Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three weeks. 3,000kms.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

detones wrote: »
    You think about doing the Giro Stage 3 with the lads from the club tomorrow? Would help you chip a nice chunk out of the distance and with some company. Say you b*ll*xed after that effort today though.

The body is fine actually. I was just freezing cold and like a drowned rat at the time. I was small ringing it most of the way so not too much effort on the legs.

The timing doesn't suit me tomorrow as my mammy wants to feed me so I'll head out on my own early enough, away from Wicklow!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Your flying anyway and considering the base you came from its mighty impressive. I've been cycling all through the winter and your already out performing me in 2 short weeks! This threads been a depressing read ;-)

Got my photo taken by the WAR crew while out today!

http://actionphotography.ie/image/5696/44545/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

You look miserable for sure!

kennyb3 wrote: »
    You look miserable for sure!

I smiled for the next shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Got my photo taken by the WAR crew while out today!

http://actionphotography.ie/image/5696/44545/

So this thread was just a ruse to break the news that you have become a triathlete? Shocking!

Though I guess we should be thankful that the weather conditions meant the photo didn't capture you riding your bike in triathlon-approved speedos and man bra. From that point there is no return, you can still save yourself if you repent now, perhaps.

I wasn't taking part in the event. I swears it!

Day fourteen.

Seeing the wind this morning when I woke up just reminded me too much of the experience of yesterday. I went back to bed instead.

Worked in the garden, had dinner, then watched the end of LBL and finally decided to go out and do something on the bike. I had earlier gotten into my bibs and socks but then didn't have the heart to go on so actually getting myself out the door today was an achievement in itself!

Evening ride: 37.8kms. Average speed: 30.9kms per hour.

Data: http://www.strava.com/activities/134839568

Remaining to target: 1,758.5kms.

I used this one to work on my pedaling technique, focusing on the pull through and not just the downward stroke. I had cycled last Wednesday with a club mate and we were discussing that aspect of the pedal stroke and making it more complete. A great little workout with a specific purpose, distance aside.

Scored a Strava 9th, 4th and two 3rds overall too which was nice! Just you wait until I get the TT bike in operation Beasty and then your illegally gotten gains are mine (just before the Giro comes to town and too soon for you to do anything about it!!!)

Day fifteen.

No morning ride.

Evening ride: 77.8kms. Average speed 27kms per hour.

Data: http://www.strava.com/activities/135187400

PRs are coming thick and fast now and my speed is coming back quickly also. The back wheel was a bit soft today so it felt hard at times with that to get around.

Remaining to target: 1,680.7kms. I don't know why I'm even putting that last bit of info in anymore. Maybe I should change it to distance to date!

Edit: Completed to date: 1,319.3kms.

Day sixteen.

Evening ride: 69.4kms. Average speed 28.2kms per hour.

Data: http://www.strava.com/activities/135568611

Completed to date: 1,399.7kms.

I've really nothing more to say about this as the fun has gone out of it since the drowning session in Wicklow on Saturday. A challenge like this, regardless of the distance, is difficult to stay motivated at each end of the day in order to get up and out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I reckon you could make 2,000km by the end of it if you wanted to.

Raam wrote: »
    I reckon you could make 2,000km by the end of it if you wanted to.

Orwell Randonee is on Saturday. If I ride out to it and back then that will add a further 220kms, maybe slightly more. Tomorrow and Thursday, I'll aim for 100kms each day. Friday morning is available for maybe 50kms but the evening is out as the wife is back that day. That still leaves a bit more to reach 2,000 unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Well done, a good spin.

I'd pack it in tbh - you're saying you don't have the motivation and aren't enjoying it. Take a few days off, let the body absorb the training and by saturday's event you'll want to get on the bike again. It's meant to be enjoyable not another daily chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd pack it in tbh - you're saying you don't have the motivation and aren't enjoying it. Take a few days off, let the body absorb the training and by saturday's event you'll want to get on the bike again. It's meant to be enjoyable not another daily chore.
    That's loser talk.

Lumen wrote: »
    That's loser talk.

He's already lost

Nothing is lost. Sure the planning and goal setting could have been better but the only point which isn't positive is that an abstract amount of cycling which was to be compleated in an abstract amount of time may not be achieved. However the learning, training, sence of confidence, saddle time, distance covered, fitness gained, expertise earned, self knowledge gained etc etc show that this was and remains to be a very worthwhile project which will give him a large amount of benefit.
    See it through to the end and these benefits will multiply, quit now and the true end and satisfaction of pushing through to the finish line regardless of obstacles will never be met.

He's already lost

I'm not lost. I know exactly where I am.

Nothing is lost. Sure the planning and goal setting could have been better but the only point which isn't positive is that an abstract amount of cycling which was to be compleated in an abstract amount of time may not be achieved. However the learning, training, sence of confidence, saddle time, distance covered, fitness gained, expertise earned, self knowledge gained etc etc show that this was and remains to be a very worthwhile project which will give him a large amount of benefit.
    See it through to the end and these benefits will multiply, quit now and the true end and satisfaction of pushing through to the finish line regardless of obstacles will never be met.

+1 on this. I have had a level of success. It might not be the traditional "success" that the masses understand with strict regard to the OP.

Ever hear about TEFCAS, Kennyb3?

I think you know I didn't mean you failed - you set a highly unrealistic target given work etc. The lost bit was responding to a specific post. I get the idea behind it - to get back into form, which it seems you have.

As i said with my prior post, just do what's best going forward don't become a slave to this log ( I use to keep a log on the athletics forum and I use to find myself running for the sake of it just to log km's). If you aren't enjoying it, which based on your post your not, have a couple of days off and wait for the urge to get out to come back.

• Advertisement

I think you know I didn't mean you failed - you set a highly unrealistic target given work etc. The lost bit was responding to a specific post. I get the idea behind it - to get back into form, which it seems you have.

As i said with my prior post, just do what's best going forward don't become a slave to this log ( I use to keep a log on the athletics forum and I use to find myself running for the sake of it just to log km's). If you aren't enjoying it, which based on your post your not, have a couple of days off and wait for the urge to get out to come back.

I took this morning off. I have the urge again!

I took this morning off. I have the urge again!

Jez get a room you two!

Day seventeen.

Club league race 1 this evening. I was on marshal duty so I rode over, did a recce of the course, marshaled and then rode home.

Evening ride: 61.3kms. Average speed: 29.8kms per hour.

Data: http://www.strava.com/activities/135928759

Completed to date: 1,461kms.

Jez get a room you two!

The last person who did that with him ended up having twins! No thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

The past nine months has seen very little cycling for me. We had a baby and I've started a new business. Until a couple of weeks ago, I had probably cycled my bike four times since the baby was born at the end of August. Anyway, the wife and son have headed off to Poland for three weeks so I've set myself the above target.

Yesterday was the first day.

Morning ride: 31.1kms. Average speed 25.3kms/per hour.

Data: http://www.strava.com/activities/130138395

Evening ride: 73.6kms. Average speed 25.2kms per hour.

Data: http://www.strava.com/activities/130300397

Daily total: 104.7kms.
    Remaining to target: 2895.3kms.

It hurts.
    morning, your nucking futs totally & utterly nucking futs, but there is a part of me that wants to applaud what you are doing. When I go out I follow the mantra, go as hard as you can for as long as you can! I try to ensure that Im well fed & watered before I go & I bring some gel's & some cash in case I feel the knock coming.

happy trails.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    morning, your nucking futs totally & utterly nucking futs, but there is a part of me that wants to applaud what you are doing. When I go out I follow the mantra, go as hard as you can for as long as you can! I try to ensure that Im well fed & watered before I go & I bring some gel's & some cash in case I feel the knock coming.

happy trails.

Thanks! Unfortunately, the target was not reachable but I still got a lot of good kms in and some resemblance of my former self on the bike has surfaced!

I usually do the same as hard as you can for as long as you can but that wasn't possible due to my lack of conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Interesting read. Thanks! :)

Do the best you can and enjoy it.

Epic fail on my part. After the pounding I got from the weather in Wicklow last Saturday my heart just wasn't in it anymore. Too busy with work and other things to get mega distance during the second and third week tied with stiff legs from the first week all conspired against me.

The wife came home on Friday with the baby who has had an amazing amount of development while away so I skipped the Orwell Randonee to spend time with them instead.

At least I'm in much better shape than I was before I started the challenge. TT wheels have arrived so I'll try the bike out next week and hopefully do it justice and be used to it and able to do a sub one hour 40k by the time it rolls around in the club league.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Epic fail on my part. After the pounding I got from the weather in Wicklow last Saturday my heart just wasn't in it anymore. Too busy with work and other things to get mega distance during the second and third week tied with stiff legs from the first week all conspired against me.

The wife came home on Friday with the baby who has had an amazing amount of development while away so I skipped the Orwell Randonee to spend time with them instead.

At least I'm in much better shape than I was before I started the challenge. TT wheels have arrived so I'll try the bike out next week and hopefully do it justice and be used to it and able to do a sub one hour 40k by the time it rolls around in the club league.

Bull****. Plain and simple bull****.

I'm not even into cycling. Do a small bit as a cross train. Yet I have been following this since it popped up on the main page.

The amount you put into the last 3 weeks was savage. Yeah 3k was in hindsight an over reach but if you had started the log with a target of what you actually did you would be rightfully respected and applauded.

Congrats on everything. Enjoy the time with the baby. It's precious time.

• Advertisement

So finish with the stats, what did you get done, climbing too.
    Well done and enjoy the family time!

Advertisement