Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heading off on holidays this year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Heading off to Malta on Thursday for 5 nights, super excited! I haven't been abroad in over two years, and haven't been to the sun in even longer, my ex was allergic to it :D

Hoping to head to Portugal as well in September for a short break, as my friend's dad has a house there.

Someone mentioned Cape Clear, I did actually head there last year for "holidays" (well a long weekend!) and it was absolutely beautiful, we were really lucky we got good weather for it, felt like being abroad somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Booked flights to Barcelona last week for a few days in August for the fiances 30th. Staying near la Ramblas, can't wait :)

urabell wrote: »
    Sounds nice but I imagine when you get there it's more famine, dengue fever and machete wielding rebels than safari, sunshine and cultural enrichment.

Africa is more than just the hotspots, Uganda has it's problems but they're more cultural than military or security related. Very interesting place with a chequered history and a population with a story to tell. It's one of the safest destinations in Africa.

I'm heading to NY for a few days before I have to start my summer job. It's been decided that my travelling companion will be my granny, and I'm delighted with that, she's great company and I love spending time with her.:) Can't wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

We are heading to Cornwall for 5 days, and then up to family in London for 4. We'll take in a week in Achill with family also, and hopefully a couple of camping weekends in Ireland.

sadie06 wrote: »
    We are heading to Cornwall for 5 days, and then up to family in London for 4. We'll take in a week in Achill with family also, and hopefully a couple of camping weekends in Ireland.

I love Cornwall, it's a beautiful part of the world. Never get fed up with London either.

Achill I could live without, but that's probably more weather-related :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Went to Achill for the first time last year. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great when we were there but it's beautiful, I'd love to go back. Stayed in this fantastic guest house with the best food! Apparently it's a popular swingers location although we didn't test that rumour out :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Going to Malta for a wedding and making a holiday of it. Can't wait!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I'd love to visit Cornwall. I'm half thinking of doing the east coast, wales/scotland/england, next year. We'll see. :P

Candie wrote: »
    I love Cornwall, it's a beautiful part of the world. Never get fed up with London either.

Achill I could live without, but that's probably more weather-related :).

Oh that's so true of Achill. We were just there for Easter, and the weather was glorious. I would love to be able to charter a helicopter (must start doing the lotto) on days like that and have friends there immediately to see it, as it's such a different place when the weather is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

not well enough to travel; the mere thought makes me...dunroamin...

sometimes i drive a longer way home, through the mountains, or sit by the sea instead and that refeshes enough.....

last holiday was early 1980s, driving across france etc

no money anyways.

love seeing all the old wans piling off the ulsterbus tours at market. revelling in ice cream and struggling with euros...same folk year after year

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    not well enough to travel; the mere thought makes me...dunroamin...

sometimes i drive a longer way home, through the mountains, or sit by the sea instead and that refeshes enough.....

last holiday was early 1980s, driving across france etc

no money anyways.

love seeing all the old wans piling off the ulsterbus tours at market. revelling in ice cream and struggling with euros...same folk year after year

You should be dropping broad hints to the family about lavish jaunts to the fleshpots of Europe, Grace. :)

cassid wrote: »
    Had first holiday in 7 years last summer, one of mine lads is always sick (has a long term illness) so headed down south of Ireland, managed 4 good days day before ended up in Cork hospital. Not sure if want to risk it this year, poor guy felt awful that we had to cut the holiday short, don't want him feeling guilty again like this.

been there done that too many times myself in past decades. would just a weekend work maybe...

You should be dropping broad hints to the family about lavish jaunts to the fleshpots of Europe, Grace. :)

yukk!

would hate that! i have m.e and am only up and about a few hours a day.
    all family live overseas anyways but i cannot travel like that. thankful for the internet and peace here.

Went to Achill for the first time last year. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great when we were there but it's beautiful, I'd love to go back. Stayed in this fantastic guest house with the best food! Apparently it's a popular swingers location although we didn't test that rumour out :pac:

Well I never! Can't wait to inform the inlaws, who think the very worst of Dublin! :-)

Oh that's so true of Achill. We were just there for Easter, and the weather was glorious. I would love to be able to charter a helicopter (must start doing the lotto) on days like that and have friends there immediately to see it, as it's such a different place when the weather is bad.

come to kerry! utter glory

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Last year I was in Las Vegas and Palestine as well as managing to get back to Ireland three times.

This year I was in Ireland and also the Basque Country for a week which was amazing, one of the best weeks of my life. Tomorrow I'm heading off to Cuba for ten days for a stomp around Havana and Vinales.

I'm looking at heading to Morocco or back to the Basque Country in November.

To be honest for the first time in my life I'm on a decent enough salary and I spent all my time up until the age of 25 broke as f*ck either working to put myself through university or else working two jobs to put myself through an internship. I also split up with my ex before Christmas so am saving a fortune as I don't have to shell out for an apartment anymore. Life is for living after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Costa del sol in Spain for two weeks in July I cannot wait!

Graces7 wrote: »
    yukk!

would hate that! i have m.e and am only up and about a few hours a day.
    all family live overseas anyways but i cannot travel like that. thankful for the internet and peace here.

Well then I hope your peace brings you all the contentment you need, and I hope your ME improves alongside the broken wrist I've heard you mention.

If you have a spot outside for a chair and the sun is shining, then you can have a five-minute holiday every day. :)

FTA69 wrote: »
    Tomorrow I'm heading off to Cuba for ten days for a stomp around Havana and Vinales.

Jealous Jealous Jealous
    :)

Jaysis If I want holiday small-talk I'll go to my hair dressers

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    Tomorrow I'm heading off to Cuba for ten days for a stomp around Havana and Vinales.

Do check out the local Irish Trad music whilst there! :-)

http://www.thejournal.ie/cuba-uilleann-pipes-1433102-Apr2014/

Jaysis If I want holiday small-talk I'll go to my hair dressers

Okay, give us some holiday big talk then.

I think it's nice hearing peoples plans. I like thinking of people having something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No real surprise for the AH forum but my god there are real narrow minded posts regarding what is/isn't a holiday..

Feck sake, if you get away and you feel its a holiday then its a holiday !

Be it Achill, London, Algarve or France.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tonto24

Heading to Zakynthos with herself in June for a week, Tomorrowland festival in July, and will prob visit my bro in NYC in Sept! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Seems like the recession has ended in AH at least :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Do check out the local Irish Trad music whilst there! :-)

http://www.thejournal.ie/cuba-uilleann-pipes-1433102-Apr2014/

Mate this looks absolutely amazing. Thanks for this, I'd have killed myself if I'd have been out there and missed it!

Okay, give us some holiday big talk then.

I think it's nice hearing peoples plans. I like thinking of people having something to look forward to.

That's fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

My sister will be working in Alicante this summer, so I think I'll head over to her for a week in July.

I've been to Spain a good few times so I had been hoping to see somewhere else, but a holiday is a holiday! Especially if there's free accommodation involved ;)

Spain is awesome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Las Vegas then staying out in the middle of nowhere in New York state.

Have to do the LV experience, so I'll do something like get married to a shoe by Elvis in a chapel made out of biscuits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kaycee2

Already had my holiday this year, went to lanzarote, this is the first year my youngest had her own seat on the plane so thought we could go the extra hour on the plane with no bother but no, spent the entire flight running up and down the aisle and playing with tap in the toilet

Have you considered Majorca? There's some lovely towns along the coast line away from the more lively places like santa ponsa or magaluf, Falcon can be competitive enough in high season when you take into account baggage and transfer fees

Advertisement