Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities you'd never return to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

- Cairo.

- Budapest

Every other city I've visited, I would happily return to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Geneva. Boring and expensive. The very centre of the city is nice but a few hours is enough there. I was also surprised how run down the place is outside the very centre of the city.

I was there for a conference for work so luckily didn't actually cost me too much out or my own pocket. The few free hours in the evening and an extra day was more than enough to see everything and the night life was useless. No craic around the bars at all, even on a Friday night. No wonder though at 8 euro a pint.

I liked Geneva, I was at La Pacque and I agree about it looking run down but it was no worse than any Irish city. Place itself is busy but very peaceful too. Excellent transport there, I couldn't comment on the price of drink as I don't drink but the Herb is pretty much tolerated there and fairly cheap too..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

- Cairo.

- Budapest

Every other city I've visited, I would happily return to.

was such a waste of money coming here(budapest), its so bad I nearly returned to London s day early. f@ckin miserable kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭recyclops

Hamburg would get my vote, after touring Germany from bottom to top I ended up in this horrendous **** hole of a city,nothing going for it and if it was not for the Red light district and stag parties goin it would be a ghost town

Second place goes to LA massive sprawl of nothingness and the attractions are all soulless, pointless and overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

wilser wrote: »
    What positive is there to take away from Rome?

Not sure if serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

anncoates wrote: »
    Drunshambo.

Where is DruNshambo?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Dublin, would never go back. DUMP is just one word to describe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭RustDaz

Bristol & Newport. Grey and polluted miserable hole. the place depresses you until its out of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

bear1 wrote: »
    Here is my list:

Athens - I was amazed at how ugly and boring the city is.. Greece generally I wouldn't go back to. Overpriced and baron. The beaches are nice though.

This is the only city I'd never return to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Surprised at the hatred for Brussels - I've been there 3 times & I'd go again... I found it a really varied place with loads to do (it DOES have some ugly buildings though) & I really like sitting on the ground of the Grand Place on a summer night. Weird that so many hated it! I speak French, maybe that changes things...

Anyway. Cities I wouldn't return to:
    Birmingham - not much going for it except a giant shopping centre.

Eindhoven - very pretty in places, probably a grand city to live in, but quite boring for tourists.

Most cities/towns on the Costa del Sol in Spain - completely soulless tourist traps.

Tortosa, Spain - went on a day trip (just picked a random train & ended up there) & found it really unfriendly, bordering on menacing.

I'd give Amsterdam a second chance, but I thought it was really over-rated (unless you smoke weed, the nightlife is average at best) & felt a bit unsafe at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

lufties wrote: »
    I have no interest in America either for some reason but I probably will return at some point.

I am laughing away to myself here, I just posted on a different thread earlier, about people saying the how they don't like the USA. I can understand if you don't like say, Las Vegas, or New York or whatever, but the US is such a huge, diverse place, with so many things/places to see, there has to be a part of to suit all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'd agree on Amsterdam. I found it a bit rough and there is too much focus on hash and seedy red light districts.

Brussels has a lot of issues that remind me a lot of Dublin.

The Grand Place and the areas around the palace etc is lovely but then there's a donut of run down areas not unlike Dublin's north inner city. Then it suddenly opens out into quite pleasant, leafy suburbs.

Brussels isn't a bad spot to live.

Paris is huge like London and has a multitude of varied areas. Its very hard to generalise. You could have a fantastic or terrible time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Barcelona. Smelly dump full of criminals and rude locals

Delhi: Worst city in India by a mile. Highlights included an attempted scamming at the bus station involving paying a fortune for accommodation, and a guy chasing me down the street offering me a 14 year old girl. Traffic was awful too

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    I am laughing away to myself here, I just posted on a different thread earlier, about people saying the how they don't like the USA. I can understand if you don't like say, Las Vegas, or New York or whatever, but the US is such a huge, diverse place, with so many things/places to see, there has to be a part of to suit all.

Oh you mean places like washington dc, arkansas, or minnasota?

I always why people move to America, to me it seems like nothing but socially engineered hardship. Somewhere like new orleans or perhaps chicago might interest me but you can have the rest.

Barcelona. Smelly dump full of criminals and rude locals

Delhi: Worst city in India by a mile. Highlights included an attempted scamming at the bus station involving paying a fortune for accommodation, and a guy chasing me down the street offering me a 14 year old girl. Traffic was awful too

Haha! That is so funny. Did you make that up or are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Miami Beach. **** i'm ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

wazky wrote: »
    Kilkenny

city/town argument aside. Did you really not like Kilkenny? I think its one of the nicest towns in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

lufties wrote: »
    What about the wimmin? at the end of the day thats the main thing that matters :D

TBH while they are incredibly attractive they are a bit standoffish mainly because Swedish guys are utterly useless as picking them up unless they are beyond drunk.
    Turn up there with the Irish accent and a bit of charm and it does wonders! WONDERS I TELL YE

Haha! That is so funny. Did you make that up or are you serious?

Unfortunately, that did happen. He told me about all the different types of women he had on offer, including a 14 year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

kenmc wrote: »
    Hanoi. rest of Vietnam was lovely, Hanoi just didn't do it for me.

not a city, but pak beng on the slow boat from Thailand to luang prabang, couldn't get out of there fast enough....

Agreed on pakbeng. Has a extreme air of discomfort about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I'd +1 all those saying Vegas, seedy, fake and the hack of desperation in the air. Spent 3 days there and never would go again. Only positives to it was the trip to the Grand Canyon.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    TBH while they are incredibly attractive they are a bit standoffish mainly because Swedish guys are utterly useless as picking them up unless they are beyond drunk.
    Turn up there with the Irish accent and a bit of charm and it does wonders! WONDERS I TELL YE

fair enough, i was in stockholm and it was meh..From what i've heard Poland is the place to go for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I liked Brussels. Places I'd never want to visit again -

Christchurch and most towns/cities in NZ are painfully dull
    Belfast was an unfriendly kip and suffered sectarian abuse twice while minding my own business
    Calgary - ended up there for a year once, still feel suicidal thinking about it
    Indianapolis - like a bigger Calgary with probably even less going on

At least dangerous ****holes offer a bit of edginess to them, Calgary and Indy didn't even have that!
    You found Belfast unfriendly? I think it's probably the most friendly city I've visited.

roro1990 wrote: »
    Agreed on pakbeng. Has a extreme air of discomfort about it.

Forgot about that place. Felt very unsafe there, was convinced I'd be robbed. When I finally left my hotel room and went for a beer, got chatting to the owner of the cafe and his family, and they were lovely. Told me of all the scams the minority of locals got up to, but that the majority of the town were good honest people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Forgot about that place. Felt very unsafe there, was convinced I'd be robbed. When I finally left my hotel room and went for a beer, got chatting to the owner of the cafe and his family, and they were lovely. Told me of all the scams the minority of locals got up to, but that the majority of the town were good honest people

Yeah the owner of my guesthouse was pretty sound also but I still couldn't shake off the unsafe vibes of the place. I wouldn't walk around there after dark. On a related note, Luang Prabang which is the city most people end up in after Pakbeng is a pretty special place that I'd consider going back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Cokezero

Sofia Bulgaria,

Full of cats roaming around, dangerous pavements, very little to do tourist wise, really cheap but not an enjoyable holiday destination. Was only there a short while but have no interest in coming back.

Also Agra

The only place I have been to where I didn't want to go off exploring. Felt really dingy and didn't feel comfortable there at all.

Loved Prague and Budapest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Not a city but Hurghada in Egypt - actually Egypt in it's entirety.
    The never ending in your face selling is just painful.
    You cant walk the street without being pestered by aggressive d**kheads flogging crap while taxi after taxi pulls up beside you asking if you want a lift?
    Even the shop owners stand outside their shops and hassle you.

Cokezero wrote: »
    Sofia Bulgaria,

I was in sunny beach twice in Bulgaria, wouldn't go back again as I'm fed up with the place. I done a day trip to Burgas in Bulgaria one day, not much to do there so I just went back to the bus station, one thing I noticed was the security guards at bus station had guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Not a city, but I wouldn't go back to Zakynthos if you paid me. Horrible, souless place, although the people are lovely. I love Greece, so I was very disappointed...

Birmingham. Khazi of a place even with the improvements in the Bullring. But I went there often on business, have friends in the city, and am planning to go to Cruft's next year, so I have to suffer the place again.

Bonn. Just boring, but the beer was good! :D

Maastrict - ditto.

Lyon's a bit of a tip too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    You found Belfast unfriendly? I think it's probably the most friendly city I've visited.

Same with me, I love Belfast. Never had any bother there and you don't have lots of junkies frequenting the city centre like Dublin. Much more cleaner too.

Advertisement