Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Cheers for the details - that's bad luck, although I story I feel I've heard before with the M8, unfortunately!

I'm due an upgrade on the account and I'm nearly considering going for it and getting the M8 again, then sending the "old" one off for repair and just proceeding using the new one. When the replacement comes back, I'll confirm it's working and sell it on (then put any profit towards the M9 or whatever handset I choose next in the next 6-9 months or whatever).

Might sound like madness, but I normally upgrade my phone when the upgrade comes along and then sell on the old model (which is usually pretty new, all things considered) to balance the cost. If you can get into this rhythm, you break even or more often then note make a little money and stay up to date wit the latest model.

I really do like everything else about the M8. I just hope these mic issues fall by the wayside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Dinosaur Controller

Woke up to a Zoe update.... Seems cool. Not sure how much I'll use it though! Still, it's a nice feature.

By the way, has anyone noticed blinkfeed using a lot if battery resources? I mean the launcher as I have the blinkfeed feed disabled..if you get me...

It's using the most of any apps - 21%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Now that I check it yes it's high on the list this morning

Might go back to Nova and compare usage.

• Advertisement

F**k you BlinkFeed

Deleted it updates and cut its allowances and it put my screens back to what you'd get if you factory reset your phone

corkgsxr wrote: »
    F**k you BlinkFeed

Deleted it updates and cut its allowances and it put my screens back to what you'd get if you factory reset your phone

Yep. Happened to me last week!

I probably should've mentioned it. :(

By the way, has anyone noticed blinkfeed using a lot if battery resources? I mean the launcher as I have the blinkfeed feed disabled..if you get me...

It's using the most of any apps - 21%.
    Now that I check it yes it's high on the list this morning

You have to realise that BlinkFeed is prism - i.e. it is HTC Sense Launcher. It doesn't necessarily mean BlinkFeed where you read articles.

Basil3 wrote: »
    You have to realise that BlinkFeed is prism - i.e. it is HTC Sense Launcher. It doesn't necessarily mean BlinkFeed where you read articles.

I know. As I said, I had disabled bthe blinkfeed - feed.

I know. As I said, I had disabled bthe blinkfeed - feed.

Yeah, so its completely normal for it to be the highest user....especially if you're not using your phone heavily. I guess you would have an idea based on what percentage you normally get for BlinkFeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, so its completely normal for it to be the highest user....especially if you're not using your phone heavily. I guess you would have an idea based on what percentage you normally get for BlinkFeed.
    Funny, mine is only using 0.7%

• Registered Users Posts: 55,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just did Sunshine, Super CID, updated the firmware and I'm just setting up my apps on Venom 2.1.

Surprisingly painless.

Is it worth switching from Dalvik to ART? Any downsides?

Mr E wrote: »
    Just did Sunshine, Super CID, updated the firmware and I'm just setting up my apps on Venom 2.1.

Surprisingly painless.

Is it worth switching from Dalvik to ART? Any downsides?

Well if you don't flash extra mods, then go for ART and see what you think.

Plus sides to ART: faster loading of apps (which personally I couldn't notice), better battery life (which I couldn't notice either)

Down sides: If you flash a mod which wipes cache, your phone will take 15+ minutes to reboot and rebuild cache (I've removed the wipe from most of my mods now, but it's not ideal). People have reported the camera freezing on ART. Also, you can't use Xposed with ART (not that I do anyway)

For me, the downsides far outweigh the up, so I'm staying on Dalvik.

Meesared wrote: »
    Funny, mine is only using 0.7%

How much of the time does you phone spend connected with mobile or WiFi

After 5 hours use my BlinkFeed is 11% but spent 5 hours with data on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

How much of the time does you phone spend connected with mobile or WiFi

After 5 hours use my BlinkFeed is 11% but spent 5 hours with data on
    100% of the time, i have data always on be it wifi or mobile data

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Anyone got 4.4.3 yet? I have a factory unlocked version from the UK, nothing so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Nothing on mine. SIM free French market version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Anyone having problems getting their PC to recognize the M8? Am trying to root but can't get the pc to see the phone so I can do this

What do you mean recognise? Just to access the storage on the phone, or are you trying to use ADB/Fastboot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Just got my M8 yesterday and liking it so far. Just wondering, there is a lot of talk about rooting etc, why would one root a phone? I use it mainly for internet, music, camera every now and then and obviously calls and texts. I use Nova launcher for messing with the home screen, dock, etc. I'd root if I thought I needed to. Should I root it or just leave it?

• Advertisement

What do you mean recognise? Just to access the storage on the phone, or are you trying to use ADB/Fastboot?

Trying to use ADB/Fastboot. It's not showing up as a device. I have USB debugging ticked etc

I've always found it difficult to get ADB working. I got it working for my previous phone (HTC One X) and current phone (HTC One M8) by installing PDANet.

Whatever way it's setup, it just installs drivers PROPERLY - ADB worked straight away on both phones.

Here is where I found out about it - http://www.droidiser.com/2012/11/how-to-install-drivers-for-any-android.html

The version linked on that page isn't the latest - go here instead.

I've always found it difficult to get ADB working. I got it working for my previous phone (HTC One X) and current phone (HTC One M8) by installing PDANet.

Whatever way it's setup, it just installs drivers PROPERLY - ADB worked straight away on both phones.

Here is where I found out about it - http://www.droidiser.com/2012/11/how-to-install-drivers-for-any-android.html

Nice one, I'll give that a go when I get home. Its strange cos I have rooted about 4 previous HTC phones with the same laptop and never had this problem. Am wondering if I should try and uninstall all the adb and fastboot stuff on it and start again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Just got my M8 yesterday and liking it so far. Just wondering, there is a lot of talk about rooting etc, why would one root a phone? I use it mainly for internet, music, camera every now and then and obviously calls and texts. I use Nova launcher for messing with the home screen, dock, etc. I'd root if I thought I needed to. Should I root it or just leave it?

I rooted every phone I had for a long time. Rooting was necessary as Android was very much a work in progress and older phones needed to be rooted to make proper use of SD cards etc. I tried all sorts of ROMs as they were significantly better than what came on the phone.

I now have a HTC One M7 and have never seen the need to root it. Android 4.4 is a very smooth OS and Sense 6 is an excellent overlay. I try other launchers from time to time for variety but I just don't se the need to go tinkering under the bonnet any more. I also haven't rooted my Nexus 7.

Nice one, I'll give that a go when I get home. Its strange cos I have rooted about 4 previous HTC phones with the same laptop and never had this problem. Am wondering if I should try and uninstall all the adb and fastboot stuff on it and start again?

Nah, try PDANet first. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Anyone receive it hear when 4.4.3 is being released...

1jcdub wrote: »
    Anyone receive it hear when 4.4.3 is being released...

About 2 weeks i think

About 2 weeks i think

The communication from HTC UK /Europe had been very poor compared to the US which been very accurate with the time frame.

About 2 weeks i think

The communication from HTC UK /Europe had been very poor compared to the US which been very accurate with the time frame.

• Advertisement

Hey mate, thanks very much for that. Got it working last nite and phone now fully rooted and Custom ROM installed. It was wrecking my head not having full access to the SD card

Advertisement