Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities you'd never return to

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Larianne wrote: »
    Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Fukin awful city. So, so poor and feck all in it.
    One beggar outside Prison 21 had half his face burnt(?) off.
    Very disturbing and unpleasant. :(

What's wrong with a city being poor? And feck all in it? The Killing Fields and the Tuol Sleng prison are two of the most interesting and potentially life changing sites you could ever visit. I've enormous respect for the citizens of Phnom Penh. The amount of **** they have went through and yet they all still smile way more than your average person in Dublin or any other first world city. Puts things in perspective and gives you a new outlook on life. well it certainly did for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Bacchus wrote: »
    Gotta disagree with that. The Khmer people have to be some of the friendliest, most welcoming people I've ever come across. They're just so smiley and happy. There is a lot of sadness in the city (and the country) due to it's history (and current events) but the people made it for me. Great city, great people, great food. Pity about the men in charge.

It's not a great city or anything of the sort. It's one of the most unsettling and sadiest cities I've been to. No amount of good food can make up for the amount of child prostitution that goes on there.

Spent 4 months travelling around SEA and it's the only place I wouldn't go back to.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭KilOit

anto9 wrote: »
    I do remember the coldness still of one staff member in a restaurant I visited there so you may have a point .

I actually had a staff member turn her back to me in a huff while waiting for the supervisor to fix the register.
    Gorgeous city with lots to do but the people are just totally uninterested in you, it kinda made me feel uneasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

CJC999 wrote: »
    Frankfurt...it's simply the most boring place I've ever been too, there's nothing of interest there.

I had friends living there that I visited. Had a brilliant weekend. Cheap beer, friendly locals, great food, great city to cycle around and brilliant nightlife. One of the cleanest city's I've been to too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Atlantis- Bugger to find the place,very damp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bear1 wrote: »

Barbados - Not a city but a country I wouldn't go back to. We were there last year for our honeymoon. The amount of stares we got as a white couple, people trying to sell you drugs at every street or beach you go to. Beautiful country though. Extremely expensive.

Oh sweet Jesus, it's like a joint KFC with cocaine sprinkled on top. Worst place in the carribean.
    Bridgetown should be in the Guinness world record book for fat asses, and they think we've a problem with fast food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Johannesburg - wouldn't go back to anywhere that 90% of the city is a no go area.

Hong Kong - very little to actually do here as a tourist.

Nairobi - nobody else has said this yet and I wanted everyone to know I've been here.

Yeah I really didn't like it over there either.

Every single street corner and set of traffic lights is manned by poverty stricken amputees (the homeless frequently don't have shoes etc, they get cut feet, it gets infected and the only treatment they can get is amputation) begging.

Whats worse is that you'll see no shortage of brand new mercedes SUV's and luxury goods stores full of whites in the middle of it all.

Walking downtown one day and happened to make eye contact with a guy in a van..

I have never seen such hate in a mans eyes..

For no reason as well.

Felt ridden with white guilt over there.

Nasty place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Los Angeles,Luxembourg and Madrid,Birmingham too. Once is enough for those sheetholes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Copenhagen. Overpriced, dirty, noisy, hookers all around train station, run down hotels, people were rude etc... only thing that worked was public transport! First place I've gone too and couldnt wait to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭BQQ

notnumber wrote: »
    Atlantis- Bugger to find the place,very damp.

That might have been funny if someone hadn't made the joke a page before you.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I'm not in a huge rush back to Atlantis.
    Overrated, fish everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Nagoya.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

It would be false to state that I would never return to the below, so let's just say that I won't be going back in a hurry.

Amsterdam - if you don't smoke, hugely dull and overrated.
    Las Vegas - similar, if you don't gamble, horrendously tacky, superficial place
    San Francisco - beggars follow you everywhere.
    Chicago - Just didn't do it for me at all, although I may have not been in the right areas
    Johannesburg - As another poster said, you get so many warnings about how dangerous it is, you end up doing nothing.
    Quito - The only city in the world where I felt a genuine air of menace about the place, for no apparent reason (was not in a particularly dodgy area, no one eyeing me up etc).
    Canberra - Just Dullsville
    Tijuana - Hell on earth, from every point of view
    Hong Kong - Just too rushed or something, odd seeing as I like NYC but there you go
    Jaco - Just sleazy
    Tamarindo - Same, full of the worst kind of Americans also
    Marmaris - again just sleazy place
    Oslo - Nice city, just so expensive, I'd have to be earning a huge salary to have any sort of a good time there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Barcelona,

Hated it, people are very rude, the place is full of thieves and La Rambla is a kip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Atlanta no culture and bad service.

Brussels..boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Moscow
    Rome
    New York

Taught Atlanta was alright tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

BQQ wrote: »
    That might have been funny if someone hadn't made the joke a page before you.

might still work for people who avoid reading even numbered thread pages though..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Copenhagen. Overpriced, dirty, noisy, hookers all around train station, run down hotels, people were rude etc... only thing that worked was public transport! First place I've gone too and couldnt wait to leave.

Seriously? Never been but my image of Copenhagen was this utopian city where everything is perfectly clean and works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Budapest. Grafitti, sirens, rudeness and all the food tasted the same.

Pompeii. Nothing happening there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Budapest. Grafitti, sirens, rudeness and all the food tasted the same.

Pompeii. Nothing happening there at all.

And thats exactly how they want it to stay!:D
    I found Rome, and Barcelona to be quite full of pick pockets, group thieves and sh*t-vendors. I know yer stuck lads but if you buy one thing, twenty more surround you with their wares!:eek:

What I will say about Naples,and while not really wishing to go back again,was that it was so bad it was actually good!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

I have lived in a few of the cities mentioned:
    Brussels for a year - some good places but in general Belgium is a depressing kip!

Amsterdam for 2 years - i agree overrated and indeed if they took the weed and hookers away, it is just another city with a few nice canals, it is what it is though and the dutch take full advantage of their free liberalism, i believe the dutch are closet rascists and the sexual innuendo towards women is a bit bizarre, particularly in the office i worked in, bit weird in general but it's better than Louth

Bangkok for a year - smelly but without doubt the most interesting and thriving city i have been too, huge place, i fcuking loved it

Newcastle - ****hole
    Louth - depressing kip

I get the feeling some people arrived at some of the cities mentioned, stuck to the touristy spots and judge the whole place on a two day experience.

Can't get over the Miami hatred, I loved it. Full of such a mix of people and what a skyline. Nassau is probably the only place I'm in full agreement over, from the little stores trying to sell you 'cheap' diamonds, to the cracked pavements trying to break your ankle, nothing about it appealed.

Vienna is a place that someone called boring but I could live there for a year and find something new to do everyday. Same with Paris, there's more to it than the Eiffel tower or L'arc de Triomphe.

How can anyone hate NY? So much to see and do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I liked Brussels. Places I'd never want to visit again -

Christchurch and most towns/cities in NZ are painfully dull
    Belfast was an unfriendly kip and suffered sectarian abuse twice while minding my own business
    Calgary - ended up there for a year once, still feel suicidal thinking about it
    Indianapolis - like a bigger Calgary with probably even less going on

At least dangerous ****holes offer a bit of edginess to them, Calgary and Indy didn't even have that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

lufties wrote: »
    Having been in a good few places around the world, I would have to say Budapest is a beautiful one with regard to history and architecture, but it is definately to most unfriendly place I've been, the people I encountered were rude and unhelpful consistantly, hence I will not be returning. Other than that I'd say stuttgart in germany(yawn), or varanassi in India, an interesting place but a nightmare to get around.

Brussels is somewhere i won't be goin back to anytime soon.I've spent 11 nights there over three separate stints,and while the city centre squares and the breathtaking architecture(tourist central) scratch the surface and you will quickly realise that is a seriously dangerous city,there are gangs prowling around,mostly young men of northern African descent that will Rob any tourist they encounter,with violence.On the three occasions i spent time in Brussels i was subjected to two attempted muggings and had a Belgian couple try to have away with my bag.Add to that the French speaking population in Brussels look down on people with no French with disdain. The Flemish speakers were a lot more accommodating though it has to be said.And if you do find yourself in Brussels,avoid the areas around the main trainstation,Gar du nord(window prostitution) and anderlecht. because you Will without doubt be targeted by criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

nimes. too many french

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I liked Brussels. Places I'd never want to visit again -

Christchurch and most towns/cities in NZ are painfully dull
    Belfast was an unfriendly kip and suffered sectarian abuse twice while minding my own business
    Calgary - ended up there for a year once, still feel suicidal thinking about it
    Indianapolis - like a bigger Calgary with probably even less going on

At least dangerous ****holes offer a bit of edginess to them, Calgary and Indy didn't even have that!

Be careful what you wish for regards Indy,already 50+ murders there this year and a homicide rate double Chicago's,Indy's goin ghetto:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I wonder would Dublin get a mention on similar threads in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I wonder would Dublin get a mention on similar threads in other countries.

I'd say it would, if the Irish themselves can see Dublin in a different light then I imagine foreigners can too.
    It's not all bad, some dodgy parts but like every city. I actually don't mind Dublin at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Harare, Zimbabwe. Went there several times during the 90's, each time the place was worse than the time before. Wouldn't go back until the political situation changes. Would sooner go back to Maputo or Ouagadougou before i'd go back to Harare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭lc180

Its probably been mentioned a good bit already but Los Angeles is one kip I'd never go back to.

Way too spread out for tourists and crackheads everywhere.

Advertisement