Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equestrian chit chat

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'd love to go hunting, never been. You could go hunting here but it would be more of a swim through mud than hunting... Plus, since we don't have many places open to us, they add in obstacles and I don't think any pony I ride would be too happy about jumping car bonnets...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I agree that a novice (not only a child, mind you) needs a "nanny." My cob is as safe as houses to hunt, but there's always a possibility of an accident. My friend's daughter hunted him last year and I paid cap and diesel for a friend to nanny her for the day-only fair I think, as the "nanny's" day was restricted.(Damn expensive day for me though)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

sup_dude wrote: »
    I'd love to go hunting, never been. You could go hunting here but it would be more of a swim through mud than hunting... Plus, since we don't have many places open to us, they add in obstacles and I don't think any pony I ride would be too happy about jumping car bonnets...

Who's your local hunt?? Id have a crack at jumping a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

They seem to do a good bit of bonnet jumping in Longford Galway too.

I'd say they would definitely have tried in wexford too

Donegal Harriers :) There's only one horse at the yard I'm at that would have a chance of making it, but he's nothing to do with me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Jumping a car , to me, is just plain silly. Both horse and rider could get badly hurt. I know it was part of the Athlacca ride this year, but I would not allow any horse of mine to be put at such risk.

Jumping a car , to me, is just plain silly. Both horse and rider could get badly hurt. I know it was part of the Athlacca ride this year, but I would not allow any horse of mine to be put at such risk.

I think they get the idea from badminton the 2 mutibushi jeeps pushed back to back.
    HOWEVER there is a major difference between the calibre of horses jumping the car n the jeep!

But yes I know I wouldn't risk jumping a rusty car

Depends on what you have underneath you i suppose..... Would you put at a hedge that could possibly have wire in it?? Isnt it the risk that gives you tge buzz out hunting??

Depends on what you have underneath you i suppose..... Would you put at a hedge that could possibly have wire in it?? Isnt it the risk that gives you tge buzz out hunting??

Ah possibly it's the risk of getting left behind!
    Ah its a tough one.

I hunted for years over different country but now there are various reasons I would not go back to it.

Looking back I'd say god was I mad.? But glad I did it in the same breath!

Depends on the circumstances at the time and the horses I had.
    But now I have strict time to spend with horses back then I had hours n hours.

Jumped a little 13.2hh Appy x Connemara yesterday. Got up as far as cross poles on the top pole (wasn't bothered explaining a verticle to the person on the ground) so got as far as about 1.10m. He was flying! Gutted I didn't get a picture of it, especially considering the last competition we at, we were only jumping 60cm. He's going to be thrown out to the field now until Christmas with no one to ride him, at which stage I'll have to start all over again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Come across all sorts, some are fine, some are stupidly long, but I don't mind that, no matter how long a donkeys feet are, one trim is usually enough to get them back right again.

My problem is the vast majority are horrendously ignorant uncooperative screwballs.

Most of the time they're not handled except for farrier visits, so they don't take to kindly to having to stand still and have their feet done.

Plus, they're too shagging small.

Just reading through this thread for the first time, "horrendously ignorant uncooperative screwballs" - fantastic!! Seriously TheFarrier please consider some sort of day to day Farrier blog on the side - I always enjoy your posts - they're informative and entertaining!!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Studying for exams at the moment so the horse is yard-bound at the moment, no competitions etc til after the 15th. All this talk of hunting above is killing me - going to try and get him out to one or two this year as I've never been.

Could anyone recommend a good verrrrry novice hunt that you don't need to be a member of in the south Dublin/North Wicklow/ North Kildare area? I'm not that fussy about avoiding jumps etc I just would prefer something that's not too long and not too manic.

Other than that, lots of schooling as a form of procrastination recently; I think he's sick of the sight of me. Managed to crack shoulder-in this week and I've been smiling nearly enough to split my face in half - little achievements go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Just reading through this thread for the first time, "horrendously ignorant uncooperative screwballs" - fantastic!! Seriously TheFarrier please consider some sort of day to day Farrier blog on the side - I always enjoy your posts - they're informative and entertaining!!

Ha thanks.

I started a general farriery thread on here a while back, it tipped away nicely for a few pages but died off then. Might have a go at kick starting it again if there's an interest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

They're not a hunt, but the North Kildare Farmers do a run every Sunday. It's organized by Abbeyfield in Clane, Co. Kildare.

https://www.facebook.com/northkildare.farmers

convert wrote: »
    They're not a hunt, but the North Kildare Farmers do a run every Sunday. It's organized by Abbeyfield in Clane, Co. Kildare.

https://www.facebook.com/northkildare.farmers

same crowd i go with

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Many going to cavan next weekend? My 2 here cant wait! Early rise sunday morning as our first class is at 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

Started taking my mare out on the road the past few days. She's been an angel apart from the fact she gets really excited when she sees any horse in a field. It also doesn't help when they start running...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Odelay

Had our first day out today after a long spell off due to lameness at Boulta with the West Waterford Hunt. Fantastic day, mare made me look good! Jumped everything I asked, bbq after went down well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Been sick with flu since mid last week, haven't ridden my mare since last Wednesday :( Thankfully there are some great people at my yard who have kept her going for me, but I just feel so restless not being able to ride! Have been up to see her a few times and could swear she's looking at me as if to say 'who the hell are you? Oh, CARROTS!!' :D

We have a showjumping league coming up soon so need to get her working again, she hasn't been working very hard the last 2 weeks!

It's great she's been working anyhow.
    Totally clueless here but it seems my little fat cob is rumoured to be sired by Blue Champion (ID) Now, he's the head of him , only a hand smaller and 3 hands wider (!) but how do I go about getting him "tested" to see if this is true?

• Advertisement

It's great she's been working anyhow.
    Totally clueless here but it seems my little fat cob is rumoured to be sired by Blue Champion (ID) Now, he's the head of him , only a hand smaller and 3 hands wider (!) but how do I go about getting him "tested" to see if this is true?

You can get a DNA kit from weatherbys.
    The vet has to do all the paperwork get a hair sample and put it in a special bag.

It' could have changed since I remember getting it done yrs ago when a yearling I had didn't have passport.

However others may have more info for you.

Does anyone else feel lost without a horse on a regular basis? Going through a stressful time (last year in college, FYP not going well, no grant yet) and although I'm doing an equine based course and get to ride once a week, I'm genuinely feeling a bit empty without being able to hop up on a pony and go for a good canter on the beach, or go for a hack bareback... I'm finding myself pining after the little 13.2hh Appy X Connemara at home who I was riding all summer and considering just going home to get on him some weekend... but he hasn't been rode since summer and he's the type of pony who, once he gets a break, you have to start his training at square one again. During the summer, it took me right up to the very last time I rode him to get a full training where he was going properly again. Pity I can't take him to Limerick with me and hop on him to get to classes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

@sup_dude I feel your pain every weekday that I cant hang out with my horses. My sisters constant updates and pictures are supposed to make me feel happy but they just make me very jealous.

It does mean that when I do get to ride I really appreciate it. It also means I tend to do a lot more than I should after being off for a few weeks(My dad and sister keep my horse fit but I tend to not keep so fit) ie I dont ride for a month and then go on a 5 hour hunt or do an ODE.

Would love to get a horse in Dublin but I just cannot afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

I get a little cranky if I'm not around my guy for more than a day or two

Hoping to go jumping sunday, first time SJing since March-ish, bricking it!!!

elusiveguy wrote: »
    I get a little cranky if I'm not around my guy for more than a day or two

Hoping to go jumping sunday, first time SJing since March-ish, bricking it!!!

Good luck! And enjoy the adrenaline rush you get from jumping after so long off!

Advertisement