Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd be quite worried with the rust on that Focus.
    That Saab is some bloody bargain though..
    The Subaru is on UK plates :p
    And the Mondy has timing chain issues..
    Apart from those though the rest would certainly be the ones I'd pick over the Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Wouldn't it be easier to put a few bangers in one post, bear? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

bear1 wrote: »
    I'd be quite worried with the rust on that Focus.
    That Saab is some bloody bargain though..
    The Subaru is on UK plates :p
    And the Mondy has timing chain issues..
    Apart from those though the rest would certainly be the ones I'd pick over the Golf.

yeah, didn't notice the UK plates :o rust on the focus will be grand, buy the car for €450 and bin it in 6 months when the test it out.

just trying to create a discussion on what various estates €1500 could buy :)...

GvidoR wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be easier to put a few bangers in one post, bear? :P

It would...

walks away and tries to think of a better comeback...

yeah, didn't notice the UK plates :o rust on the focus will be grand, buy the car for €450 and bin it in 6 months when the test it out.

just trying to create a discussion on what various estates €1500 could buy :)...

Point nicely proved as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Again we agree. You're arguing something that nobody is questioning. Lots of those are nicer cars but would cost more to run, completely the opposite of the ethos of a cheap motoring threqd. Are you suggesting then that a 1500 quid Golf 1.4 estate in good condition with tax and test is not Bangernonics territory! If so I must have read the rules of this thread incorrectly. What's with the pasiive aggressiveness too?

Just as a footnote. The Honda you posted is a good bit older so less reg plate one upmanship, the VW an import so possibly untraceable history and the Lexus cost more to tax than the Golf to buy. I'm more confused now than ever as to what you were actually arguing. I think yoo might be too. :-)

Sorry if I came across as aggressive, the point I was trying to make was that there are plenty of cars out there for bangernomics money that look like they are worth a lot more than they really cost. Personally I don't think a 1.4 golf fits into this category, it's a very ordinary car with nothing really special to offer and does look cheap when compared to the Lexus and Passat. A golf is a bangernomics car (though at 2000 I would feel that that one does;t represent excellent value)but it is most certainly not a sophisticated/luxurious/posh one with a good image.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Seweryn wrote: »
    This one may have the 7-seat option, but you would need to ask yer man:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-406-stdt-estate/9530379?offset=10
    Same car, but now in hands of a brand new owner. And with a brand new price tag:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hdi-diesel-406-estate-nct-2-16/9550958?offset=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    I was expecting a nice merc or a lexus or any premium brand for that matter!!!

A 1.4 golf estate doesn't look look like a poverty line car? Jesus wept.

Jesus seems to be doing a lot of weeping lately....

However, in the eyes of the typical Irish motorist the Golf is a premium product and as such the engine that it has is more or less irrelevant. The fact is, if you will as it were, is that the Golf estate will hold its value if you needed to sell it on in a few months time, then add in the cheap tax and general superior build quality and it's probably worthy of a mention in here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

no, not at all. we all love talking bangers. do post more, you can never get enough contributions to the discussion :).

i just can't see one redeeming feature for that golf. it's a sin.

it's a very basic spec, a very heavy car with a rather small engine, the estate is a bit ugly and they are apparently) very soft engines, it is also very pretentious. it does have a big cargo space, however. taking all that into account, there are many things i would rather do than buy that car, for that price.

if i had €1500 quid and needed an estate/ load lugger, you could do much better.

That looks like a comfortline golf judging by the seats, rcl 4*ew upgraded stereo, hardly poverty spec for a 03. The only thing that is poverty on that is the engine.

I would hardly consider electric windows and remote locking well spec'd. I had that in a 98 starlet.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9548830
    This looks good. I know it's the wrong engine but it looks well, would be fairly thrifty and would most likely go forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I would hardly consider electric windows and remote locking well spec'd. I had that in a 98 starlet.

I had those in an 80s Fiat :P

But yeah, €2k for a pretty lowly spec Mk4 Golf, and an estate at that, is hardly good value. Maybe, maybe if it was a hatch it would fetch close enough to that, but I can't see someone over shelling out that sort of money for an estate

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9548830
    This looks good. I know it's the wrong engine but it looks well, would be fairly thrifty and would most likely go forever.

Really along with height adj, seats/lumbar support, 4 airbags, lights above both sun visors, 8 speaker stereo. 4*ew was not widely available in similar priced cars in 03. Your starlet had all this as well?

I had those in an 80s Fiat :P

But yeah, €2k for a pretty lowly spec Mk4 Golf, and an estate at that, is hardly good value. Maybe, maybe if it was a hatch it would fetch close enough to that, but I can't see someone over shelling out that sort of money for an estate

If it's a comfortline which I think it is, it is not lowly specced as you say.

Really along with height adj, seats/lumbar support, 4 airbags, lights above both sun visors, 8 speaker stereo. 4*ew was not widely available in similar priced cars in 03. Your starlet had all this as well?

This is a joke right?

This is a joke right?

Last comment on this, this is a higher spec than the baseline Golf, so as Golfs go in Ireland it's good as most were the lower spec. It is also pretty ok spec when compared to similar priced cars (corollas, astras etc) when new in 03. You can't compare it to an S class or Lexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

A light above BOTH sun visors. Almost creamed myself there...

Honestly, it's a low spec car.

Last comment on this, this is a higher spec than the baseline Golf, so as Golfs go in Ireland it's good as most were the lower spec. It is also pretty ok spec when compared to similar priced cars (corollas, astras etc) when new in 03. You can't compare it to an S class or Lexus.

Sorry I just cant agree with this.
    just because it has electric windows at the front and back and sun visor lights it just isn't well spec'd.
    The engine itself isn't famed for its reliability either.
    Comfort in spec has cruise control and auto lights/wipers I believe which would then make it ok spec.
    I mean are you actually saying that in 2003 not many cars in the golfs class had that sort of "spec"?
    The 00 punto we have has a better spec than that and it was cheaper.
    I'd say its best to just leave it there tbh.

The starlet had just 2 airbags and 4 speakers but yes it had seats with a few adjustments.

Maybe the golf was ok in 2003 but the reality is in 2015, €1500 will take you much further.

Not argueing with you personally, but it's a good discussion :)

Sorry I just cant agree with this.
    just because it has electric windows at the front and back and sun visor lights it just isn't well spec'd.
    The engine itself isn't famed for its reliability either.
    Comfort in spec has cruise control and auto lights/wipers I believe which would then make it ok spec.
    I mean are you actually saying that in 2003 not many cars in the golfs class had that sort of "spec"?
    The 00 punto we have has a better spec than that and it was cheaper.
    I'd say its best to just leave it there tbh.

Never claimed it had brilliant spec, just that it is not the base Golf.
    BTW MK5 comfortine has cruise control and auto lights/wipers not the MK4 comfortline.

• Advertisement

The starlet had just 2 airbags and 4 speakers but yes it had seats with a few adjustments.

Maybe the golf was ok in 2003 but the reality is in 2015, €1500 will take you much further.

Not argueing with you personally, but it's a good discussion :)

Yes agreed sir, and I really like that Legacy estate with AWD. There just something I like about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

guys xara picasso 1.6 aye or nay

never had a mondeo, what are the running costs like, as i have been brought out of retirement for a school run, grandads taxi

is the hole on the roof of the estate a big job, it says new nct, how did it pass with that defect, asking as i need a grandads taxi

Personally Flutered I'd take a look at that Saab. Very very good deal that.

flazio wrote: »
    Seeing as your previous car is a Rodius, clearly looks mean nothing to you. So perhaps if you were willing to lose a seat you can have a look at Fiat Multiplas

what to look out for when buying one of them

flutered wrote: »
    what to look out for when buying one of them

What to look out for? The car itself :D
    In general they are supposed to be good cars and if you can get the diesel they are meant to be quite reliable.

had one back in the day the oh hated it, mighty to go, but plasticly and rattly inside

Personally Flutered I'd take a look at that Saab. Very very good deal that.

thanks bear more than i can pay, also a bit expensive to run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-1-3-nct-02-2016-/9540472

On the way to look at this now.

Anything I should be wary about?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement