Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schwarzenegger's career is dead

Options

Comments

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know, he's had his moments and I think with the right role he could pull off a very demanding role quite well.

Think of the experience he's had, athlete, actor and politician. Not many have that range of experience to pull from. It's just something I'd like to see him try at least.

A lot of actors improve with age and Escape Plan showed that Arnie is capable of more than just one liners and flexing his muscles. With the right role he could really do something special, look at Van Damme. He was the butt of bad acting jokes for decades and then blew everyone away with his performance in JCVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

Loving his charity work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea, he owns his own tank. :pac:

BTW I watched Kindergarden Cop with the missus last weekend. Forgot how hilarious it is.
    The performance of the Children & Arnie bring some really funny moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

uplink, underground, uplink underground..

if you dont shaddap, i'll uplink your ass, and you'll be underground!

he has some great oneliners in Total Recall too :)

Considah Dis a Divorce!

See you at the party Richter!

Sue me..dickhead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm a massive Arnie fan, and have to say one of his most impressive performances to date has been Escape Plan.

Obviously an iconic action hero that defined the genre for so long, but has a great opportunity now going forward to maybe prove some naysayers. He has his money, and outragous career and a real testiment to what you can achieve in life with hard work and belief.

I'd like for him to take more challenging roles, where a gun isn't involved, and try showcase his acting. While there is the obvious statement that he is not a good actor, rarely has there been a film he's been in where there was intense focus on his acting, rather then his physique and gun shooting.

Escape plan really was a eyebrow raising moment, where there was good dialogue and some captioning moments, it somewhat then frustrated me to see him totting a big gun mowing people down, something I would champion beforehand.

End of Days was a film that stuck with me because I thought it was one of his stronger roles in terms of acting.

Been an iconic figure to me from a young age, ever since my Dad put on Terminator on the TV when I was a kid, I've been loving his movies ever since.

But I would love for him to maybe take on the meatier roles, to see if he could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I don't know, he's had his moments and I think with the right role he could pull off a very demanding role quite well.

Think of the experience he's had, athlete, actor and politician. Not many have that range of experience to pull from. It's just something I'd like to see him try at least.

Something keeps nawing at me, that somewhere down the line there is a "mentor" role coming for him. or a comeback sort of thing.

It's rare, but when he wants he can be encapsulating, where you just cant take your eyes away.

Somewhere down the line is a film like Grudge Match, The Wrestler, where Arnie is going to be cast as someone trying to define ageing to achieve one last personal goal, is coming to him.

Sometime before he finishes I just know it, there is going to be a performance that will make us all wonder why he didn't do more serious stuff more often

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm a massive Arnie fan, and have to say one of his most impressive performances to date has been Escape Plan.

Obviously an iconic action hero that defined the genre for so long, but has a great opportunity now going forward to maybe prove some naysayers. He has his money, and outragous career and a real testiment to what you can achieve in life with hard work and belief.

I'd like for him to take more challenging roles, where a gun isn't involved, and try showcase his acting. While there is the obvious statement that he is not a good actor, rarely has there been a film he's been in where there was intense focus on his acting, rather then his physique and gun shooting.

Escape plan really was a eyebrow raising moment, where there was good dialogue and some captioning moments, it somewhat then frustrated me to see him totting a big gun mowing people down, something I would champion beforehand.

End of Days was a film that stuck with me because I thought it was one of his stronger roles in terms of acting.

Been an iconic figure to me from a young age, ever since my Dad put on Terminator on the TV when I was a kid, I've been loving his movies ever since.

But I would love for him to maybe take on the meatier roles, to see if he could do it.

Great scene in Escape plan when Arnie gets
    thrown into the torture cells, he starts wailing in Austrian I think
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

TheDoc wrote: »
    Somewhere down the line is a film like Grudge Match, The Wrestler, where Arnie is going to be cast as someone trying to define ageing to achieve one last personal goal, is coming to him.
    With all the period dramas it would be nice to see him in something historic, as an ancient king at the end of his reign. Sort of reprising conan a bit, but more serious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

With all the period dramas it would be nice to see him in something historic, as an ancient king at the end of his reign. Sort of reprising conan a bit, but more serious.

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Who else could say this to the devil? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

mikom wrote: »
    The man knows how to deliver a line. He's timing is an industry standard at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This classic was on last night
    The final battle is one of my favourites ,the antics of Bennett are priceless.
    Let off some steam Bennett

I love the way he gets electrocuted and its like it powers him up .

A funny video of Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭p to the e

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Great scene in Escape plan when Arnie gets
    thrown into the torture cells, he starts wailing in Austrian I think
    :D

You mean German?

p to the e wrote: »
    You mean German?

Confused.....:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

p to the e wrote: »
    You mean German?

No, Austrian, its a language.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A poster spotted at Cannes.

Fans wanting a kickstater to make it by the looks of it.

cannes-king-conan-poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Schwarznegger actually has the ability to act, I would say he's at Tom Cruise level, that scene in Escape Plan was really good, he was actually competent and convincing! So yeah he should stretch his acting muscles more. Also he's very good in typecast roles, roles that specifically cater to his background. As a Teutonic warrior in Conan he couldn't have been more convincing, this is the same for Terminator. No one can play German-warrior machines better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would say he's at Tom Cruise level

Ah here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Ah here!

Tom Cruise level is slightly below mediocre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Tom Cruise level is slightly below mediocre.

I think Cruise is a far better actor than he's ever given credit for. While it's been years since I saw Magnolia, I recall his performance being rather bloody good. Like a lot of actors he found a role that suited him and never really strayed from it but I would imagine that there's a truly great performance in him one of these days. For many actors aging is a blessing, it allows them to mature a little and often their performances improve, I assume it's something to do with letting go of that vanity many have and just embracing their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I can't stand Tom Cruse but he is easily the better actor of the two. Mind you that's not saying much.

Arnie is more a cult of personality. You only have to watch that video posted above of him running amok in his tank. The man is pure charisma. If he were American born he'd be a cert for future President.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EseJkKZXfyI

Cruise should have won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for this role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Tom Cruise in Collateral and the 4th of July, people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

he just can deliver lines in a believable manner, but his screen presence makes up for it

Sylvester Stallone is underrated, his voice has held him back too but he has much better delivery.

Tom Cruise is just as good as Leonard DiCaprio, both have difficulty shouting in a macho way, they have a high pitched whine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Arnie is in Cannes at the moment, promoting The Expendables 3. Most of the cast rolled up on top of a tank, and have been having a great time making fun of their advanced ages.

Stallone: "When your ass falls off, it's time to retire ... we are children with arthritis."
    Schwarzenegger: "When Sly was hitting me in the face, he was taking it easy. When Harrison Ford was shooting me with a gun he didn't use live ammo."

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

bnt wrote: »
    Arnie is in Cannes at the moment, promoting The Expendables 3. Most of the cast rolled up on top of a tank,

Its not a tank its an armored car :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You know he's not going anywhere, because he's still doing Japanese commercials

;)

Advertisement