Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equestrian chit chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

TheFarrier wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in, if you don't mind my asking??

Kenmare area in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

isaos wrote: »
    Kenmare area in Kerry

I suppose your farrier isn't Eamonn H. by any chance??

TheFarrier wrote: »
    I suppose your farrier isn't Eamonn H. by any chance??

He is indeed... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

isaos wrote: »
    He is indeed... :)

Wouldn't expect him to complain about donkeys, and he working for the donkey sanctuary!!

he doesn't complain, really! just says that it can be hard on the back as they are small.. just like you said! Now, Eamon is always happy to help people like me with one or two ponies, not that easy to find, as usually big stables are main priorities and we small owners come last if ever... and he is very good at his job :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

First day on new yard went well :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Full livery?

Full livery?

No, no, a job :)
    Last one didn't really work out too well

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

Going for a lesson at Rathfarnham equestrian center this week to try and get myself saddle fit again!
    Does anyone have any experience with them? It is my first time going there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

emma-fly wrote: »
    Going for a lesson at Rathfarnham equestrian center this week to try and get myself saddle fit again!

That's where I ride! Also where I'll be keeping my horse! Horses and Instructors are brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Great place by all accounts... hired their indoor not so long ago.. Owner & staff are very friendly & its very well run...

On another note if anyone knows of a decent 128 pony for sale let me know... Pony hunting is WAY tougher that horse hunting! ;)

emma-fly wrote: »

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The good 'uns get passed around through pony club circles and don't get to the open market often. Is it an all-rounder you are looking for?

If it was a while ago, I would have known the perfect little pony... he was awesome. We had no riders for him but I used to hop on his back and trot up the field with nothing on him to the gate (which had a bank just before it). I was the first person to back him about 3 years ago (I'm tall but light) and he didn't even flinch. In fact, I didn't even know he wasn't broken until I was sitting on him and was told. We sold him to someone who then outgrew him and bought him back. Now he belongs to a little four year old girl who takes him out hacking and everything! If he ever comes back (don't think so, the little girl loves him), and you're still looking, I'll let you know :)

On another note, had a bareback lunge lesson yesterday. My knees are quite sore today :o

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

Had a lesson with Gina at Rathfarnham equestrian! Really enjoyed it and I came away feeling alot better about my jumping!
    Doing a group lesson on Tuesday! I cant wait....

Bareback lunge???Masochist!! My boyo, though round everywhere else, has a high withers. I'd be singing falsetto on the bareback lunge -and I'm a woman!

Bareback lunge???Masochist!! My boyo, though round everywhere else, has a high withers. I'd be singing falsetto on the bareback lunge -and I'm a woman!

I would highly recommend it! Tried sitting trot on a bouncy horse today with a saddle and I didn't budge :D Can't wait for the next one! Though, the horse I was on apparently never had someone do around the world whilst moving so kept stopping once my leg went over...so I had to sit backwards for a while. It was just in walk but it felt so different to front facing.

Nice that the horse was looking after you and not trying to get you off, good sign of their nature, I'd say.

Yeah, it was an experienced enough horse and had done around the worlds before, just at halt so once I moved, figured it had to stop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Odelay

Seen Bucas Buzz Off fly rug today, not sure what the neighbours would think if I let her out with it on?? Any of you tried it? Aperantly flies aren't keen on the zebra stripes, is it a gimmick?

Not sure if this link will work, it keeps pasting in twice.
    http://www.saddlesandstyle.ie/shop/fly-sheets/bucas-buzz-zebra-full-neck/

For sweet itch??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Odelay

For sweet itch??

No, they (the salledry shop) could order different/special rugs for sweet itch, dont know if they work, hope they do as it's a feckin curse for horse and owner. Has anyone experience of them?

The zebra fly rug is just to discourage flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭TinaOT

Our pony suffers from sweet itch - we tried the zebra rug & yes it deterred files & gave good coverage - full hood, under belly etc but my god every other horse in the yard hated it & went wild when they were turned out - they just couldn't figure it out at all! Also rips easy enough if they are a scratcher

Have you tried the vaccination?

I found this link while googling Sweet Itch Vaccine: It gives tips and advices that you might find usefull.

http://www.lakeviewvets.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76:sweet-itch&catid=38:equine-info&Itemid=67

"Coat the susceptible areas of the horse with an oil or greases. Midges dislike contact with a film of oil and they will tend to avoid it. Oils such as citronella oil, garlic oil and tea tree oils can be helpful to provide barrier protection against the biting midges"

I might try that. It seems the vaccine is only 50% efficient.

Good luck !

First fall in nearly three years today...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

sup_dude wrote: »

Not nice hope it wasn't to painfull.

Are you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

sup_dude wrote: »

Hope you're OK supdude. I'm due a fall after a long while having no fall, and I'm dreading it!

Perfect, just a few scrapes on my back where I landed on the boulder/gravel, and on my tummy where the horse trotted over me to go eat grass :rolleyes:

It was one of those falls that you aren't entirely sure how you ended up on the ground... one minute I was up in the air (she took off and started bucking as soon as I swung my leg over so no stirrups nor reins), next thing I know I'm underneath her with my arms around her neck... no memory of grabbing her neck or swinging under her :p I really should have been able to sit it out

Ah Yeah, falling is the easy bit, the landing is what you should dread :D No seriously though, if I began to dread falling, I'd throw myself off to remind me it usually doesn't really hurt...

It reminds me of last year, all sunny and buttercups everywhere.. I hadn't ridden mine for a good while, just saddled and went.. downhill through the field.... Not a thing to do.. Next thing he went bucking (joy of being ridden in such a gorgeous day), I went for a fly and a land in the buttercups, bridle went flying too. He went back grazing, unphased, with the saddle turned on the side of his (very round) belly.
    Oh well..

• Advertisement

Anyone going to the riding club Horse Trials in Lisgarvan (Ballon, Co Carlow) this weekend?

Advertisement