Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Settings > About > Software Updates

Thank you '40 minutes to update! Might speed up after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

Guys I'm interested in some honest opinions on the M8 camera, I've been looking to purchase a new phone for a while and I'm torn between the M8 or a Z2.. while I can get over the M8's lower pixel camera (since I only ever post pics to Facebook etc.) I'm a little worried about the over exposure complaints, is it that big of an issue when using it in the real world? can the exposure settings me adjusted down within the camera app to compensate for an over exposure? or has issues like this been fixed with a software update already since it was launched..

DC10555 wrote: »
    Guys I'm interested in some honest opinions on the M8 camera, I've been looking to purchase a new phone for a while and I'm torn between the M8 or a Z2.. while I can get over the M8's lower pixel camera (since I only ever post pics to Facebook etc.) I'm a little worried about the over exposure complaints, is it that big of an issue when using it in the real world? can the exposure settings me adjusted down within the camera app to compensate for an over exposure? or has issues like this been fixed with a software update already since it was launched..

Don't get the Z2 at the moment. The Z3 has been announced and will be on sale soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

If your in Cork you can test the camera on my one to see if your happy.

General concensus is that it's great for low light and moving objects. For Facebook etc, it's more than adequate.

The say that to get the most out of it, you need to play with the settings. I saw an article somewhere that HTC deliberately overexpose (can't remember the reasoning). You can manually change all settings though, so exposure can be dropped if you prefer.

I think i have sharpness slightly reduced, exposure slightly reduced, and saturation increased slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The camera is better than I expected it would be. I do photography, and own a dslr with some nice lenses, the camera on a phone doesn't really bother me much as I don't 'need' it. But I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality. I know mp count doesn't mean everything, but it can help. So far I've taken some pics at my daughter's birthday party in low light, blowing out candles and that kind of thing, and some outdoor shots. Some images were over exposed, there is exp compensation to counter - and also a 'Manual' mode, which isn't too shabby for a phone. You can adjust ISO, shutter speed and white balance. There's some gimmicks on there too that are a bit of fun to play with.

Honestly, looking at the images standard size, not zooming in or pixel peeping, it's better than average for a phone cam. The front facing cam is actually one of the highest res ones out there atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Here's a pic or two from my M8 to give you an idea

10609453_10154480336230307_7933690708780226653_n.jpg?oh=87e49eba1a06a53b7760e9d3eacb6596&oe=54C56C65&__gda__=1422071088_641a0ac00bc975ac3d5b9a30c40e03b0

62495_10154279001605307_1538584785902298310_n.jpg?oh=03ca4013042a488a27b78219012d0f8f&oe=54C16A6E

Here's a few straight from the phone, no edits. I have the cam set to -1 ev for auto mode [though I'll mostly be using Manual for better exposures] as I do find it blows highlights in auto. I almost always have Lightroom open working on something or other, so a few seconds tweaking on them can spring them to life a bit. Not the best examples maybe, but anything else so far has just been pic's of the kids messing about ... and the cats ...

NtgyHgt.jpg

j2yChiw.jpg

W5ROgXz.jpg

Quick example of a 10-second booster in LR5 on the first grass image - Just a quick crop [which I could have one on phone] - boost of contrast and adjustment of exposure, to make it less 'flat' and a minor boost of clarity. Again, you can pretty much do this on the phone using all kinds of quick edit apps. The camera app itself allows cropping, straightening and other minor tweaks as is.
    oZS6LUq.jpg

Thank you for the advice guys and especially to those who posted the camera samples, I ended up getting the M8 and I'm in love it's such a beautiful phone and the sense android experience is awesome, HTC have won me over as a customer if they continue to keep this standard of phone up.

The only thing I've been screwed with is data speeds, I picked up this handset on eMobile (3G plan) and I'm only getting 0.5Mbs download speed on the network when performing a speed test in the center of Athlone and I also did a test in Dublin on O'Connell Street but have the same issues, If I restart the phone sometimes it will go up to a normal speed of 7Mbs with full HSPA coverage which is great but the speed trickles down to 0.5 over time again.

My question is, does anyone else have the M8 on eMobile? if so what speeds are you getting? and for those on other networks what speeds are you getting? I was on O2 for over 5 years and it was very rare I had slow 3G issues averaging usable speeds of 3+Mbs and when I did have slow speeds it was generally due to the area I was in.

Thank you for the advice guys and especially to those who posted the camera samples, I ended up getting the M8 and I'm in love it's such a beautiful phone and the sense android experience is awesome, HTC have won me over as a customer if they continue to keep this standard of phone up.

The only thing I've been screwed with is data speeds, I picked up this handset on eMobile (3G plan) and I'm only getting 0.5Mbs download speed on the network when performing a speed test in the center of Athlone and I also did a test in Dublin on O'Connell Street but have the same issues, If I restart the phone sometimes it will go up to a normal speed of 7Mbs with full HSPA coverage which is great but the speed trickles down to 0.5 over time again.

My question is, does anyone else have the M8 on eMobile? if so what speeds are you getting? and for those on other networks what speeds are you getting? I was on O2 for over 5 years and it was very rare I had slow 3G issues averaging usable speeds of 3+Mbs and when I did it was generally due to the area I was in.

It all depends on your area. Where I live, I have gotten over 60Mb with vodafone 4G, but I have seen other networks a lot slower. But somewhere else vodafone might be the slower network. Most networks have coverage maps on their websites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I've 4G on Meteor, my speeds are better than my fixed broadband :D

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I've 4G on Meteor, my speeds are better than my fixed broadband :D

Yea, I've an option to upgrade to a 4G plan it just means I'm in the contract longer, given that you're on Meteor who share towers with eMobile I might just give it a go. I still retain my rights to cancel the contract if it remains slow I guess..

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Here's a pic or two from my M8 to give you an idea

10609453_10154480336230307_7933690708780226653_n.jpg?oh=87e49eba1a06a53b7760e9d3eacb6596&oe=54C56C65&__gda__=1422071088_641a0ac00bc975ac3d5b9a30c40e03b0

62495_10154279001605307_1538584785902298310_n.jpg?oh=03ca4013042a488a27b78219012d0f8f&oe=54C16A6E

Your pics look like they have a bit of ghosting/haziness. Have you tried cleaning the oleophobic coating off the camera lens?

The what?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    The what?

It's the coating on the camera lens to stop fingerprints etc. It gets fine scratches really easily, and makes your pics look like cr*p

http://www.cultofandroid.com/65721/dab-toothpaste-need-remove-scratches-htc-one-m8s-camera-lens/

I wouldn't do anything so drastic unless I was certain that the lens coating was duffed. Once the coating is gone, the next scratch you get will be on the lens itself, and won't be removable.

Took a pic using mine just this morning, on the school run:

15366503456_f2f2f685f8_c.jpgorbweaver by Cagey75, on Flickr

No edits of any kind, straight off the phone. The slight haziness is actually because it was still foggy out here at 8:50

I wouldn't do anything so drastic unless I was certain that the lens coating was duffed. Once the coating is gone, the next scratch you get will be on the lens itself, and won't be removable.

Took a pic using mine just this morning, on the school run:

No edits of any kind, straight off the phone. The slight haziness is actually because it was still foggy out here at 8:50

I honestly don't think the lens will scratch, nor do I think this coating offers any kind of protection. I've owned the last 6 or so HTC flagships, and this is the first time I have noticed this fine scratching due to the coating. I think HTC just messed up.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think the lens will scratch, nor do I think this coating offers any kind of protection. I've owned the last 6 or so HTC flagships, and this is the first time I have noticed this fine scratching due to the coating. I think HTC just messed up.

I guess once you're not prone to putting the phone without a cover in a pocket with keys or coins it would be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Hi all, microphone on the phone just failed. Rang a couple of people and had a shouting match as we both tried to reach each other. "HELLO HELLO CAN YOU HEAR ME!" etc etc

Anyone have a similar issue?

acurno wrote: »
    Hi all, microphone on the phone just failed. Rang a couple of people and had a shouting match as we both tried to reach each other. "HELLO HELLO CAN YOU HEAR ME!" etc etc

Have mine a month, no issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No bendgate for the M8? :)

Interesting comparison of the pressure needed to bend several recent phones models (including the M8)

(Disclaimer - I have an M8, I love it, and I have no intention of bending it!)

M8 users don't wear tight jeans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

acurno wrote: »

Yes, had that problem develop with my unit alright. Repaired twice and problem returned, got a replacement unit last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

Having a maddening issue with my m8 for no reason it switches to car mode and calls to speaker. Also main ringtone randomly plays but no call is incoming.

Anyone else experience this?

Any and all help welcome. Going to a back up and restore to see if this fixes it.

I get the odd alert even though nothing comes on screen, bar that I've had no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I have to say mines been working fantastically.

Are you on the latest software and firmware ?

I know certain operators (cough : 3) seem very slow to rollout updates.

sioda wrote: »
    Having a maddening issue with my m8 for no reason it switches to car mode and calls to speaker. Also main ringtone randomly plays but no call is incoming.

Anyone else experience this?

Any and all help welcome. Going to a back up and restore to see if this fixes it.

There was an issue a few months ago where Chrome was causing calls to go to speaker phone (weird, I know). I'm sure this was solved in an update to Chrome, though.

You haven't got your device wet at all, have you? No problems with rotation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

If it goes to car mode rotation goes 360. Tried the chrome fix no joy.

Nope no water

Firmware all up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Any1 having trouble with the speakers bottom one making an awful cracking sound when anything played through it. Don't want to have to bring it in to be fixed and be with out it for weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

For anyone who's had any similar Mic / Earphone jack issues to me, I finally reverted my M8 totally back to stock and dropped it into an O2 store. They sent it off to SBE in the UK who have tested it and it would appear that they're going to replace it with a totally new handset:

IoiSvna.jpg

Unless I'm reading that incorrectly, of course... Anyone familiar with SBE and how they manage their notes etc.?

Advertisement