Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities you'd never return to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Montevideo (not sure I spelled it right). Kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Paris was an absolute shíthole. Went there to see the Louvre and Notre dame, which are both worth seeing, but other than that.. Avoid the place like a plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

lufties wrote: »
    Oh you mean places like washington dc, arkansas, or minnasota?

I always why people move to America, to me it seems like nothing but socially engineered hardship. Somewhere like new orleans or perhaps chicago might interest me but you can have the rest.

I wasn't looking for an argument, and I have not been all over the USA, I am just saying some parts must be of interest......and it amuses me when someone say "I don't like America".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Freetown, Sierra Leone...still have nightmares, dangerous kip.

This post has 7 thanks.

Add you, and eight people agree.

Are there really 8 people here who have been to Sierra Leone? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Swampy wrote: »
    Montevideo (not sure I spelled it right). Kip.

Lived in Montevideo for 5 months and absolutely loved it, id move back in a flash!

My vote would go to Quito, Ecuador. it seemed that ever second person was out to rob/con/hustle you in some way or another.
    Brasília would be another one, never been so bored in a city. no history,no culture its just like someone picked a random spot in the middle of nowhere and decided to start pouring concrete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭fyfe79

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    In wasn't looking for an argument, and I have not been all over the USA, I am just saying some parts must be of interest......and it amuses me when someone say "I don't like America".

Interesting that Minnesota was mentioned - I was there about 15 years ago, liked it a lot. Both St Paul, and Minneapolis especially, had a busy city vibe but not overbearing at all. Outside the cities was a little 'rednecky' but charming all the same! Minnesota isn't a state that's ever on people's holiday radar, compared to Miami which I hated.

Maybe tourist trap cities are brilliant for some people, but to be avoided by others?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Cape Town. Strange spot. Once was enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Not so much a city, but the Virgin Islands.

Don't get me wrong, great the first time but nothing special worth returning for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

A lot of the cities I would hate as a tourist were actually not that bad to live in. Brussels is a bit of a kip with little to see tourism-wise, but I found it quite a nice, laidback place to live. Doesn't have that big, busy city vibe, yet the nightlife is pretty good at weekends. Loads of little cafes with outside terraces to have a reasonably priced beer. I lived in one of the outer suburbs, which was boring but lovely.

Lived in South Korea for a short time as well and while it's not dangerous or menacing, many of the cities are a bit ugly and soulless with little to see for tourists. It's alright to live in though - hugely convenient with shops open really, really late, all kinds of food/drink available, people mostly friendly and helpful and mind their own business.

Places I wouldn't go back to:

Barcelona. It is beautiful, but the negatives far outweigh the positives. The pickpocking and mugging issues are out of control. I couldn't relax for one moment. My travelling companion had her bag snatched off her shoulder in broad daylight and the police couldn't have cared less. It's very expensive to eat, drink or do anything fun and the people are some of the most snotty, stuck up, arrogant people I've ever had the misfortune to meet.

Bratislava. Some of it is really pretty (the rest is hideous) and food/drink excellent value, making it a great place to go for a weekend if you just want a change of scenery. Really not much else to do, though. I was there a day and a half and ran out of things to do.

Prague. Again, beautiful in the centre, but ugly and soulless outside it. The unfriendliest people ever. Overpriced food and drink - it's basically one big tourist trap. Won't be back.

Rome. Very interesting with loads to see and do, but the obnoxious people ruined it for me.

Washington DC. I enjoyed visiting the White House and all the museums and had a couple of great meals, but don't feel the need to return. Not too much to see there.

Tangiers. My God, what a hellhole. Probably the worst place I've ever been. Has a horrible, menacing vibe, people are just hanging around staring at you. Had to catch a ferry there and was very, very glad to finally get out of the kip.

Malmo. Super boring and soulless. Was bored there after about an hour. Unfriendly people, expensive food/drink.

Orlando. A real kip. Full of gangs and guns and hence overly aggressive police, menacing vibe about the place. At the same time, fake and soulless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I've mostly been to European cities (with Chicago being the only exception, which is my favourite city I've been) but the list isn't extensive (yet!) and I haven't been anywhere I would flat out say I would never go back to but if I didn't have friends in Warsaw I probably wouldn't go back. It's an alright city but there's not a whole lot to do tourist-wise after about a day or 2, great nightlife but not a huge amount more.

My biggest disappointment so far would probably be Paris. I did enjoy myself but for a city so hyped up by the media and just in general, I found it to be a bit ugly and a complete rip-off, it also doesn't feel overly safe. I would return as I know I've only seen a fraction of the things to do there but it'd be low enough on my list.

Surprised by the amount of people saying Budapest, absolutely loved it myself and one of the best nightlife cities I've been to so far in Europe. Some of the people can be grumpy arséholes in shops etc but tbh most of my experiences with locals were pretty positive. Oh and extremely cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Olive8585 wrote: »
    Barcelona. It is beautiful, but the negatives far outweigh the positives. The pickpocking and mugging issues are out of control. I couldn't relax for one moment. My travelling companion had her bag snatched off her shoulder in broad daylight and the police couldn't have cared less. It's very expensive to eat, drink or do anything fun and the people are some of the most snotty, stuck up, arrogant people I've ever had the misfortune to meet.

Barcelona has had a few mentions. I don't get it myself, I think it's a lovely place, the foods great, the people are nice, can't wait to go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Galway – I’ve never felt so unwelcome in all my life. We got kicked out of every pub due (apart from the spear tackle incident) to no fault of our own. We even got kicked out of a wedding the bride invited us to crash. We were staying in the same hotel, having some craic with the guests and even though the bride had a huge argument with the security guy that she wanted us to stay, he still wanted to kick us out.

Barcelona – dirty kip and outside of one family run restaurant we didn’t meet one friendly local.

Delhi – so many friggin’ beggars, and I don’t know what scam that old guy at the bus station wanted to pull on me, but he quickly became the most psycho nutter I’ve ever met when I would only speak as gailige….

Sao Paolo – dangerous gaff and the security guys wouldn’t leave us in anywhere. We ended up having a great time at a free concert in a train station with a load of students. :D

Quito – just crap. Everything was crap. Crap food, crap accommodation, crap nightlife, etc.

Saigon – most of it was okay but nothing special. The thing that would have me not going back was the way the different bars were so aggressive about trying to get us to go in. “Us” being the white people in the group; not the Americans of Chinese descent that were with us.

In contrast I want to stand up for some of the places mentioned. I know there’s another thread but….

Prague – found a lot of places could be unfriendly, but a few local places just outside the city center made us feel very welcome. Had some good times in the uber-touristy places too.

Phenomh Penh – quite dirty in parts and the huge Indian guy with a table full of underage looking girls left a bad taste in the mouth, but quite beautiful in parts, friendly locals, great food and great nightlife. It’s kind of a shame that the only locals you could meet at night were either working or on the job though. Loved Cambodia.

Phuket – one of my favorite places in the world. I’ve passed through twice and one of my favorite bars is there – Rock City. Live metal, cheap drink, pool tables and a kebab stand outside the door! What more do you want? Beautiful weather, cheap (compared to here at least, if not some other places in SEA) and loads to do. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I saw no evidence of the kiddy fiddling other posters have mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

DubVelo wrote: »
    Barcelona has had a few mentions. I don't get it myself, I think it's a lovely place, the foods great, the people are nice, can't wait to go back!

It's just dangerous. Full of scammers, pickpockers, muggers and other various criminals. I can't enjoy myself in a city where I'm constantly looking over my shoulder and clinging on to my bag. And I'm not scared of my own shadow or anything - have lived in NYC and now live in London and fairly well-travelled. Would not go back to Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

bluewolf wrote: »
    LA & Boston
    Hated them

Nobody ever has anything good to say about LA, but what did you not like about Boston?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

This thread has taught me to appreciate what we have despite all its faults. Sure tis a grand little country we have. That said, one then can't help but think how much better it could be with some tweaks.

Olive8585 wrote: »
    It's just dangerous. Full of scammers, pickpockers, muggers and other various criminals. I can't enjoy myself in a city where I'm constantly looking over my shoulder and clinging on to my bag. And I'm not scared of my own shadow or anything - have lived in NYC and now live in London and fairly well-travelled. Would not go back to Barcelona.

Didn't meet anything like that myself, thought parts of London were way dodgier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Loved barca going back again this year. Doesn't feel particularly more dangerous than anywhere else but each to their own.

Prague was ****. People are total sick heads and got quite bored. Was only there for 4 days which was loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

grimm2005 wrote: »
    I've mostly been to European cities (with Chicago being the only exception, which is my favourite city I've been) but the list isn't extensive (yet!) and I haven't been anywhere I would flat out say I would never go back to but if I didn't have friends in Warsaw I probably wouldn't go back. It's an alright city but there's not a whole lot to do tourist-wise after about a day or 2, great nightlife but not a huge amount more.

My biggest disappointment so far would probably be Paris. I did enjoy myself but for a city so hyped up by the media and just in general, I found it to be a bit ugly and a complete rip-off, it also doesn't feel overly safe. I would return as I know I've only seen a fraction of the things to do there but it'd be low enough on my list.

Surprised by the amount of people saying Budapest, absolutely loved it myself and one of the best nightlife cities I've been to so far in Europe. Some of the people can be grumpy arséholes in shops etc but tbh most of my experiences with locals were pretty positive. Oh and extremely cheap.

You must be joking about budapest, where is any good? been to the ruin pubs and boat pub, both a bit meh..other than that where is there? the people are horrible. I' d rather stay indoors tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Geneva. Boring and expensive. The very centre of the city is nice but a few hours is enough there. I was also surprised how run down the place is outside the very centre of the city.

I was there for a conference for work so luckily didn't actually cost me too much out or my own pocket. The few free hours in the evening and an extra day was more than enough to see everything and the night life was useless. No craic around the bars at all, even on a Friday night. No wonder though at 8 euro a pint.

Can't say I've ever been anywhere I truely hated but Geneva is possibly the single most boring place I've ever been. The lake is beautiful and the old town has its charm but wasn't sad to leave. Ridiculously expensive too. I'd been to Switzerland before so knew what to expect pricewise but Geneva was just crazy - even compared to other Swiss cities.

To be fair I was there on Patrick's Day so was looking to have a few beers in the evening so the boredom probably exagerrated itself.

Calibos wrote: »
    This thread has taught me to appreciate what we have despite all its faults. Sure tis a grand little country we have. That said, one then can't help but think how much better it could be with some tweaks.

No backslapping or 'shur aren't we great' allowed on this thread :o

• Advertisement

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go back to Dublin in a hurry. Full of pick pockets.

No it's not.

No it's not.

True, it may be a miserable depressing place but there's very little pick pockets.

No it's not.

Yes it is.

Also I was curious and bored and found this list of crime stats by city. Dublin is more dangerous than Quito and London is more dangerous than Barcelona according to the stats, so there you go:
    http://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Brussels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Glasgow. The dreariest city I was ever in.

It really is an absolutely horrid kip.

With manchester a close second. Another dreary hell hole

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Milan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Nobody ever has anything good to say about LA, but what did you not like about Boston?

Nothing I could put my finger on. Just so empty-feeling and soulless. Couldn't wait to get out of there. Even the taxi drivers were like "why are you here? Nobody comes here unless they have friends or family here"

lufties wrote: »
    True, it may be a miserable depressing place but there's very little pick pockets.

You're doing it wrong.
    DubVelo wrote: »
    Yes it is.

It having more crime some other random world city doesn't mean it's full of pickpockets or is even that crime-ridden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Cardiff

Really depressing, rundown, not much to be at. Was over there for a Cup Final in the Millenium Stadium back in the day. But there was sod all in the city and it just seemed like a big dump.

Bristol

See entry for "Cardiff".

Brussels

For the "capital" of Europe, this is one major kip. Fair enough, unemployment amongst the 15-24 demographic runs at 33%+, but still... It's just so run-down, depressing and seedy. On the way into the city from the airport, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach; the whole way in, it just reminded me of Pripryat (the abandoned city next to Chernobyl); boarded up and abandoned buildings, everything looked like it had come from the 1970's and had never been painted or replaced since, overgrown gardens of abandoned homes... it was bleak, depressing and not exactly how you'd imagine the seat of power for Europe.

Newark

I suppose standing meekly in the shadow of New York City wouldn't make you feel good, but you could at least make a bit of an effort, no?! Industrial, bleak, grey. Nothing redeeming... well, you can spot locations from The Sopranos in it, but that's about it. Thankfully, less than an hour's drive to get out of it and back to the warm, dazzling glow of NYC.

Atlantic City

Las Vegas's poorer, seedier, dirtier brother. Nowhere near as glamorous, luxurious or even as good for gaming. I'd accept it being a bit less gorgeous if the gaming was brilliant. But it's not. Vegas trumps it on all fronts. Avoid.

Cities in Northern England

By and large, all very similar (Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Doncaster, etc.). Bleak, grey, dilapidated industrial yards, rusting boats/trucks, high crime and unemployment. Some nice spots in them, but for the most part, not pleasant spots. That said, some nice people in them who love to talk at length with the Irish and do bad Irish impersonations that are quite endearing. But still doesn't change the fact that the place you are in is about as exciting and engaging as a graveyard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BarryLyndon

^Manchester has a bit going in fairness if you can get past the mostly grim weather.

Agreed about other Northern UK cities; mainly a tale of economic and social decline, apart from some rare exceptions

Advertisement