Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC accounting 2014 - predictions , discussion, etc **

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

Tabular
    Kyro wrote: »
    I'm doing:

-Sole Trader.
    -Suspense.
    -Service/Club.
    -Production Budget.

And hoping for the best. ****ed if my predictions don't come up though - I'm not even going to look at any other questions.

Waheey! ;)

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 raz789

I was panicking going in because everyone was saying they would throw us a fast one. Turns out it was easier and similar to the mock paper. Psh 100 mark Farm account. You guys are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

I was refused plain paper answer book so I had to use the ledger answer book - wasn't expecting that - should I have been allowed to use a plain paper answer book

I sat mine last year, I was also refused plain paper. This caused a bit of chaos at the start of the exam and we lost about 10 minutes but when we asked about it afterwards we were informed that you can use either paper and they'd bring it up at meetings to make sure it didn't happen this year. Obviously that didn't work out too well!

Also, I balanced my Published Account last year, I was extremely annoyed that I didn't balance my Incomplete as they balanced all year but I wasn't too far off. About 95% of my Q9 was right and I genuinely believed Q1 went dreadfully. However I still came out with an A2. So don't worry too much about accounts not balancing, its the figures entered that matter most :)

Best of luck with the rest of the exams! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I'm really surprised some people were denied the use of the ordinary booklets. We asked our supervisor (or whatever they are called) and it was no problem at all luckily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Published
    Our supervisor had the ledger paper out for us and had even asked us if we wanted the normal paper. Strange that some were denied it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Sinead_Hanley

It's absolutely disgraceful - I can't believe it - it completely threw me and I went completely blank because I thought everything I was doing was wrong. Imagine being landed into a left hand drive automatic car and asked to drive on the other side of the road without any training or even seeing how it operates!! I'm pretty sure I have failed that - never failed an exam in my life - took up Accounting as an extra subject for points - would average high 80's all through - am just gutted. The principal of the school has admitted I should have been given the plain paper - that's a fat lot of good now though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Published
    It's absolutely disgraceful - I can't believe it - it completely threw me and I went completely blank because I thought everything I was doing was wrong. Imagine being landed into a left hand drive automatic car and asked to drive on the other side of the road without any training or even seeing how it operates!! I'm pretty sure I have failed that - never failed an exam in my life - took up Accounting as an extra subject for points - would average high 80's all through - am just gutted. The principal of the school has admitted I should have been given the plain paper - that's a fat lot of good now though!!

Did you think you were wrong because your format wasn't the same as the ledger booklets or something? I can understand it would through you off a bit but I doubt you failed the exam over having ruled paper instead of ordinary paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Cashflow

We also had a little panic about the accounting booklets, and without a bother we asked for the normal booklets. Of course I normally do by questions on extra sheets and there was no problem with that either. Very weird some schools were denied, but when you give an ounce of power to some, they'll become obsessed with it. Definitely get onto the SEC, quote your centre number so they can make sure it doesn't happen again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jwcurtin wrote: »
    We also had a little panic about the accounting booklets, and without a bother we asked for the normal booklets. Of course I normally do by questions on extra sheets and there was no problem with that either. Very weird some schools were denied, but when you give an ounce of power to some, they'll become obsessed with it. Definitely get onto the SEC, quote your centre number so they can make sure it doesn't happen again.

Exactly. Some Superintendents are really clueless when it comes to common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sinead_Hanley

It completely threw me - I took accounting as an extra subject on my own and I doubted everything - nothing looked right down on paper - didn't know where to put anything - I can't imagine there is anything that can be done now - all I would ask would be if I failed that it would not appear in my results at all - I never failed anything and don't want a fail in my Leaving Cert Results.

Anything, I think it's best to forget it now and not to talk or think about it again - never want to see another account even though I liked the subject

Let the summer begin

• Advertisement

It completely threw me - I took accounting as an extra subject on my own and I doubted everything - nothing looked right down on paper - didn't know where to put anything - I can't imagine there is anything that can be done now - all I would ask would be if I failed that it would not appear in my results at all - I never failed anything and don't want a fail in my Leaving Cert Results.

Anything, I think it's best to forget it now and not to talk or think about it again - never want to see another account even though I liked the subject

Let the summer begin

Probably nothing that can be done about it now as regards your paper but I would recommend getting on to the SEC about it, it might prevent it from happening in coming years! As said already, give some a little power and they become obsessed with it. Anyways, no point in carrying out postmortems on Accounting now. Enjoy the summer! Because it is true what they say... the summer after your leaving cert is the best summer you'll ever have! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Jones82

Published
    Anyone have any solutions? I really want to know where I went wrong with that service firm, but there is no way I'm gonna try that sh*t again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Andrewmcmahon

Tabular
    Anyone else pissed off with their result? Somehow got a B1 instead of an A1

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sinead18

Tabular

Same here!😕

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did you apply to view your papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

Cashflow

Got an A2 so will be definitely going in for a look!

Tabular
    spurious wrote: »
    Did you apply to view your papers?

i definitely will. i won't get my course without an upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I ended up with an A2 when I REALLY thought it would be an A1, so, I'm definitely going in for a look at the paper. Have a couple of other issues with the results (one big one), so, I'm just going to view all of my papers.

Tabular
    rm212 wrote: »
    I ended up with an A2 when I REALLY thought it would be an A1, so, I'm definitely going in for a look at the paper. Have a couple of other issues with the results (one big one), so, I'm just going to view all of my papers.

me too. i thought i had a genuine chance of getting near 100%. was absolutely disgusted to see b1. hoping it was a mistot or something

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Hopefully that or they didn't mark some small theory part. I imagine I will go in to view it and my mark will be between 89-89.9%. Hopefully I can find something small that was left out that could bring it up :) Good luck with yours too! I remember on mine that everything balanced except the main profit and loss, but, I think it was only a small error (maybe one adjustment or adding blunder). My other questions added up perfectly; the suspense and service went well and also the production budget was easy enough. I'd be surprised if I genuinely lost over 10% of the marks. I don't know... maybe loads of adjustment mistakes? I did think I did most of them perfectly though. I suppose I will see on the day!
    me too. i thought i had a genuine chance of getting near 100%. was absolutely disgusted to see b1. hoping it was a mistot or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Cashflow
    A1 lads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Isitthough?

Cashflow
    got a B3. Bit disappointed was hoping for a A2/B1 will prob get it cheaked. I think maybe the marking scheme was harder this year because it was a pretty easy and doable exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Published
    I got an A1 but one really good guy in my class got an A2. It cost him 625 and he had been an A1 all along. I'm guessing the marking scheme was tough because the paper was so predictable. People also under-estimate the level of detail required for the theory sections, so maybe that cost you guys some marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Published
    Accounting was my guaranteed A1 subject, but when I came out of the exam I knew I hadnt gotten it, my sole trader wasnt great and my timing was off... but I thought I had definately gotten the A2, came out with a B1 which im really not happy about, and neither was my teacher, so I will definately be viewing/rechecking

Regardless of what you got don't justify it your self! Review your paper if you're in any doubt at all. Look its free and won't take you that long to do. Your teachers are allowed come around and have a look too and they'll recognise if you were docked marks somewhere that you shouldn't have been. I viewed one of my papers that I really wasn't happy with last year and my grade increased from a B3 to a B1. Worth a shot anyways! :)

Advertisement