Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heading off on holidays this year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 wetdarknight2

Lisdoon lisdoon lisdoonVVARNA

Decided today I'm going to take a very cheap holiday to Poland or Slovakia this year. Hostel and living on sangiches job. Anyone been to Slovakia?

Hostel, good movie that.

Enjoy your trip legs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Las Vegas In 3days for a week for my best friends wedding - absolutely sick about it too - I hate flying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

I'm thinking Poland could be a better destination and I could travel round a bit backpacking and maybe the country is better prepared for that kinda stuff than Slovakia? I've heard great things about Dansk. I only chose Slovakia because I had a housemate from there and she posted up photos of herself snowboarding in the mountains there and it looked really gorgeous and it's off the beaten track a bit as far as Europe goes (so could be cheap). She was also extremely sound so I would be hoping to meet more people like her.

I'm thinking Poland on a shoestring though. You'd recommend it overall?

I think it can be done Legs, Gdansk and the whole sea front sounds very appealing to me and food and drink can be quite cheap. I'm not sure what are the costs in regards transport and accommodation but I think you'd be able to budget well. I only spent few days in Krakow but I had a ball, the service was great (Czech rep. and Slovakia have a lot of work to do in that matter), locals were friendly and they seemed to be very well prepared for the tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Bun Dobhráin for a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bagofweasels

My OH and our beloved offspring are heading to America on Wednesday. MY holiday starts at about 7.30am (when their train pulls out of the station)!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

LizT wrote: »
    Was in Bali a few weeks ago, thinking of Thailand or Vietnam for a few weeks in the summer and then Sri Lanka in the October break. The benefits of working in the desert :D

The rainy season begins in July in Thailand(can begin as early as June-ish). I think the rainy season begins even earlier in Vietnam. The rainy season lasts until October(from late September on its usually not too bad, heavy downpours then sun clears it right up).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't have real job since I'm student so I don't know if this counts but I'm going to Africa for 2 months. Africa is greatly overlooked as a holiday destination imo. Its expensive to get there, but once you're there its dirt cheap so you can stay for ages! I'll be in Uganda for most of it.
    I think when a lot of people think of Africa they think of famine, horrible diseases and pirates.

I'm going to Botswana and Zimbabwe next month, I haven't been to either country before so really looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've never been to Portugal, Spain etc. Never been on any sun holiday apart from when we were kids we went to Budva in Montenegro (Yugoslavia back then) for two weeks and it was awesome.

Got a nice tax rebate after being absolutely fleeced and struggling for years so we said feck it and booked a cheap sun holiday in Albufeira, Portugal for mid June.

May as well go before little fella turns 2!
    sadie06 wrote: »
    We'll take in a week in Achill with family also.

Achill is great. Used to go there most summers as a kid and we rented a house last August. It's so beautiful.
    cabledude wrote: »
    You mentioned the baggage. We are also going with Falcon. What it the allowance per child/adult for checked bags? Can you also bring a hand baggage? Any weight restrictions on this?

I've booked with Falcon, 20kg baggage each (10kg for under 2's). Hand luggage up to 5kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Mink wrote: »
    I've booked with Falcon, 20kg baggage each (10kg for under 2's). Hand luggage up to 5kg.
    So the four of us can bring 100kg in total. Sound....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

pundy wrote: »
    oh, i dont work anywhere fancy at all, by any stretch.

just dont waste money on "nights out" or the latest TV and i dont have kids or drive a car, so i just spend every cent on travel.

so it's just pay my mortgage and book my holidays.

It's not the money, but the free time that impresses me!

There are people here must be on 10 weeks holidays a year.

Fair play though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I'm thinking Poland could be a better destination and I could travel round a bit backpacking and maybe the country is better prepared for that kinda stuff than Slovakia? I've heard great things about Dansk. I only chose Slovakia because I had a housemate from there and she posted up photos of herself snowboarding in the mountains there and it looked really gorgeous and it's off the beaten track a bit as far as Europe goes (so could be cheap). She was also extremely sound so I would be hoping to meet more people like her.

I'm thinking Poland on a shoestring though. You'd recommend it overall?

If you're on a budget Poland is a good option. Very cheap accommodation and grub. Krakow is a beautiful city. They have free walking tours and live music in the old town square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Decided today I'm going to take a very cheap holiday to Poland or Slovakia this year. Hostel and living on sangiches job. Anyone been to Slovakia?

Crossed the Poland border to Slovakia while hiking. The Tatra mountains are amazing but that's pretty much all of Slovakia I saw.

Hoping to go somewhere in August for ten(ish) days but not sure, I'll how the funds are. I'm thinking Germany :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

FTA 69 pick your brains about Basque Country going there in 3 weeks San Sebastian, Bilbao and Santander just a mini break. 10 days in Sept to London from there so kinda like going home (need a week to get round on relatives and friends).
    If weather good might try and do a few staycations in Summer Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher running out of places to go in Europe and havent seen tons of Ireland :o
    Would love to do a long haul next year if money doesnt stretch though will try and get to Slovenia or Istanbul

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

I'm 22, never been abroad, never had a holiday.

I hate you all :p

What :eek:
    Get booking somewhere you are missing out big time I had my first "foreign" (not counting UK holidays - over and back on Sealink/B&I ferries) at 14 to France and the travel bug seriously bit me. Like coffee I need my fix of abroad every year trying to do a different country every year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Bringing the bf to Edinburgh for his birthday next weekend, Rome then end of the month, then Download festival in June!

Hoping to head to Croatia if I can get the funds together by July, that or Disneyworld - bit far fetched I know but well see! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Heading to Cuba during the summer. Can't wait

There will also be a trip to London and from there maybe Oxford and Cheltenham/Cotswolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm 22, never been abroad, never had a holiday.

I hate you all :p

I was kinda a later starter too. Don't sweat it, the world will wait for you :D

• Advertisement

Whats on your wish list? money no object mine is

Shorthaul Istanbul, Morocco, Slovenia, Romania, Iceland, Florence, South of France region
    Longhaul South America, Russia, Cuba and Japan

I can dream :rolleyes: would be happy if I can get to most of these places in the next 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    If you're on a budget Poland is a good option. Very cheap accommodation and grub. Krakow is a beautiful city. They have free walking tours and live music in the old town square.

Have you been to Spain? Would it be cheaper than Spain, do you think?

Yeah most of Eastern Europe is cheap Krakow we had 3.50 cocktails and 1.50 beer and the vodka is strong ;) It is a beautiful city
    Spain, Greece and Cyprus cheap too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Might head up to Leitrim when I get a chance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Have you been to Spain? Would it be cheaper than Spain, do you think?

Well worth a visit-Lovely people and cheaper than Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

miss choc wrote: »

Shorthaul Istanbul, Morocco, Slovenia, Romania, Iceland, Florence, South of France region

I can dream :rolleyes: would be happy if I can get to most of these places in the next 10 years.

Been to Iceland, it's fantastic, but expensive. Well worth it though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd love to but probably cant afford it, would love to go back somewhere like barcelona, had such a good time there. Should get over to amsterdam soon though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Going to South Africa on honeymoon this September! First trip out of Europe in a long time. Really can't wait, just have all this wedding stuff to get out of the way first.

ditto on Leitrim Carrick is a great spot but i'm biased :D love it there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

miss choc wrote: »

Orient Express, Japan, St. Petersburg, LA

Advertisement