Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schwarzenegger's career is dead

Options
  • 31-03-2014 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭

I love the Austrian Oak but it's time to face facts: he can't open a movie anymore and the planned Terminator reboot trilogy and his ideas about how the Terminator's human skin ages (!) will kill his most coveted franchise stone dead.

This weekend, his latest action movie, Sabotage, opened at #7 in the US with $5.3 million. That's less than the previous two post-comeback action movies that he headlined (Expendables are ensembles pieces, so I haven't included them) - The Last Stand at $6.3 million and Escape plan at $9.9 million. Sabotage was his worst opening weekend since Red Sonja in 1985.

So what's next? Sequels, sequels, sequels. A planned sequel to Twins (Triplets - with Eddie Murphy at the triplet. He's black, you guys! :D), Conan (The Legend of Conan), and of course Terminator Genesis.

Unlike Stallone, Arnie's not a writer or director. He needs to bow out of headlining movies, stop relying on sequels and action films in general, and have the dignity to step away from Terminator Genesis too. Otherwise, this 'comeback' of his could get a lot more embarrassing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Isn't the Terminator trilogy reboot supposed to be shot back to back over 9 months in LA?. What makes me excited is that for the first time in the franchise, they'll have a plan and it'll resolve the terrible consistency of making films years apart from another (e.g changing,loosing actors).

I have no doubt it might well be terrible story and frankly creatively bereft , but I'd be excited to know there'll a new film every year.

Plus they'll have it in all in the can before Arnold looks sandpaper.

Finally there'll be a complete story (yeah T1 AND T2 were a complete story, but you know.........money)

Apparently he'll play 3 versions of the T-800, the 80's, the 90's and a future old Arnold version

Once again they're ignoring everything after T2

I'm interested in how it'll segue into bringing all to an end (if the money gods have mercy, for good)

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/29/three-new-terminator-reboot-trilogy-to-be-shot-back-to-back-over-nine-months-4682674/

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=115988

I have a Rise of the Planet of the Apes feel about this one. I think it'll very good indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, why should he care? He's 66 years old, has a ton of money* and (most of) his health. He's achieved just about everything he could wish for, including a political career - and no, I don't seriously believe he wants to be President of the USA, regardless of what others are saying. If I was in his position, I'd be making films because I enjoyed it, not because of worry about my "film career".

* back in 2007 he was quoted as saying "money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million, but I was just as happy when I had $48 million". :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I actually enjoyed Escape Plan and it was clear that Arnold was having tons of fun making it.

To be honest, I'd rather see Arnold making more movies than Bruce Willis at the moment, who seems to have lost his ability (or eagerness) to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I still like seeing Arnie back in the movies, they're not great but they're certainly better than his later efforts before he went into politics like The 6th Day.

Escape Plan was a stupid, utterly stupid film. But Arnie, for me, made it enjoyable to watch as he looked like he was enjoying himself and treating it silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

He should certainly give up on the action roles. I thought he was the best thing in that escape plan, he played a weird guy really well and I loved hearing him rant in Austrian.

He just needs to pick more realistic roles for his age, it doesn't mean he can't do action but it's needs to be more along the lines of copland or grand torino.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Haven't seen the other films he's done since coming back but I enjoyed The Last Stand for what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Haven't seen the other films he's done since coming back but I enjoyed The Last Stand for what it was.
    I enjoyed it too, but would it be ageist to suggest that he is too old for action films?

It's not realistic having him in fight scenes because he looks like he's seconds away from doing himself a mischief.

Have to say that I really enjoyed both The Last Stand and Escape Plan, the latter was hugely enhanced by the fact that Arnie was given a little to work with beyond endless one liners. He's not a great actor and never will be but he impressed in Escape Plan. Sabatoge looks interesting and a lot of the reviews seem to like or dislike it given that its something of a departure for Arnie.

At this stage in his life he's achieved more than most would in 4 or 5 lifetimes. He's a body of work that includes some of the most influential and well known films ever produced and is in a position where he can try his hand at something a little different and Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Arnold can continue on for as long as he likes. At this stage I'm just happy he's making movies at all.
    He's got nothing to prove after such a career and fantastical life story.
    He post politics movies have mostly been rubbish but you still get Schwarzenegger, when they are good it's a bonus.
    The fact that he's playing to a core audience now is fine by me. It's kind of admirable really, he doesn't need the money

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skittlemon

Slightly off topic, but his raw charisma in Pumping Iron is undeniable! His star has waned but he's still turning out switch-your-brain-off - entertaining flicks. The terminator idea sounds nifty but they can pee in the wind with that Twins sequel idea, I'd prefer a Kindergarten cop sequel......yes, I went there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,139 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He's the definition of the American Dream. That his career is falling off in his mid sixties doesn't change that one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

If they ever made Druss the Legend he would be perfect but I suppose that's what the new Conan is about

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Well, I'm still glad he's making movies anyways and have enjoyed his previous 2 films, not great but serviceable.

Escape Plan didn't exactly do well in the BO in the US but did ok outside it, making it's $50 million budget back by earning $137 million so it wasn't really a failure for Stallone or Arnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

escape plan was one of the most enjoyable action movie ive seen in years. great fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Even though I'd been holding a bit of a torch for Kim Jee-woon, I thought The Last Stand was a big letdown, but this thread is reminding me to see Escape Plan ;)

I don't think Arnold will ever beat his glory days, but does that mean he can't make some good movies yet? Nope! Hope he has plenty more in him yet, I just hope he stays away from Terminator, etc. franchises. Does anyone really want a repeat of Terminator 3? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

He'll be back.

(sorry. Couldn't resist it :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ArPharazon

*Covers ears with hands*

La la la I cant hear you. Arnold is the best and will always be the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Skerries wrote: »
    If they ever made Druss the Legend he would be perfect but I suppose that's what the new Conan is about
    Interesting, although I've read elsewhere that Gemmell didn't want his books turned into screenplays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Skerries wrote: »

I agree when I read the book he was who I though of instantly.

That would be some epic movie if done right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Heres a pic of him on set on the new terminator film. He doesnt look big enough to play terminator anymore.

xterminator-genesis-arnold-schwarzenegger-set-photo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xXtr_E5eBb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Jumboman wrote: »
    Heres a pic of him on set on the new terminator film. He doesnt look big enough to play terminator anymore.

Yeah, he dosent. But sure what do we know about the movie yet? He might not even be playing the terminator. He might be playing the role of the scientist whom the terminator is modeled after. Or something....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jumboman wrote: »

xterminator-genesis-arnold-schwarzenegger-set-photo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xXtr_E5eBb.jpg

I recall reading that Arnie may not be playing a terminator this time around, but a human character of some kind (a scientist I think). He's clearly too old and out of shape to be playing a supposedly ageless robot anyway

Always thought it made no sense regardless: why develop an infiltration cyborg that can pass for human, if Skynet then builds them all look like the same guy? Kinda defeats the purpose :)

Heres another pic of him on set. I think this film is going to flop big time.

Bl4oC2JCEAAC-dt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pixelburp wrote: »
    I recall reading that Arnie may not be playing a terminator this time around, but a human character of some kind (a scientist I think). He's clearly too old and out of shape to be playing a supposedly ageless robot anyway

Always thought it made no sense regardless: why develop an infiltration cyborg that can pass for human, if Skynet then builds them all look like the same guy? Kinda defeats the purpose :)

Also why build an infiltration unit that's 6 foot odd of solid muscle with an Austrian accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

He hasn't made a decent action flick since True Lies. I think there is more mileage to be had in comedy. Something like 'Meet the Parents', or a similar dad comedy would suit him down to the ground. It certainly helped reinvent Robert De Niro in his autumn years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Seen him on screen on WWE Raw a few weeks back in the ring with Hulk Hogan, Arnold looked tiny. I hope he gets back into politics in America, he was fun as the governator.

Seen him on screen on WWE Raw a few weeks back in the ring with Hulk Hogan, Arnold looked tiny. I hope he gets back into politics in America, he was fun as the governator.

He must only be about 5ft10 there is no way hes 6ft2 which is his official height.

If you see him standing beside stallone he only looks a bit taller than stallone and stallone is only 5ft8.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

He should jump on the historic TV drama bandwagon. It would be cool to see him playing some German king back when they put an end to the Roman empire.

He's got to stop the action man stuff, he's just to old to carry it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Apart from the odd project for fun, Arnie finished with movies years ago.

My favourite Arnie Quote

"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million."

I don't think Arnie is too worried that his Movie chapter is behind him.

He used bodybuilding to get into the movies, he used the movies to get into politics.

He's retired a very wealthy man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

He hasn't made a decent action flick since True Lies. I think there is more mileage to be had in comedy. Something like 'Meet the Parents', or a similar dad comedy would suit him down to the ground. It certainly helped reinvent Robert De Niro in his autumn years.

End of Days is very underrated

Advertisement