Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I dont watch any tv services in Ireland....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

harney wrote: »
    OK, I'm confused now. Are you agreeing with the poster, or trolling him/her for writing threads rather than treads?

So busy was I with making a compelling argument that I made that mistake! My bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The problem with TV is that everyone seems to think that it should have a 24hour service. Thus like most channels TG4 has a huge amount of filler were there are programmes that really don't suit it or its schedule.
    IMO, outbidding RTE for the rights to the Heineken Cup was for reasons of self-interest and not for the benefit of License Payers.

I think RTÉ decided not to go for those rights, from my understanding of TG4's rights buying they buy what others have no interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Elmo wrote: »
    He isn't a News and Current Affairs Presenter (then he seems bored most of the time to me).

The OP wasn't just restricted to news.

RTE is part of the establishment. They know what side their bread is buttered.

So busy was I with making a compelling argument that I made that mistake! My bad!

and I thought we were agreeing and disagreeing :(

I am sure it is not but I was just giving an example.

TV and Radio isn't just about News and Current Affairs.

I'm aware of that, and made reference to it in my initial post on this thread. But, whereas one can chose not to listen to Sunday Miscellany and thereby be unaffected by it, the quality of current affairs coverage has an indirect influence on everyone.
    I think RTÉ decided not to go for those rights, from my understanding of TG4's rights buying they buy what others have no interest in.

I wasn't aware of that. How much must it have been if TG4 could afford it? Surely, during this period of unprecedented success for Irish rugby clubs, they ought to have kept it?
    and I thought we were agreeing and disagreeing :(

I'm sorry, Elmo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

jenjenten wrote: »
    ...so why must i pay a licence fee?, i havent watched any Irish tv channel in years, nor any radio, i dont visit the website or use any streaming services that the national broadcaster has.

So why the hell am i billed 160 quid each year for something i NEVER use :confused:
    Because if we don't pay, we would only have the likes of TV3 in Ireland. That my friend is not a situation we want to find ourselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

SamAK wrote: »
    Wait until the universal broadcasting charge is brought in...no hope then!

I thought this was shelved?
    Ive only recently moved back to the country and had mo intention of buying a tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I am totally against the forthcoming "broadcasting charge", and i use the term loosely because lets call it what it really is: a new internet stealth tax.

As bad as the current system is whereby you must pay the fee even if your tv is broken the new tax is worse

No TV? you still pay
    No radio? you still pay
    No broadband? you still pay
    No 3g/4g coverage? you still pay
    No smartphones or tablets? you still pay

None of the above? YOU STILL PAY.

I object to the fact that i must pay for something that i'm not using right now....but might sometime use in the future should the mood take me/they decide to give me signal/broadband/etc etc

If I want something, then i'll pay for it. NOT BEFORE, and i currently do not want nor need any RTE services.

I already pay a tax on my broadband. it's called VAT.

Bringing in a broadcasting charge? then cut VAT from broadband bills/tv's/radios's/smartphones/tablets and computers. I refuse to pay twice.

The last time i caught RTE in my parents gaff, i saw the latest "TV licence" ad, and again I use the term loosely as there is not one single TV in it. phones, tablets and laptops alright.....but no TV's

It's subliminal messaging to prepare us for this new tax, so we wont complain too much when it arrives.

I want to opt out, not be forced to opt in.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I hope you're all happy. She got so burned by being caught out that she's closed her account. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I am totally against the forthcoming "broadcasting charge", and i use the term loosely because lets call it what it really is: a new internet stealth tax.

As bad as the current system is whereby you must pay the fee even if your tv is broken the new tax is worse

No TV? you still pay
    No radio? you still pay

I object to the fact that i must pay for something that i'm not using right now....but might sometime use in the future should the mood take me/they decide to give me signal/broadband/etc etc

If I want something, then i'll pay for it. NOT BEFORE, and i currently do not want nor need any RTE services.

Bringing in a broadcasting charge? then cut VAT from broadband bills/tv's/radios's/smartphones/tablets and computers. I refuse to pay twice.

The last time i caught RTE in my parents gaff, i saw the latest "TV licence" ad, and again I use the term loosely as there is not one single TV in it. phones, tablets and laptops alright.....but no TV's

It's subliminal messaging to prepare us for this new tax, so we wont complain too much when it arrives.

What happens if "I unpower it". Is that not a valid choice too? :rolleyes:

Turns out in fact your TV will work even when you leave, you only have to keep it switched on.
    Its ok you can get off your pedal bike. It's defunct.

I love how the future wa supposed all shiny and bright, and we''ll have more freedom with internet. so we can do all without all these charges. "No you'll have to pay" Tech should free us, not enslave us.

Oh nooooess I'll be out of the loop, whatever shall I do?

Give me strength.

• Advertisement

Adamantium wrote: »
    What happens if "I unpower it". Is that not a valid choice too? :rolleyes:

I'm not following you. unpower what? the TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I'm not following you. unpower what? the TV?

The license fee. You know so they'd go to purely 3rd party funding.

I see RTE have disabled all comments on that video. No dissent allowed. :rolleyes:

ohhhh sorry, i get you now... it was a pun on the tagline for the ad. my apologies, a little slow today. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

and could easily have made them using advertising revenue if rte wasn't holding a gun to the bank accounts of everyone with a tv. well, maybe.. always a big chance they're too ****ing useless to survive without the state subsidy

well then the OP is caught out rotten

My Guess is the OP watched them in a friends house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

No TV? you still pay
    No radio? you still pay

They left out the part where most of them would be spending half the time buffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The TV Licence doesn't just cover TV. It also pays for national institutions like the concert orchestras.

If you have a TV you need to pay for a TV licence, if you don't watch TV then you have no requirement for a TV.

I don't understand why RTE (and licence payers) are responsible for orchestras.
    They rarely appear on TV, and don't even contribute much to Lyric FM (which only a tiny number or people listen to).

They should be maintained from Arts Funding, or private donations.

Skid X wrote: »
    They rarely appear on TV, and don't even contribute much to Lyric FM (which only a tiny number or people listen to).

Well that is another question. How do you fund such services?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Sure the OP even subscribes to RTE on you tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jenjenten

12 element wrote: »
    Sure the OP even subscribes to RTE on you tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jenjenten

What are rules surrounding members who leave? Boards is becoming very very harsh on members, it's like one big evil society of people with QWERTY keyboards and access to the internet :pac:

NEVER LEAVE!

Skid X wrote: »

RTE is not responsible; the orchestra funding comes directly from the License Fee intake

No TV? you still pay
    No radio? you still pay

First, as I said before, I think there ought to be a Public Service broadcaster supported either by government subvention or License Fee.

However, I can fully empathise how frustrating it must be for one who doesn't think there should be.

A few arguments in it's favour:

I don't drive, yet I'm required to contribute to the construction of roads through my taxes. There are three reasons why that is justified: it's highly possible that, at some point, I will start to drive; I directly benefit from there being roads when I get taxis or buses; and because I indirectly benefit from the economic benefits, etc, that having roads brings. Reasons 1 and 3 could also apply to the TV License. I believe it's very unlikely that, if RTE resembles it's present form in the future, you will not at some point begin to access their content more regularly. If that is correct, it's appropriate that you should be charged for the privilege of being able to make that choice. Regarding the third: as I said in an earlier post, you benefit indirectly because people around you benefit from the service: they're more informed, etc.

It is true that a commercial operator would likely take RTE's place, but there's no knowing what they would produce, and TV3 doesn't provide a comforting precedent. It's almost certainly the case that the misleading coverage of "Obamacare" by the likes of Fox News has had a detrimental effect on the political process. Such partisan coverage could be avoided here with strict regulation. But, it remains that there is no telling what guise the commercial operator would take. It should be noted that RTE television receives e110m from the License Fee and only e85m from "commercial activities", ie advertising revenue. That revenue should be seen in light of RTE's being the dominant television broadcaster in this country. So, it's not as if there is a huge amount of ad revenue that could sustain the industry. RTE's News and Current Affairs department accounts for the largest share of it's expenditure, and it's likely that any commercial operator would reduce that substantially.

Because we aren't levied individual taxes on public services, there isn't debate about whether we ought to pay for particular ones; we just accept either that we all benefit from a particular service, or that where we mightn't from one, we do from another. The License Fee could be incorporated in the tax system, and the services it funds paid for by government subvention, which I think we likely silence this debate. But, then it would be subject to political processes, which is undesirable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

I don't drive, yet I'm required to contribute to the construction of roads through my taxes. There are three reasons why that is justified: it's highly possible that, at some point, I will start to drive; I directly benefit from there being roads when I get taxis or buses; and because I indirectly benefit from the economic benefits, etc, that having roads brings. Reasons 1 and 3 could also apply to the TV License.

So you use roads by using buses, taxis and well if you need to cross the street and therefore taxes being spent on roads is fine. You "use" the road.

Now what about this. You don't drive, nor have a car. Should you pay motor tax?

Daith wrote: »

I don't think motor tax fully pays for the roads.

I don't think motor tax fully pays for the roads.

And the TV license doesn't pay fully for everything. Which is why we have ads on RTE and other methods of income.

So you use roads by using buses, taxis and well if you need to cross the street and therefore taxes being spent on roads is fine.

First, it was one of many arguments. I think I could disregard it, but still make a good case.

There are limitations to using the motor/roads analogy, and I think it's been reached.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the Motor tax is; is the expenditure from its take outlined? In short, if motor tax income is the means by which the road network is maintained, I think it would be justified to levy it on all people - as you indicated, some of my payable tax is currently apportioned for that purpose.

And the TV license doesn't pay fully for everything. Which is why we have ads on RTE and other methods of income.

I'm not sure that that fact has a bearing on this debate.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the Motor tax is; is the expenditure from its take outlined? In short, if motor tax income is the means by which the road network is maintained, I think it would be justified to levy it on all people - as you indicated, some of my payable tax is currently apportioned for that purpose.

Right so you contribute something towards the roads in your payable tax because everyone uses the roads more or less.

Heavier road users (vehicle owners) pay more with motor tax. So we have a two tier structure.

So should people who don't have a tv, pay less of a broadcast charge but still contribute than those with a TV?

I'm not sure that that fact has a bearing on this debate.

I was referring that the license fee doesn't fully cover all of public broadcasting like motor tax doesn't cover all road works either.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

I'd happily pay for the BBC. But RTE. Ugh.

Saying that, if they fired Ryan Tubridy I'd be slightly happier paying the stupid license fee.

I was referring that the license fee doesn't fully cover all of public broadcasting like motor tax doesn't cover all road works either.

I understand that. How is it relevant? Elmo's point was that the Motor Tax income is not solely spent on maintaining roads. It likely is also spent on counteracting the negative effects of driving: pollution, accident and emergency, etc. I would begrudge having to pay for those!

• Advertisement

I understand that. How is it relevant? Elmo's point was that the Motor Tax income is not solely spent on maintaining roads. It likely is also spent on counteracting the negative effects of driving: pollution, accident and emergency, etc. I would begrudge having to pay for those!

You already pay for that through a variety of taxes! Your local property tax goes towards cleaning roads also for example.

Taxes aren't clear cut and can easily be shifted around. However heavier users pay more in the form of motor tax.

Advertisement