Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Marmion wasn't rubbish tonight. He was very good in the second half. We had 70% possession in that half, much of which went through him. If he's not making sniping runs and scoring tries that doesn't make him rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

its_phil wrote: »
    Well I thought he played well and that you have no clue. Henshaw, Buckley, Tiernan and Masterson dragged Connacht kicking and screaming into that match for the last 20. Henshaw was trying too much to be the hero alright sometimes and took on one or two bad runs, but the majority of his work tonight was very good in defence and attack. Big tackles on Sharples on the counter twice come to mind and always sucking in two or three defenders carrying the ball. We had two oppurtunites at the end of the first half to score and they were both off Robbie dummy lines, he was our only dangerous player to Gloucester and they knew that by man marking him. Unfortunatley our exploitation of that was poor.
    Ok, our friend at 9 did somehow ok. Really. He was pants. My opinion.. Day in and day out I would select alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ouncer wrote: »
    Yep, marmion was rubbish tonight and he was rubbish last week and he was rubbish the previous week and the previous week etc....

Thanks very much for that ouncer, I was gonna go work on a punching bag but this was just as good if not better.

All from you within the last two months about Kieran. So you were dissapointed he wasn't on the bench for Ireland within two months ago and now he's third choice nine at Connacht. Oh how the mighty have fallen :rolleyes:.

no sign of marmion on the bench for italy :-(. No sign of reddan either (injured?). If so would have thought Kieran would have been ahead of Issac. Pity but Joe knows best

An opinion that changes to and fro whenever it suits to gang up on a player, as we have seen in the past with your posting. Let's not forget your lambasting of Leader and Robbie in the past while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Henshaw is the standout in the backs, TOH was good when called upon.

Thought that Muldowney and McCartney were very good. Masterson is getting better and better, had a really good game. Muldoon gives it his all and he cares so much. Buckley was also very good, scrummaging was top drawer.

You should not wait until the second half to up the intensity tho, our half backs were just so poor, felt for Marmion as he has held us together many times before. Was screaming to take the points earlier in the second half, get a few scores to make them nervous and they were at the end.

Way too many passengers in the team and I do have to add that Gloucester are no great shakes, they have home advantage in the semi which will help them, but can't see them winning the cup.

its_phil wrote: »
    Thanks very much for that ouncer, I was gonna go work on a punching bag but this was just as good if not better.

All from you within the last two months about Kieran. So you were dissapointed he wasn't on the bench for Ireland within two months ago and now he's third choice nine at Connacht. Oh how the mighty have fallen :rolleyes:.

An opinion that changes to and fro whenever it suits to gang up on a player, as we have seen in the past with your posting. Let's not forget your lambasting of Leader and Robbie in the past while we're at it.

I don't really want to punch a bag its-phil. Am upset with a most stupid loss. Side by side our team don't play together. I did propose a back line earlier this week. Pat decides, what to say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Have to say, I think Marmion's form has taken a bit of a dive. Cooney has looked more assured in recent weeks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Hagz wrote: »
    Have to say, I think Marmion's form has taken a bit of a dive. Cooney has looked more assured in recent weeks for me.
    Agreed

Hagz wrote: »

I don't think he has played well either, being dropped after the Wolfhounds game was an almighty kick to his confidence looking at it from outside. Cardiff and Munster he didn't play well and Cooney is really pushing him. He didn't play well in the first half tonight either but he had a very strong second half. He's more than entitled to a couple of bad games in my opinion and he hasn't been catastrophic either.

But for some people to make him our third choice scrumhalf overall now is OTT in my opinion. I think Cooney is the best thing for Marmion, just like Boss is for Reddan. He's going to push Marmion for the next two years I have no doubt, but Marmion is going to be a seriously class player IMO and he's a big match player as he has proven time and again.

Ok, I am at the end of my tether. Our pack kicks ass each day. It must be so hard to be let down each weekend by our friend at 10. I have watched this game over again and everybody has worked their hearts out. Its just poor play by carty and marmion who supposedly direct the game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Ok, I am at the end of my tether. Our pack kicks ass each day. It must be so hard to be let down each weekend by our friend at 10. I have watched this game over again and everybody has worked their hearts out. Its just poor play by carty and marmion who supposedly direct the game

more carty than marmion , marmion is just going through a bit of a bad patch -- I do not know how Carty got to playing at this level for an OH his kicking skills are null and void

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

RogerThis wrote: »

We won't be able to talk about the details of it on here, I presume, given that it's a rugby forum. Jaysus, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

duckysauce wrote: »
    more carty than marmion , marmion is just going through a bit of a bad patch -- I do not know how Carty got to playing at this level for an OH his kicking skills are null and void

Maybe a Sponsor is influencing team selection @ 10 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Had a look at the NZ Media site and he is headline news and is no angel by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Jack needs a good break away from the limelight. His confidence is absolutely gone. Ronaldson to start and Miah on the bench for the next few games. I do think he has potential but not as a starting 10 at this time.
    As for Marmion his form has certainly dipped from his very high standards but there's no way he's behind Porter, that's just insane. Cooney is pushing him and that's great to see. I wonder if having a 10 he doesn't trust is causing some of the issues.
    Robbie last night was immense and when he's back paired with Aki it's going to be some combination. Especially with a good 10 inside them. Healy and Poolman will benefit as well. Right now in attack we just look a bit toothless. A lot of possession but it was very much over and back across the pitch. Eventually you are going to turn over the ball.
    Overall there isn't a huge amount that needs to change. A good standard 10 will make a huge difference. Look where we are with one who's not doing it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Re Jack I think most people here would agree that he has lots of potential even ouncer was once hugely in favour of starting him over Dan. I think what he needs is consistent game time at a level with less pressure but still at a relatively high level to get some confidence in his game. I don't know does that mean sticking to AIL for a while or getting loaned out to the likes of the championship for a season. I def think that we when fit we will see Ronaldson start for the rest of the season and I really believe the only reason he didn't start last night was that he had been sick the week previous.

Re Mils, right now I feel like he is being picked simply to get our monies worth from him. On form TOH and Leader are better options at the moment there's no doubting that Mils is a legend but unfortunately his body seems to be letting him down at the minute.
    TimHorton wrote: »
    Maybe a Sponsor is influencing team selection @ 10 ?

Sorry your going to have to expand on that theory because as it is I can't understand the logic at all. If you had said a sponsor was influencing the selection at 15 I could understand, I would have been dismissive, but I would understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Any word on the Mils arrest?
    Was it for robbing Connacht? :P:pac:

• Administrators Posts: 53,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

there should be no conjecture or guessing or allegations or anything like that posted about this arrest.

awec wrote: »
    there should be no conjecture or guessing or allegations or anything like that posted about this arrest.

genuine question, are we allowed to discuss it, and if so what are the boundaries within which it can be discussed? Can we link to article and repost tweets etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

b.gud wrote: »
    genuine question, are we allowed to discuss it, and if so what are the boundaries within which it can be discussed? Can we link to article and repost tweets etc?

Is there any point in discussing it? If there's anything to this case it's high enough profile to make the media, especially social media.

Maybe, it's just me but I can't see any benefit in discussing cases like this on a rugby forum.

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »

That he has been arrested is fact, but anything after that is speculation. This is an ongoing investigation and nothing should be posted that is not fact and cannot be linked to. Anything speculative, including posts about his past/character, that might be construed as suggesting guilt, will be dealt with harshly. Remember anything you post can leave boards open to libel, not to mind being unfair to the player involved. Mods will not allow any such posts.

phog wrote: »
    Is there any point in discussing it? If there's anything to this case it's high enough profile to make the media, especially social media.

Maybe, it's just me but I can't see any benefit in discussing cases like this on a rugby forum.

I agree personally I have no intention of discussing it, I'd much prefer to talk about what he has or hasn't done for Connacht rugby in his time here. I asked the question cos I get the feeling that there'll be a small swell of posters here talking about the story so I figured it would be good to bring up the topic of how we can best discuss it so that the thread doesn't descend into chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Dragons on their way to the Challenge Cup semi-finals leading Cardiff 25-14. Winners face London Irish or Edinburgh. I thought it at the time but definitely now believe that we saw the winners of the Challenge Cup at the Sportsground in January. Pity we didn't win that game to get a home quarter as there isn't much quality in the competition this year.

Dragons on their way to the Challenge Cup semi-finals leading Cardiff 25-14. Winners face London Irish or Edinburgh. I thought it at the time but definitely now believe that we saw the winners of the Challenge Cup at the Sportsground in January. Pity we didn't win that game to get a home quarter as there isn't much quality in the competition this year.

Agreed. I fancy Exeter to win at Gloucester and beat the pick of the rest. In fairness they deserved the win in January, and I'll be happy for their fans, some of the best travelling fans we've seen in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 R Lahart

After watching last night couple of thing I reckon. Robbie looks more natural at 12, very obvious when he switched to 13 he was trying harder. Props on there day can match any one. Second row needs an at least one addition. Mull is not an 8. Things improved so much when George came in. Meaning we prob need another ball carrying 8. Tom needs a break. His carrying was lazy last night caught behind the gain line to many times. Toh is back. Marmion need a rest also but as others said it could be he doesn't trust jack. Why oh why is leader put to wing. Last night was crying for his boot to the corners behind the wingers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Anyone know if Aki will be in consideration for next week? We really are running out of backs at this stage. Ideally I'd like Ronaldson, Poolman, Aki, Henshaw, TOH and Leader as the starting backs next week. Niyi should be grand to bench having played for the Eagles this week.

Robbo wrote: »
    Anyone know if Aki will be in consideration for next week? We really are running out of backs at this stage. Ideally I'd like Ronaldson, Poolman, Aki, Henshaw, TOH and Leader as the starting backs next week. Niyi should be grand to bench having played for the Eagles this week.

Should definitley be back. Was suppose to play against Gloucester but picked up a head knock in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Zzippy wrote: »
    Agreed. I fancy Exeter to win at Gloucester and beat the pick of the rest. In fairness they deserved the win in January, and I'll be happy for their fans, some of the best travelling fans we've seen in Galway.

I would have fancied Exeter at the start of the competition but going to Kingsholm will not be easy. Glaws are not a great team, but home advantage against a big local rival will up the intensity of the game. Personally I think that the winners of tomorrow's game between London irish and Edinburgh will win it and I have to say that I hope london Irish do it. Mostly because Griff is playing and I wish him well. Edinburgh are a very good team though.

London Irish have beaten Exeter at home this year and lost away to them. They are playing much better since they have changed coach. If they win tomorrow, they get a home semi v Dragons and the final is in London! Would wish Griff all the best.

Robbo wrote: »

Is Healy out? Couldn't drop him if he's fit IMO

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Is Healy out? Couldn't drop him if he's fit IMO

Might be he looked in a bit of discomfort when he was taken off last night. Agree if fit he should start

Advertisement