Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaches Geldof dead aged 25 - MOD NOTE: NO JOKES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Thought Bob's press release was a bit oddly worded - "she was the most bonkers of all of us". Hardly a grieving tribute to his daughter. RTE were trying to link it into the state visit as well on the six one news. Jesus wept, have we lost the run of ourselves.

Bob would like to apoligies to you for not fitting your template of what a "grieving tribute" should be..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Thought Bob's press release was a bit oddly worded - "she was the most bonkers of all of us". Hardly a grieving tribute to his daughter.

In the context of what else was said in that statement, it was clearly meant in a positive way. He was reflecting on who his daughter was as a person. There are plenty of people I know who I would describe as bonkers, but mean it in a wholly positive and complimentary way.
    Who are we to judge how he chooses to phrase his statement on his young daughters death?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Reminds me of the Leaving Cert. :P

Me too, leaving cert 1983.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

hotamatua wrote: »
    I must say in recent pictures she was looking pretty addled.

I defy anyone with a nearly 2 year old and a nearly 1 year old (and several dogs) to not look "pretty addled" most of the time.

iguana wrote: »
    I defy anyone with a nearly 2 year old and a nearly 1 year old (and several dogs) to not look "pretty addled" most of the time.

Well, yes, but let's suppose for a minute that she was addled. That she had mental health issues. That she killed herself, either on purpose or by accident.

Is it somehow less of a tragedy that a young mother should die that way?

Why is an aneurysm a tragedy, but depression and suicide are a joke?

It's equally tragic either way, and those of you tempted to make jokes should know that mental illness can affect you or your family, so knock it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Spexy

The Peaches Geldof story being discussed on Prime Time , RTE 1 - sad, unfortunate and tragic for her family but hardly of significant national interest here?

Well if you were maybe as old as I am :-) you would realise the connection we have with Bob Geldof (an Irish man) and what great work the man did. He orchestrated Live Aid and did more for our awareness of poverty in the Third World than anybody else ever did or ever will. He selflessly arranged one of the biggest charity events in the world, and is behind that wonderful song, Do they know it's Christmas. He is/was also the lead singer of the Boomtown rats and we should and are proud of him.
    It's so sad that he has lost his daughter now, after the tragic loss of his wife and the circumstances surrounding her death at the time. He has had a lot of heart ache, and I feel a lot of sympathy for him, and why wouldn't they talk about it on tv ?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

Spexy wrote: »
    Well if you were maybe as old as I am :-) you would realise the connection we have with Bob Geldof (an Irish man) and what great work the man did. He orchestrated Live Aid and did more for our awareness of poverty in the Third World than anybody else ever did or ever will. He selflessly arranged one of the biggest charity events in the world, and is behind that wonderful song, Do they know it's Christmas. He is/was also the lead singer of the Boomtown rats and we should and are proud of him.
    It's so sad that he has lost his daughter now, after the tragic loss of his wife and the circumstances surrounding her death at the time. He has had a lot of heart ache, and I feel a lot of sympathy for him, and why wouldn't they talk about it on tv ?

Am I the only one who would have preferred if Live Aid never happened and Bob naturally disappeared into obscurity?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Spexy wrote: »
    He gained a lot from live aid and most of the money that was raised went towards buying weapons instead of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Am I the only one who would have preferred if Live Aid never happened and Bob naturally disappeared into obscurity?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Sam Kade wrote: »
    He gained a lot from live aid and most of the money that was raised went towards buying weapons instead of food.
    Good outweighs the bad IMO. He still did something, whereas most people didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Bob Geldof is one of my Irish heroes - not perfect , but he tried to help the less fortunate , in fact the starving - so sad for him and all the Geldof family - in our little country riddled with envy, jealousy and greed , he was a 100 times better than most.
    Deepest sympathies

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

123balltv wrote: »
    Very sad either drugs or suicide I fear :(

this is my thought as well.

If it was drugs well my sympathies really go outto her husband children and family then. As for her..........I'll be polite and say nothing

Pity he didn't hand the money over to someone he could trust that way the good would have really outshone the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Christ, why are people in here arguing over whether we should like Bob Geldof or not, or whether Peaches was a celebrity, or making stupid jokes that a 10-year-old would get a clip round the ear for?

Two little boys will wake up tonight, and tomorrow, and the day after crying for Mammy and she'll never be there for them. They are just 1 and 2 and she is only 25. That is undeniably sad! This is sad if it happens to celebrity Peaches Geldof or the poorest of the poor in Africa - why do people have to quantify death, especially in one so young?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

There's a lot to be said for someone doing something, but what he did was a pretty blunt attempt at trying to help people in, I suppose, the only way he knew how (by organising a concert), but more recently he has shown himself to be a bit naive about how politics works. There is footage of him giving out to Angela Merkel for backtracking on foreign donations and she and her cohorts look mildly amused by him. It is sad that his daughter died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Thread makes me sad. :(

RIP

Most people donated money to live aid ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

";)"

Others didn't organise events on the scale of Live Aid is what I mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Awful, just awful ......RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Thought Bob's press release was a bit oddly worded - "she was the most bonkers of all of us". Hardly a grieving tribute to his daughter. RTE were trying to link it into the state visit as well on the six one news. Jesus wept, have we lost the run of ourselves.

hmmm, heres the full statement, its a little more touching than how you represented it:
    Peaches has died. We are beyond pain. She was the wildest, funniest, cleverest, wittiest and the most bonkers of all of us. Writing ‘was’ destroys me afresh. What a beautiful child. How is this possible that we will not see her again? How is that bearable? We loved her and will cherish her forever. How sad that sentence is. Tom and her sons Astala and Phaedra will always belong in our family, fractured so often, but never broken. Bob, Jeanne, Fifi, Pixie and Tiger Geldof

• Advertisement

catallus wrote: »
    what he did was has shown himself to be a bit naive about how politics works.

Yeah, not like all those other pop stars who used their fame to much better effect politically. Except none of them ever did.

Oh, and Bob wasn't a pop star, actually.

And everyone hates Bono, who is, for trying that.

So never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

hmmm, heres the full statement, its a little more touching than how you represented it:
    Peaches has died. We are beyond pain. She was the wildest, funniest, cleverest, wittiest and the most bonkers of all of us. Writing ‘was’ destroys me afresh. What a beautiful child. How is this possible that we will not see her again? How is that bearable? We loved her and will cherish her forever. How sad that sentence is. Tom and her sons Astala and Phaedra will always belong in our family, fractured so often, but never broken. Bob, Jeanne, Fifi, Pixie and Tiger Geldof
    I find that staement a bit rushed or something and not heart felt. Obviously there hurting but it is worded terribly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I find that staement a bit rushed or something and not heart felt. Obviously there hurting but it is worded terribly.

jesus I taught it was heart breaking and from the heart and not like something put together by a clever soliciter
    worded terribly...no wonder there were probily in bits with grief....like anyone would if was there daughter:o

jesus I taught it was heart breaking and from the heart and something put together by a clever soliciter
    worded terribly...no wonder there were probily in bits with grief....like anyone would if was there daughter:o

Starting off with "peaches has died" .. I dont know but it just doesnt sound right. Passed may of been a better word than died, maybe im been a bit pedantic tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

His daughter just died. I don't think he wanted to spend much time writing a statement for you. Nor do i think he cares what you think
    He obviously took a minute to write this and get it out so that people would get their fix and give him some space

Some people in this thread......

Starting off with "peaches has died" .. I dont know but it just doesnt sound right. Passed may of been a better word than died, maybe im been a bit pedantic tho.

No, you're not pedantic. See my opinion of V. Browne upthread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Blogatron52

No need to pick apart Bob Geldolf's statement.. Or Bob Geldof IMO! The thread is about the tragic passing of a young mum.. Condolences to her family I say..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I heard it was an aneurysm. No one knows and all the rumours or assumptions of drugs or suicide don't help really.

AFAIK, Bob's mother died of a brain haemorrhage at 41 years old.

EyeSight wrote: »
    His daughter just died. I don't think he wanted to spend much time writing a statement for you. Nor do i think he cares what you think
    He obviously took a minute to write this and get it out so that people would get their fix and give him some space

Some people in this thread......
    I agree and i didnt mean to be so judgemental i was just giving my thoughts on the statement sorry if i caused offence it wasnt meant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I don't think any of the details matter tbh as it's still the same end result - a young life lost and two boys who will grow up without their mother.

To me the use of 'passed on' would make it less harsh to hear but I'm sure poor bob feels the loss very harshly and 'died' reflects that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement