Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Early ones had relatively few issues and were no worse than any of the competition in that regard. They also pushed out over 100hp (105?) from a 1.4l engine. VW only managed to do that in the Golf over 15 years later. Toyota didn't do it until the VVTI came along.

I'm not for a second dissing the Honda engine at all but I don't think it's fair to say Rover engines were all shyte. And lets not forget, the Rover L-Series engine was good enough for Honda ;)
    In fairness I'm talking about engines rover produced, and petrol units at that. The L series is a Perkins engine.

As regards to the k series, all 4 cylinder units gave hg issues as they were all based on the same sandwiched together with long bolt design. They also had a hollow area in the between each cylinder which left only a very thin area for the hg to cover.

Maybe earlier ones didn't suffer from noisy tappets or piston slap, I can't remember tbh, but by 96 they definitely did as a family member had a 96 200 series that gave these issues.

The 1.4 did have a good bhp rating for it's time tbf but from driving a k series 414 and it's Honda 90bhp civic equivalent I didn't notice much between the in regards to performance.

unkel wrote: »
    Only because Honda were unable to make a diesel engine themselves :p

Two decades later and they're till struggling

Honda got rid of the l series diesel and replaced it with a VTEC engine. In the civic this VTEC engine was the 1.5 Eco vtec unit which was a much nicer engine than the l series tbh and offered similar economy.

Honda make good diesels nowadays tbh. I dont see how they are still struggling. Their first effort 10 years ago mightn't of been the best but they have long since perfected their diesel units.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Do you think we could actually have a K series thread?

If this argument comes up again I think I'll close my account! It's worse than the fog lights.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

If this argument comes up again I think I'll close my account! It's worse than the fog lights.:(

I haven't seen it in ages. TBH it makes a welcome break from the Alfa/BMW/Merc trend that permeates through every thread on the forum.

I was clearing up ToyotaAvensis misunderstanding, JohnBoy made a sweeping statement and we had 2 messages each about it. Hardly massively OT now was it?

Anyway, here is a banger

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/rover-45/7888576

NCT June 2015 and all work seems to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

K :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

I haven't seen it in ages. TBH it makes a welcome break from the Alfa/BMW/Merc trend that permeates through every thread on the forum.

I was clearing up ToyotaAvensis misunderstanding, JohnBoy made a sweeping statement and we had 2 messages each about it. Hardly massively OT now was it?

Anyway, here is a banger

I see what you did there. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Anyway, here is a banger

It's not up recently alright but again it will achieve nothing.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/03-renault-laguna-nct-08-15/7860881

33939447.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I sincerely apologise. I made a mistake thinking it was a k series engine and the fact that the rad was gone on the car made me think the HG might be on its way out.

My bad lads
    anyways back to bangers - a little haggling brings this lpg machine into budget
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-ford-focus-lpg/7755547

I sincerely apologise. I made a mistake thinking it was a k series engine and the fact that the rad was gone on the car made me think the HG might be on its way out.

My bad lads
    anyways back to bangers - a little haggling brings this lpg machine into budget
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2004-ford-focus-lpg/7755547
    Never heard that K-series HGF involved radiator failure - unless the rad failed and caused the HGF. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

34167429.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2001-bmw-car/7909613
    01 BMW 525i, 9 months tax, 3 months NCT, auto, climate, leather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Esel wrote: »
    Never heard that K-series HGF involved radiator failure - unless the rad failed and caused the HGF. :)

Or presumably HGF could be the cause of radiator failure also. i.e. rad gets full of gunk and realistically the only job is to replace it.

1.8 VVTI Celica; 6 spd;
    100k miles were told;
    nct 08/15;
    leather;
    unmolested;
    Asking €1,200

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-celica-for-sale/7937915

34310315.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Or presumably HGF could be the cause of radiator failure also. i.e. rad gets full of gunk and realistically the only job is to replace it.

Nah. K-series engine long gone before the rad could get full of gunk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Honda make good diesels nowadays tbh. I dont see how they are still struggling. Their first effort 10 years ago mightn't of been the best but they have long since perfected their diesel units.
    In the words of our Virgin Mary, "Come Again"?

'05 Rover 75, asking €900

34105794.jpeg

Linky

'06 Superb 1.9 TDI, asking just €2,350. Doubt it can be bought for 2k cash just like that, but if you find something wrong with it during inspection, you never know!

34326067.jpeg

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

'06 Superb 1.9 TDI, asking just €2,350. Doubt it can be bought for 2k cash just like that, but if you find something wrong with it during inspection, you never know!

34326067.jpeg

Linky

Do you think it might have been a taxi? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

'05 Rover 75, asking €900

Linky

Really hating those wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

jharr100 wrote: »
    Do you think it might have been a taxi? ;)

Good detective work:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

NEVER buy an ex-taxi or ex-rental car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

97 406 tested till 01/16,

Right bit of xud bagain-ness

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-406-cheap-diesel-nct-2016-/7767719

I'd be all over it, if I was in the market!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭JP 1800

commited wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/other-bmw/2002-bmw-for-sale/6467371
    2002 318i estate, 160k, 6 months tax, 9 months NCT - €1000. Looks like a decent car, fitting a MFSW would make a huge improvement too.

Picking this up tomorrow, It has a hot water valve fault, and an intermittent crank sensor fault other than that it drives and handles extremely well. I will fix the issues, get a multi-function steering wheel and leather seats for the front and drive her til the tax expires. Parking up the CE300 for the six months will have paid for the car according to my man maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I wouldnt say never, I looked at one once and it was in great shape, the guy was really passionate about his car, and had every little docket and service record since ownership.

His view was the car was his means of income, and if he didnt look after it, it would not look after him.

Depends on the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'd generally agree, but a well maintained one with documented service history would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

JP 1800 wrote: »
    Picking this up tomorrow, It has a hot water valve fault, and an intermittent crank sensor fault other than that it drives and handles extremely well. I will fix the issues, get a multi-function steering wheel and leather seats for the front and drive her til the tax expires. Parking up the CE300 for the six months will have paid for the car according to my man maths.

Off board PM dealing ....... tut tut :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭JP 1800

Nothing so underhanded, I prefer to engage with persons via phone and in person over time wasting and unsubstantiated offers, or should I hand myself into the nearest Garda station ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

At least he is not wasting seller's time by offering 100 yoyos, comic books collection and a chinese guitar;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

wonski wrote: »
    At least he is not wasting seller's time by offering 100 yoyos, comic books collection and a chinese guitar;)

Chinese guitar? Noodles for strings?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement