Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia

Options
  • 31-03-2014 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Guy I know down my way,shrewd lad with lots of contacts has been throwing money at the bookies for this horse to win the derby
    2000 guineas and the arc??? Don't know enough about flat racing myself to judge or disect this bet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭del roy

Plaster

A guy I work with has a €5 e/w lucky 15

welsh national: mountainous 25/1 won
    grand national: alfie sherrin 25/1
    2000 guineas: austrailia 7/1
    1000 guineas: tapestery 8/1
    world cup: argentina 7/1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

del roy wrote: »
    Plaster

where did he get 25/1 about Alfie Sherrin? It would have been hard to find a price that short about him at any stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

del roy wrote: »
    Plaster

Lucky 15 with 5 selections? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭del roy

sorry meant to say lucky 31.

Think alfie was a drifter since he put the bet on, I think I seen it at 33s a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Australia will be a big lay for me.Poorly bred and over hyped and beat nothing yet to suggest he should be below double figures for any classic.Will just add he is a terrible looking horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭triggerharvey

sting60 wrote: »
    Australia will be a big lay for me.Poorly bred and over hyped and beat nothing yet to suggest he should be below double figures for any classic.Will just add he is a terrible looking horse.

poorly bred ? by galileo out of quija board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Australia will be a big lay for me. Poorly bredand over hyped and beat nothing yet to suggest he should be below double figures for any classic.Will just add he is a terrible looking horse.

Lol. You actually haven't a notion or you are trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Probably the best bred 3yo in training. Surely trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

The best bred three yea old won the 1000 guineas trial yesterday. He is very exciting but is very short

Australia is far from been well bred based on what Quija Board has thrown so far.Voodoo Prince by Kingmambo rated 95 at best,Aeqaeus by Monson terrible and failed to win a race on turf but won two small all weather races and Filia Regina by Galileo a total shocker rated at best 65.Because Quija Board was a brilliant filly/mare does not mean she is a good dam.Before you post back about his form do some homework and dont make a complete fool of yourself again.

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »
    The best bred three yea old won the 1000 guineas trial yesterday. Big difference in dams .

The best bred three yea old won the 1000 guineas trial yesterday. He is very exciting but is very short

Well maybe my statement was tongue in cheek. But he certainly isn't poorly bred.

Ah I know but I can see where sting is coming from. People get very excited when a great race mare goes to stud but not many live up to their racing exploits and I had my doubts about Australia given how his siblings had done but he looks by far the best of them. Cape Cross wouldn't inspire me as a brood mare sire, Kingmambo one I always look out for, especially given both Camelot and Ruler of the World's dams were by him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

What's Ouija Board's pedigree like? Think she was a half sister to a hurdler (Spectrometer?)

Cape Cross was standing cheaply enough when her dam was covered to IIRC

What's Ouija Board's pedigree like? Think she was a half sister to a hurdler (Spectrometer?)

Cape Cross was standing cheaply enough when her dam was covered to IIRC
    Well done.

Ah I know but I can see where sting is coming from. People get very excited when a great race mare goes to stud but not many live up to their racing exploits and I had my doubts about Australia given how his siblings had done but he looks by far the best of them. Cape Cross wouldn't inspire me as a brood mare sire, Kingmambo one I always look out for, especially given both Camelot and Ruler of the World's dams were by him
    No, he is a shocking looking horse IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

No, he is a shocking looking horse IMO.
    83136.jpg

As a two year old and his mother was no looker. Handsome is as handsome does. He's one of those plain looking chestnut Galileo's, like Ruler Of The World. I'm a huge fan of this horse and really hope he stays sound.

I wouldn't be worrying about anything other than his ability to run, soundness and ability to battle ( which is what class really is ).

Can't see him being tripped up by his pedigree with the engine that he's got. A 6l winner from the well thought of Free Eagle and Kingfisher beaten 9 1/2l in third went on to finish 3 3/4 behind the Royal Lodge winner in his next race. That's serious form particularly the way he just mowed Free Eagle the 2/5F down with his run. That was a class showing.

I don't like the hype, but O'Brien running a Derby prospect with solid 2yo form in the Guineas has produced the likes of Camelot and St Nicholas Abbey.

Don't see him as a Guineas type and would see it as a prep race that they'd hope he would run well in on his way to the Derby. He's light on class points in his pedigree for the Derby, but his stamina balance is perfect for it.

Would love to see him run in a top 10F race, that strikes me as his ideal trip, although 12f will be no bother to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

kiers47 wrote: »
    Probably the best bred 3yo in training. Surely trolling.

What a ridiculous statement. He's very far from the best bred 3yo in training. Good race mares don't necessarily make good broodmares, and Ouija Board's pedigree isn't extraordinary by any means.

What a ridiculous statement. He's very far from the best bred 3yo in training. Good race mares don't necessarily make good broodmares, and Ouija Board's pedigree isn't extraordinary by any means.

I corrected myself soon after.. Is more or less backlash to lads saying he had a poor pedigree. Which is hardly the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

tryfix wrote: »
    83136.jpg

As a two year old and his mother was no looker. Handsome is as handsome does. He's one of those plain looking chestnut Galileo's, like Ruler Of The World. I'm a huge fan of this horse and really hope he stays sound.

I wouldn't be worrying about anything other than his ability to run, soundness and ability to battle ( which is what class really is ).

Can't see him being tripped up by his pedigree with the engine that he's got. A 6l winner from the well thought of Free Eagle and Kingfisher beaten 9 1/2l in third went on to finish 3 3/4 behind the Royal Lodge winner in his next race. That's serious form particularly the way he just mowed Free Eagle the 2/5F down with his run. That was a class showing.

I don't like the hype, but O'Brien running a Derby prospect with solid 2yo form in the Guineas has produced the likes of Camelot and St Nicholas Abbey.

Don't see him as a Guineas type and would see it as a prep race that they'd hope he would run well in on his way to the Derby. He's light on class points in his pedigree for the Derby, but his stamina balance is perfect for it.

Would love to see him run in a top 10F race, that strikes me as his ideal trip, although 12f will be no bother to him.

Love reading your posts on the flat horses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

Word I'm getting.is there going for the 3 of these races and expecting it to go close,I'm having a dabble on it this weekend anyhow,didn't o brief say he is the best horse he's had in the yard since istabraq?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Word I'm getting.is there going for the 3 of these races and expecting it to go close,I'm having a dabble on it this weekend anyhow,didn't o brief say he is the best horse he's had in the yard since istabraq?

Pure hype talk that. He cant possibly believe that, and im certain ive heard that out of O'brien countless times. At any rate the 5/2 is not at all appealing for the 2000.

Looking forward to seeing Toormoor in his prep race

For all the posters here who sent me private messages calling me everything under the sun about his form.He beat Free Eagle of Welds BY 6l when Pat Smullen said after the race he was going to pull him up he felt so bad.Weld Said later "A very serious lung infection was found,he is very poor".Last week Smullen said "god he was a sick horse after that race,but is now coming on big time".

For all the posters here who sent me private messages calling me everything under the sun about his form.He beat Free Eagle of Welds BY 6l when Pat Smullen said after the race he was going to pull him up he felt so bad.Weld Said later "A very serious lung infection was found,he is very poor".Last week Smullen said "god he was a sick horse after that race,but is now coming on big time".

It's strange that this horse has people falling out over it already. The odds of him not being a superstar are stacked in your favour and the value on him for the classics is well gone, but visually and on collateral form I was very impressed by his performance at Leopardstown. Can't for the life of me see a very sick nearly going to be pulled up Free Eagle performance in the race. I was a big fan of Free Eagle before the race, which is probably why Australia's win blew me away. Anyway the race is above and I'm happy enough with the form and time of it. He only needs to improve 3-4lb on his 117 OR to win a Derby.

He's not flashy and they have the likes of the proven War Command in the stable, so he must be showing up well at home to be getting the nod for Newmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭razorhead

Chatting a guy who saw the back of Australia and he wouldn't have him at all, but keep an eye on Free Eagle later in the year!!! take from it what you may....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Think they should avoid the Guineas with Australia and go for a Derby trial instead, cant see him beating Gosden's Kingman who looks to be a superstar in the making.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Think they should avoid the Guineas with Australia and go for a Derby trial instead, cant see him beating Gosden's Kingman who looks to be a superstar in the making.

He looks in reasonable form in this gallop, definitely not a beautiful horse, but there's a solid tough look about him.

I'm not 100% convinced that the form of the placed horses in Kingman's Greenham win makes him an even money favourite for the 2,000 Guineas. It was jaw dropping, but it was only a trial and Kingman hasn't run over a mile yet.

There are 5 GP1 winning Juveniles still left in the race and O'Brien's much hyped Australia. There's plenty of value about that makes taking on Kingman worth a shot, just in case he's not quite a second Frankel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Kingman beat a sprinter lto (good time i'll admit) and tree's behind the sprinter.
    Kingman wont run on good to firm.
    Evens?? You're having a fúcking laugh.

Wouldnt be backing Australia at 3/1 mind you, but have him bigger ;)

War Command look value to me right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Unless there's some accident or unforeseen setback, I cannot see anything getting close to Kingman. I'm not one to be backing favourites in these classics but his performance the last day was striking, and in a different league to anything shown to date by those lined up against him. I'm not convinced by Australia, despite the war drums beating loudly from co tipp. He's not for me but if I'm proved wrong, so be it. If kingman is Evens come NRNB, I will be backing him.

• Advertisement

Yeah War Command is the value between the two but the fact they are even considering sending him to France says enough about the horse. When did Ballydoyle last run a serious miler at Longchamp instead of Newmarket,Furner's Green, Excellent Art, Astronomer Royal, Aussie Rules not exactly an elite crop

Advertisement