Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schwarzenegger's career is dead

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Arnie won Mr Olypia a staggering 7 times
    Then became a successful hollywood movie star
    Then he went into politics and served two terms as Governor of California
    He retires as a multi millionaire.
    And now in retirement, he still gets to go back and do the odd action movie when he feels like it.
    I'll take Arnie's career anyday :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Robson Lobson

Jumboman wrote: »
    He must only be about 5ft10 there is no way hes 6ft2 which is his official height.

If you see him standing beside stallone he only looks a bit taller than stallone and stallone is only 5ft8.

Sylvester Stallone is 5'10". At his peak (pun intebded) I'd say he was 6'2" or 6'1.5"+. He's prob shrunk a couple inches since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

His career is far from dead. It will be a sad day when Arnie does finally quit acting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Matthew 5.11

arnie is a legend,let him do whatever films he wants,imo he's a lot better than most of the younger actors in action films these days,
    he made so many great action films and his acting got better with age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Dempsey wrote: »
    His career is far from dead. It will be a sad day when Arnie does finally quit acting

I like arnie but hes no more an "actor" than danny dyer is hes a movie star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Arnie's career is far from over with new Terminator and Conan sequels.
    But, its fair to say his 'movie career' is not the same. Long gone are the quality days of Total Recall, Predator, The Running Man etc. Man, Arnie made some great movies :)

But he is a movie star who's known for action who is sadly now in his 60s. While he still has a caeer its not the same.

Honestly if people are writing off a film, based on a picture of an actor taken away from set then you really have to wonder if they just want it to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Hell Ram

He must only be about 5ft10 there is no way hes 6ft2 which is his official height.

If you see him standing beside stallone he only looks a bit taller than stallone and stallone is only 5ft8.

Newsflash: people shrink when they're aged.

All hail Arnie - the definitive action movie star.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The man could hardly maintain his huge body forever, age was eventually gonna catch up
    728-arnold-schwarzenegger-body-and-physique-in-conan-the-barbarian.jpg

But he's certainly not out of shape, he's in pretty damn good shape for someone who's 66:
    264573_596939243658068_42712729_n.jpg

I think he needs a better caliber of films to suit him and reflect his age, but I'd still be happy to see him appear in action movies rolling out one-liners. I enjoyed The Last Stand and Escape Plan, not great but serviceable films. Sabotage did shìt in the US box office but still has to open internationally yet so I'll watch that when I get the chance.

I don't have a lot of hope for the next Terminator film considering I'm not a fan of Jai Courtney and the last 2 films weren't that good when compared to Cameron's films.

But I'm not writing it off because of Arnie, you know exactly what to get from him and , age be damned, I'll still be watching his movies :pac:

I like arnie but hes no more an "actor" than danny dyer is hes a movie star.

No, he's not the greatest actor by a stretch but he's a far more accomplished actor than Danny Dyer!! Do you really think they are comparable in acting terms? Or did you want to give me the Ari Gold speech?

• Advertisement

No, he's not the greatest actor by a stretch but he's a far more accomplished actor than Danny Dyer!! Do you really think they are comparable in acting terms? Or did you want to give me the Ari Gold speech?

Dyer is a damn good actor when he wants to be. He was excellent in a number of his early roles and Pinter cast him in a number of plays where he got good reviews. Problem is that he was type cast and hasn't been able to break out of the hard geezer roles.

As Charlie Brooker said, you watched Dyer in Eastenders to make fun of him but then find yourself watching it because of him and how much fun he's having.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Nobody goes to a schwarzenegger film because of his "acting".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Even when Arnie has left us, his career will never be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

OP if you can get 5.3 million for your first movie............:D

Dyer is a damn good actor when he wants to be. He was excellent in a number of his early roles and Pinter cast him in a number of plays where he got good reviews. Problem is that he was type cast and hasn't been able to break out of the hard geezer roles.

As Charlie Brooker said, you watched Dyer in Eastenders to make fun of him but then find yourself watching it because of him and how much fun he's having.

He is a terrible actor!
    Nobody goes to a schwarzenegger film because of his "acting".

Nobody goes to a Danny Dyer film, full stop

He is a terrible actor!

He'll never be considered a great but he has some talent, he was good in The Great Ecstasy of Robert Carmichael, Goodbye Charlie Bright, Borstal Boy, The Trench, The Football Factory, The Business, Severance, Adulthood, Dog House and Malice in Wonderland. The problem is that when people think of him they think of the exaggerated caricature he became in the media. Sure he's made some terrible films and delivered atrocious performances but he's not quite the complete waste of space most write him off as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Honestly if people are writing off a film, based on a picture of an actor taken away from set then you really have to wonder if they just want it to fail.

Yeah, that kind of gleeful schadenfreude makes little sense to me. It was the same with the Oldboy reboot (which was horrendous, but still)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭p to the e

I remember reading that Arnie was actually very wealthy before he ever went into movies due to his construction business. Basically him and his bodybuilding mates hadn't a clue how to do any construction work but as soon as they saw half a dozen gargantuan, Adonis like figures they were hired. I'm looking forward to Sabotage as the director, David Ayer, has some good form in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I love Arnie and Dyer :(:(:(:( .

The thing is, they're fun to watch in a film. Arnie can't act, but he has this bizarre charisma, and he's the only one in Hollywood with it. He clearly loves making movies. It's his hobby, not his career, and people tend to enjoy their hobbies much more than their jobs. This translates. It makes him enjoyable to watch do his thing. It's nice to see someone who just loves to act and be in movies, and not have any of the pretentiousness that can and often does come with it. The guy is earning more than a living from a hobby!

On the topic of Dyer, he can genuinely act, and has been brilliant in a number of roles. I have a lot of respect for the man. I can't quote it verbatim, but he said something like, he makes movies for the audience that likes them. Everyone else is too scared because of what the critics will say. He's another guy that just loves acting. In interviews, he's very savvy and intelligent. He's the Uwe Boll of acting. Perfectly able to make something brilliant, but people only know him for the shit. It sucks. I'd buy the guy a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

p to the e wrote: »
    I remember reading that Arnie was actually very wealthy before he ever went into movies due to his construction business. Basically him and his bodybuilding mates hadn't a clue how to do any construction work but as soon as they saw half a dozen gargantuan, Adonis like figures they were hired. I'm looking forward to Sabotage as the director, David Ayer, has some good form in this area.

Arnie made his first million from buying property and renting out the apartments. I read his book last year and he is a very intelligent guy.

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed Escape plan, The Last Stand & Expendables 2. Sometimes it can get a bit cringy with some of the cheesy one liners but you know what to expect when you watch Arnie movies.
    His fan base is still as strong as ever, have a look at his reddit page and you can clearly see that he is still in demand. His career is most certainly not dead.

Reminds me, must go watch that hilarious clip from 'Pumping Iron' where he associates weight training with a certain activity :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    His fan base is still as strong as ever

Well, no: people used to pay to see his movies - now they flop. Clearly his fan base is not as strong as ever. His fan base is old, and cinema audiences in the US are young.

Well, no: people used to pay to see his movies - now they flop. Clearly his fan base is not as strong as ever. His fan base is old, and cinema audiences in the US are young.

That's not necessarily true, all of Arnie's post political career films have turned a profit and it's important to remember that in the US a film is deemed a flop if it doesn't make money there. Worldwide, all his films have done well and Sabotage is one that will travel well. Reviews are solid, it was done relatively cheaply and it's almost guaranteed to be in profit before it even hits the home markets. Arnie is still a very bankable name, it may be on the wane in the US but worldwide he remains a serious pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Expendables 2 cost €85m , box office take €305
    Last Stand cost €45million , Box office take €48million
    Escape Plan Cost $50 , Box office take $137million
    Sabotage Cost €35million , It has not been released in Europe yet ...with 12million in the US so far , it will more than likely recover its Production cost and with some profit .

Not a bad take really , 300 odd million in profit.

He was never an actor , Just an Action movie guy and while terminator is his Most famous his high point is truly Predator . Along as he can turn a profit he will be used :D

Flop at the box office or flop completely? I agree that US age average is considerably low but DVD / Blu Ray sales are massive worldwide. Example 1 is The Last stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

PREDATOR

that is all

Anyone watched Sabotage yet? Looking forward to it.
    No spoilers please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Anyone watched Sabotage yet? Looking forward to it.
    No spoilers please! :)

No but I watched Running Man last night ,what a classic,that film was years ahead of its time .

No but I watched Running Man last night ,what a classic,that film was years ahead of its time .

“I live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I’m going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!” :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Joeface wrote: »
    He was never an actor , Just an Action movie guy
    I don't know, he's had his moments and I think with the right role he could pull off a very demanding role quite well.

Think of the experience he's had, athlete, actor and politician. Not many have that range of experience to pull from. It's just something I'd like to see him try at least.

Advertisement