Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three weeks. 3,000kms.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Day ten.

The morning was horrible with the rain and I had just washed my gear after a soaking on the last five kms from the previous evening's ride so I declined the invite from myself to go out in it!

Evening ride: 101.5kms. Average speed: 29.1kms per hour.

Data: http://www.strava.com/activities/133460763

Remaining to target: 1,995.9kms.

Day eleven.

Morning ride: 35.6kms. Average speed: 24.5kms per hour.

Data: http://www.strava.com/activities/133597008

Evening ride: 65.2kms. Average speed: 27.6kms per hour.

Data: http://www.strava.com/activities/133787991

Daily total: 100.8kms.

Remaining to target: 1,895.1kms

The body is beginning to feel the effect of the effort. Tightness on the right side of my neck and a pain (almost) in my hole!

Halfway through and just under 1,200kms done. The target looks unlikely to be achieved but if I can get to within 500kms of it I will be reasonably satisfied with that. If anything, I will have whipped myself into much better shape with a view to finally getting in some racing this year and being at the business end of things.

Edit: The first day that I go out without my gilet and buff in my back pockets is the day that there is a bloody cold mist that the headwind was driving straight into me from Naul all the way home!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

try-not.jpg

After your decision, the thread, the effort, the pain and time spent so far on this you are talking about kinda getting there?
    Just get on your bike and do it. 3000km is a lot, it's far, it's hard, it's a little crazy, but it certainly not impossible!
    Yes your ass will be sore, you will probably get a pain in your shoulders and perhaps in your legs but what did you expect when you set yourself the challenge? Plan your rides, pace, climbs and rests and trust yourself to see it through.
    The only obstacle between success and failure is in your head, not your legs, ass or back. You have enough experience to push this and do it. The challange here is not against the road or the clock, it's against yourself, if you want it, it's yours! Take it and regardless of what else happens for the rest of the season you will be smiling because you will have this in the bag!

Ignore the mind, trust the plan.

Thanks Coach!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Doyler do you fancy a 120-130k spin in Wicklow on Sunday

• Advertisement

RO 06 wrote: »
    Doyler do you fancy a 120-130k spin in Wicklow on Sunday

I'm planning to repeat last Friday's spin again. I can meet you out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭ian_rush

Best of luck, great achievement if you can pull it off. (Bishop, actress etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Have you noticed any major weight loss since you started?

Have you noticed any major weight loss since you started?

If the skinny fecker lost any weight he would blow off the bike

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

An interesting read. Hope you do it. It's some distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If the skinny fecker lost any weight he would blow off the bike

He's defo been putting the pies away during his layoff! at least by his standards!

Ignore the mind, trust the plan.

The only problem with the plan is the maths and how to fit what's left to do into what's left to do it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Only one thing for it: 24 hour cycle. Twice. Repeated 3 times.

Day twelve is a rest day. The legs need it to prepare for what I plan to be a BIG weekend of cycling. It gives me a chance to get some stuff done around the home too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Day twelve is a rest day. The legs need it to prepare for what I plan to be a BIG weekend of cycling. It gives me a chance to get some stuff done around the home too.

You have set yourself some target. Not sure it's the most beneficial way to train but 10/10 for setting yourself a real challenge.

Decent mileage from near scratch whether you get there or not

Get all them dishes and saucepans out of the sink and do the painting you told mrs Doyle you would have done for her coming home.

Get all them dishes and saucepans out of the sink and do the painting you told mrs Doyle you would have done for her coming home.

Kitchen is clean. Grass cut and garden half weeded. What i could achieve if i didn't cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

You could try and get out for a few longer rides with someone else? Not sure of that's your style but it usually makes things that bit easier to get in longer distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Keep up the good work @luskdoyle and some great encouragement from @thebouldwhacker great post on the previous page. Following this closely as I've a charity event in May 430km over two days and it's similar long distance and morning/evening spins I've been using for training

Well done

Day thirteen.

Simply horrible. Wind all the way into me as far as Sutton. Wind all the way into me and across me up the Sally Gap. Sideways hail all the way into me down from the Sally Gap via Glenmacneas waterfall until near the bottom when it was just torential rain straight down. I had intended on getting up to the Shay Elliot to cheer the lads on but it was just too awful out there and I was really suffering from not having adequate clothes for the weather. Had to call for rescue from Laragh as I would never have made it back home and not gotten sick as a result.

I'm extremely disappointed with how it turned out today as I was looking for a 250kms + ride and the body felt great after the previous rest day. Oh well, nothing else for it only beer!

Morning ride: 98.8kms. Average speed: 24.2kms per hour.

Data: http://www.strava.com/activities/134355515

Remaining to target: 1,796.3kms.

• Advertisement

You could try and get out for a few longer rides with someone else? Not sure of that's your style but it usually makes things that bit easier to get in longer distance.

It's not being alone and not having the will to do longer spins that is holding me back. It's just finding the time to do it what with work and what I have to do at home also.

I prefer to generally cycle alone as I can do my own thing and push when I want to and take it easy when I want to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fair play for making it over the Sally gap today at all, I had planned on heading out to Laragh after the boards spin, but turned off after the featherbeds to Glencree and found the wind over the featherbeds plenty tough. Not the day for it, better luck tomorrow.

smacl wrote: »
    Fair play for making it over the Sally gap today at all, I had planned on heading out to Laragh after the boards spin, but turned off after the featherbeds to Glencree and found the wind over the featherbeds plenty tough. Not the day for it, better luck tomorrow.

The boards buff from a few years back helped. My whole body was freezing except for my ears and head under that! The funny thing was that I was belting past the WAR participants up and down the roads there today. I'm no great descender but it was like some of them were barely moving at all. That was the highlight of the day for me!

Day thirteen.

Simply horrible. Wind all the way into me as far as Sutton. Wind all the way into me and across me up the Sally Gap. Sideways hail all the way into me down from the Sally Gap via Glenmacneas waterfall until near the bottom when it was just torential rain straight down. I had intended on getting up to the Shay Elliot to cheer the lads on but it was just too awful out there and I was really suffering from not having adequate clothes for the weather. Had to call for rescue from Laragh as I would never have made it back home and not gotten sick as a result.

I'm extremely disappointed with how it turned out today as I was looking for a 250kms + ride and the body felt great after the previous rest day. Oh well, nothing else for it only beer!

Morning ride: 98.8kms. Average speed: 24.2kms per hour.

Remaining to target: 1,796.3kms.

That makes it you and your sister-in-law who both had to be bailed out from deepest darkest Wicklow by the old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Would it not make sense at this stage to get back on track to 100km/day and see how it goes? 2100km in three weeks is still a hell of distance given your lack of preparation.

Raam wrote: »
    That makes it you and your sister-in-law who both had to be bailed out from deepest darkest Wicklow by the old man.

It wasn't the old man!

Lumen wrote: »
    Would it not make sense at this stage to get back on track to 100km/day and see how it goes? 2100km in three weeks is still a hell of distance given your lack of preparation.

Probably but I've never been one to heed advice or wisdom from the village elders. Ask Raam. I know that I won't maks the 3,000. It's not physically possible and I've no intention of riding myself into the ground in order to get there. 3,000 was literally a number that I picked out of the air that tied in with 3 weeks and has a nice ring to it. The main thing was getting a nice base of mileage to be the platform from which I can:

A. Do the randonee next Saturday in good time.
    B. Be set up for the club league which starts next week.
    C. Have a good base for my visit to Italy in July.
    D. Target a result in an open race mid summer.

I'll just keep spinning away and see what I get done in the allotted time.

I think that you should be more headstrong with your refusal to take advice from others.

Raam wrote: »
    I think that you should be more headstrong with your refusal to take advice from others.

OK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

You think about doing the Giro Stage 3 with the lads from the club tomorrow? Would help you chip a nice chunk out of the distance and with some company. Say you b*ll*xed after that effort today though.

Advertisement