Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Not sure why people would be so quick to assume he will reverse form with Oxx's colt I thought he was lucky to get it in the stewards room last time. Call me skeptical but I can't see a Fastnet Rock Derby winner but maybe I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

I'm not sure how people are so convinced that Fascinating Rock will stay 1m4f around Epsom.

I'd fancy Ebanoran & Geoffrey Chaucer to finish in front of him in the Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Gringo180 wrote: »

If it comes up soft I will be backing Gosdens colt Romsdal (if supplemented), he ran a nice race last time out just failing to peg back Orchestra and a faster run race will suit him much better. He really stuck his head out and tried the last day so he has a good attitude which is a plus.

I see Gosden has supplemented Romsdal. I think he could run a big race, was very impressed with the way he finished at Chester behind Orchestra, didnt look to really handle the track and was about 4 or 5 lengths behind O Briens colt at the furlong pole but finished like an absolute train and was only beat a short head but was about a length or 2 ahead a few strides after the winning post. He may be more of a Leger horse (Although it was a very slow run race that day)but hes one to side with each way at around 16/1. Be interesting to see who Buick chooses to ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Buick is on board Western Hymn

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Geoffrey wins on soft ground.

• Advertisement

andyman wrote: »
    Buick is on board Western Hymn

Source?

Edit - Just seen that there with a quick Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Buick told ATR today in his blog.

Hughes is on Romsdal.

Johner wrote: »
    Buick told ATR today in his blog.

Hughes is on Romsdal.

Yeah just reading that now, hes more hopeful than confident that he has picked the right one. When Gosden suplements a horse at a cost of 70 grand you should take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Can anyone tell me do the coolmore lads own Ladbrokes or are they only share holders? Tabor owns betvictor. Are they share holders in any other bookies?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

slaneylad wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me do the coolmore lads own Ladbrokes or are they only share holders? Tabor owns betvictor. Are they share holders in any other bookies?

share holders of ladbrokes, not sure of any other betting firm

• Advertisement

faoile@n wrote: »
    I'm not sure how people are so convinced that Fascinating Rock will stay 1m4f around Epsom.

I'd fancy Ebanoran & Geoffrey Chaucer to finish in front of him in the Derby.

based on last two runs over 1.2 seemed he had something left in the tank IMO

Slattsy wrote: »
    Geoffrey wins on soft ground.

I hate when people talk in certainties. He does have to reverse the form with two horses. Not impossible I'd like to see him win it myself

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Not sure why people would be so quick to assume he will reverse form with Oxx's colt I thought he was lucky to get it in the stewards room last time. Call me skeptical but I can't see a Fastnet Rock Derby winner but maybe I'm wrong

I think and hope he does reverse it. Also think it was the right decision in the stewards room

He was touched alright but thought he had every chance. He got level and wouldn't go by

UrbanSea wrote: »
    He was touched alright but thought he had every chance. He got level and wouldn't go by
    just watched it again, def correct decision by the stewards. touched but FR was improving until he was touched
    must admit the stewards probably would not have looked at it had it been a handicap or similar/ or due to the trainers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

Derrinstown was a farce of a race. No pace in the race at all turned into a 3 furlong sprint coming around the bend at Leopardstown. Gary O'Brien interviewed Pat Smullen and Dermot Weld after the race on ATR. Smullen said it was a joke of a race with no pace at all in it he said himself he knew riding in the race that it was going to turn out that way. He was actually surprised at how much speed Fasinating Rock showed during the race. He also said he was a proper horse and wouldnt swap him for any other in the race. Weld's view was that they were training the horse at home to switch off during his races and that he thought F.R. lost his balance turning in at Leopardstown due to the sprint the race turned into. It took Pat awhile to get him back balanced and get him fully into stride. This isnt word for word what was said in the interviews just mostly what i remember.

Maybe Urban you could setup a Derby Thread as dont want be derailing this one in the build up to Saturday?

Goldcupfav wrote: »
    Derrinstown was a farce of a race. No pace in the race at all turned into a 3 furlong sprint coming around the bend at Leopardstown. Gary O'Brien interviewed Pat Smullen and Dermot Weld after the race on ATR. Smullen said it was a joke of a race with no pace at all in it he said himself he knew riding in the race that it was going to turn out that way. He was actually surprised at how much speed Fasinating Rock showed during the race. He also said he was a proper horse and wouldnt swap him for any other in the race. Weld's view was that they were training the horse at home to switch off during his races and that he thought F.R. lost his balance turning in at Leopardstown due to the sprint the race turned into. It took Pat awhile to get him back balanced and get him fully into stride. This isnt word for word what was said in the interviews just mostly what i remember.

Maybe Urban you could setup a Derby Thread as dont want be derailing this one in the build up to Saturday?

what do you think was the best derby trial in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

what do you think was the best derby trial in your opinion?

2000 Guineas looks like it could be one of the strongest in a long time. Derrinstown looked to have alot of quality to it but the way the race was run wasnt good as a trial. Hard to nail down a certain trial imo.

The Guineas is always the best trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Glad to see Australia prove the doubters wrong, he would have thrashed them by 5l if the pace had been slower. The race was fast by 1.07 sec. He stays 12f but the second and third were very stoutly bred and it showed.

It was a hard race for him, hope it hasn't bottomed him.

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    The Guineas is always the best trial.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

tryfix wrote: »
    Glad to see Australia prove the doubters wrong, he would have thrashed them by 5l if the pace had been slower. The race was fast by 1.07 sec. He stays 12f but the second and third were very stoutly bred and it showed.

It was a hard race for him, hope it hasn't bottomed him.

It wasn't a slog though. He was asked to go at about the 3 furlong pole, maybe 2 and 1/2, I'd have to see it again. He got a few smacks and went clear and then had to be kept up to his work as they say.

Ground wasn't too testing either it seems, so I'd be hopeful it hasn't emptied him. They might give him a little break alright. Would they go for 10 furlongs in the future, or keep him to 12?

Joey asked him at the 2f pole.
    Didnt use the whip until the furlong pole.
    Wasnt an overly tough race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Itziger wrote: »
    It wasn't a slog though. He was asked to go at about the 3 furlong pole, maybe 2 and 1/2, I'd have to see it again. He got a few smacks and went clear and then had to be kept up to his work as they say.

Ground wasn't too testing either it seems, so I'd be hopeful it hasn't emptied him. They might give him a little break alright. Would they go for 10 furlongs in the future, or keep him to 12?
    I think they said he wasn't going to the Curragh, so I'd imagine it'll be onto the Coral Eclipse and or the King George and then the Champion stakes at Leopardstown finishing the season with a crack at the Arc/Breeders Cup Classic double.

You get the impression they'd like a crack at 1 mile again but nah, best to avoid Kingman like the plague.

I take your point about his cruising through the race, he did pick up again after the line in relation to the second so I think he'd take that horse again if they meet.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I see Gosden has supplemented Romsdal. I think he could run a big race, was very impressed with the way he finished at Chester behind Orchestra, didnt look to really handle the track and was about 4 or 5 lengths behind O Briens colt at the furlong pole but finished like an absolute train and was only beat a short head but was about a length or 2 ahead a few strides after the winning post. He may be more of a Leger horse (Although it was a very slow run race that day)but hes one to side with each way at around 16/1. Be interesting to see who Buick chooses to ride.

This horse will win the Leger!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

1526288_843136005715232_4780917474858744179_n.jpg

Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

he was sold as a yearling for circa 550k which is relatively cheap considering his parents. anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

kencoo wrote: »
    he was sold as a yearling for circa 550k which is relatively cheap considering his parents. anyone know why?

His dam had bred flute all to date but considering the stud fee minus the sale price Coolmore got an absolute bargain.

Staggering really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭razorhead

razorhead wrote: »
    Chatting a guy who saw the back of Australia and he wouldn't have him at all, but keep an eye on Free Eagle later in the year!!! take from it what you may....

Well he's back today. will be interesting to see how he goes.

Advertisement