Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SaraT

borrch wrote: »
    julie2tubz wrote: »
    I'm certain the HPAT score doesn't matter once you get invited to send in rest of your documents with RCSI.

Do you think your PS was weak? It's just you seem to have everything they would want.... It's very confusing, I don't understand why you didn't get an interview. You probably have a better application than me, I have no previous degree.

borrch,
    congratulations on your interview, did you get a letter or an email from RCSI?

I also don't have a previous degree, and my HPAT score was weak, unlike yours... not looking forward to going home now

No interview for me either.
    Congrats to everyone who got one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

SaraT wrote: »
    No interview for me either.
    Congrats to everyone who got one :)

Sorry to hear that SaraT. It's an awful feeling.

It is. Will try again next year :)

Not even sure where to start to improve my odds

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nk2014

Hi guys,
    I have been following this thread for a while but I am a first time poster. I have got an email for RCSI on 14th of May. This is my first time applying. My HPAT score was nothing special, but I think my personal statement and references secured me an interview. I hope you guys are successful in other interviews. I would be truly devastated if I didn't get in this year, I literally only put RCSI on my CAO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Casper001

Hi julie2tubz I got a rejection letter from RCSI today... I think I will call and ask for feedback on my application. Was the feedback they gave you last year useful? Did you just ask to speak to someone in the admissions office? I was devastated when I saw the letter...hopefully next year will be better!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Teacake25

I totally agree NK2014, I have put all my hopes on RCSI and would be devastated if I didn't get in this year! Like you my HPAT was far from amazing but I think my PS & references secured me an interview. If you don't mind me asking, what is your background?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

borrch,
    congratulations on your interview, did you get a letter or an email from RCSI?

I also don't have a previous degree, and my HPAT score was weak, unlike yours... not looking forward to going home now

Hi Sara,

I got an email today as well as yesterday. I didn't receive anything in the post. Did you receive an interview? Best of luck with it, it really is a stressful time :(

Hi Sara,

I got an email today as well as yesterday. I didn't receive anything in the post. Did you receive an interview? Best of luck with it, it really is a stressful time :(

No I got a letter of doom :(
    My hpat wasn't great and I guess my PS did nothing either. Will try again next year, this was my trial run...stressful indeed
    Best of luck with your interviews

No I got a letter of doom :(
    My hpat wasn't great and I guess my PS did nothing either. Will try again next year, this was my trial run...stressful indeed
    Best of luck with your interviews

There's still UCC to aim for :-) I didn't get any interviews last year, but I got a lot of work experience in the hospital (about 35 weeks worth)

• Advertisement

There's still UCC to aim for :-) I didn't get any interviews last year, but I got a lot of work experience in the hospital (about 35 weeks worth)

That could be my biggest downfall, my medicine related experience was good few years ago. I volunteer with the ambulance service but I only started back in November. How did you manage to get a hospital work experience if you don't mind me asking?

I have a nursing background and a completing a M.Sc. so this may have helped, it's hard to know.

Sorry Teacake, my eyes are acting up, so excuse my typos. I really don't know what to expect as this is my first time. I have learned my personal statement off by heart at this stage.
    Is your interview Wednesday or Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Teacake25

My interview is on the Thursday afternoon. I have a similar background, currently working in a hospital as a pharmacist, just completed postgrad.
    40 people does seem like a lot to interview though, I was told last year they interviewed 30, so you had a 50:50 chance of getting a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gmmmmm

Good luck to all interviewees!
    I haven't gotten anything back yet, the poor post man tomorrow is gonna get the fright of his life when he sees me anxiously waiting for him at my doorstep!!! 🙈
    So, from what I have read this far, trinity, rcsi and Galway have sent their offers out, and cork have yet to send theirs?
    I feel like a should start studying for next years hpat already 😅

Gmmmmm wrote: »
    Good luck to all interviewees!
    I haven't gotten anything back yet, the poor post man tomorrow is gonna get the fright of his life when he sees me anxiously waiting for him at my doorstep!!! 🙈
    So, from what I have read this far, trinity, rcsi and Galway have sent their offers out, and cork have yet to send theirs?
    I feel like a should start studying for next years hpat already 😅

Hi Gmmmm,

RCSI only send letters to unsuccessful candidates. Have you checked your email? All interview offers went out by email only AFAIK

Hey borrch,

How to feel about upcoming interview? I'm glad to see other people here as I know I'm not the only one that will be feeling nervous!

Nk2014 wrote: »
    Hey borrch,

How to feel about upcoming interview? I'm glad to see other people here as I know I'm not the only one that will be feeling nervous!

Hi NK2014,

I feel fine about the RCSI interview, really its just a friendly chat to see if they like you or not. Best advice is not to get nervous and take a deep breath before answering any question :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

Hey All,

Congrats to everyone offered an interview and to everyone that was unlucky, don't give up! I said a while back that I would post about my experience of the interviews. I'm finished with my exams so if you have any questions I'll do my best to help.

RCSI interview

The whole interview is broken up into 3 parts, each of which are about 10-15 mins each.

In the first room we'll meet two doctors and they'll be asking you about your medical experience, why you want to study and why you've picked RCSI. They more or less just let me talked with a few questions here and there that came up about what I mentioned. They don't make many comments or give anything away tbh but dont let this put you off . Let them see your personality and talk about hobbies you might have or what you do with your free time. I think they like hearing that you have a balanced life between work and leisure. Most importantly tell them all the experience you have had, what you learned from these experiences and how they lead you to picking medicine. They are very interested in why you choose RCSI. Research the course line out and make sure you know what makes RSCI different from the other colleges.

In the second room we'll meet two doctors that are also lecturers. They will be asking you about your grades and academics. If you have past degree that had any medical/health related modules talk about them. If your degree wasn't science or health related talk about what made you move away from that topic to medicine and perhaps how you have/or plan on preparing yourself to taking on the new subject. Don't be afraid to also talk to them about any down falls in academics you may have, tbh i think they will ask about it. I think they want to know you have recognised that down fall, dealt with it and want to see you have taken steps to make sure it doesn't happen in the future.

In the third room you will be talking to someone from the admission office. They say this is not part of the interview but I would still act as if it just to be careful. Here they will ask you straight out if you are able to fund your way through college and are able to pay for the fees. If you are not sure about this yet, just tell them that you have it sorted. They don't want to offer people places that they think will have to drop out down the road because of finances. They also asked me if I had been offered interviews at the others college. They will know about this and also about the order you have picked the colleges on your CAO so DO NOT lie about this.

Trinity interview

This was the day after the RCSI interview. I think there was about 7/8 people on my interview panel. They range from the head of the school, head of first year, professors and the med schools admin. Only three of them asked me the questions really though and the others wrote notes. They asked similar questions, why medicine, why Trinity, talk about your medical experience. They were not as forward about the finances but they did mention them. They also asked me if there was any particular area of medicine I was interested in but I think that was only because I had talked about experiences I had shadowing in hospital.

UCC Interview

This interview was the day after the Trinity interview. I had a panel of 5 doctors that were also lecturers in the university. They also asked all the usually questions. Each one then went on to ask me a question each. I can't remember all of them but one of them was about the Medical Council and what they would expect of you. They were very interested in knowing if I knew the lay out of the course so make sure to look over that.

Galway interview

I was offered my places before I had this interview but I do know that it is in the format of MMIs. As far as I know, you will be presented with a problem or situation and then have to suggest how you would deal with them.

Another thing I would say about the Galway interviews is that last year Trinity, RSCI and Cork had all offered places before the Galway interviews even took place (last year the Galway interviews were around the 10th of June). If this is the same this year this means that people who have been offered an interview may have already been offered a place and then cancel their Galway interview. People may contacted later for interviews in these cases.

For all the interviews I would say stay calm and really do your best to show them your personality and how much you want a place. Talk about all your medical experiences and how this made you want to do medicine even more. Don't be afraid to talk about things like hobbies, they want to know you have a balanced life. If this isn't your first time applying, tell them that and tell them how have tried to improve your application and that you're determined to do your best to get a place.

Even when writing my application there were a few things I thought were very important and things I noticed that were needed in medicine. They were good communication skills, team work, determination, and a balanced life style. They also want to know you know what you are getting yourself into, the long hours, personal sacrifices etc etc. Try and talk about when you used these qualities and let them know that you are ready for the long term commitment.

At the end of each interview I was asked if I had any questions. Ask a question if you have one, but make sure its not one that you could get the answer to from the website.

I hope some of this helps. If anyone has any specific questions just let me know. It's a stressful time but it'll all be worth it in the end.

Best of luck everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gmmmmm

Wow thanks for the in depth tips on the interviews!!

Go n'eiri an t-adh libh!

• Advertisement

Best of luck to everyone who has a Trinity interview tomorrow :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 medican12

I'm a lurker coming out of hiding to post.

How did people find the Trinity interview today?

I thought they were nice enough. Questions were very general.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 golgi

Hey everyone, I've just been reading through this thread. Just wondering if any of you have considered going to Belfast to study. I'm currently at queens and love it up here. The fees are circa 4300 a year.

You have to apply via the UCAS system (analogous to the CAO) , it has a personal statement section and reference. MMI interview style. There are certain subject requirements such as at least a B in LC biology or have studied it at degree level.

You have to sit the UKCAT before October. It's a pretty straight forward exam that does not require much preparation.

Just an idea for anyone who hasn't been successful this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mand4990

Hi guys,

I'm also coming out of lurking I got an interview with royal college next thurs and am wondering what you guys are doing to prepare :-/! So nervous! It's so close yet so far from a place in med school.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Em_2014

TCD interview was very general and the panel were all really nice.
    I wonder when we will hear back from them, and is it by email or post? I really hope it is soon.

I have RCSI interview next week too. It's more than double the length of the TCD one, so thinking it won't be so nice!
    Mand4900- Fiddles44 has a great post above of what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Fiddles44

I think I heard back about a week after my interviews.RCSI and UCC will email you but for Trinity you get your offer through your tcd portal account.

Glad everyone found the Trinity interviews ok, good luck with the rest of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Em_2014

Thanks for all your help Fiddles44.
    Had forgotten about Trinity portal. Will keep an eye on it! Fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Traderdc

Anyone heard anything from UCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Yuri_

Best of luck folks! All keyed up with anticipation waiting for TCD interview results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 medican12

Yuri_ wrote: »
    Best of luck folks! All keyed up with anticipation waiting for TCD interview results.

I asked someone who got it last year. They were interviewed on the 14th and had heard back on the 21st. So thats 7 days.. time is ticking on the Trinity clock! :) Technically they'd have it Friday latest, if they were to go by last years schedule.

Advertisement