Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just General Chat About WoT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Spear wrote: »
    The style gives decorations of that style, it doesn't affect the tanks given (if any).

I didn't actually read it but there was some drama on the SEA server over the boxes. Our ones don't give decorations for some reason.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I didn't actually read it but there was some drama on the SEA server over the boxes. Our ones don't give decorations for some reason.

Some stupid law in Japan that disallows given random items to form a colletion in return for a reward. So they just give the shards direct, and people can then randomly generate a decoration manually.

The xmas thingy has been useful in other ways. Bought an m48 Patton and equipped it with an all female crew which I got mostly from the rewards. Now I just need to hope the discounts on the tanks don't fall off once the event is over as I don't have enough credits to make use of them at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Same here picked up crew and some cheaper tracks but not played enough to use the higher tier discounts

Do I need to keep certain decorations that aren't on the tree/house etc or as long as I don't care about specific bonuses can I just break down all the junk I get?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, you can deconstruct them all. Once a decoration is obtained it's part of the collection, and can be deconstructed to fill in blanks.

M48 Patton swiftly becoming a fave tank. Just bought myself a 112.... Was conflicted between it and an is6.... Hope I made the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

@canis lupus I think that you have to designate which tanks you want to use your discounts on before the event ends (in Mid-Jan) but don't have to actually buy them before then.

HTH.

Edit: I've seen some reports that you can designate up until mid-march....

Oh wow, the 112 is trollish if you hide the lower glacis. I've bounced more shots in the last couple of hours than I have all week I reckon. Had a couple of 100k credit wins as well.

It's vanilla ammo penetration is a bit poopoo though. It's a ponderous tank as well but in a good way.

Is it better than an is3. I can't get to grips with that at all. I can't pen anything and everything pens me like butter with gold. Angling only works so far. I have to play it as a support tank. Which only works on city maps. I just do really bad in the IS3. Don't see many around any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

beauf wrote: »
    Is it better than an is3. I can't get to grips with that at all. I can't pen anything and everything pens me like butter with gold. Angling only works so far. I have to play it as a support tank. Which only works on city maps. I just do really bad in the IS3. Don't see many around any more.

IS3 is great tank. Awesome gun and a good bouncy turret. What is different about it, is the lower front plate is easy penetrate, and if you're angling, you're giving the enemy a straight on view of your pike nose armour.

Those tanks need to face the enemy straight on so the angled armour works, and hiding your front lower plate best you can. Don't angle!

I'm pretty sure the discounts are good until March.

Given that that coincides with the 1.0 release, it seems to imply 1.0 is more of a wiping of the slate in addition to just an engine upgrade.

Prenderb wrote: »

IS3 is great tank. Awesome gun and a good bouncy turret. What is different about it, is the lower front plate is easy penetrate, and if you're angling, you're giving the enemy a straight on view of your pike nose armour.

Those tanks need to face the enemy straight on so the angled armour works, and hiding your front lower plate best you can. Don't angle!

I see what you mean about the pike. I'll have to give it another go.

I see what you mean about the pike. I'll have to give it another go.

tanks gg is a cracking good website that lets you see armor values on the fly and how angling improves/worsens specific armor. You can even compare a tank vs another of your choice.

This 112.... I'm in love.... Armor blocked 2500 dmg. trololo. Average dmg blocked 1600. The only issue is I'm over relying on it a bit and putting myself into stupid situations. Still though, so far today I've had 3 100k plus wins. It must be said that I'm potentially a bit lucky playing on the Australian sea server. I'm getting top tiered a lot and during the day there is a lot of red players.

Is the Caernarvon the worst tank in the game? It actually makes me sad trying to grind it. I've had to put up with the Churchill, Churchill 7, Black Prince and now..... now I'm lumbered with this almighty piece of sh*t...... It's stock.... I try to tell myself it will get better but it just makes me want to die.....

I've just got the tiger II its pretty bad. Ironically I'm getting a lot of spotting damage in it.

The IS3 I've changed how I play. Use it as a heavy medium and drive into people's faces and distract them while my team takes them out.

Is the Caernarvon the worst tank in the game? It actually makes me sad trying to grind it. I've had to put up with the Churchill, Churchill 7, Black Prince and now..... now I'm lumbered with this almighty piece of sh*t...... It's stock.... I try to tell myself it will get better but it just makes me want to die.....

It used to be far worse, it's considered pretty strong now once upgraded.

I've just got the tiger II its pretty bad. Ironically I'm getting a lot of spotting damage in it.

The IS3 I've changed how I play. Use it as a heavy medium and drive into people's faces and distract them while my team takes them out.

Time and power creep have not been kind to the Tiger 2. The armour isn't competitive at it's own tier, and worthless against higher tiers. These days it'd be better off at tier 7, and it's telling that the VK45.03 is a tier 7. The E75 is nice, which is the most optimistic thing I can say.

Had a AMX 75 turn me into swiss cheese frontally :(

I'd like to play these tanks in historical context...

Had a AMX 75 turn me into swiss cheese frontally :(

I'd like to play these tanks in historical context...

They are almost contemporaneous, the Tiger 2 is a late 1943 design, the AMX-13 is a 1946 design. Except in the real world that AMX 13 would be shredded at range where it's little 75mm couldn't do jack to a Tiger 2. But this is WoT, so it's an APCR spamming AMX at point blank instead.

• Advertisement

Is there any conflict where they fought against each other?

Is there any conflict where they fought against each other?

Nah, no Tiger 2s saw service after WW2, not many were left. Israel used AMX-13s against Syria, which used Panzer 4s and StuG 3s though.

That's kinda what I meant. War Thunder has historical battles I think. Never played it though. I take your point though.

Power creep has wrecked the Tiger 2. When I first played WoT it was such a pain to play against if it had the lower plate covered or was side scraping and I finally got around to grinding it out and it's like driving a tin can, seems to have no survivabilty. Having said that the gun is still reasonable at least in a supporting role.

I'll grind the Caer at least till it's maxed out but nothing carries over from the HT line so you've to work on everything. It's not just slow but has terrible maneuverability, the hull gets penned by anything and the stock gun is a complete disgrace for tier 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

e75 makes it worthwhile. though I did enjoy my time in the tiger 2

I think I'm having a perverse pleasure in trying to beat the odds in the Tiger II. You just can't push in it at all. Support role only.

I decided not to use my Tiger I crew in it. As that is my go to Tank when I'm doing badly. As it seems to be useful at any tier.

So new crew for the Tiger II. Ah well...

Recently got the Firefly. Loving that. I do much better then the Rev. I think I'm not really up to Tier 8.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

They are almost contemporaneous, the Tiger 2 is a late 1943 design, the AMX-13 is a 1946 design. Except in the real world that AMX 13 would be shredded at range where it's little 75mm couldn't do jack to a Tiger 2........
    Although with the pace of tank evolution at the time those 3 years made a big difference.
    The King Tiger was a beast compared to Sherman’s, Cromwell’s, Churchill’s and T-34-85’s. The IS and the Pershing were comparable I think.
    Am I right in saying that their is a record of a Pershing going up against a King Tiger

I did like the Historical battles when they were in the game. It added something different and allowed a small glimpse of historical setting.
    That was the best opportunity to pit a Tiger, a couple of Panthers and a Tiger 2 against a company of Sherman’s! But WG never went that route.....

Tenger wrote: »
    Although with the pace of tank evolution at the time those 3 years made a big difference.
    The King Tiger was a beast compared to Sherman’s, Cromwell’s, Churchill’s and T-34-85’s. The IS and the Pershing were comparable I think.
    Am I right in saying that their is a record of a Pershing going up against a King Tiger

I did like the Historical battles when they were in the game. It added something different and allowed a small glimpse of historical setting.
    That was the best opportunity to pit a Tiger, a couple of Panthers and a Tiger 2 against a company of Sherman’s! But WG never went that route.....

I don't believe a Pershing ever faced a full King Tiger. There was the T26E4 with extra armour that's often described as facing a King Tiger, but in reality that was almost certainly a Panzer 4, with no King Tigers deployed anywhere near it, and being inflated due to the common US habit of referring to German tanks as Tigers. There weren't that many KTs to begin with and tended to receive prompt aerial attention when sighted. There's famous footage of a Pershing knocking out a Panther at Koln cathedral at least.

Three Pershings were disabled in total, one to arty, one to a plain Tiger 1, and one to a Nashorn.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

.............. There's famous footage of a Pershing knocking out a Panther at Koln cathedral at least.
    Ah, that’s the image I had in my head. Just couldn’t recall the German vehicle.

• Advertisement

What a tomato, side on against a pershing. Uninstall.

Advertisement