Margery like:

[/IMG]

More like Cersei cock blocking Tommen, poor lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Love that Arya's list is getting longer. Does anyone think that she's probably not going to make it to the aunt's place, that something's going to come in the way? I reckon herself and the Hound are going to run into trouble and Arya might end up somewhere else. Is the faceless assassin or whatever he's called still out there? Because doesn't he still owe Arya a killing? He might rear his head again, which could spell the end of the Hound.

I agree with someone above saying that Shae might reappear to be used in Tyrion's trial. Can't wait for the trial actually. Tyrion vs. Tywin is going to make for some great dialogue, I'm sure. It'll be great to see Peter Dinklage and Charles Dance in full flight opposite each other.

Just when I thought Danaerys was going to start making progress, we're now backtracking again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Excellent episode this week.

I wasn't a fan of the Bran story up until last week, great to see some story lines merge, with Jon Snow only feet away from Bran only for Bran to continue on his quest to find the three eyed raven.

Big shock that it was littlefinger behind the Jon Arayn killing. That Lysa Aaryn lady is crazy.

Can't wait to see how the whole Lannister debt to the Iron bank pans out. Seems like the Lannisters are living off the house name without any gold to back it up.

Also, Didn't Davos write a letter to the Iron Bank a few episodes ago in Stannis' name ? That storyline should be interesting.

HODOR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Saganist wrote: »
    Also, Didn't Davos write a letter to the Iron Bank a few episodes ago in Stannis' name ? That storyline should be interesting.

Is there a possibility that he may have told the Iron Bank that the Lannisters are effectively waging war with their money under false pretenses? That they have no rightful claim to the throne and yet are using all this money to try and keep themselves there. The Iron Bank may favour Stannis if they know that the throne is technically his.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Is there a possibility that he may have told the Iron Bank that the Lannisters are effectively waging war with their money under false pretenses? That they have no rightful claim to the throne and yet are using all this money to try and keep themselves there. The Iron Bank may favour Stannis if they know that the throne is technically his.

I thought it was just as basic as saying that if the iron bank side with Stannis he can repay the iron bank whatever goods the Lanisters have remaining after the war

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Good episode, getting confirmation that Littlefinger is behind nearly every sinister plot in the show. I can imagine a big storyline involving his future. Enjoying Arya and the Hound, Brienne and Pod seems like it could be good too. All these episodes seem to be building up to some big ones near the end of the season. Really want to see what happens with Walder Frey. Where is Brynden Tully? Surely well get something about that. Can't wait for next few episodes. Expecting a lot of plot lines to develop and of course a few main characters dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I actually felt a bit sorry for littlefinger when the crazy lady was basically forcing herself on him

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I actually felt a bit sorry for littlefinger when the crazy lady was basically forcing herself on him

She's only doing it because she knows he was in love with Caitlyn and obviously has some feelings for Sansa

I can see Robin or Lysa falling out of the hole that he threw the bird down. I'm hoping I'm right!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I can see Robin or Lysa falling out of the hole that he threw the bird down. I'm hoping I'm right!

Both with a bit of luck and robin still on the tit

naughto wrote: »
    Both with a bit of luck and robin still on the tit

Hahaha with what we've seen so far it wouldn't surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That revelation that Littlefinger and Lysa were behind Jon Arryn's death was huge, one of the biggest reveals in the show so far.

Great episode. Some send off for Karl up in Craster's Keep. The sound effects!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Some good stuff:
    Littlefinger/Sansa reveleations
    Caster's Keep business

Some borefest:
    King's Landing soap opera
    Arya/Hound filler.
    Brienne/yer man boredom
    Dany - meh

Thankfully the crap segments were kept short except for the King's Landing waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Fleabottom glug to the face. Calling it now; Jon's going down to hepatitis.

Also, I always thought Littlefinger was named because he was damaged goods downstairs. Guess that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

Very good episode, such a great season so far.

Arya is probably my favourite character at the moment along with Jon Snow (who knows nothing) and Margaery Tyrell for her ability to play the game so well.

If any of those kick it I won't be best pleased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Love that Arya's list is getting longer. Does anyone think that she's probably not going to make it to the aunt's place, that something's going to come in the way? I reckon herself and the Hound are going to run into trouble and Arya might end up somewhere else. Is the faceless assassin or whatever he's called still out there? Because doesn't he still owe Arya a killing? He might rear his head again, which could spell the end of the Hound.
    Jaqen doesn't owe her a kill. Arya asked him to help her escape and he said that would be more than one kill so Arya gave him his own name and told him to kill himself. To get her to take back the name, he helped her escape which was essentially the last name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Kold wrote: »
    Fleabottom glug to the face. Calling it now; Jon's going down to hepatitis.

Also, I always thought Littlefinger was named because he was damaged goods downstairs. Guess that's not the case.
    Vary's is the one who is missing his meat and two veg. Peter is called Littlefinger because he is from the Fingers (a rocky penninsula) and Peter's father was Lord of the smallest of them. He hates being reminded that he was born into one of the lesser houses, as that was the reason he couldn't marry Catelyn Stark and a driving force behind his desire to become the most powerful man in Westeros.

Advertisement