Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 3 "Breaker of Chains": *HAVE NOT NOT NOT* read the books

Options
  • 20-04-2014 11:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭

I can't wait after last weeks dramatics ! Poor old Reek as well looks like he's not enjoying his holiday !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I'm assuming reek is going to snap at some stage.

2 more hours and then I have to avoid all internet use.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Solid episode. Although I think the main problem with this episode was that they were trying to fit in too many of the story-lines and as a result not many of them could be fleshed out properly. Things are starting to look like the fool aided in the murder, but Littlefinger was behind it. Either that or Oberyn the poison master played a part, but I doubt it. I'd say Tyrion will more than likely get off from the trial.

Would have liked to have seen more of the Arya and the Hound double-team, they are great. Personally a bit bored with Khaleesi story-line, free more slaves yada yada. The Jamie and Cersei development is really interesting, lots of tension there. On the Stannis story, I wonder what Davos wants out of the Bravosi men? How can they hire them with no money? Thought the castle black stuff was a bit meh this week, no proper progression. Have to say loved every Tywin scene, Charles Dance is such a joy to watch perform and has nailed that character.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭thefa

Davos is telling the girl that he almost got beheaded by a bravosi who didn't appreciate the difference between a smuggler (Davos) and a pirate but that distinction doesn't matter too much when the banks barge is worth half a kingdom. Then a bulb seems to light in his head so I'm guessing he's thinking of trying to seize one of these barges to pay for the golden cloaks or hiring them with the promise of pay by hijacking one of these.

Baelish looks guilty of some part in the assassination with the way he had Dontos on the payroll to take sansa from the wedding at that point and the way he was dispatched. He points out that Sansa left the scene but he must have left quick enough too if he made it out there to meet them with a ship ready to sail. If tyrion is successfully framed and executed, does that simply free sansa of the lannister name and leave her open to remarriage?

Interested in whether it is cersei or the actual schemer/s that are trying to pay podrick off to testify about the poison. Is Tyrion really in danger if the judges are his father and two guys who his father appears to have influence over?

Saw some of the worse sides of characters whose popularity had been growing; the hound thieving and Jaime raping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Solid enough. Too much jumping about though with the storylines, I think.

The Daenrys storyline is incredibly boring at the moment though. It's literally just going from slave city to slave city, liberating them all. I want to see more progression with this story. When is she going to start thinking about Westeros? Although it's interesting that word has well and truly spread about her dragons. Tywin believes it now, when last season he didn't.

Looks like Littlefinger was the one who orchestrated the poisoning, but I wouldn't be surprised if others had a hand in it too. No shortage of people who aren't sad to see the end of Joffrey. Still not convinced that Oleanna Tyrell isn't involved, or at least knew it was going to happen and turned a blind eye to it. Wonder where he's taking Sansa?

Thoroughly enjoyed all of Tywin's scenes. Love that character, love Charles Dance's portrayal of him. He dominates every scene he's in, and gets some absolutely brilliant dialogue. I can really understand that character's reasoning. I like how he's playing the long game with the Dorne people.

Stannis is not doing anything to endear himself to me at all.

Is the Hound bringing Arya to her mother's sister? The crazy one we saw a couple of season ago that was breastfeeding a child who was well past the age of needing to be breastfed? If word gets out that she's alive, is that going to throw a spanner in the works for the Freys?

Don't feel too on board with the wildlings, to be honest. Their indiscriminate killing makes it kind of difficult to relate to any cause they might have.

My opinion of Jamie totally plummeted with that episode too. Just when I was coming to like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Whats the story with Sam, that girl and her child? I can't really remember their importance.

Were the three judges to be Tywin, Oberyn and Tyrell woman? If that is the case, I can see Tyrell turning on Tywin and it being up to Oberyn to decide Tyrion's fate. Tywin has just made a bad mistake in an attempt to unite his family with Oberyn's. The Tyrell's are going to pin all this on the Lannisters and attempt a grab at power I think.

Jamie has become rather disgusting again since he came back from the road. He was becoming my favourite character previously.

• Advertisement

Baelish says he's bringing her home. Hardly her home winterfell given the danger. He was made lord of harrenhal last season so possibly there. Only other home would be his original family land on the fingers.

Yes, that's who the hound mentions bringing her to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Grimebox wrote: »
    Whats the story with Sam, that girl and her child? I can't really remember their importance.

Were the three judges to be Tywin, Oberyn and Tyrell woman? If that is the case, I can see Tyrell turning on Tywin and it being up to Oberyn to decide Tyrion's fate. Tywin has just made a bad mistake in an attempt to unite his family with Oberyn's. The Tyrell's are going to pin all this on the Lannisters and attempt a grab at power I think.

Jamie has become rather disgusting again since he came back from the road. He was becoming my favourite character previously.

Sam saved that girl and her baby from the guy that was having incestuous relationships with all his daughters and sacrificing the boy children. He rescued her and killed a white walker with dragon glass before it could take her baby. Basically they are witnesses to the existence of white walkers. His reasoning for bringing her to this dodgy inn seemed a little flawed for me. He wants to save her from "rapers", well at least he knows who the potential rapists are where he is and can protect her. There could be a hundred sketchy people coming in and out of that inn and there'd be no way of protecting her there.

Don't know what's up with Jamie. This episode marked an all-time low for him, as far as I can see.

Interesting theory regarding the Tyrells. Could very well work out that way. Either way, the Tyrells have to make a move for power at this point. They're going to push the marriage with Tommen and Margery anyway, I'd say, whenever he comes of age.

Grimebox wrote: »

No, Mace Tyrell rather than Olenna. Tyrion says that Mace will vote whichever way Tywin does. You're right in that Oberyn may just use this new alliance just up to when it suits him and he can get more revenge on the Lannisters.

I only think the Sam & Gilly storyline is meant to be a human story rather than a significant one. It did show how the whitewalkers are vulnerable to dragonglass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Really enjoyed the episode,looks like Littlefinger Petyr Baelish played a significant role in Joffrey's demise.He has hidden his ambition to claim the iron throne as a relative commoner and put those of superior lineage in their place.Think he may wish to make Sansa Lady of Harrenhal,he did offer to bring her away on the ship before?
    Charles Dance portrayal of Tywin is without equal,needs more screen time.Poor Tyrion's lustre is fading,not enough scheming with Varys and the absent Littlefinger.Can't wait for the confrontation between Prince Oberyn and the Mountain.
    Davos seems to have found a means to extort from the Iron Bank of Bravosi to hire an army for Stannis.
    Sam is totally in love with that girl,pure self interest bringing her to the inn.
    The Daenrys storyline is a total borefest,let's free a few more slaves.....
    the wildings gig is'nt too far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 road dog

Another very strong episode.Looks like the Knightswatch are in real trouble now with Mance and the wildlings on their doorstep
    Where are the whitewalkers gone to?Surely word has reached the capital and other areas about the wildlings/whitewalkers advancing on the north yet it hasn't been mentioned.
    Three episodes in and i'm as gripped as ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

road dog wrote: »
    Another very strong episode.Looks like the Knightswatch are in real trouble now with Mance and the wildlings on their doorstep
    Where are the whitewalkers gone to?Surely word has reached the capital and other areas about the wildlings/whitewalkers advancing on the north yet it hasn't been mentioned.
    Three episodes in and i'm as gripped as ever

*Nightswatch. Remember when they took their oaths? They gave up any rights to titles such as knights, lords, wardens etc. Sorry if I sound like a díck but I feel it's an important distinction..

• Registered Users Posts: 46 road dog

Forgive me my lord

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭fluke

The weakest episode of the season thus far. Felt spread too thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

Poor Sansa can't catch a break

littlefinger-deal-with-it.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Thought it was a decent enough episode. As expected Sansa had no part to play in the murder of Joffrey but I have to say I'm surprised Littlefinger seems to be behind it. Don't really see what he has to gain from killing Joffrey. Looking like Margeary will be wed to Tommen, wonder how long he'll last so :P

Not really much else happened, aside from Kings Landing. We've fully come to realise how fcuked the Night's Watch are, and Daenery's is still building her army.

Don't know what people expect from Daenery's though, she's not going to risk her dragons anyvtime soon, and 10,000 (?) unsullied won't win her back Westeros. Also, interesting how Lord Tywin now knows of the dragons and how he's also taking the threat of the Wildlings seriously.

Also, will be interesting to see what they do to Tyrion. Can't see them executing him given who the judges are, but it certainly doesn't look good for him with Sansa having pulled a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

very hard to follow, show us don't tell us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Was it just me or was Littlefingers accent different? Sounded way more Irish or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

THFC wrote: »
    Thought it was a decent enough episode. As expected Sansa had no part to play in the murder of Joffrey but I have to say I'm surprised Littlefinger seems to be behind it. Don't really see what he has to gain from killing Joffrey.

If Tyrion gets killed Sansa can marry again, She's the last known Stark and as has been mentioned before, the key to the north. Littlefinger has wanted to secure that/her for a good while now, so it makes sense that he'd kill Joffrey and frame Tyrion. He's after the Iron throne himself after all.

(I haven't read any of the books this is all speculation on my part)

Was it just me or was Littlefingers accent different? Sounded way more Irish or something.

Well he IS Irish lol, and it's been a while since he on screen. prob just lost a bit of his old characters accent for that one scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

If Tyrion gets killed Sansa can marry again, She's the last known Stark and as has been mentioned before, the key to the north. Littlefinger has wanted to secure that/her for a good while now, so it makes sense that he'd kill Joffrey and frame Tyrion. He's after the Iron throne himself after all.

I would certainly hope not given the thread title :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I agree it was terrible and really obviously irish

It would surely make a lot more sense for him to just kill Tyrion risk a shot at Joffrey to frame Tyrion?

It seems anyway that Sansa and the Tyrells had no part to play in the murder. It seems unlikely that its Martell, although I wouldn't rule him out just yet. I wouldn't rule out Lord Tywin either, but I don't think it was him. My money is on Littlefinger, but if it was him, then why? I don't think it was to frame Tyrion, it was blind luck that Joffrey did what he did at the feast, he could have easily done it to Sansa as well.

It would surely make a lot more sense for him to just kill Tyrion risk a shot at Joffrey to frame Tyrion?

It seems anyway that Sansa and the Tyrells had no part to play in the murder. It seems unlikely that its Martell, although I wouldn't rule him out just yet. I wouldn't rule out Lord Tywin either, but I don't think it was him. My money is on Littlefinger, but if it was him, then why? I don't think it was to frame Tyrion, it was blind luck that Joffrey did what he did at the feast, he could have easily done it to Sansa as well.

If you just kill Tyrion then the crown and Lannisters are still strong and they just marry sansa off to the younger brother, along with a clearly mad king still in place, if you kill the king and frame Tyrion, : the king dies, Tyrion dies, Sansa is up for marriage with no other Lannister men about, Ignoring the wedding itself, Tyrion was the only person to have ever threatened Joffrey (publicly anyway), so he would be first to blame. I think he's got his eyes on the big prize, and is now trying to set things in motion.

If you just kill Tyrion then the crown and Lannisters are still strong and they just marry sansa off to the younger brother, along with a clearly mad king still in place, if you kill the king and frame Tyrion, : the king dies, Tyrion dies, Sansa is up for marriage with no other Lannister men about, Ignoring the wedding itself, Tyrion was the only person to have ever threatened Joffrey (publicly anyway), so he would be first to blame. I think he's got his eyes on the big prize, and is now trying to set things in motion.

Yes, that's a fair point, but Joffrey picking on Tyrion at the wedding was blind luck, and it led to Tyrion being accused. I just don't think it makes sense that Joffrey was killed to frame Tyrion. I think it highly unlikely.
    Regarding your point about Sansa being married off again were Tyrion to be killed, sure that would be the same case were Tyrion to be executed for murder. Only that Sansa was rescued by Dontos & Littlefinger did she escape. Were Tyrion murdered, it would've been just as easy to get Sansa out. Don't see the point in risking others accusing - and convicting - Tyrion of murder.

little fingers accent was put on and now he's dropped it

the dagger he used was the one they were talking about a couple of weeks ago http://www.dailyedge.ie/game-of-thrones-swords-dublin-1414905-Apr2014/

Don't know what people expect from Daenery's though, she's not going to risk her dragons anyvtime soon, and 10,000 (?) unsullied won't win her back Westeros. Also, interesting how Lord Tywin now knows of the dragons and how he's also taking the threat of the Wildlings seriously.

The unsullied won their reputation when 3,000 infantry defended a city against 20,000 dothraki cavalry. With 10,000 soldiers of them and her dragons she has a quality army. I think she has only to secure the transport and secure an early ally to be a big player in Westeros. There has to be some potential allies and it's little wonder Tywin is trying to secure dorne. I hope by the end of this season she is on the ships at least.

Yes, that's a fair point, but Joffrey picking on Tyrion at the wedding was blind luck, and it led to Tyrion being accused. I just don't think it makes sense that Joffrey was killed to frame Tyrion. I think it highly unlikely.
    Regarding your point about Sansa being married off again were Tyrion to be killed, sure that would be the same case were Tyrion to be executed for murder. Only that Sansa was rescued by Dontos & Littlefinger did she escape. Were Tyrion murdered, it would've been just as easy to get Sansa out. Don't see the point in risking others accusing - and convicting - Tyrion of murder.
    I agree that the ridiculing of Tyrion by Joffrey seemed was too conincidental to rely on for framing Tyrion successfully but the notion of framing Tyrion and killing Joffrey makes sense. It would solve Baelish desire to make Sansa available should Tyrion be taken out of the equation and by getting rid of Joffrey he is putting the throne back in a state of flux when it just seemed to be stabilising with Joffreys nearest threats neutralised for the moment. Now they will be waiting years for the next king to come of age and have to investigate Joffreys murder which could unsettle things. As Baelish says "Chaos is a ladder."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Good episode I thought, typical of GoT to have an episode with massive movement/focus on 1 arc and then have a slow 1 to bring everyone else back up to speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

I must admit I welled up a bit when Tyrion said his farewells to Podrick. "There has never lived a more loyal squire."

Peter Dinklage is amazing.

Advertisement