Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaches Geldof dead aged 25 - MOD NOTE: NO JOKES

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Well, yes, but let's suppose for a minute that she was addled. That she had mental health issues. That she killed herself, either on purpose or by accident.

Is it somehow less of a tragedy that a young mother should die that way?

Why is an aneurysm a tragedy, but depression and suicide are a joke?

It's equally tragic either way, and those of you tempted to make jokes should know that mental illness can affect you or your family, so knock it off.

I don't really think people should speculate on how she died based on how she looked in a few carefully chosen photos of her that they've seen recently. It means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Molloy81 wrote: »
    Nothing morbid about this post. I lost my Dad in a horrible way as a kid. I have only ever had one photo of him and he is looking sideways in it! I vaguely remember his face but get so distressed as I get older feeling like I cannot remember and afraid to forget. I would give up everything I own to see just one close up photo of my Dad. I feel for Bob as my own family has been decimated in bad ways too. Its hard growing up without a parent, you feel lonely and left out when you see other kids with theirs. God Bless to her two little ones.

I just had a look at her instagram page and for the first time I've felt sad about this death. Previously it was "oh just another celebrity" but there's something about seeing those little kids, knowing they will barely remember their mother, if at all. She seemed pretty devoted to them.

One thing I've noticed, this is a very "modern" death as in, she was posting on Instagram and Twitter right up to when she died. Can you imagine someone like Kurt Cobain posting pics on Twitter up to the day he died?

dubstarr wrote: »
    Hopefully the heartache stops here for him i dont think he could endure much more.

I think it's only beginning.

I'm told by a elderly relative who lost an infant child over sixty years ago that the heartache of losing them never ends, you just learn to live with it as the pain waxes and wanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Candie wrote: »
    I think it's only beginning.

I'm told by a elderly relative who lost an infant child over sixty years ago that the heartache of losing them never ends, you just learn to live with it as the pain waxes and wanes.

I can only imagine.

As I was reading the posts on this yesterday, it was obvious which posters were parents and which weren't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Indeed I was around for LiveAid and beyond ! And yes I am aware of Bob Geldof's unequalled humanitarian work for Africa. But the point I'm making is that the attention afforded this tragedy here on Irish media is, my view, way over the top and in no small part voyeuristic and self serving - last night it was given extensive coverage on each edition of RTE news , Prime Time and this morning on Morning Ireland, the News again and now The John Murray programme and no doubt a bit later on Sean O'Rourke. Yes her death is tragic and sad as is the death of any young person, particularly if the leave a young family behind. But just because she is the daughter of a celebrity and a media darling in her own right doesn't require ad nauseum coverage of her passing and a voyeuristic interrogation of (and speculation on) her personal life and demise in the name of public interest . I wish her family well and that her spirit finds peace but I don't need wall to wall coverage of any personal tragedy , be it Peaches Geldof or whoever ! Life goes on, there's more important issues requiring public service airtime !
    I dont think Bob Geldofs influence and importance to modern Ireland can be over stated and perhaps this is why the story is getting so much attention here.
    Anyone over 40 here owes a debt of gratitude to Geldof for standing up against 'Police and Priests' in a time when it was absolute and utter taboo to say anything negative about Ireland hierarchy of Priests , politicians, police and the establishment. Geldof was vilified for basically saying what every body knew to be true but were afraid to say. he was possibly the most useful big mouthed, big headed prick Ireland had then and the chickens he pointed out are still coming home to roost!
    I m normally genuinely unmoved by celebrity deaths in the same way that the death of any stranger does not effect me but as a person of a certain age demographic with genuine affection for geldof this leaves me a bit sad.

Edit: Dang it we all owe a debt of gratitude to Geldof what ever our age. He made it Ok to tell priests and politicians to 'go **** them selves'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I'm not a parent. Being extremely callous and needing to demonstrate this to lots of people for a reaction is a tendency that's nothing to do with being a parent or non parent.

I can only imagine.

As I was reading the posts on this yesterday, it was obvious which posters were parents and which weren't.

I'm not a parent, but it doesn't mean I can't try to imagine the loss. I think most of the seemingly trite posts are more not thought out, or don't come from a place of experience even by proxy and not meant to sound as simplistic as they do, but are well-meaning.

There are a few who have no idea, don't care, and can't summon up the effort to even try empathise though, but still want to share their thoughts. Luckily not many for once, but you do wonder about how some people can be so callous.

She was a young person and had two small children and a husband and family and friends, as well as her mother dying young. It's just a terrible tragedy that would be as bad if it happened to anyone, only people are talking about it because they all know of her, and are aware of the other tragedy that has beset that family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

To go and pass away leaving behind two young kids is very tragic for the Geldof family. I hope the kids will remember her as a beautiful mother and she will be loved deeply by them. RIP Peaches.

EDIT: BBC News is reporting her post-mortem will be expected to happen in the next few days.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-26933626

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

dubstarr wrote: »
    I liked her she came across as very warm and loving.The press where always trying to bring her down.And Bob who took on a child from an affair so she could grow up with siblings not many men would do that.Hopefully the heartache stops here for him i dont think he could endure much more.

I'm not sure. I hope many, most even, men would do that. The affair was pretty tawdry, but the child had lost her father as a baby, and when she was four she found her mother dead of an overdose and was on her own and bewildered until friends came to the house. I can't see how anyone's protective instincts would fail to kick in after that.

Ironically, that child - must be nearly grown up now? - has probably had the least scars and most stable upbringing after the most unstable start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

It's tragic. The poor girl and her poor kids and family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

How sad. I remember Peaches being constantly in the newspapers for the wrong reasons. I was probably harsh on her back then as any teenager was liable to say stupid and outrageous things, especially given she's the daughter of Paula Yates and Bob Geldof, two people not exactly known for biting their tongue.

But I guess every teenager is liable to ill advised comments and behaviour, most just have the advantage of those deeds not being nationally broadcast.

I've really been impressed though at how she had matured and actually taken a step back from the limelight. As others said, she seemed to relish motherhood and it had a very calming effect. Whereas before I would have thought the breaks she had gotten were given to her without merit, I really had been won over by her journalistic abilties recently (anyone who sticks it to that Hopkins woman is good by me).

I'll be honest and say that I don't like Bob Geldof but that man really has gone through far too much pain. The world is a cruel place, sometimes it almost feels like it picks on particular people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

Hitchens wrote: »
    it's a tragedy for her family and friends, but to you and me it's just a news item

I hope she's in a good place now

to be honest hitchens you cannot say it fairer than that. sad for her family but jesus its just news to the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Hitchens wrote: »
    it's a tragedy for her family and friends, but to you and me it's just a news item

I hope she's in a good place now

Great post.

Most people won't give this a second thought by the time the next bit of news rolls around. For her family, they'll probably think of little else for the foreseeable future.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Great post.

Most people won't give this a second thought by the time the next bit of news rolls around. For her family, they'll probably think of little else for the foreseeable future.

Won't they? Previously I didn't really care about Peaches Geldof, but having seen her photos with her kids, and being a parent of two little kids that I often get unnecessarily impatient with, well perhaps the legacy of this for me (and others) will be to appreciate them a little more and not rush through life.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Great post.

I don't know if I'm "most people" or if anyone is, and I'm certainly not affected by this the way her family is, but I suspect in 5-10 years time when I hear her name I will get a twinge of sadness the same way I do when I think about Jade Goody, Stephen Gately, Princess Diana, and other young people who were not "celebrities" that I knew of who suffered untimely deaths.

You can be completely shocked by something like this, especially when you can relate to the person or their family. I am the mother of small children, I have a mother, I have a sister with small children. I had a teenage cousin who died very suddenly recently. Stories like this remind you of the sheer fragility of life and that death can be indifferent to class and circumstance.

If you think "most people" hop on a bandwagon of grief at times like this you might need to examine your own capacity for empathy....

Great post.

Maybe, but it doesn't mean people aren't being sincere when they comment on how sad it is (nothing to do with her being a socialite and all that stuff - it's lame the way people go on about that as if it's of the slightest importance). Telling people they're insincere for simply saying it's sad is just as bad as what they're railing against.
    I agree the really gushy outpourings are fairly pathetic but not everyone who laments her passing is carrying on with that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Great post.

I think people of my age or thereabouts are inclined to dwell on these sorts of tragedies for a little while, because the one thing that hits you is the shocking waste of a youngster like that, in her prime and full of moxy and potential. :(

Its like when Adam Yauch from the Beastie Boys died; he didn't die from drugs, or suicide, or anything like that, he just DIED (of cancer). Which made it really unsettling, especially if you of his generation or the same age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I will get a twinge of sadness the same way I do when I think about Jade Goody, Stephen Gately, Princess Diana, and other young people who were not "celebrities" that I knew of who suffered untimely deaths.
    Holy **** I didn't even know about Stephen Gately! Jesus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'll be honest, before yesterday if you showed me a picture of her, I wouldn't have recognised her as she simply in her own right would not have been an A list international, instantly recognisable celebrity in my opinion (maybe a younger (under 30) generation would disagree with me).

Some poster got lambasted in the first page of this thread for daring to not know her and ask who she was which I thought was a bit unfair. Certainly I knew of her since when she was born from her unusual name and her famous parents but it's because she was Bob's daughter and he is one of Ireland's most prolific persons of the last 50 years. That is the reason the tragedy is resonating with me.

PS - someone posted about this tragedy being an Irish media obsession, it was the lead and continuous story on Sky News for much of yesterday evening as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Holsten wrote: »
    Holy **** I didn't even know about Stephen Gately! Jesus!

Please i ask you stop your sarcastic comments. If you want to have personal jibes at people who are dead please do it else where.

please show respect for the people who have passed on.

The families of the deceased are entitled to respect and support from the public.

it is the public's duty to show the upmost respect to the deseased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Please i ask you stop your sarcastic comments. If you want to have personal jibes at people who are dead please do it else where.

The families of the deceased are entitled to respect and support from the public.

Where was the sarcasm? Not everyone follows celebrity news.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I couldn't give a rats ass who her dad is. If it was some random girl that never made a newspaper it would be just as sad because of the fact that she has 2 small kids.
    Had a look through her twitter last night and almost every tweet she made was about them, and the'll probably never even remember her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Quick question............. are you in favor of the death penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

If more people are stopping and considering death, ultimately appreciating what they have a bit more for even a couple of hours it's a good thing in my book. To me it doesn't matter the source, or the perceived inequality in publicising the death of a celebrity. News is news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I don't know if I'm "most people" or if anyone is, and I'm certainly not affected by this the way her family is, but I suspect in 5-10 years time when I hear her name I will get a twinge of sadness the same way I do when I think about Jade Goody, Stephen Gately, Princess Diana, and other young people who were not "celebrities" that I knew of who suffered untimely deaths.

You can be completely shocked by something like this, especially when you can relate to the person or their family. I am the mother of small children, I have a mother, I have a sister with small children. I had a teenage cousin who died very suddenly recently. Stories like this remind you of the sheer fragility of life and that death can be indifferent to class and circumstance.

If you think "most people" hop on a bandwagon of grief at times like this you might need to examine your own capacity for empathy....

Most people don't care that it's Peaches Geldof is my point. Not really. It could be anyone else in or around her age who has young kids. Instantly, people think of "God, if that happened to my kid, I'd be distraught or I wouldn't be able to carry on. I can hear what Bob is saying when he says 'he's beyond pain' because I'd be the same" or "If my poor child lost me like Peaches' kids just have, it'd be horrible". I thought the same things when I heard the news on the radio.

But most people don't really care too much for Bob Geldof or the family and this time next week will have moved on to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Hey give the 'its drugs that caused it' a break give the autopsy report the benefit of the doubt, anything can cause your heart to stop its as simple as that.

This is a dreadful tragedy in a family who have already suffered a lot more than most. I feel it was probably a brain haemorrage, given that Bob Geldof's mother died of that as a child and a couple of years ago his elder sister Cleo died of the same problem. I share her family's sorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

What? No!

I was being completely genuine! I didn't know he had died!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭elefant

Strange post. Maybe he genuinely didn't know?

Also, how is it 'the public's duty' to show the up-most respect for everyone who dies?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement