Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equestrian chit chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Odelay

Went to camphire horse trials on Sunday, fantastic day out. Standard was astonishing, easy to get around, standing on the hill you could often see three horses jumping at once. €10 for parking well spent and I think a fair percentage of it goes to the local community.

Looking forward to seeing some videos of it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Was at Kilmac show over the weekend - definately ran smoother as they split the busier classes over two rings.. Format of one of the kids classes were a bit confusing though - in first ridden kids didn't even trot as a group.. As usual though really enjoyed it but numbers of competitors/spectators well down on previous years, possibly to do with Tatts on the same weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

How is everyone enjoying the Horse Show so far (for those of you that went)? I managed to get a great haul at TRI and Holmestead!

Still don't have enough things though :o Can anyone recommend a good coat whitening shampoo? Need one for my filthy grey!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    How is everyone enjoying the Horse Show so far (for those of you that went)? I managed to get a great haul at TRI and Holmestead!

Still don't have enough things though :o Can anyone recommend a good coat whitening shampoo? Need one for my filthy grey!

Ah there were so many bargains at it this year, even for a Saturday... Really wanted those hats that everyone was wearing. They were about 40euro but I know someone who has had one for years and they're brilliant. There was a pair of boots in Holmestead I wanted too for 60euro but I just bought a pair of boots a few weeks ago that I haven't worn yet :(

Erm, in terms of stains, not really. Quic Silver I found great though, just for bringing out their whiteness. We had a little Welsh pony that was going to a show and the owner wanted us to get it ready. We washed her with fairy liquid, then that stuff and then went crazy with baby powder and chalk for the stains :D She was sparkling white, we didn't want to put her back into her stable in case the sawdust left a mark!

sup_dude wrote: »
    Ah there were so many bargains at it this year, even for a Saturday... Really wanted those hats that everyone was wearing. They were about 40euro but I know someone who has had one for years and they're brilliant. There was a pair of boots in Holmestead I wanted too for 60euro but I just bought a pair of boots a few weeks ago that I haven't worn yet :(

Erm, in terms of stains, not really. Quic Silver I found great though, just for bringing out their whiteness. We had a little Welsh pony that was going to a show and the owner wanted us to get it ready. We washed her with fairy liquid, then that stuff and then went crazy with baby powder and chalk for the stains :D She was sparkling white, we didn't want to put her back into her stable in case the sawdust left a mark!

Yeah,I managed to get a cooler rug, fetlock boots, two numnahs, a leather headcollar and a new girth for €130! So happy :)

I've heard great things about the spot/stain remover and whitening spray, but have yet to find a good shampoo. I usually use the Aldi Tea Tree Shampoo which does a great job, but not sure if there's anything better out there. Especially for her tail!

Marley123, you have a coloured mare, any tips? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

We've found that the blue coloured fairy liquid is better than any shampoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I've had someone interested in my pony…. thing is they are looking to take her on a 6 week loan to see will the daughter stay interested. what would your views on this be???

I've had someone interested in my pony…. thing is they are looking to take her on a 6 week loan to see will the daughter stay interested. what would your views on this be???

I have always been in the camp of loan in current yard or no loan at all. Too risky.

I have always been in the camp of loan in current yard or no loan at all. Too risky.

There happy to let us view the facilities etc. they want a 5 week loan tho... Worried it coincides with kids back to school

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I've seen (and experienced) too many horror stories to allow a horse or pony go out on loan. Anyone interested can come and ride them in my yard as often as they like, or try them out at a competition with me there, but nothing else. Ah-Yeah's idea re. a trial in the current yard is probably a good idea.

• Advertisement

There happy to let us view the facilities etc. they want a 5 week loan tho... Worried it coincides with kids back to school

Regardless of facilities, you don't know what the 'caregiver' will be like. My horse could be loaned to a 5 star eventing yard, and the rider could pull him in the mouth, give him girth galls or leave him with stone bruises from not picking out his feet. They could also not muck out his stable enough, or provide him with adequate care.

I'd be really wary of loans of that length and away from home.

Regardless of facilities, you don't know what the 'caregiver' will be like. My horse could be loaned to a 5 star eventing yard, and the rider could pull him in the mouth, give him girth galls or leave him with stone bruises from not picking out his feet. They could also not muck out his stable enough, or provide him with adequate care.

I'd be really wary of loans of that length and away from home.

Apparently the mother rides too. They are speaking of giving a deposit on her. I have had horses on loan before but that was with people who knew me well. The thing is this is only the second interested person in the pony and i havent the room for her over next winter as we have lost some of our grazing

Apparently the mother rides too. They are speaking of giving a deposit on her. I have had horses on loan before but that was with people who knew me well. The thing is this is only the second interested person in the pony and i havent the room for her over next winter as we have lost some of our grazing

It's really up to you tbh - a quick search on this forum will show you that the camps are well and truly divided on this topic - but I personally wouldn't be giving a lengthy trial away from my own yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Yep me too there's load's of people who could ruin a horse
    But isn't this the pony who you are not looking for much money for?
    if it were me and small money I'd take the chance
    I know you would like the best for the pony but no I would not do it anyway.
    They might be genuine or they might want a pony for a few weeks and hand back

I'd be more willing to loan my pony to a reputable riding school than a stranger, they are more accountable and you can tell by visiting and seeing the condition of existing RS ponies how they treat their animals.

It may be an option for the winter. The likes of Calliaghstown and Brennanstown are always on the lookout for good solid RS ponies, if your pony is good enough

I would be very dubious on giving a trial for such a length of time.... We are pony hunting at the moment & going to see one tomorrow. Trial period is out of the question but seller has said that he will take the pony to a SJ venue, XC Venue etc so we can see the pony in lots of different environments.

marley123 wrote: »
    I would be very dubious on giving a trial for such a length of time.... We are pony hunting at the moment & going to see one tomorrow. Trial period is out of the question but seller has said that he will take the pony to a SJ venue, XC Venue etc so we can see the pony in lots of different environments.

Its just beginning to look too weird… she's now looking to loan the pony for two months "to see if it works out".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Its just beginning to look too weird… she's now looking to loan the pony for two months "to see if it works out".

Sounds like someone who wants a pony to tide them over and hand back after 2 months

Put a price to the loan and see them run off.

Tell her simply that the pony is for sale, not for loan. By loaning the pony out for 8 weeks to someone who may or may not buy, you are running the risk of missing out on a genuine buyer in those 8 weeks. If the pony doesn't work out she can sell it, like anyone who buys a horse.

Tell her she can loan it at your yard, and that you'll bring it to shows, but the pony does not leave the yard.

That's what I would do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

I'd never loan a horse out. too much can go wrong. i'd happily box a person anywhere to try it at venues, or let them ride it at my yard. but i'd never trust lending it out on trial. Girl at our yard had a 5 month trial and then handed horse back at the end due to an injury it got. madness!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My daughter jumped her first 1m course in a lesson on the new pony last night, to say I'm relieved is an understatement!!!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    My daughter jumped her first 1m course in a lesson on the new pony last night, to say I'm relieved is an understatement!!!!

Hedges next :D

Hedges next :D

ha ha, no thanks! No hunting for my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I love teaching kids with zero common sense...
    "Don't run behind the horse"
    "Okay" *runs behind horse anyway*
    "Stop, seriously, he will kick you"
    *Yeah, you said" *starts jumping behind horse and then runs up behind him again*
    "I said stop running!"
    "I'm not running, I'm jogging. You're so vague about stuff"

Ugggghhhhh! :mad:

Best education any rider can get in my opinion!! After a couple of seasons hunting i was fearless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Odelay

If hunting foxes isn't your thing try a drag hunt, but beware, you're not supposed to cross-dress:mad:

I know all about hunting, I've hunted with the local drag hunt here and another one for a few years. My two nephews and niece (21, 19 & 16) haven't missed a Sunday in about 4 years! I don't ride anymore so am not letting an 8 &.11 year old off with them unless I'm going!!!

My youngest had an awful close one Sunday night when he pony slipped and fell on top of her. We initially thought her leg was broke in a few places but after a night in A&E all's not as bad as first feared but she won't be riding for a while. Very simple thing happen and nobody's fault but could have been a lot worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I don't ride anymore so am not letting an 8 &.11 year old off with them unless I'm going!!!

I love to see kids out hunting, and it's great seeing the smiles on their faces at the end of the day, but it really surprises me the number of parents who leave their young kids out on their own and then disappear off, expecting those out hunting to look after them, and then come back at the end of the day to collect them (specific children's meets aside, obviously). I think you're being completely responsible with that outlook, but maybe when they get a little older they could go out with your nieces and nephew, if you think they'd be ok with keeping an eye on their little cousins!
    My youngest had an awful close one Sunday night when he pony slipped and fell on top of her. We initially thought her leg was broke in a few places but after a night in A&E all's not as bad as first feared but she won't be riding for a while. Very simple thing happen and nobody's fault but could have been a lot worse.

That's such a nasty shock when something like that happens. Thankfully it's not broken, but even the bruising that can happen from something small can be quite painful. I got a fall about 20 months ago where the horse stood on my leg (just on the shinbone where the stirrup leather crosses). Thankfully it wasn't too bad, but the leg swelled up to at least 2-3 times its normal size, and even still there's a bruise/mark on the leg where the impact happened. Unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of not being able to ride, but thankfully your little one isn't in that position, so she'll be able to let it heal well before she has to ride again.

On a plus side (from her point of view) at least this happened at the end of the summer so she didn't miss any riding time during the holidays! :D

Hope your daughter will be ok... hunting isn't for everyone.. I do personally NOT have the nerve for it at all..however my youngest @ 7 went hunting off the lead rein earlier in the year but had a nanny rider with her.... she really loved it
    I know all about hunting, I've hunted with the local drag hunt here and another one for a few years. My two nephews and niece (21, 19 & 16) haven't missed a Sunday in about 4 years! I don't ride anymore so am not letting an 8 &.11 year old off with them unless I'm going!!!

• Advertisement

convert wrote: »
    I love to see kids out hunting, and it's great seeing the smiles on their faces at the end of the day, but it really surprises me the number of parents who leave their young kids out on their own and then disappear off, expecting those out hunting to look after them, and then come back at the end of the day to collect them (specific children's meets aside, obviously). I think you're being completely responsible with that outlook, but maybe when they get a little older they could go out with your nieces and nephew, if you think they'd be ok with keeping an eye on their little cousins!

I was brought when i was 11 and dad followed by car. I hunted (drag) with the North Kildare Farmers as a kid. Some excellent helpful adults stay at the back to help smaller children or unruly ponies along. There was always the mentality that nobody was left behind. Then as we got older we would jump on a bold pony to get it across a drain for the smaller kids etc.

Advertisement