Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4; Episode 2: 'The Lion and the Rose'; *Have NOT* Read the Books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

"Looks like we got ourselves a reader"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Don't really understand what someone who has read the books is getting out of posting practical spoilers in a thread for non-book readers? What exactly does anyone get out of 'predicting' what's going to happen when you already know for certain? And it's pretty sh*tty to ruin it for everyone else just cos you want the satisfaction of being 'right'.

Sad individuals who crave some kind of validation from strangers based on pretended knowledge or superior guesswork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Blay wrote: »
    Being able to quote their post in the future and say 'called it' I would imagine.

I imagine that is true also. Just don't understand people who really get anything out of that though.

I don't mind book readers being here if it's not spoilery and just general discussion about the episode. Coming in and pretty much telling everyone what's up under the guise of an 'educated guess' is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I know this was on episode 1, but still, is anyone else DELIGHTED that Daario Naharis was replaced by a much cooler actor/character? I cringed so hard when I saw him in S3, yer man looked like He-Man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I know this was on episode 1, but still, is anyone else DELIGHTED that Daario Naharis was replaced by a much cooler actor/character? I cringed so hard when I saw him in S3, yer man looked like He-Man!

And what exactly is wrong with He-Man ?

• Advertisement

And what exactly is wrong with He-Man ?

lol nothing I guess. Just thought he seemed a bit of a ponce.

Naharis in S3 that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

lol nothing I guess. Just thought he seemed a bit of a ponce

I'll put up with the spoilers and the book readers but I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit here and listen to someone badmouth He-Man ! Good day sir !

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭thefa

The reader/non-reader is too black and white. I have read Game of Thrones and am two-thirds of the way through A Clash of Kings. Most of the chapters in ACOK so far in Season 2 of the show and the only hint of Season 4 material is the introduction of Ser Dontos(no necklace involved).

I am working off the basis that up until the point where I start seeing chapters giving away significant future events that I can discuss the show on this thread. I imagine the book readers thread is full of people discussing how and when known events will unfold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

rok wrote: »
    What do ye make of the recasting of Daario Naharis?
    new Daario isn't as half as fearsome lookin as the last Daario and hardly looks like he'll have Khaleesi weak at the knees

apparently Gregor the Mountain Klegane is recast too

I think its pretty shoddy from the biggest TV show in the world to recast any character. I liked the old actor. He a cheeky attitude along with his smarmy grin. The new guy seems more earnest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Grimebox wrote: »
    I think its pretty shoddy from the biggest TV show in the world to recast any character.

in this case I think the actor has gone for a different gig

there have been 3 different Mountains now

I am glad that they seem to have decided not to recast Ilyn Payne after the actor's death...I think he had done a great job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

rok wrote: »
    What do ye make of the recasting of Daario Naharis?
    new Daario isn't as half as fearsome lookin as the last Daario and hardly looks like he'll have Khaleesi weak at the knees

apparently Gregor the Mountain Klegane is recast too
    I prefer the old Daario. I could write an essay and still not be able to put my finger on exactly why but the new Daario doesn't sit well with me. I'll try to keep an open mind though because we haven't seen an awful lot of him yet.

The recasting of the Mountain affected me about as much as the recasting of Tommen did ie I didn't notice until someone pointed it out and even then I didn't notice. If you put the old and new mountain in a line up, I couldn't tell you which one came first! He's a huge guy in full armour who hasn't played a major role and the only way I would've notice a change was if they got someone of Tyrion's stature to play him. Now if they had recast his brother, that I would have noticed and had a hissy fit over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Interesting to note that the new Gregor recently came second in the World's Strongest Man contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Riskymove wrote: »
    in this case I think the actor has gone for a different gig

there have been 3 different Mountains now

I am glad that they seem to have decided not to recast Ilyn Payne after the actor's death...I think he had done a great job

Pretty sure Wilko Johnson is still alive ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saganist wrote: »

He is but he has terminal cancer.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I prefer the old Daario. I could write an essay and still not be able to put my finger on exactly why but the new Daario doesn't sit well with me. I'll try to keep an open mind though because we haven't seen an awful lot of him yet.
    It's early days still but the new guy seems a bit generic so far; you wouldn't pick him out of a crowd of GoT characters. While I might not have been fully sold on the previous guy, he stood out a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

To me the first Daario came across like a minor character from Xena: Warrior Princess or Hercules: The Legendary Journeys; a bit hammy. Can't really judge the new guy until he gets a bit more screentime.

Gamayun wrote: »
    To me the first Daario came across like a minor character from Xena: Warrior Princess or Hercules: The Legendary Journeys; a bit hammy. Can't really judge the new guy until he gets a bit more screentime.

Completely agree, I just couldn't take him as seriously for some reason. A bit poncey and almost an 80's like cheesiness to him.

Also, not to be an annoying "reader", but his portrayal in the books is much cooler :D Probably the main reason why I had a gripe with it. Still waiting on those coloured beards!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Saganist wrote: »

I'm glad to hear it and happy to acknowledge my dodgy memory of what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

anyone who has read the books really shouldn't post here at all. Moderators should almost ban anyone who can be proven to have read the books for the sake of the vast majority ITT

The declared readers on the readers' threads are very protective of non-readers and have been very careful when posting here. None of us wants to see things spoilered here, and take issue with people posting under the guise of non-readers when their 'speculation' would suggest otherwise.

I can't speak for the other readers over yonder as to why they follow the non-readers threads, but for me, I enjoy the theories and reactions because it reminds me of my own reactions to the books. Anyone who seeks to spoil that enjoyment really needs to question why they're motivated to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Completely agree, I just couldn't take him as seriously for some reason. A bit poncey and almost an 80's like cheesiness to him.

Also, not to be an annoying "reader", but his portrayal in the books is much cooler :D Probably the main reason why I had a gripe with it. Still waiting on those coloured beards!

I think we might have dodged a bullet re: the beard, I'll take generic over demented pirate-dandy any day!

daario_naharis_portrait_by_kittanee-d663gs9.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Its interesting that you refer to Theons sister as Asha as in the tv show her name is Yara.

I've read the first 2 books. No further. I'm not pathetic to be pretending otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

THFC wrote: »
    I've read the first 2 books. No further. I'm not pathetic to be pretending otherwise.

Rest assured my comment was not directed at you personally but at those who post their "own" theories while claiming not to be book readers.

calex71 wrote: »
    @ALL Back seat moderation is no no, use the report post button if there are issues with apost , any further carry on or detailing of the thread will result in warning etc.

@THFC If you have ready the books this is not the thread for you to be posting in really. I will be reviewing any posts you make here in case of spoilers etc.

GerB40 wrote: »
    You rumbled him... This lads comments can potentially fúck up the story for everyone so I'd be wary.
    Again, I've read the first 2 books and recently started part 1 of the third. I stopped reading it until the season is over because the storyline is all over the place and my head is melted trying to figure out what going on. I know no more than people on this thread and I don't see any reason why I shouldn't contribute. Anything I've posted thus far has been pure speculation. I reported the post that spoiled the killing of joffrey. The last book I read (Clash of Kings) pretty much followed the storyline and ended with the battle of the Blackwater.

Honestly, I'm not that pathetic to be posting spoilers.

Rest assured my comment was not directed at you personally but at those who post their "own" theories while claiming not to be book readers.

It was justifiably directed at me, but let me assure you, and anyone else reading this, that I've only read as far as the beginning of the third book. There's nothing in the first 2 books to give any indication of future events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I wont repeat myself again guys, any more of this on the thread and I will be handing out bans

• Registered Users Posts: 3 getoutofit

Anyone else suspect Sansa as the one who killed Joffery...she handed Tyrion the cup...just a thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I think I know who poisoned Geoffrey! And it was sooo well done. Anyone pick up on who might have killed him then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    I think I know who poisoned Geoffrey! And it was sooo well done. Anyone pick up on who might have killed him then?

Have you read the thread? Everyone has a theory! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

getoutofit wrote: »
    Anyone else suspect Sansa as the one who killed Joffery...she handed Tyrion the cup...just a thought!
    I think I would suspect Joffrey of poisoning himself before Sansa. She's the lamest waste of space in the whole show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

getoutofit wrote: »

Nope, pretty sure he drank from it after that and was fine, it was only after the cup was left down unattended in from of the Oleanna that the trouble arrived

Advertisement