Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA 2014 Season Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Sims in full-blown meltdown mode now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its on big time now, another pick for Aubrun, starting at the Alabama 39 this time. Go Tigers, lets see a top four with no SEC team!!!! :D

War Eagle.

TD Auburn, 33-21 now, Go Tigers, Wheeeeeee!!!!

Amari Cooper wide open for his second of the night. Back down to a 5 point game. Make that a 6 point game, PAT was blocked.

• Advertisement

Williams should have had it for the td but its a field goal and a nine point lead for the Tigers with 3.30 left in the 3rd.

Williams has been great all night up to that.

Wild game, 10 secs later and Cooper is off to the races and its down to a 2 point game now. Cooper has 180 yards and 3 tds now. Time for Coates to get back on top!

Ridiculous, horrendous decision from Marshall to throw back across himself on the run and its picked and the tide have it deep in Auburn territory.

Bama back on top by six points with a Sims td run and a two point coversion. Tigers gotta get a td on their next drive I feel or its gonna be a Tide win. That td was all on Marshall with that idiotic decision.

Tide all over Marshall there and its 3 and out. Stop required here or its over imo.

• Advertisement

All over. Better team won, simple as. Bama will be hard to beat again this year and I hope they can get it done now.

Well that game turned around in the second half. All over now bar the fat lady singing. Auburn just trying to save some face now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

He may be a target for ridicule sometimes, but Lane Kiffin knows football. Watch this, as soon as the ball is snapped and he realises the coverage is what he thought it would be, he starts celebrating the TD - a good 5 seconds before it happens. He's in the bottom right corner.

https://vine.co/v/OnDP00UUrx7

Also, is there anyone out there brave enough to argue against Mariota for the Heisman now? Responsible for 48 total touchdowns and only 2 interceptions. It's a sensational statistic tbh. I reckon this could be a contender for the most one sided Heisman poll of recent history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Love Mariota and Oregon in general love how they have kept on with Chip's legacy. IF Mariota doesn't win the Heisman its a sham. Check out his natural reaction to a defensive player coming at him in yesterdays game:

jpeg-10.0.jpg

Well Mariota is an outstanding favourite but what Amari Cooper did last night was sensational too. He has 1573 yards and 14 tds on the season which is phenomenal in the SEC.

A big day in the SEC Championship game and he could break all the records in the SEC for receiving.

Talk of Muschamp taking over for the recently jettisoned Ellis Johnson as Auburn's defensive co-ordinator. Would be a very bright turn for Auburn - Muschamp is a very good defensive co-ord and even at Florida he had one of the best-performing secondaries in the nation, which has been Auburn's big weakness the last three seasons.

Even talk of the Florida RB coach - one of the top ten recruiters in Florida and a former Auburn player - joining too. Muschamp has alot of history on the Plains (student, graduate assistant, DC back in the mid-00s) so hopefully it comes to fruition.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is the Pac 12 game on TV anywhere(even on repeat)? I won't be able to stay up for it so was hoping to record it and watch it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Reports that Brady Hoke has been fired at Michigan. No real surprise in this given the struggles that the program has had in recent years but there were some positive signs at times with Hoke at the helm.

Interesting to see who'll be linked with this job

Scandalous stuff going on in Birmingham - UAB is shuttering its' college football program, in the first year they're bowl-eligible since 2004. UAB is beholden to the University of Alabama board of trustees and they have continually hamstrung UAB's attempts to improve their football program in one of the most rabid college football cities in America. They've blocked plans for on-campus stadiums to replace the crumpling and far-too massive Legion Field as well as actually refused donations intended for the UAB football program. The list goes far beyond that, you could write a book on UA's antics with UAB.

UAB is one of the leading medical universities in the world and is the second biggest employer in the entire state of Alabama - this is a sleeping giant being dictated to by greybeards in Tuscaloosa.

The Blazers will be the first FBS team to shutter since 1995, and the greatest mockery is that it was in a year with huge growth in the stands and on the field. This should have been a year of renewal, not of closure.

I respect the Tide as a team but the crap they've pulled here really leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

Syferus wrote: »
    Scandalous stuff going on in Birmingham - UAB is shuttering its' college football program, in the first year they're bowl-eligible since 2004. UAB is beholden to the University of Alabama board of trustees and they have continually hamstrung UAB's attempts to improve their football program in one of the most rabid college football cities in America. They've blocked plans for on-campus stadiums to replace the crumpling and far-too massive Legion Field as well as actually refused donations intended for the UAB football program. The list goes far beyond that, you could write a book on UA's antics with UAB.

UAB is one of the leading medical universities in the world and is the second biggest employer in the entire state of Alabama - this is a sleeping giant being dictated to by greybeards in Tuscaloosa.

The Blazers will be the first FBS team to shutter since 1995, and the greatest mockery is that it was in a year with huge growth in the stands and on the field. This should have been a year of renewal, not of closure.

I respect the Tide as a team but the crap they've pulled here really leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

i dont respect alabama to be honest i know boosting goes on across the board but they seem to do it to another level altogether its not normal to have top recruiting class almost annually for the last decade they are the only team in college football and one of only two teams in sports that i actively root against.

i saw some videos of the protests happening due to this and people are genuinely angry you seem to know more about the situation is there any chance of a u-turn here or is this pretty much done and dusted

That Alabama stuff doesn't surprise me in the least. Its sickening how they get away with what they do.

The rankings really do sicken me. How on earth can TCU be ranked ahead of Baylor when Baylor beat them? Its just so unfair.

Hopefully the Big 12 declares Baylor champions.

eagle eye wrote: »
    That Alabama stuff doesn't surprise me in the least. Its sickening how they get away with what they do.

The rankings really do sicken me. How on earth can TCU be ranked ahead of Baylor when Baylor beat them? Its just so unfair.

i think they already said they would announce dual champions spineless move on there part to be honest

also there has been people saying that had Mississippi state won they would have taken the unbeaten fsu out of the top 4. perhaps its just growing pains but this new system looks like a bigger disaster than the last

Not the first time the Board of Trustees have screwed UAB. Jimbo Fisher had accepted a contract from UAB to be their new head coach back in 2006. It would have been a huge coup for them as he was seen as a head coach with huge potential (which we all know he has now fulfilled at Florida State). But the Alabama BoT were sure that if Alabama got Nick Saban as head coach, which they did, that he would want Fisher as offensive coordinator at so they wouldn't approve the UAB contract. The reason they gave was that the contract was too expensive, but boosters had already pledged to pay half his salary so his contract would have cost less than Watson Brown, the previous coach.

Who ended up getting the UAB job? Paul Bryant Jr's (President of the BoT) buddy and old college room mate Neil Callaway. And apparently all this went into Jimbo Fisher's decision to refuse the offensive co-ordinator job at Alabama as he was looking forward to being UAB head coach.

This is all down to Bear Bryant and Gene Bartow's feud in the 70s and 80s. UAB was never allowed to thrive and has now been shut down because Paul Bryant Jr wants to give his dead father one last posthumous victory over his dead foe Bartow. It's pathetic and leaves a horrible taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Yeah but the commitee have said that head to head results only come into play if they believe the teams are very close (so a tie breaker if you will)

The committee has TCU ranked 3, Baylor 6 so they dont think they are close.

Alot of talk today that FSU drop to 4 is for match up reasons, this would have them playing Alabama which is the "dream game" between two geographically close rivals.

I think assuming that all 4 teams win their games this weekend then this is our final 4. Would have loved to seen Baylor in their just for their crazy offense but losing to WVU hurt them big and their joke out of conference games did them no favors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Come on lets look at it objectively

1) it was in Baylor
    2) it was a 3 point win
    3) TCU were the dominate game for 90% of that game.
    4) Baylor lost to West Virginia who they should not have if they were as good as they want people to think
    5) TCU played a better OOC schedule, have played more teams with winning records.
    6) Baylor have looked flakey the last few weeks against pretty average opposition.

You cant just go they beat them they are better. I mean should Ole Miss not be ahead of Alabama so I mean they beat them ...

Ive seen a lot of TCU and a lot of Baylor this year, TCU have been far more impressive and are a better team.

For what its worth the 4 teams I think are the best in the country this year are

Alabama
    Oregon
    TCU
    Ohio State

FSU may be unbeaten but they have not looked good at all and regardless of last weeks wiping of the SEC East the ACC is not a strong conference. Even though I have ohio state in there now they have lost Barrett I would expect that I would be dropping them out of that next week in which case my top 4 for the playoffs would be

Alabama
    Oregon
    TCU
    Baylor.

Im hopeful Georgia Tech and Wisconsin both win their title games so we get what in my opinion are the top 4 teams iinto the playoffs.

If you are using the Baylor win over TCU as a stick to beat them with then how the hell are Bama at one?

They only have four road games out of a thirteen game season and if you look at those game they have been less than convincing.

Lost to Ole Miss, beat LSU in ot, a one point win over Arkansas and the only semi-decent road game for them was the win over Tennessee by fourteen.

Also on FSU, it doesn't matter whether they look good, well it wouldn't matter if it was an SEC team, they just happen to be National Champions and as such should stay top unless they lose imo. Thats how it has always worked with SEC teams in the past. I don't ever remember a National Champion lose top spot while they remained unbeaten before.

Also its ridiculous to state that you would be dropping the Buckeyes out of it because they have lost JT Barrett. The guy replacing him could do better and until he proves otherwise then it shouldn't affect how they are ranked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

If you are using the Baylor win over TCU as a stick to beat them with then how the hell are Bama at one?

They only have four road games out of a thirteen game season and if you look at those game they have been less than convincing.

Lost to Ole Miss, beat LSU in ot, a one point win over Arkansas and the only semi-decent road game for them was the win over Tennessee by fourteen.

Also on FSU, it doesn't matter whether they look good, well it wouldn't matter if it was an SEC team, they just happen to be National Champions and as such should stay top unless they lose imo. Thats how it has always worked with SEC teams in the past. I don't ever remember a National Champion lose top spot while they remained unbeaten before.

Also its ridiculous to state that you would be dropping the Buckeyes out of it because they have lost JT Barrett. The guy replacing him could do better and until he proves otherwise then it shouldn't affect how they are ranked.

Yeah theres defo double standards at play in regards to FSU as opposed to a SEC team that would perform in the same manner, but if your asking me who the top 4 teams are im judging it on what I see and whilst record plays an important part you cannot be beholden to it.

Basically if I were offered even money Id take Bama, Oregon, TCU and Baylor to beat them every time. I may not be right and time will tell, if they beat GT then there in and we will see exactly how good they are, but if you throw 4 ints against Petty or Mariota Im telling ya know FSU will be torn a new one.

Im not a SEC fanboy btw, I think its weaker than US media hype would have you think, but I do still believe Alabama are a top class team and I think its a coin flip between them and Oregon as the best team in the nation.

I also never said Id drop the Buckeyes because they lost JT Barrett I said I expect that Id be dropping them after this week because I would expect there to be a huge performance drop off even if they do win. Of course its depending on the performance of the third string QB.

If the Patriots were in your view the best team in the NFL and Brady were to get injured I think its perfectly reasonable to question are they still the best team or not. If they went out and scraped home by 3 in overtime against Oakland the following week for example do you not think it would be reasonable to drop them in your power rankings despite them winning ?

Now of course it isn't an issue in the NFL as the format on how you make the playoffs isn't one that relys on opinion its a 100% results business whilst NCAAF 1A ball isn't.

If Oregon, Alabama, FSU win their conference championship games they all deserve to be in. In my view the Big 12 is a better conference this year than the Big 10 and that's why I think what TCU have done is more deserving although you have to hand it to Urben Meyer to be where he is with OSU and 2 QBs out with injury.

TCU are a better side than Baylor in my book a 3 point win at home doesn't change that in my mind and if played at TCU id expect them to reverse the result.

Anyway theres a heck of a lot of ball left to be played. Its likely one of the conference championship games will produce a surprise and K State equally might do so, and then the real fun starts.

FWIW I hate Alabama and Id be only too delighted to see Mizzou beat em and mess the SEC up and have no SEC team in the playoffs at all. It might stop the heavy bias they have going on a bit in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

nerd69 wrote: »
    also there has been people saying that had Mississippi state won they would have taken the unbeaten fsu out of the top 4. perhaps its just growing pains but this new system looks like a bigger disaster than the last

A bigger disaster than the BCS? Come on, we all knew that we'd have a squabble for who would be ranked as the fourth best team but that's a lot better than having the same row for who should be the second team in the national championship game. This system is better, it's not perfect yet, but it's definitely better than the BCS

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    A bigger disaster than the BCS? Come on, we all knew that we'd have a squabble for who would be ranked as the fourth best team but that's a lot better than having the same row for who should be the second team in the national championship game. This system is better, it's not perfect yet, but it's definitely better than the BCS

bcs was terrible but if they changed the bcs to a top 4 would the rankings be any worse

Advertisement