Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Jayop wrote: »
    Primera.... load of small niggles with them. Bought a 2006 Citroen C5 .

Nothing like a medium sized french saloon for that niggle free ownership experience. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Nothing like a medium sized french saloon for that niggle free ownership experience. ;)

"There may be trouble ahead"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

NcT is no guarantee its going to be trouble free either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

jca wrote: »
    You're a brave man...

You pays your money and you takes your chances!! ;)

I'd be the first person to say that normally. Worked for a Renault dealer for a few years so I'd be well aware of their failings.
    "There may be trouble ahead"

Any car for that kinda money can give bother. The last three cars I've bought including this one come to a total of 2250 and I've had 2.5 years outa the last two and this one will hopefully last me a year or so.
    NcT is no guarantee its going to be trouble free either.

Oh I'm fully aware of that. But at the same time it's valuable in that it means I don't have to worry about testing it myself for a year. I wouldn't put much weight in the test as a signal of quality especially as the test is a year old and a lot can happen in a year.

There's only 120,000 kms on the clock on this yoke too and the NCT cert had 111000 last year so I'd be confident that it's at least not been clocked recently.

She's a big comfortable family car, massive boot which I need for camping and going anywhere for the night with two kids. It's a gamble but I always say if I can pay a grand or less for a car and drive it without much hassle for more than 6 months then I've broken even.

I was looking at getting finance on a 2012 Insignia last week and a 3.5k deposit would leave me paying 350€ per month for a car that would only be worth a couple of grand at best when it's paid off. Bangers are always risky but any more of a risk than buying a car for 14000? I don't think so.

Long time bangernomics follower and occasional contributor, now I'm in the market again and I am all over the place with what I need/want.

My brief is I need a runabout, could spend 3k but would rather spend less. I drive 2 miles to work, 2 miles home 5/6 days a week. The very odd excursion of 10/15 miles in this car also. I have 2 kids so need the rear seats. My wife's car is generally used for family outings. Insurance shouldn't be an issue as I'm no spring chicken and full ncb. My major dilemma is whether I get something small with reasonable tax or something larger with more comfort and grunt. Is it worth paying extra road tax considering my usage.

I've been browsing everything from Yaris's/Punto's to 520's/Accord's/B5 Audi's 😱😂

Any suggestions ?

• Advertisement

I've been browsing everything from Yaris's/Punto's to 520's/Accord's/B5 Audi's 😱😂

Any suggestions ?

Shameless plug!!! :)

42163141.jpeg

Shame you're in Galway, its probably a bit far from you.

Jayop wrote: »

I was looking at getting finance on a 2012 Insignia last week and a 3.5k deposit would leave me paying 350€ per month for a car that would only be worth a couple of grand at best when it's paid off. Bangers are always risky but any more of a risk than buying a car for 14000? I don't think so.

I think you have summarized the beauty of bangernomics right there. A 3 year old car, especially a diesel, can present you with enormous bills at any time. Plus, its nice to know you have that 3.5K still sitting in your bank account, rather than depreciating away in 12 months on your driveway. If you diligently save the €350 a month, then you will have no worries, as you will always be able to maintain and fix the banger if you need, and rent a nice car occasionally for longer trips, plus have a nice lump of cash at the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Long time bangernomics follower and occasional contributor, now I'm in the market again and I am all over the place with what I need/want.

My brief is I need a runabout, could spend 3k but would rather spend less. I drive 2 miles to work, 2 miles home 5/6 days a week. The very odd excursion of 10/15 miles in this car also. I have 2 kids so need the rear seats. My wife's car is generally used for family outings. Insurance shouldn't be an issue as I'm no spring chicken and full ncb. My major dilemma is whether I get something small with reasonable tax or something larger with more comfort and grunt. Is it worth paying extra road tax considering my usage.

Any suggestions ?

5 door Yaris, new NCT, asking €2050, cheap tax and insurance, economical, reliable and handy to fix. Might seem pricey for a 2001 car but you'll get most of it back when selling it on. It's better to have a cheap runabout in a 2 car family rather than two cars that are expensive to run.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-1-0-new-nct/9540135?offset=7

Red Kev wrote: »
    5 door Yaris, new NCT, asking €2050, cheap tax and insurance, economical, reliable and handy to fix. Might seem pricey for a 2001 car but you'll get most of it back when selling it on. It's better to have a cheap runabout in a 2 car family rather than two cars that are expensive to run.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-yaris-1-0-new-nct/9540135?offset=7

You're on the button with everything you're saying, just don't know can I drive a 1.0 Yaris never mind look at it on the driveway. The primary car isn't exactly expensive to run, 2009 1.8 diesel so cheap tax. I know I don't need anything bigger but it's needs v's wants :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

YI know I don't need anything bigger but it's needs v's wants :confused::confused:

And there you have it .... it's gonna boil down to personal choice because there's pro's and con's to either option.

I'd go with what's going to give me most joy.

• Advertisement

RayCon wrote:
    And there you have it .... it's gonna boil down to personal choice because there's pro's and con's to either option.

RayCon wrote:
    I'd go with what's going to give me most joy.

I mentioned the Yaris to my 7 yr old daughter, "Oh no it's too teeny tiny" . Oh Lord ????

Then try this, NCT 03/16, 3 months tax, €2750. Space and grace, has the 2 litre with an Auto so it's a nice cruiser. 2002 model so no real niggles like the earlier ones.

I'd be looking at a W124 myself but decent ones are hitting €4-5000.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/merc-est-nct-tax-price-drop/8944800?offset=6
    39419615.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

I mentioned the Yaris to my 7 yr old daughter, "Oh no it's too teeny tiny" . Oh Lord ????

:D Kids are great for a dose of honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭RyanMGF

joujoujou wrote: »

"Animal on the road, very fast car"

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

We're looking for a cheap 7 seater. This one looks like just the job (if it is a 7 seater!)

Any other suggestions for a cheap, reliable, and not-too-expensive-to-tax 7 seater?

(We have to offload this 2.7L Rodius - its breaking my heart!):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,914 ✭✭✭✭flazio

We're looking for a cheap 7 seater. This one looks like just the job (if it is a 7 seater!)

Any other suggestions for a cheap, reliable, and not-too-expensive-to-tax 7 seater?

(We have to offload this 2.7L Rodius - its breaking my heart!):mad:
    Seeing as your previous car is a Rodius, clearly looks mean nothing to you. So perhaps if you were willing to lose a seat you can have a look at Fiat Multiplas

Then try this, NCT 03/16, 3 months tax, €2750. Space and grace, has the 2 litre with an Auto so it's a nice cruiser. 2002 model so no real niggles like the earlier ones.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/merc-est-nct-tax-price-drop/8944800?offset=6
    39419615.jpeg

Certainly different than the Yaris I'll give ya that but maybe too far the other way. The wife's car is an estate, don't think I'll put another one on the driveway ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

joujoujou wrote: »

Surprisingly they are quite well powered for their size, especially considering the engine.
    It's a revvy little devil, good fun little cars. Very capable off road.

RayCon wrote: »
    :D Kids are great for a dose of honesty.

She was only really telling me what my heart was saying, that bloody head of mine though :o

39419615.jpeg

What ever happened to the price limit on bangernomics?
    Bangernomics rules:
    Under €2000
    Valid NCT
    Something you'd actually drive yourself
    VRT paid

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Right lads, after a brief flirtation with that Carina a few pages back (swoon) I'm actually in the market for something cheap and dandy.

Just got a temporary new job for the summer and its an awkward trek both lacking in public transport and poxy hills for the bike. Coupled with this I've another part time job on the go for the whole time I'm in college. Broke up with the missus so the plan to use her car is now out the window.

So, basically, something cheap and reliable to get me over the hump and through the next few months of this potential 60hour week.

I'm limited to 1200 Max... And even then that's a stretch at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

This one may have the 7-seat option, but you would need to ask yer man:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-406-stdt-estate/9530379?offset=10

Good cars, I got one recently (not the 7-seater though) and like it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Jaysus, I know it was for the other lad but that's a daycent shout for myself.

What ever happened to the price limit on bangernomics?

Yeah, but in this case he has a budget of €3000. There were a couple of big estates for €2K and under but none of them inspired any confidence. That's why I posted that Merc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Depreciation proof. You'd get it for 11 or 1200 quid

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9540515

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That is a ****ing bargain

• Advertisement

Red Kev wrote:
    Yeah, but in this case he has a budget of €3000. There were a couple of big estates for €2K and under but none of them inspired any confidence. That's why I posted that Merc.

I could spend 3k bud but I really don't want to nor need to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement