Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4; Episode 4: 'Oathkeeper'; *Have NOT* Read the Books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's Obsidian. Sam says so when they first found the cache.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Fire isn't too hard to get either!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

KerranJast wrote: »
    I disagree. He's been wonderfully devious. That whole Chaos is a Ladder scene with Varys last season was great.

Totally agree,mystified by the lack of love for Aidan Gillen,plays the machiavellian Littlefinger really well.Loved his one on one scheming interludes with Varys.His absence from Kings Landing has greatly lessened the devious back biting and politicking that was so prominent in earlier seasons and which was a personal highlight.

Certainly his Jack Sparrow like accent is pretty annoying,here's hoping he returns back to his accent in earlier seasons.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

seligehgit wrote: »
    Totally agree,mystified by the lack of love for Aidan Gillen,plays the machiavellian Littlefinger really well.Loved his one on one scheming interludes with Varys.His absence from Kings Landing has greatly lessened the devious back biting and politicking that was so prominent in earlier seasons and which was a personal highlight.

Certainly his Jack Sparrow like accent is pretty annoying,here's hoping he returns back to his accent in earlier seasons.

Thought Gillen was grand this week since his accent seemed to revert back to Season 1 Littlefinger for the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Can i get a quick recap on the mutineers at crasters and how they got there? Googling is never a safe option :/

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Can i get a quick recap on the mutineers at crasters and how they got there? Googling is never a safe option :/

The Nightswatch all legged it there after the WW attack. Tensions rose between Craster and a few of them as they were accusing him of keeping the food supply from them, then the mutiny happened, Mormont was murdered and Sam legged it with Gilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Remember when the Knights watch were staying there? And their leader was attacked and killed by there own guys? It was when Sam ran off with Crasters daughter(one of them anyway).
    Well they guys who killed their own leader and started that mutiny stayed there. That's them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm currently on a rewatch of the whole series. Once Season 4 started I realised that I remember f*ck all of Season 3 bar one or two of the main plot points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Honestly, this website is brilliant for keeping up to date: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Karl_Tanner. I often pause it if there is mention of someone I can't remember. The show is far better if you aren't confused by the little things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I think Gillen actually portrays his character well but the accent does let him down, I didn't mind it at all in the 1st few seasons though and I think it also wasn't as bad this episode.

In regards to the graphic scenes, I think they kind of have to put them in in a sense. They have created a world where this is largely an acceptable or at least regular act. It wouldn't make sense for them to create that world but yet then when a bunch of the scummiest people in that universe find themselves in compete control of a group of women that they would just decide to leave the girls alone. It was also important to show the danger Bran is in.

I really like the Bran story-line but I just cannot stand the actor who plays him, and his damn long hair!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

Bacchus wrote: »

I found myself really warming to Jamie again. Himself and Tyrion are great on screen together and there were lots of nice nods to events in previous seasons here. Those scenes when Brienne were awesome. I don't think he realised he loved her until that moment she was leaving. Great scene. And Pod!! Looking forward to the adventures of Brienne and Pod.

Anyone else think that Jaime is only sending Brienne to find Sansa to keep Cersei happy and put her head on a spike?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

Grimebox wrote: »
    This website is good for information because you can easily avoid book related stuff. Dragon glass is obsidian which is made from volcanic rock, so maybe its not that rare. It does shatter on contact of a walker though. If the white walkers reproduce in such a strange manner, there probably isn't all that many of them.

Does the "In the books" section of that website contain future spoilers?

Degag wrote: »
    Anyone else think that Jaime is only sending Brienne to find Sansa to keep Cersei happy and put her head on a spike?

How the feck did Cersai know Brienne was in love with Jaime? Even I didn't know that until Cersai confronted Brienne

Does the "In the books" section of that website contain future spoilers?

I can't vouch for every "In the books" section, but in that particular article, there are no spoilers. Just more information about dragon glass and one difference in how the weapons were found.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Bacchus wrote: »
    Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. Screw you showrunners! That "rape em till their dead" scene in the camp with women being brutally raped all around as that evil fcuker drank out of a skull was the final straw for my wife. She has now sworn off the show. Not that I blame her, it was a vile scene, probably as bad as anything shown before. Really wish the showrunners would stop trying to outdo themselves. We get it, Westeros is full of evil and danger, particularly for women. You don't have to shove it so violently in our faces.

110% agree. That scene lifted me totally out of my 'tv watching trance' and plopped me back in the real world. I couldn't settle for the rest of the episode then. It was just too much. Maybe the line would have been enough without the background raping, or else the background raping without the line - either would have conveyed the fúcked-upness of the set-up but the two together was unnecessary and seriously disturbing.

I don't think the Game of Thrones wiki goes ahead of the show when it mentions the books just says any differences, just don't go into the A Song of Ice & Fire wiki by mistake!

There are some things that may be considered spoilers though regarding certain characters as a result of the show toning down the fantasy aspects of the books so tread carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

He told Brienne to find Sansa and take her someplace safe. King's Landing wouldn't be her first choice I bet!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Naydy wrote: »
    Totally agree. It's not necessary in my opinion, it's purely for shock value. If they were truly going for a gritty portrayal of life in Westoros, why aren't there more scenes of hanged soldiers ravaged by animals, people fighting over rats during the food shortage in King's Landing, murder of children, even men getting raped? Why is there a focus on the sexual crimes against women? You've more than got your point across, women were horribly exploited, can you stop with these scenes now please.

In fairness, people getting nailed to crosses is pretty brutal, as happened last night. There's fairly horrible murders in most episodes, as well as lots of other horrible stuff. The scene at the start of episode two with the dogs ripping the girl to shreds after the chase was worse than any rape scene for me.

It's not a show for the faint hearted. It depicts some very sick concepts and acts. If you're not comfortable with these scenes you maybe shouldn't be watching the program. This is George RR Martin's story, he can tell it however he wants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

snausages wrote: »
    Actually a lot of the really controversial stuff seem to be divergences from GRRM's story.

There's a huge amount of rape in the books, some of which people think is excessively glamorised. A female friend of mine wrote a thesis on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

In fairness, people getting nailed to crosses is pretty brutal, as happened last night. There's fairly horrible murders in most episodes, as well as lots of other horrible stuff. The scene at the start of episode two with the dogs ripping the girl to shreds after the chase was worse than any rape scene for me.

It's not a show for the faint hearted. It depicts some very sick concepts and acts. If you're not comfortable with these scenes you maybe shouldn't be watching the program. This is George RR Martin's story, he can tell it however he wants.

I don't deny that violence is important to the core of the story but this scene was close to crossing a line for me. You didn't actually see the girl getting ripped apart, whereas you saw multiple women getting raped with close up shots. As for it being GRRM's story
    this scene wasn't in the book I've been reliably informed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Grimebox wrote: »
    Honestly, this website is brilliant for keeping up to date: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Karl_Tanner. I often pause it if there is mention of someone I can't remember. The show is far better if you aren't confused by the little things

I had completely forgotten what had happened, or even who Mormont was :/

I also didn't realise who Locke was even though i recognised his face!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Rape em till their dead didnt bother me

The leaving of the baby in the woods did though, and did the first time too. Not comfortable with scenes that depict harm to kids/infants at all, which I suppose is natural!

The rape scene in the keep was run of the mill stuff though, just reminding you and making you fully aware how these men are of no moral code whatsoever and are bad guys, not to be liked or even the slightest sympathy given. Its a cheap story telling trick to be perfectly honest, speeds up development of what the director wants the audience to feel for certain characters.

The nailing of the lads to the crosses was worse then that scene actually

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

snausages wrote: »
    I agree with the criticisms about that scene. It was way too much and the narrative justification for it is flimsy. We know Westeros is a **** place for women, every episode this season has highlighted that fact. I don't care what the fanboys think, the series has way too many of those scenes.

I think they use these shocking scenes to demonstrate "the bad guys". In a world so full of murky characters who reside in the grey area between it's a kind of dumbing down (I imagine) of the original story for TV purposes so they can clearly demonstrate the few characters you're actually supposed to have zero sympathy for such as Joffrey, Locke and the Bolton's, the Mutineers up in Craster's, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

kryogen wrote: »
    Rape em till their dead didnt bother me

The leaving of the baby in the woods did though, and did the first time too. Not comfortable with scenes that depict harm to kids/infants at all, which I suppose is natural!
    It's uncomfortable reading, but leaving babies to die of exposure was incredibly common throughout history. (Just think of how Hansel and Gretel ended up in the woods).
    And in fairness to the White Walkers, they are saving these children. GO TEAM WHITE WALKERS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

kryogen wrote: »

The rape scene in the keep was run of the mill stuff though, just reminding you and making you fully aware how these men are of no moral code whatsoever and are bad guys, not to be liked or even the slightest sympathy given. Its a cheap story telling trick to be perfectly honest, speeds up development of what the director wants the audience to feel for certain characters.

Replied before I read your comment, exactly my thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

But that scene was off camera. It was left for you as the viewer to decide and imagine the horror and suffering that girl went through with the dogs ripping her apart. The rape scene in crasters is unneccessarily shown imo. We know they're a degraded lot. We dont have to have every last detail of their inhumanity projected on screen. Sometimes its better for the viewer to imagine the atrocities for themselves.

The story is George RR Martin's , but this is an interpretation of it for TV. I dont feel the producers/directors have done a really good job at all this season of interpreting the books.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    The story is George RR Martin's , but this is an interpretation of it for TV. I dont feel the producers/directors have done a really good job at all this season of interpreting the books.

If you're of that opinion you probably shouldn't be posting in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

mayordenis wrote: »
    If you're of that opinion you probably shouldn't be posting in this thread.

Probaby not but reply was in relation to someone saying this was "GRR Martin's story and he can tell whatever way he wants" . My point is valid whether you've read the books or not. This is a TV show and any TV show based on a series of books is an interpretation of the original authors works. Sure Martin himself had to come out and distance himself from the jaime/cersei rape scene last week. People who've not read GoT shouldnt use the books as a justifcation as to what goes on in the TV show.

I'll be off now. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭golfball37

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Probaby not but reply was in relation to someone saying this was "GRR Martin's story and he can tell whatever way he wants" . My point is valid whether you've read the books or not. This is a TV show and any TV show based on a series of books is an interpretation of the original authors works. Sure Martin himself had to come out and distance himself from the jaime/cersei rape scene last week. People who've not read GoT shouldnt use the books as a justifcation as to what goes on in the TV show.

I'll be off now. :P

Exactly- I've read a few bad reviews of this TV episode on IMDB because some of the material is not in the books or it wasn't true to the books.

What that has to do with the merits of something being a good or bad hour of TV mystyfies me to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It's not George RR Martin's story though, so I don't know why that's being used to defend it. The rape stuff doesn't happen in the books. It is definitely HBO including it for the sake if being provocative.

Advertisement