Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I dont watch any tv services in Ireland....

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    But, I already pay for RTE regardless via my UPC subscription, and I pay for my broadband through that as well - as well as the VAT on both.

You don't pay for RTÉ via UPC or any pay provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ are independent of the government.
    :D

I imagine you don't believe that, though; you accept that RTE can only compete in some areas.

RTE is not the BBC. Ergo they should not be "competing". They are a Public Service broadcaster, with grossly overpaid DJs and stars which are no better than chatty presenters.

They have a defined income. And should cut their expenditure accordingly.

They should not be dual funded.

And the taxpayer should certainly not be expected to fund minority interests such as orchestras and choirs.

7upfree wrote: »
    And the taxpayer should certainly not be expected to fund minority interests such as orchestras and choirs.

Indeed close down all Libraries, museums and other such lark.

• Advertisement

Indeed close down all Libraries, museums and other such lark.

Big difference. The money that RTE squanders is truly astonishing. These are niche interests with little or general audience appeal or use.

Big difference. The money that RTE squanders is truly astonishing. These are niche interests with little or general audience appeal or use.

How much tax payers money is wasted on libraries filled with DVDs and ps3 games? And art ****ing museums and a ****ing national theatre?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnDx

What if you have more than one TV, in my house there are 5 TV's, so am I supposed to pay a licence for each or what?
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

JohnDx wrote: »
    What if you have more than one TV, in my house there are 5 TV's, so am I supposed to pay a licence for each or what?
    :cool:

Under the new system?

As it currently stands, only each address need have a TV License regardless of the number of televisions - which the hotel industry is lobbying to remain the case.

How much tax payers money is wasted on libraries filled with DVDs and ps3 games? And art ****ing museums and a ****ing national theatre?

Are they also in receipt of advertising revenue? Are some of their employees on €600k? Well?

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Anyway..............

I could quite happily do without RTE, TV3, TG4, RTE radio, and their websites.

Anything on RTE/TV3 that I might watch I can get much earlier from my US cousins, I don't speak Irish and have no desire to learn, and RTE News I consider to be propaganda for the government of the day (which is unsurprising considering who appoints the board and pays the bills) so if they all shut down in the morning I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

But, I already pay for RTE regardless via my UPC subscription, and I pay for my broadband through that as well - as well as the VAT on both. When this Broadcasting Charge comes along it'll just be another example of double taxation that this country is so fond of - same thing as Water Charges which we already pay for in general taxation but will now pay separately for AS WELL

To be fair though, given the Irish attitude of just bend over - unless it's threatening our drink or "right" to own property, it's not surprising that this stuff happens

Would agree with most of the above.

Regarding the property, the issue here is that people have bought and paid for their own house, paid VAT on it, stamp duty, and have not cost the State a penny to house. And they are punished for it.

Are they also in receipt of advertising revenue? Are some of their employees on €600k? Well?

Sorry I didn't realise that we were talking about the whole organisation of RTÉ, I though we were talking about the elitism of the Concert Orchestras.

Sorry I didn't realise that we were talking about the whole organisation of RTÉ, I though we were talking about the elitism of the Concert Orchestras.

Two sides of the same coin.

Two sides of the same coin.

So close the orchestras down or separate them?

So close the orchestras down or separate them?

close them.

close them.

So close the libraries and museum also they waste taxpayers money, middle classes going around looking and reading oh how nice isn't this nice, nice doesn't get the bills paid.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

So close the libraries and museum also they waste taxpayers money, middle classes going around looking and reading oh how nice isn't this nice, nice doesn't get the bills paid.

It's tough because I'm been to plenty of performances by the RTE Symphony and ... Meh.

Plenty of orchestras these days survive on sponsorship and maybe they'd be forced to be better if they had to please someone.

Endlessly playing music from movies, etc.... It doesn't help their case.

Advertisement