Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equestrian chit chat

Options
  • 12-04-2014 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭

May I propose an equestrian chit chat thread? Most other forums have one.

What did you get up to recently?

I had a long hack today, pulled her mane (did a super job on it:-)) and thinking about spraying weeds in the spare paddock tomorrow. Happy that she is out on grass now enjoying spring.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

We get one every couple of months, they jusft don't last long unfortunately. Relatively quiet forum but I must say, it's picking up again :)
    Anyways, I'm on a break from horses for a week or so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Had a great day with my mare today :) We did a mock dressage test for fun and she did quite well! :D Then we went into the fields for a gallop and let off some steam.

Last summer I pulled her mane but she seems to be allergic to bites as she swells up so I'm going to leave her mane as it is for now so she has the extra protection. Yesterday was warmer than today and I had to spray her with some fly repellent as she was being bothered.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My cob was out xc today with my godchild up. He went from normally placid to channelling a TB stallion in about twenty seconds. Spring has arrived!! He is getting his first wash of the year tomorrow, could be hairy in more ways than one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Rode on Friday for the first real schooling session in 3 years. Have sat up a few times to get the feel of horses but def had not jumped . 10 years since I last rode a competition.
    And today I rode a novice HTs. I had a ball. Horse was great. He improved over each fence and never put a foot wrong.
    I'm still buzzing. There is nothing better than getting a good spin out of a newbie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭Odelay

Great to hear so much good news.

Took my mare out for a schooling over hunter trial course with a friend and her mare. It was my first time doing a full/proper course of jumps since I was sixteen.......20 years ago! Absouletly delighted with the mare, she made me look good:D She didnt put a foot wrong, I know I have a lot to learn and she is starting to listen to my voice, still on a high and smiling.

Fantastic day out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Have never posted in the Equestrian forum before but I bought a new 6 yr old gelding this week by Guidam and a Clover Hill mare:D

Unfortunately he lost condition with his last owners over winter so he's on the skinny side but it's nice to see him happy in his stall and bringing him out on the rein to pick at grass in the fields here.

Best of luck with him ,Kovu, has he done much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Best of luck with him ,Kovu, has he done much?

Hunted and showjumped, he has a great jump I'm told but he needs major work on his fluency over them as he's liable to arch and throw you off balance.
    The little (well not so little 16.1) devil also knows how to open gates and doors with his mouth.

.Kovu. wrote: »
    Hunted and showjumped, he has a great jump I'm told but he needs major work on his fluency over them as he's liable to arch and throw you off balance.
    The little (well not so little 16.1) devil also knows how to open gates and doors with his mouth.

Well at least it shows he is intelligent :-)

• Advertisement

I have one of the gate-openers, but as I have problems with my legs and can't mount/dismount unaided, it means I can get out of the arena myself! The opening of lead ropes when tied up is a total pain in the proverbial, though!!!
    My tip for you all i Magnum (aldi) wash-up liquid for tail washing,beats blue shampoo hands down! (Don't use it on the tail root or coat, though and only when the tail is really bad, not too often as it might be drying)

I have one of the gate-openers, but as I have problems with my legs and can't mount/dismount unaided, it means I can get out of the arena myself! The opening of lead ropes when tied up is a total pain in the proverbial, though!!!
    My tip for you all i Magnum (aldi) wash-up liquid for tail washing,beats blue shampoo hands down! (Don't use it on the tail root or coat, though and only when the tail is really bad, not too often as it might be drying)
    I'll try that, washed her tail last week but didn't get it all out. her tail does get very messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Flat out with show jumpers at the minute, and for the foreseeable future. Easier work than shoeing hunters but I'm sick to the back teeth drilling stud holes.

Anyone heading to the AIRC festival?Can't believe it's getting to that time already!

Out on a quiet hack today... got to a certain point where it was quite busy so there were 3 ponies that started galloping around their field behind my horse, a young child playing throwing a ball around with their dog on the right, a lawnmower on the left and a chainsaw up ahead. A car came down and very nicely pulled in for me. Unfortunately, my horse was dancing a bit, wanting to get back to the other ponies and not wanting to pass the chainsaw (the guy with the chainsaw was in the bushes, letting the branches fall on the road where his son stood) so the poor man in the car had to wait. I asked the son if he could ask the father to stop cutting just until I get past as the horse would usually be fine around chainsaws but the branches randomly falling in front of him could cause problems and I didn't want to be holding up the car waiting for long. However, the son replied with "no, just keep going",despite the fact the horse was still dancing and spinning round. Eventually got the horse past all, but not too impressed with the ignorance...

:mad::mad::mad::mad:People have become removed from rural backgrounds and think animals don't matter

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

From the Kingdom of Kerry ;)

Woody the X Connemara and Precious the pure Connemara are driving me nuts, getting fatter just by looking at the growing grass from a distance... So every second day sees me moving electric tapes and stakes to build mini fields out of a solid 5 acres.. :o

But I wish I had Googles glasses to take instant pictures of the delightful scenery, of the dog and the 2 cats playing around and running after the white tape, of the 2 hens walking between the horses' legs, of the hare that came running in the middle of all that and stood for a while right in front of me, and of the pheasant flying just over us.
    Even a passing shower didn't spoil the moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Was a mad weekend for us! My youngest daughter did her first hunter trials @ Kilruddery & then did WH Equifest qualifiers on monday... very proud!! Was youngest competitor by 2 yrs at both events.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

I finally have a weekend to go home and ride out! The horses have been off since January as the hunting had them worn out, Especially this year because the going was so heavy all the time. Going to try and ride out our new project gelding also, he is 4 and acts it! Very pretty though.....

Well done to yours marley, sounds like a great day out:-)
    Emma, best of luck with that young horse!.

• Advertisement

@supdude I'm so flippin lucky here, quite roads and the only worry was the milk truck, when he comes clattering along, he stops the truck and turns off the engine! I'd have been happy if he just slowed but so nice of him to stop. Great to have proper animal people around.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:People have become removed from rural backgrounds and think animals don't matter

Definitely!
    Odelay wrote: »
    @supdude I'm so flippin lucky here, quite roads and the only worry was the milk truck, when he comes clattering along, he stops the truck and turns off the engine! I'd have been happy if he just slowed but so nice of him to stop. Great to have proper animal people around.

It usually is quiet except when crossing the main road and maybe the odd tractor. I was lucky in that the horse is usually very laid back. I was going to take a spookier horse out first, but thankfully I didn't as I may have ended up going over the bay :D
    I love when people stop though.

Bad day. I feckin hate trimming donkeys

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Bad day. I feckin hate trimming donkeys

Why so? Out of interest are they normally in good condition or left too long? I have seen some in the arran islands years ago, just left roaming, hooves were shocking. Think they are better cared for now.

Odelay wrote: »
    Why so? Out of interest are they normally in good condition or left too long? I have seen some in the arran islands years ago, just left roaming, hooves were shocking. Think they are better cared for now.

Come across all sorts, some are fine, some are stupidly long, but I don't mind that, no matter how long a donkeys feet are, one trim is usually enough to get them back right again.

My problem is the vast majority are horrendously ignorant uncooperative screwballs.

Most of the time they're not handled except for farrier visits, so they don't take to kindly to having to stand still and have their feet done.

Plus, they're too shagging small.

Bugger, the mare is lame, hind leg swollen up. Have her with a friend that got me back into horses, yesterday she said she was lame with swollen hind, she hosed it many times. I couldn't visit as stinking car is in for a new altenator. I was working today and friend said she wasn't lame anymore but still swollen. Phoned the vet and told this info. Visited her after work, horse is swollen and lame:-(
    36 hrs lame, time for the vet in morning . sickened im couldn't be see her before, would have called the vet immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Come across all sorts, some are fine, some are stupidly long, but I don't mind that, no matter how long a donkeys feet are, one trim is usually enough to get them back right again.

My problem is the vast majority are horrendously ignorant uncooperative screwballs.

Most of the time they're not handled except for farrier visits, so they don't take to kindly to having to stand still and have their feet done.

Plus, they're too shagging small.

Why do I have the feeling I know you... You sound exactly like my own favourite farrier :confused::)

isaos wrote: »
    Why do I have the feeling I know you... You sound exactly like my own favourite farrier :confused::)

What part of the country are you in, if you don't mind my asking??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

This is very exciting! Glad to see the thread maintained momentum.

I am very excited to be on the hunt (pardon the pun) for my first horse on loan :D I've always ridden horses for other people, or had shares, but this will be my first full time equine :) Taking a step toward ownership, so hopefully I will be able to manage both the time and financial commitments.

The search begins!

• Advertisement

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    This is very exciting! Glad to see the thread maintained momentum.

I am very excited to be on the hunt (pardon the pun) for my first horse on loan :D I've always ridden horses for other people, or had shares, but this will be my first full time equine :) Taking a step toward ownership, so hopefully I will be able to manage both the time and financial commitments.

The search begins!

Best of luck and let us know how it goes:-)

Advertisement