Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Thinking of getting one of these when I'm due an upgrade next week, currently have a One X.

One question, I read in a review that it picks up network signal better, the reviewer stated that he was able to get a signal in parts of his house where previous phones would not. Anyone have a similar experience? Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Using the phone for mild use cos I'm on hols in Portugal I got 3.5 days out of the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I find the battery to be decent, until you play a few graphically intense games. The phone gets pretty hot and eats battery, luckily, it charges very fast!

Loving the phone in general, coming from an iPhone it's a real pleasure to have the ability to personalise it with themes and icons. It's also better looking, not just aesthetically, but the screen just screams quality. Makes games and apps look richer, more vibrant. It's not stalled, or stuttered or lagged on me once yet. I also think the camera is underrated, it produces decent image quality and seems very good in low light situations. Unlike my old iPhone 5. That was a mess in anything but good clear lighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Had an issue recently with my phone calling my last dialled and opening Google Voice randomly. Turns out it was caused by the headphones I was using! Forget the name of them but I bought them in Tesco in the north.

Have used about 5 others pairs with no issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭sioda

Got my issue sorted the usb charging pin got moved from trying to plug it in the wrong way round seemingly so plugged in the charger half way and very slowly bent it down a smidge job done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

sioda wrote: »
    Got my issue sorted the usb charging pin got moved from trying to plug it in the wrong way round seemingly so plugged in the charger half way and very slowly bent it down a smidge job done
    How did you even manage to put it in the wrong way around? :x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

have an S5, considering changing to this.

anyone recommend it compared to S5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »

I would Think while it May be better than s5 there is no way the difference is enough to justify changing ,they are very similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Anyone else dislike the keyboard? Found it a pain in the arse for the last few months but changed to google keyboard and its much better IMO, not near as many mistakes or wrong auto corrects because of my chubby fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Anyone else dislike the keyboard? Found it a pain in the arse for the last few months but changed to google keyboard and its much better IMO, not near as many mistakes or wrong auto corrects because of my chubby fingers

SwiftKey ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »

If I was choosing between the two, I'd definitely go for the M8, but if you have already got the s5 I couldn't see the point in dropping more money to switch to the m8. Unless of course money means nothing to you. Though even in that scenario I'd hardly see the point

I second swiftkey best Android keyboard by a country mile

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Depends how you type. Stock is actually the best out there for swiping. Swiftkey would be the best if you're still in the land of tapping.

I think you might have that backwards :p

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

I'm a fairly heavy user, apps call ect. I have power saver on all the time and find battery life excellent.

I am however slightly disappointed with the screen quality, I work with phones on a daily basis and the Samsung alpha kicks its ass on the regard.

IP freely wrote: »
    I'm a fairly heavy user, apps call ect. I have power saver on all the time and find battery life excellent.

I am however slightly disappointed with the screen quality, I work with phones on a daily basis and the Samsung alpha kicks its ass on the regard.

Screen quality in what way?

Have to admit thats the first complaint about the screen on the M8 I've heard, granted its not an OLED like in the Sammys, but its still a top notch LCD, and as a result tends to look a bit more "natural". Sammys OLEDs tend to look a bit oversaturated at times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Agreed, of all the things, the screen is remarkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Perhaps you prefer the over saturated type displays that Samsung produce, there's quite a lot of people seem to think this means quality these days, unfortunately.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Screen quality in what way?

As in the vibrance of the colours in the screen, Have you seen a Samsung alpha screen or note 4 screen quality. The same video played on both screens beside each other (M8 and Note4) showed a big difference in quality, Now its not saying that the M8 is bad, i'm saying it's just not as good as either of those two devices if you ask me.

Its not the saturation either.

• Advertisement

54kroc wrote: »
    Perhaps you prefer the over saturated type displays that Samsung produce, there's quite a lot of people seem to think this means quality these days, unfortunately.

Nope it isn't due to over saturation they just seem superior screens. I take a lot of photos on DLSR camera and I hate over saturated / HDR type images.

As in the vibrance of the colours in the screen, Have you seen a Samsung alpha screen or note 4 screen quality. The same video played on both screens beside each other (M8 and Note4) showed a big difference in quality, Now its not saying that the M8 is bad, i'm saying it's just not as good as either of those two devices if you ask me.

Its not the saturation either.

Samsung amoleds are well known for having more vibrant colours, although not as true to life. It's generally a personal preference though. My main problem with the amoleds on the Samsung's I've owned is the 'ink blots' in the black, but that's another story.

When it comes to the main measurable features when comparing M8 to galaxy alpha, the M8 is brighter, bigger, and has a much higher ppi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Meesared wrote: »
    I think you might have that backwards :p

Nah man SwiftKey is **** with regards to swiping. It's predictions are awful. I like SwiftKey and stuck with it for a good while but it's swiping capabilities left a lot to be desired. Stock keyboard is working out far better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Basil3 wrote: »
    Samsung amoleds are well known for having more vibrant colours, although not as true to life.

Sounds like the phone equivalent of the loudness war.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The Alpha has a lesser res than the M8, so it might be your eyes. I directly compared the M8 screen to an iphone, and it was a clear winner. I was eyeing the Samsung when getting my M8, and looked upa tonne of reviews, I had no real preference. Completely neutral. And in every case the M8 was a clear winner. SO I don't know where you're getting that the Alpha is better?

Idleater wrote: »
    Sounds like the phone equivalent of the loudness war.

Haha....I had never heard of that. Interesting read, especially the references to Metallica, as I've listened to them since I was a teenager. Funny that people complain about Death Magnetic, when St. Anger was such a mess of noise, making any other album sound good, regardless of 'loudness'....anyway, I digress :D

I think the reality is that screens of all flagships are of a very high standard these days. I've been following the Note 4 closely, and there seems quite a few complaints of a colour shift when not viewing from straight ahead. No screen is perfect, but they're all pretty close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Does anyone know how to stop the autoplay on the M8 when connecting to car radio via Bluetooth? please? anyone? It is driving me mad!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I was trying to figure out about getting my meteor M8 unlcoked,turns out it wasn't even locked in the first place.

Just a heads up to anyone who may need it unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Would this phone be considered superior to the Samsung S5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Would this phone be considered superior to the Samsung S5?

Yes.

Advertisement