Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Moncrieff - Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I missed yesterday.................was Paulo back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Nope.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Bosco's voice is worse than nails on a blackboard

Is there any point in saying "No Paolo" any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

#JeSuisPaolo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

davef1000 wrote: »
    #JeSuisPaolo

Great, you can tell us why you're never on any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It is strange how they've never addressed the Paolo situation on air, I imagine there has been a flood of emails and texts into the show inquiring of his whereabouts.

I hope he's just busy with other things and it's not something like an illness.

I don't believe they mentioned David Coleman when he left the parenting slot so its nothing new.

Shows move on and evolve and very seldom do they mention the people/slots that are dropped or changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Moncrieff fawning all over Nora Owen now. It's sickening how servile he is to "his betters".

Of course there'll be no awkward or challenging texts while she is on. Though he may pull his old schtick of reading one out later on and saying that's a good question but sorry I only saw it now and she's gone. Yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

he may pull his old schtick of reading one out later on and saying that's a good question but sorry I only saw it now and she's gone. Yeah right.
    Jees man, yer awful cynical.

You could be right, mind ... and if you are, then Sean's awful cynical (and/or hypocritical).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Moncrieff fawning all over Nora Owen now. It's sickening how servile he is to "his betters".

Of course there'll be no awkward or challenging texts while she is on. Though he may pull his old schtick of reading one out later on and saying that's a good question but sorry I only saw it now and she's gone. Yeah right.

In fairness he always fawns over the guest in that first half hour. There are never any difficult questions. It's obviously part of the deal for coming on that part of the show.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It is strange how they've never addressed the Paolo situation on air, I imagine there has been a flood of emails and texts into the show inquiring of his whereabouts.

I hope he's just busy with other things and it's not something like an illness.

Unfortunately I think it's illness.

I think he has on going kidney problems and on The Restaurant in TV3 he did look ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

In fairness he always fawns over the guest in that first half hour. There are never any difficult questions. It's obviously part of the deal for coming on that part of the show.

i think it's great the way it's done. he just sits back and lets them dig their own hole. ronan mullen and ivana bacik always cancel each other out with their respective nonsense, but ruth coppinger was just let dig a hole so deep that she'll never get out of it.

i think it's great the way it's done. he just sits back and lets them dig their own hole.
    There are two ways to interview people who you might consider pompous, arrogant or just plain wrong. One is to challenge or hector them, Vincent Brown style. The other is to let them waffle on, and to deliberately feed them, such that they'll go to ever greater levels of ridiculousness. And with the latter approach, sometimes an ego is so big, that the guest doesn't realise it is happening.

Stephen Donnelly is talking a lot of sense, it's a shame it's unlikely there'll be someone in my constituency like him.

Stephen Donnelly is talking a lot of sense, it's a shame it's unlikely there'll be someone in my constituency like him.
    What about yourself, your holiness? ;)

After all, Donnelly got elected himself without a party machine.

Ok,

We have to all agree that Paulo has been taken by aliens and is longer on this planet !

serfboard wrote: »
    What about yourself, your holiness? ;)

After all, Donnelly got elected himself without a party machine.

I don't have the time, money, or public speaking skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I live in his constituency, and he's really good on local issues too. He's like the perfect TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

RayM wrote: »
    I live in his constituency, and he's really good on local issues too. He's like the perfect TD.

I was in college with him.
    A genuinely nice guy but I would have never in a million years seen him as a potential TD! He's done well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Ian O'Doherty was on for the first half hour. As usual he spouted a load of claptrap all while pretending to be right on and liberal. Today he had his attention turned to the recent "Beach Body Ads" from the London Underground. Essentially he said that everyone was getting upset over nothing, that people should have a thicker skin and that people have the right to get their "knickers in a twist" but really they were just jealous because the model in the Ad was hotter then them.

I know he just says this stuff to be controversial but it annoys me the way Sean lets him away with it because Sean finds him amusing (Although he did press him on a few things today.). Aside from the Fact that the Ad in question is likely photoshopped beyond all recognition and thus Is nt a genuine body for people to be envious of, the message of the ad is disgusting (ie don't take your clothes off in public unless you are at peak physical attractiveness), something O'Doherty conveniently ignores prefering to paint those opposed to the ad as jealous prudes who hate women's bodies.

What do others thing of O'Doherty and the way Moncrieff handles him. I usually turn it off when O'Doherty is on but it was Funny Friday on the other side which never fails to make me cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Ian O'Doherty was on for the first half hour. As usual he spouted a load of claptrap all while pretending to be right on and liberal. Today he had his attention turned to the recent "Beach Body Ads" from the London Underground. Essentially he said that everyone was getting upset over nothing, that people should have a thicker skin and that people have the right to get their "knickers in a twist" but really they were just jealous because the model in the Ad was hotter then them.

I know he just says this stuff to be controversial but it annoys me the way Sean lets him away with it because Sean finds him amusing (Although he did press him on a few things today.). Aside from the Fact that the Ad in question is likely photoshopped beyond all recognition and thus Is nt a genuine body for people to be envious of, the message of the ad is disgusting (ie don't take your clothes off in public unless you are at peak physical attractiveness), something O'Doherty conveniently ignores prefering to paint those opposed to the ad as jealous prudes who hate women's bodies.

What do others thing of O'Doherty and the way Moncrieff handles him. I usually turn it off when O'Doherty is on but it was Funny Friday on the other side which never fails to make me cry.

Ian O'Doherty is a breath of fresh air. I knew the Twitter feminists would freak out when he was on. It's rare to find someone on the radio who doesn't tow the PC line. Even presenters I like like Moncreiff and Matt Cooper are terrified over ever disagreeing with SJW/Feminist guests and allow them to spout their nonsense unquestioningly.

Everybody these days seems to think they are special flowers and their opinions are important somehow. They can't have a thought without having to share it online with their "followers". They pretend to be outraged over such trivial issues. They complain when a cat is killed in a storyline in a fictional tv show !!!! There are a lot of morons out their and social media has given them a voice.

Health supplement company use attractive model in poster advertisements. Cue faux outrage !!!!

Funny, I never saw everydaysexism hastags on any David Beckham posters.

Ian O'Doherty is a breath of fresh air.

He spouts the same sihte people like him have been spouting for years, its hardly a breath of fresh air.
    I knew the Twitter feminists would freak out when he was on. It's rare to find someone on the radio who doesn't tow the PC line. Even presenters I like like Moncreiff and Matt Cooper are terrified over ever disagreeing with SJW/Feminist guests and allow them to spout their nonsense unquestioningly.

Using the term feminist as an insult is possibly the most misogynistic and sexist thing I have ever heard.

For what its worth I don't consider myself a Feminist, twitter or otherwise.
    Everybody these days seems to think they are special flowers and their opinions are important somehow. They can't have a thought without having to share it online with their "followers". They pretend to be outraged over such trivial issues. They complain when a cat is killed in a storyline in a fictional tv show !!!! There are a lot of morons out their and social media has given them a voice.

I am not a special flower, I have no followers, this is only a trivial issue for those who who don't have to deal with it.
    Health supplement company use attractive model in poster advertisements. Cue faux outrage !!!!

I don't think the outrage is in anyway faux. I think it is entirely legitimate
    Funny, I never saw everydaysexism hastags on any David Beckham posters.

If you think pictures of David Beckham in his underpants are sexist, you don't understand what sexism is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

So when you said you wanted to know what people thought of Ian O'Doherty , it was only people who agreed with you ?

How did you infer I was using feminist as an insult ? I'm sure a lot of the people who were annoyed with him today would describe themselves as such.

Ads have always used more attractive people. Why should it cause offense ?

Anyway we can agree to disagree. You misandrist :)

So when you said you wanted to know what people thought of Ian O'Doherty , it was only people who agreed with you ?

I asked for your opinion, I got it and I have disagreed with it.
    How did you infer I was using feminist as an insult ? I'm sure a lot of the people who were annoyed with him today would describe themselves as such.

The part where you refered to "Feminists spouting their nonsense" raises the inference that you used it as an insult.
    Ads have always used more attractive people. Why should it cause offense ?

It's not because they use more attractive people that they are offensive it is the effect of the ad and the message of the ad that are offensive. The ad in question have the effect of objectifying women's bodies (which David Beckham's Ads don't) and send the message that if you are woman you should not wear beach wear unless your body is at an unobtainable level of of attractiveness as if it anyones business what an individual person chooses to wear.
    Anyway we can agree to disagree. You misandrist :)

I'm no misandrist either! ;)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: Ok, that's all we have time for today, we'll have to leave this discussion parked.

Thanks.

Moderator: Ok, that's all we have time for today, we'll have to leave this discussion parked.

Thanks.

Yeah that got a bit Off Topic there, apologies:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I find Ian O'Doherty a breath of fresh air as well... Particularly on a station like Newstalk where everything is so painfully politically correct... He is a brave guy to say what he says, and I can only presume that he gets dogs abuse from the liberals

Bullies aren't a breath of fresh air. He gets what he gives to anyone who happens not to be a straight white guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I find Ian O'Doherty a breath of fresh air as well... Particularly on a station like Newstalk where everything is so painfully politically correct... He is a brave guy to say what he says, and I can only presume that he gets dogs abuse from the liberals

Wouldn't accuse Newstalk of political correctness.
    Yates.
    Hook.
    Moncrief.

Advertisement