Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities you'd never return to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

You're doing it wrong.

It having more crime some other random world city doesn't mean it's full of pickpockets or is even that crime-ridden.

I just picked out Quito because that was mentioned a few times here. It's higher up the list than a whole load of cities. You seriously DON'T think Dublin is crime-ridden!?

I think it's full of pickpockets because when I was moaning to my friends about having had something nicked in town it turned out nearly all of them had had stuff pinched in the last year in Dublin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Dublin.
    Filthy kip with nothing going on except binge-drinking and junkie-dodging.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 von_catsworth

budapest

awful food
    rude people

everyone trying to rip you off

miserable feel to the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

This thread has been really informative. I've learned people really do make a city. Its also pointed out cities that I won't bother visiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

DubVelo wrote: »
    I just picked out Quito because that was mentioned a few times here. It's higher up the list than a whole load of cities. You seriously DON'T think Dublin is crime-ridden!?

Not especially, no, and I've lived here for eight years.

• Advertisement

budapest

awful food
    rude people

everyone trying to rip you off

miserable feel to the place

I just paid about 8k foringts for a soup, and lamb main course with a glass of wine and tea. You'd pay less in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Yes it is.

Also I was curious and bored and found this list of crime stats by city. Dublin is more dangerous than Quito and London is more dangerous than Barcelona according to the stats, so there you go:
    http://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings.jsp

NO, its not.

I have spent a bit of time in Dublin, and never had my pocket picked, and I don't know of anyone who has had a pocket picked ( that's not to say it never happens). I was in Barcelona only one day and had my wallet lifted, and my friend had a camera stolen.....all in one day.

And I loved Barcelona....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Dunnie1982

Dublin if I could help it, horrible city, the people in general are unfriendly and it's a kip. Also junkies and beggars everywhere.

London, like a bigger Dublin & the people are nothing like those in the north of England who are much friendlier.

Not a city, but Anacostia in Washington DC, the scariest place I've ever been, I had to meet someone at the metro station there once and they were over an hour late, an experience I enjoyed but wouldn't do again.

Bruges, the most boring place I've ever been to.

My favourite cities: Lisbon, Boston & Newport Rhode Island.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Christchurch NZ.
    Once I leave this place I won't cone back in a fit. A miserable, soul destroying place at the moment. Run down mess after the quake.

sad to hear. I went to aucklanx a few years ago, nice town but 2 nights was enough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 von_catsworth

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Christchurch NZ.
    Once I leave this place I won't cone back in a fit. A miserable, soul destroying place at the moment. Run down mess after the quake.

havent been there since 1998 but i remember it to be very dull and boring , thought it was quite pretty however

its definatley the most conservative city in new zealand , a bit like adelaide in australia

havent been there since 2009 but was there four times in total from 2005 , the economy is in much worse shape there now

i remember asking for turkey and ham in a particular restaraunt , they gave me sliced sandwich ham and it was cold

I'm not suprised, the people are feckin awful..I'd never ever ever ever return to Hungary again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Galway – I’ve never felt so unwelcome in all my life. We got kicked out of every pub due (apart from the spear tackle incident) to no fault of our own. We even got kicked out of a wedding the bride invited us to crash. We were staying in the same hotel, having some craic with the guests and even though the bride had a huge argument with the security guy that she wanted us to stay, he still wanted to kick us out..

I don't tend to stick up for Galway too often but I lived there for most of my life. Getting kicked out of a pub tends to only happen when warranted. Also, the staff were correct in trying to get rid of yee from a wedding party. Some would use outsiders crashing the wedding as a way to complain and get money back. I'd say give Galway another a go, it's not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

i remember asking for turkey and ham in a particular restaraunt , they gave me sliced sandwich ham and it was cold
    You were lucky you survived.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I don't tend to stick up for Galway too often but I lived there for most of my life. Getting kicked out of a pub tends to only happen when warranted. Also, the staff were correct in trying to get rid of yee from a wedding party. Some would use outsiders crashing the wedding as a way to complain and get money back. I'd say give Galway another a go, it's not that bad.

I like galway, but the smug, buckfast drinking arty fartys put me off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Newport in Wales is a kip as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭Olive8585

lufties wrote: »
    I'm not suprised, the people are feckin awful..I'd never ever ever ever return to Hungary again.

Never been to Hungary, but all the Hungarians I've met over here have been lovely. Do all the nice ones leave?

Dusseldorf was one of the most boring places I've ever been to. Very grey and bleak. I was pretty disappointed. I had been to that region of Germany before and enjoyed it but that city is pretty lifeless.

Los Angeles....but I will be returning in 3 weeks, I'm presenting at a conference there. It's a pretty terrible place though. Very few redeeming features.

Amsterdam. I don't smoke Pot and I'm not a big drinker. Also at this point of my life, I have no interest in the women in the windows. Some of the architecture around the place is pretty cool but you can find similar in other cities. I will say that the people I met there were very nice. If they could get rid of the pot, it might make the place more interesting.

Olive8585 wrote: »
    Never been to Hungary, but all the Hungarians I've met over here have been lovely. Do all the nice ones leave?

Maybe who knows, but the ones here are miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Maybe who knows, but the ones here are miserable.

Hmm... reminds me of somewhere... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I like Galway but the hippy / hipster smugness really does get old really fast.

Only so many times I can hear someone tell me how "The Man" is controlling all "the sheeple"...............except them cuz they've it all figured out :pac:

Hmm... reminds me of somewhere... :P

where?

That's a much more valid complaint! Had an American over there a few months ago. I regret that Galway was the first place we went. It was a bad first impression. I never realized how few smiles you see when walking through Shop Street. The place doesn't really cover itself in glory in terms of quality of service either. And then making the mistake of going out at night there!

Put it into contrast. If you go out to Clifden or up to Westport. Go walking around and people will give you the 'oul nod of the head, maybe a "Howya!?" I hated Dublin when I was younger. So many scumbags around the place...the scumbags are still there but in the last few years I've seen some of the nicer areas. I also brought the same American there. Stayed by the airport so went to take the Bus from the airport into the city. The guy selling the tickets was the nicest person we met the entire time we were in Ireland. An amazing ambassador for the country, I wish he was the person working at the border patrol in the airport itself. He'd be a great welcome for all. Service in general seemed much better in Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

A stranger arrives in a city and asks a local what the people are like here?
    The local looks puzzled, then ponders for a moment, and asks the stranger - "What were they like in the city that you have just come from?"
    "Just terrible" said the stranger, "unfriendly, rude, always staring at me - I was always on the alert because the place gave me a very bad feeling, I was sure that they would mug me or steal my valuables."
    "I see" said the local, "then I am afraid that that is exactly how you will find them here too."!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Melbourne is a beautiful city with a fantastic public transport system, lots of different nationalities but everyone so polite, will go back again, loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Frankfurt

Lived there for 6 months and honestly they were the most miserable 6 months of my life.

Small Financial center that has no culture at all, go on any of the streets that surround the financial center and it almost turns into a slum.

I may go back to visit some friends, but that is at a stretch.
    Sir Chops wrote: »
    Luxembourg and Limerick
    spent six years in limerick and loved it there.

Most Irish people who say they don't like Limerick have never been there I've found.

I imagine this is the case here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Manchester
    Budapest
    Las Vegas - it's a once only thing to scratch off the list, saying that I have to go back next year!
    Paris - disgustingly smelly and dirty, thieves everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

LA
    Dallas
    Budapest - just wasnt taken with it at all
    Cape Town - gorgeous and so lucky to see it when I did, but it was unsafe then and it's a whole lot worse now. If things got better there I'd be back in a heartbeat.
    Laganas (in Zakynthos)
    Milan - locals seem to play a sport involving by how much they can overcharge the anglophone tourist.
    Alicante

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

jane82 wrote: »
    I went to thermopylae once. 300 hundred locals turned up at a narrow passageway coming into the town and all huddled together and wouldnt let us through.
    We had to camp there took us months to get in.

You look so good for someone that's around 2500 years old

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

No it's not.

Yes it is. In the city centre there's fecking loads of them. I've never seen a city as bad Dublin for pick pockets, and I've been to Barcelona.

Advertisement