Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mand4990

I got into RCSI I'm in shock:-(!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gmmmmm

Congrats :)
    Can I ask what's your background?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Hi Gmmmmm,
    I was offered NUIG on Wednesday. It's my first choice so i'm thrilled. I do not believe it matters if you have a masters or phd. I don't even have a degree. I think you need recent academics, loads of worth while experience and to have a personality the uni's feel is suited to the profession. At least that's my 2 cents anyhow...

I'm a nurse no masters:-)!

That's great borrch! Delighted for you. My research begins for medically related courses so. :)

• Advertisement

Ok cool! Well well done! :) and
    Thanks for the feedback.

Gmmmmm wrote: »
    Ok cool! Well well done! :) and
    Thanks for the feedback.

Best of luck!

That's great borrch! Delighted for you. My research begins for medically related courses so. :)

Why not apply again next year? I didn't get any interviews last year?

Mand4990 wrote: »

Well done :-) It's a great feeling isn't it !!!

Oh I will, and the year after that etc until I get a place. (I could be 40 by the time I get it but I don't care) !!!

Im prepared to do any additional course to bulk up my application. I'm just trying to sus out exactly what course to do, and essentially figure out what the admissions look for. ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Oh I will, and the year after that etc until I get a place. (I could be 40 by the time I get it but I don't care) !!!

Im prepared to do any additional course to bulk up my application. I'm just trying to sus out exactly what course to do, and essentially figure out what the admissions look for. ðŸ˜

If I were you I would focus more on experience than course work.

borrch wrote: »
    If I were you I would focus more on experience than course work.
    Thanks for tip! First aid/paramedic sort of stuff?

I do do placement once week in a psychiatric ward so I'm definitely planning to continue with that.
    Come the interview process next year I'll have 52 weeks of experience to hopefully talk about! *all going well*

Well done :-) It's a great feeling isn't it !!!

A feeling unlike any other :-o! Don't know how they select ppl:-/!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lin_2014

Congrats borrch and mand4990 best of luck.

Posted while back asked same question as gmmm regards backgrounds.
    I wasn't called for interview plan to reapply the stress any tips on experience volunteering that you think swung it. I have engineering design background. So zero clinical experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pooch88

Got my rejection letter yesterday :( Don't understand the selection process...Had done a lot of shadowing, taken blood, scrubbed up and assisted for a femoral head replacement...have volunteering experience in a nursing home...currently doin a MSc Bioengineering..felt interviews went well....just don't know :( banking on UCC now

Pooch88 wrote: »
    Got my rejection letter yesterday :( Don't understand the selection process...Had done a lot of shadowing, taken blood, scrubbed up and assisted for a femoral head replacement...have volunteering experience in a nursing home...currently doin a MSc Bioengineering..felt interviews went well....just don't know :( banking on UCC now

Sorry to hear that Pooch88. I believe it boils down to personality ( & finance ) if you have gotten as far as interviews. It's a very subjective process unfortunately :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pooch88

Felt the interviews went well borrch and told the admin 1 finance wasn't a problem :( It's my first time applying as a mature student if that's an issue? ...went back 2 yrs ago to repeat the lc... Got 565 but the hpat hasn't been kind to me

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lin_2014

Pooch88 wrote: »

Amazing amount of experience very sorry pooch88 u didn't get a place yet.
    Can I ask is you first degree health related.
    How did you go about getting experience? Any tips I keep getting flat out no s for shadowing.
    Same question to borrch regards experience??

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

Sorry to those getting rejection letters, and congrats to those who have gotten a place. I am still waiting to hear. (hoping for Trinity). What kind of HPAT score is required this year? I noticed a few people have mentioned above that their score let them down.

Just to mention my Hpat score is terrible so havnt a clue about the selection criteria :-(

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that Pooch88. I believe it boils down to personality ( & finance ) if you have gotten as far as interviews. It's a very subjective process unfortunately :-(

Borrch:-) may I ask your background? Upcoming plans?

Borrch:-) may I ask your background? Upcoming plans?

I had a hpat score of 175. I spent the last year gaining experience in a hospital so had loads to talk about in regards to that. I don't have a degree, but resat all 4 lc science subjects. I will be taking NUIG's offer as I live in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

hi Mand
    do u mind asking what was your hpat score? thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

does anyone know any body getting offered while they are eligible for the graduate entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

jody24 wrote: »
    does anyone know any body getting offered while they are eligible for the graduate entry?

I'm pretty sure there are people in my year who were also eligible for grad entry

hi Mand
    do u mind asking what was your hpat score? thanks in advance

My Hpat was like 142 :-/!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

I know in previous years that Trinity have definitely offered places to some eligible for Grad Med. I know one for definite in 2nd year and in some higher years. Don't know so many 1st years, or about this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 58dermo

Hi Guys
    I know TCD and RCSI have offered places, has Galway offered places as well? because i keep getting leaflets from the NUIG medicine School in the post and i think the are just being mean.... :/

Has anyone heard if UCC or UCD have called people for interviews?

Those that got offered a place in RCSI and or TCD are all of you definitely accepting your place(paying deposit etc.) or are you all hoping for the graduate entry or school leaver route?

58dermo wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    I know TCD and RCSI have offered places, has Galway offered places as well? because i keep getting leaflets from the NUIG medicine School in the post and i think the are just being mean.... :/

Has anyone heard if UCC or UCD have called people for interviews?

Those that got offered a place in RCSI and or TCD are all of you definitely accepting your place(paying deposit etc.) or are you all hoping for the graduate entry or school leaver route?

Hi,

Galway had also offered places. Not sure about UCC UCD-I paid deposit for RCSI but rest of money is phenomenal- don't know how ppl are affording it *cross fingers with banks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 bptpooch

Hi guys,

First time posting to boards but I’ve followed the thread for a while and have read through previous mature student threads from different years etc.

Just wanted to say thanks to all those who posted over the years, all your advice and insight has been really helpful! :)

I got offered a place in RCSI and all things going well plan to start the 5-year course in September.

Advertisement