Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heading off on holidays this year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Kaycee2 wrote: »
    Already had my holiday this year, went to lanzarote, this is the first year my youngest had her own seat on the plane so thought we could go the extra hour on the plane with no bother but no, spent the entire flight running up and down the aisle and playing with tap in the toilet

Have you considered Majorca? There's some lovely towns along the coast line away from the more lively places like santa ponsa or magaluf, Falcon can be competitive enough in high season when you take into account baggage and transfer fees
    Going there in late August. Looking forward to it.

You mentioned the baggage. We are also going with Falcon. What it the allowance per child/adult for checked bags? Can you also bring a hand baggage? Any weight restrictions on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Was in Bali a few weeks ago, thinking of Thailand or Vietnam for a few weeks in the summer and then Sri Lanka in the October break. The benefits of working in the desert :D

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kaycee2

You mentioned the baggage. We are also going with Falcon. What it the allowance per child/adult for checked bags? Can you also bring a hand baggage? Any weight restrictions on this?[/QUOTE]

I think it was 20kg the kids had the same allowance when we were going so it was more than enough, enjoy

LizT wrote: »
    Was in Bali a few weeks ago, thinking of Thailand or Vietnam for a few weeks in the summer and then Sri Lanka in the October break. The benefits of working in the desert :D

More jealous :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

My new years resolution was to holiday more because I dont go anywhere. My first time on a plane was last year at 30.

This year, im going to Dublin for 5 nights of Garth Brooks and thats killing me (money wise). But then im moving to Scotland in September. I've never been so im looking forward to doing the touristy things. So I guess that will be like a holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

A week in Cork, hopefully.

The kids are in primary school, and we've spent the last few years putting aside what we can for secondary school fees. The school we want to send them to in a few years time is fee-paying. We're making sacrifices, but it's our choice. Other people choose to put money into holidays instead, and that's fine too.

Anybody begrudging that education, or looking to penalise families who choose it, needs to read this thread and gain some perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

No plans to go anywhere this year :) I was in Belfast and some of the North for a week last year, which was a really nice trip! A few trips to the beach will have to suffice this summer, maybe something bigger next year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Going to three weddings this year (one of which is abroad and I'm going one of the stags which abroad as well) so just taking a week in Ireland this year.

I actually like holidays here especially if you get good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

London for 1 week in July and then 2 weeks with my Polish girlfriend to Poland in August.

Then if everything goes to plan, 1-2 years working holiday in Canada after that :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

This year, im going to Dublin for 5 nights of Garth Brooks and thats killing me (money wise). But then im moving to Scotland in September. I've never been so im looking forward to doing the touristy things. So I guess that will be like a holiday.

5 nights? The same concert 5 times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

bluewolf wrote: »
    5 nights? The same concert 5 times?

Sounds like hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

We were in lovely Poland for 5 days in January (the best time to go)
    Heading to Corfu for 3 weeks on June 25th for my 50th birthday :)
    I plan to do absolutely nothing!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Candie wrote: »
    Well then I hope your peace brings you all the contentment you need, and I hope your ME improves alongside the broken wrist I've heard you mention.

If you have a spot outside for a chair and the sun is shining, then you can have a five-minute holiday every day. :)

just did that!

and there are so many lovely places and new roads to take.

animaal wrote: »
    A week in Cork, hopefully.

The kids are in primary school, and we've spent the last few years putting aside what we can for secondary school fees. The school we want to send them to in a few years time is fee-paying. We're making sacrifices, but it's our choice. Other people choose to put money into holidays instead, and that's fine too.

Anybody begrudging that education, or looking to penalise families who choose it, needs to read this thread and gain some perspective.

good thinking...not going along with the herd..

Candie wrote: »
    Okay, give us some holiday big talk then.

I think it's nice hearing peoples plans. I like thinking of people having something to look forward to.

absolutely so. a big issue here is the dogs and cats...no babysitter.

used to love driving around in the uk and the continent, camping mostly. love the snails ie the camper vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Nothing this year, saving it all for next year, Cuba and the Maldives :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Seems like the recession has ended in AH at least :p

looks like it. next AH beers will be at the FG tent at the galway races?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

Going to Zakynthos in August for 2 weeks, can't wait. We were there last year too, lovely place. My little boy is super excited for it which is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

Florida already this year, now ibiza tomorrow, then out wesht for a weekend, then Leeds for a gig, then back to go to Tenerife, then Ibiza again and then Las Vegas in November.

i'm addicted.

absolutely hate giving my wages back to ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

pundy wrote: »
    Florida already this year, now ibiza tomorrow, then out wesht for a weekend, then Leeds for a gig, then back to go to Tenerife, then Ibiza again and then Las Vegas in November.

i'm addicted.

absolutely hate giving my wages back to ireland.

Where do you work? Is there any upcoming vacancies? I'll PM you my CV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

maguic24 wrote: »

oh, i dont work anywhere fancy at all, by any stretch.

just dont waste money on "nights out" or the latest TV and i dont have kids or drive a car, so i just spend every cent on travel.

so it's just pay my mortgage and book my holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Had 3 days in Madrid recently but hope to find somewhere nice in Ireland for a few days in summer. I much prefer a few nights in a 5* hotel to a week or fortnight on a package deal.

Living in a quiet country area with a fine garden, I don't really feel the need for a formal holiday now that I am retired , as every day is a holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

maguic24 wrote: »

The most well travelled person I know is a self-employed window cleaner. He leads a very frugal life (no kids, old car, cheap rent) and works 8 months of the year, while travelling 4 months of the year. It's not for everyone, but can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

sadie06 wrote: »
    The most well travelled person I know is a self-employed window cleaner. He leads a very frugal life (no kids, old car, cheap rent) and works 8 months of the year, while travelling 4 months of the year. It's not for everyone, but can be done.

Ah yeah, I know. Sure don't I get the 'well for some' comments when I come back from holidays or when I changed my car, from all the married people in the office with their kids.

I remember I was giving out about the DIRT tax on savings and someone commented 'Oh, I don't save anymore, not with the kids'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Already went skiing for a week in France. Then a couple of weekend's in Dublin, one in Lyon.
    6 days in France.
    Upcoming 2 weeks in USA (NY, Boston, Cape Cod, Niagara Falls, Chicago).
    Later 4 days in Kerry then 10 days in France.
    Weekend in Sweden.
    Rounded off by Dublin for a week at Christmas.

(Live in UK)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Heading it Ibiza in July,

Have been in amsterdam in January last and also London !

Love travelling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Decided today I'm going to take a very cheap holiday to Poland or Slovakia this year. Hostel and living on sangiches job. Anyone been to Slovakia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Decided today I'm going to take a very cheap holiday to Poland or Slovakia this year. Hostel and living on sangiches job. Anyone been to Slovakia?

I haven't really traveled Slovakia Legs but Bratislava is quite small and was told that a day or two is enough for it. The Tatra mountains are gorgeous and I have always wanted to see the Spiš castle, it looks amazing (I'm into castles :o) They also have spa centres with swimming pools etc. in Piešťany, Banská Bystrica or even Podhajska. I'm not sure of the costs but overall the trip shouldn't be expensive. This is just from top of my head, I'm sure someone here will give you much better and more detailed tips ;)

Oh and if you decide to go to Poland, Zakopane is highly recommended from what I've heard. I didn't manage to go when I was in Poland last year, but it's on my list. Also if you head to Krakow give me a shout, there are a few food spots I can recommend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

czechlin wrote: »
    I haven't really traveled Slovakia Legs but Bratislava is quite small and was told that a day or two is enough for it. The Tatra mountains are gorgeous and I have always wanted to see the Spiš castle, it looks amazing (I'm into castles :o) They also have spa centres with swimming pools etc. in Piešťany, Banská Bystrica or even Podhajska. I'm not sure of the costs but overall the trip shouldn't be expensive. This is just from top of my head, I'm sure someone here will give you much better and more detailed tips ;)

Oh and if you decide to go to Poland, Zakopane is highly recommended from what I've heard. I didn't manage to go when I was in Poland last year, but it's on my list. Also if you head to Krakow give me a shout, there are a few food spots I can recommend ;)

I'm thinking Poland could be a better destination and I could travel round a bit backpacking and maybe the country is better prepared for that kinda stuff than Slovakia? I've heard great things about Dansk. I only chose Slovakia because I had a housemate from there and she posted up photos of herself snowboarding in the mountains there and it looked really gorgeous and it's off the beaten track a bit as far as Europe goes (so could be cheap). She was also extremely sound so I would be hoping to meet more people like her.

I'm thinking Poland on a shoestring though. You'd recommend it overall?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Week in Kinsale with OH, he gets to do touristy, history things, I will spend most of the time sailing in Cork week regatta

Advertisement