Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I dont watch any tv services in Ireland....

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Tubridy no longer earns that much - he now earns €495k. Still too much, but less than you said. Clarkson had a joint share in the commercial revenue of Top Gear.

Still way way too much... and good for Clarkson... that's smart business...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

MilanPan!c wrote: »

I really appreciate that. I'd been looking for something like that for ages. The best I could find was a top-10 in RTE's Annual Reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Here we go again, comparing parks and libraries to pop radio and Fair City...

We all know HOW CRUCIAL Fair City is to us as a nation...

And imagine an Ireland that didn't give Ryan Tubridy €750K of our tax dollars every year, why - would it even be Ireland any more?!?

As for local radio, there's alternatives to the BBC in pretty much every city in the UK... same as here... just that, in the UK people choose to listen to the BBC in much higher numbers because it's of a much higher standard.

No actually I was comparing The National Concert Orchestra and The National Symphony Orchestras to Libraries, Museums, Parks etc etc.

Those against the Licence Fee say: -

1. Orchestras are only there for elites
    2. You can't compare the likes of Fair City to Libraries, Museums, Theatre etc etc

Which is it Populism or Elitism?

The reason that the BBC have a higher listenership is because they also have local services, you'd have to compare the listenership of BBC Radio 1 (7%), BBC Radio 2 (17%) and BBC Radio 3(1.2%) to that of 2FM (7%), RTÉ Radio 1 (23%) and LyricFM (3%). (National Radio Services)

BBC have 2 other radio service which have 16% between them (R4 and 5), while RTÉ don't provide figures for RnaG, they are not included in the JNRL research.

BBC National Radio (5 stations)= 41%
    RTÉ Radio (3 stations) = 33%

I can't imagine that RTÉ would be let have any more FM radio stations, they do provide a range of Digital Stations.

Still way way too much... and good for Clarkson... that's smart business...

Remember Pat Kenny was on just short of one million at one stage...ONE MILLION! :D

Tubridy's salary was likely negotiated on the back of that precedent. If I were him, I would be saying, "Finucane's on €300k for four hours; I present a daily radio show plus the flagship chat show."

Thank you - I wasn't aware of that! I knew only of the digital radio station.

However, it is clearly a fringe operation, and one which is only targeted at 2-6 y/o's. I think my point - that the more variety a broadcaster offers the likelier their Share is to be larger - still stands and is self-evident.

Have you run out of popcorn yet?!

RTE Jr is a cable channel and basically just shows UK kids TV shows... if you have SKY or UPC you can get the same programming, with few exceptions, on other channels... another massive waste of tax dollars.

• Advertisement

Stuff like this, being funded by my taxes, is a slap in the face...

Oh I get it, the snake is like a giant cock... and now she's giving it "head"... hurray for Irish culture - that's gotta be as valuable as the education system...

RTE Jr is a cable channel and basically just shows UK kids TV shows... if you have SKY or UPC you can get the same programming, with few exceptions, on other channels... another massive waste of tax dollars.

RTÉjr provide support to the Irish Animation industry, though I agree they could
    provide more support. It also provides work in the TV industry.

RTÉjr is available as a standalone channel on Soarview, in the same way that CBeebies is available on FreeView in the UK.

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉjr provide support to the Irish Animation industry, though I agree they could
    provide more support. It also provides work in the TV industry.

RTÉjr is available as a standalone channel on Soarview, in the same way that CBeebies is available on FreeView in the UK.
    Unless actions are taken to improve the appeal of the platform, the 180,000 “unique homes” for which Saorview was the only means of viewing at the end of 2012 will halve to 90,000 by 2020, at which point its economics will “become questionable”, O&O predicts.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/saorview-should-not-be-let-limp-into-television-obscurity-1.1648570

Are you glad we paid at least €70M to roll out a service that less than 200K houses have, and which will decline in popularity, by half, in the next decade?

More good investments...

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/saorview-should-not-be-let-limp-into-television-obscurity-1.1648570

Are you glad we paid at least €70M to roll out a service that less than 200K houses have, and which will decline in popularity, by half, in the next decade?

More good investments...

No actually I am not but it was largely down to government policy (DCERN) and the regulator.

If you want more information about how both failed to do anything in the area you may wish to look at the Broadcasting Section here on boards. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Also RTÉjr is available on all platforms in the state.

Stuff like this, being funded by my taxes, is a slap in the face...

Oh I get it, the snake is like a giant cock... and now she's giving it "head"... hurray for Irish culture - that's gotta be as valuable as the education system...

Emma Quinlan "was left reeling after the death of her most prized and precious serpent, Squirt.

'Devastated isn't the word,' she told The Diary, 'But unfortunately it's reality. Circle of life. She was a fantastic snake.'"

'She was a fantastic snake, I'm devastated' - Model Emma Quinlan | Irish Independent

• Advertisement

@MilanPan!c firstly just your last post has annoyed me when I consider the last 10 years of Digital TV in this country. The government allowed a situation to happen were we didn't develop anything.

The BAI and the Department sat on their fat arses and did nothing. They just let things pass them by. There was to be an Oireachtas TV channel were it is, on UPC why because the Oireachtas don't want to waste any money though they happily paid a consultant to consult on Oireachtas TV? The Irish Film Board channel forgotten about, nice Idea during the Celtic Tiger. Not allowing RTÉ provided a 3rd TV channel AKA RTÉ PLUS, preventing advertising on RTÉ NEWS NOW, only to provide a decrepit little channel.

Failing to even try to get TG4 or TV3 to provide more services. The Department Spending vast amounts on a Switchover campaign starring Gay Byrne.

It has taken Minister (Pat Rabbitte) a year to decided weather or not RTÉjr should be dropped from RTÉ TWO, a year. TV3 complained about the move. TV3 complained about UTV to the BAI. The BAI were supposed to report back to the minister on new services, they haven't its been forgotten about.

So sorry RTÉ had to file in behind overpaid ministers, civil servants and consultants (Who haven't got a ****ing clue). :mad:

No actually I am not but it was largely down to government policy (DCERN) and the regulator.

If you want more information about how both failed to do anything in the area you may wish to look at the Broadcasting Section here on boards. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Also RTÉjr is available on all platforms in the state.

It's available, but like I said, it's mostly UK childrens shows... it's on Soarview, which is another costly failure, and it's on SKY and UPC, though it's mostly duplicated content from other providers on the same box...

As such it's mostly redundant and the 70M plus we dumped into it would've been better used to give grants to businesses or hey, maybe used to - I don't know - invest in education and healthcare?

Not that taxes spent on broadcasting fashion models simulating fellatio on their pet snake isn't as valuable as teachers or doctors... but still..

@MilanPan!c firstly just your last post has annoyed me when I consider the last 10 years of Digital TV in this country. The government allowed a situation to happen were we didn't develop anything.

The BAI and the Department sat on their fat arses and did nothing. They just let things pass them by. There was to be an Oireachtas TV channel were it is, on UPC why because the Oireachtas don't want to waste any money though they happily paid a consultant to consult on Oireachtas TV? The Irish Film Board channel forgotten about, nice Idea during the Celtic Tiger. Not allowing RTÉ provided a 3rd TV channel AKA RTÉ PLUS, preventing advertising on RTÉ NEWS NOW, only to provide a decrepit little channel.

Failing to even try to get TG4 or TV3 to provide more services. The Department Spending vast amounts on a Switchover campaign starring Gay Byrne.

It has taken Minister (Pat Rabbitte) a year to decided weather or not RTÉjr should be dropped from RTÉ TWO, a year. TV3 complained about the move. TV3 complained about UTV to the BAI. The BAI were supposed to report back to the minister on new services, they haven't its been forgotten about.

So sorry RTÉ had to file in behind overpaid ministers, civil servants and consultants (Who haven't got a ****ing clue). :mad:

all the more reason to dump it... proof that Irish government should be in the TV business...

As such it's mostly redundant and the 70M plus we dumped into it would've been better used to give grants to businesses or hey, maybe used to - I don't know - invest in education and healthcare?

Largely failures of the Government and the Regulator.

all the more reason to dump it... proof that Irish government should be in the TV business...

RTÉ are independent of the government. The government and the regulator are at fault.

MilanPan!c I amn't disagreeing that RTÉ don't have their problems but there are a few that exist outside of their control. And one of those areas has been the Government and the Regulator policy in relation to broadcasting.

Largely failures of the Government and the Regulator.

The same government that you want to run RTE?

Sure, what could possibly go wrong... oh wait... school and hospitals are underfunded, so are the police... the roads are falling apart and we can't even pay to fix our outdated public water system...

but sure, let's continue to dump millions into RTE and it's horrible TV shows and radio stations...

And if you don't agree with that?

Sure, the state should pay to send you to court to force you to pay for crap like Fair City.

RTÉ are independent of the government. The government and the regulator are at fault.

MilanPan!c I amn't disagreeing that RTÉ don't have their problems but there are a few that exist outside of their control. And one of those areas has been the Government and the Regulator policy in relation to broadcasting.
    Under the Broadcasting Act 2009, RTÉ's governance arrangements have changed. The statutory corporation form has been retained, however the new Act no longer refers to the board of RTÉ as an "Authority" and it is now simply known as the Board. Of the new 12 member Board replacing the RTÉ Authority: the Minister will appoint 6 members, the Oireachtas Committee on Communications, Energy and Natural Resources will decide on 4 names to present to the Minister for appointment, 1 member will be elected by the staff of RTÉ and the Director-General will sit on the Board in an ex-officio capacity. The current RTÉ Authority members have been reappointed to the new Board in the interim.[15] The provisions of the Act relating to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland were commenced on 1 October 2009(underStatutory Instrument389 of 2009 of the Broadcasting Act 2009), RTÉ will be externally regulated by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland.

via Wiki...

It is in no way an independent organisation...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

More good investments...

This just gets better and better.

Saorview is a waste of money now. To have no FTA terrestrial service would be absolutely daft.

"But what was wrong with what was there before?" Ask the EU.

It also allowed the Gov to sell spectrum for 4G for €854.6million

lertsnim wrote: »
    This just gets better and better.

Saorview is a waste of money now. To have no FTA terrestrial service would be absolutely daft.

"But what was wrong with what was there before?" Ask the EU.

Saorview is obviously a waste and will be dead and gone in less than a decade. All at a massive cost to the taxpayer.

• Advertisement

Saorview is obviously a waste and will be dead and gone in less than a decade. All at a massive cost to the taxpayer.

But you agree by switching off analogue signals it brought in some 10 times the amount it wasted?

Saorview could work if you had people in the Dept and the BAI who weren't afraid to rock the boat, sorry were willing to work. They are desperately trying to hold on to the status quo. Even the arrival of UTV Ireland has them ****ting in their pants.

It also allowed the Gov to sell spectrum for 4G for €854.6million
    But you agree by switching off analogue signals it brought in some 10 times the amount it wasted?

You are wasting your time Elmo. It is like talking to a brick wall. MilanPan!c is clearly looking for a reaction here.

You are wasting your time Elmo. It is like talking to a brick wall. MilanPan!c is clearly looking for a reaction here.

I'm not. Though it's certainly telling that you'd rather attack me personally than continue to try and push your love of subsidised Fair City down my throat.

I'm not. Though it's certainly telling that you'd rather attack me personally than continue to try and push your love of subsidised Fair City down my throat.

You brought up Fair City because it is an easy target. It's a soap, just like EastEnders I don't believe it deserves to be on a Public Service Broadcaster. Though unlike the fully funded EastEnders Fair City breaks even in advertising revenue. Then the BBC have a lot more soaps like Casualty, Holby City, River City and Doctors. But I don't think you should compare the BBC with RTÉ.

Also I hope that I didn't attack you over your arguments, I try not to do that.

I've never seen Fair City, but for a lot of people it justifies the License Fee: I have incomplete data, but for four of the five weeks between Feb 17 and March 23, each week's episodes (four) were in the top-10 most watched on RTE 1 for that week, and, last week, two of the episodes were first and second - ie above the LLS and The Voice of Ireland.

RTE Aertel Ratings

As long as RTE also provide content that I find appealing, I don't object to Fair City!

I attacked you personally? Then you make an assumption about me immediately afterwards. Oh dear you really are precious aren't you.

You ignored a point made by Elmo which said that the selling of some of the analogue spectrum made far more than what it cost to build the DTT network. You are ignoring things like that so of course I will make the assumption that you are here looking for a reaction.

I attacked you personally? Then you make an assumption about me immediately afterwards. Oh dear you really are precious aren't you.

You ignored a point made by Elmo which said that the selling of some of the analogue spectrum made far more than what it cost to build the DTT network. You are ignoring things like that so of course I will make the assumption that you are here looking for a reaction.

You've ignored multiple points I've made. It's the nature of a forum.

Again, you're finding excuses.

I've never seen Fair City, but for a lot of people it justifies the License Fee: I have incomplete data, but for four of the five weeks between Feb 17 and March 23, each week's episodes (four) were in the top-10 most watched on RTE 1 for that week, and, last week, two of the episodes were first and second - ie above the LLS and The Voice of Ireland.

RTE Aertel Ratings

As long as RTE also provide content that I find appealing, I don't object to Fair City!

Tax money should NOT go toward soaps. People shouldn't be threatened with court if they are unwilling to pay for soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

People shouldn't be threatened with court if they are unwilling to pay for soaps.

Are now, come on.

Imagine the smell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Anyway..............

I could quite happily do without RTE, TV3, TG4, RTE radio, and their websites.

Anything on RTE/TV3 that I might watch I can get much earlier from my US cousins, I don't speak Irish and have no desire to learn, and RTE News I consider to be propaganda for the government of the day (which is unsurprising considering who appoints the board and pays the bills) so if they all shut down in the morning I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

But, I already pay for RTE regardless via my UPC subscription, and I pay for my broadband through that as well - as well as the VAT on both. When this Broadcasting Charge comes along it'll just be another example of double taxation that this country is so fond of - same thing as Water Charges which we already pay for in general taxation but will now pay separately for AS WELL

To be fair though, given the Irish attitude of just bend over - unless it's threatening our drink or "right" to own property, it's not surprising that this stuff happens

Advertisement