Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

RayM wrote: »
    "your such a looser"

I don't understand why so many adults basically have sub-primary school levels of literacy. If you can't tell the difference between 'have' and 'of' you should be ashamed of yourself.

Like I posted above, I often write loose instead of lose and vice versa even though I do know the difference. It's something my brain just seems to get confused on for some reason.

And I try not to get sanctimonious on grammar and spelling like many do because I've never known a grammar correcter who hasn't fúcked up themselves at some stage. Like, never. In fact, the most vocal correcters often get things wrong, I find.

In fact, I've just noticed an enthusiastic poster on this thread make a very basic grammar error in another thread. And this poster has made the mistake twice in one post so it's not a typo. Doesn't matter who it is, just made me smile. :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I know someone who pronounces 'advertisement' like the is in the middle is pronounced like 'is' as in "Mary is going to the shop". :confused:

Is he/she on a commit-TEE? They usually go together!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

/now crushing on heidi heidi by dint of her Shaolin Mastery of Joke Fu

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Treads about spelling annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

endacl wrote: »
    Treads about spelling annoy me.

This one isn't about spelling.

• Advertisement

I know someone who pronounces 'advertisement' like the is in the middle is pronounced like 'is' as in "Mary is going to the shop". :confused:

Nothing wrong with that. It is one of the accepted standard pronunciations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

Nothing wrong with that. It is one of the accepted standard pronunciations.

See, this is a good example of why many of these annoyances are actually grand, I never knew that was an accepted pronunciation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

don't have a problem with any of it.
    do have a problem with people who find fault in others. no point to it really.

See, this is a good example of why many of these annoyances are actually grand, I never knew that was an accepted pronunciation!

There are certainly hundreds, maybe thousands of words with more than one accepted standard pronunciation. I don't regard it as any sort of annoyance. They regularly make their way on to these sorts of threads (and there have been many of these threads) with some people insisting that their preferred form is the only correct one. Scone anyone?

Even worse in other threads some people tried to insist that other people don't know how to pronounce their own family name e.g. Cahill, Gallagher, by saying only the Irish form is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I and my parents pronounce digital as digical ,, drives 'herself' mad !
    I Don't think its too bad atall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Always fascinated by the American pronunciation of "nuclear". To me it should be "noo-cle-ar". They tend to say "new-klar".
    The other one is "remuneration" vs "renumeration".

cjmc wrote: »
    I and my parents pronounce digital as digical ,, drives 'herself' mad !
    I Don't think its too bad atall.

Be careful. That word has been copyrighted.

http://www.digical.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

garancafan wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garancafan View Post
    As a denizen of Templeogue myself, I would be interested to know if that is "are" the plural of "be" or "are" 100 square meters.

The first rhymes with "bar", the second with "bare"

Plural of be?:confused:

It's are rhyming with bar - sure you most likely say it that way yourself!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Oh the old 'advertisement' pronunciation debate.:D

I've heard 3 pronunciations of which only 2 are 'accepted'.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/advertisement?q=advertisement

and

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/advertisement?q=advertisement

The other pronunciation is quite close to the standard English pronunciation except the intonation/emphasis is different. Possibly it's what Ann Landers was referring to. I've only ever heard this in rural areas.

Think of the contraction 'tis (short for 'it is') place it between 'adver' and 'ment' putting a small emphasis on the tis syllable.

If this is the pronunciation the you were referring to then yes I find it a bit odd and I've never heard it in any thought/accepted pronunciations.

GUIGuy wrote: »
    Oh the old 'advertisement' pronunciation debate.:D

I've heard 3 pronunciations of which only 2 are 'accepted'.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/advertisement?q=advertisement

and

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/advertisement?q=advertisement

The other pronunciation is quite close to the standard English pronunciation except the intonation/emphasis is different. Possibly it's what Ann Landers was referring to. I've only ever heard this in rural areas.

Think of the contraction 'tis (short for 'it is') place it between 'adver' and 'ment' putting a small emphasis on the tis syllable.

If this is the pronunciation the you were referring to then yes I find it a bit odd and I've never heard it in any thought/accepted pronunciations.

Here is a link with audio for 3 different pronunciations. That doesn't prove anything, people are free to use whatever form they like and other people can regard some of them as being incorrect. However the link does seem to say that the "is" version is standard British English and the "ise" version is American.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=advertisement&submit=Submit

Another mispronunciation is Electra-city. That's common in the north.

Hi, that link is useful but the pronunciation I'm taking about isn't one of those. It's a bit like the British but there's a strong emphasis is on the t is tis. In the standard British pronunciation we draw out the 'ver' a tiny little bit.

Strangely on the remunerate/renumerate debate. Some sites list renumerate as simply a misspelling of remunerate.

To me they were always separate words. Enumerate means to count renumerate means to recount. The distinction is common in software development where you don't want to recount lists needlessly... and enumeration is a specific form of iteration.

Strangely on the remunerate/renumerate debate. Some sites list renumerate as simply a misspelling of remunerate.

To me they were always separate words. Enumerate means to count renumerate means to recount. The distinction is common in software development where you don't want to recount lists needlessly... and enumeration is a specific form of iteration.

According to my Chambers dictionary they are not related. Enumerate comes from the Latin for number, whereas remunerate comes for the Latin for gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Enumerate means to count renumerate means to recount. The distinction is common in software development where you don't want to recount lists needlessly... and enumeration is a specific form of iteration.
    I'd say that would be either re-enumerate or reenumerate. Renumerate is indeed just a (common) misspelling and mispronunciation of remunerate.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    I'd say that would be either re-enumerate or reenumerate. Renumerate is indeed just a (common) misspelling and mispronunciation of remunerate.

Also listed under the sense to count in some dictionaries. And it has a long history.

http://www.onelook.com/?w=renumerate&ls=a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

a/ We were sat at the bus stop when it started to rain . . . . .

b/ I was stood in the front row of the gig!

a and b really annoy me, but I guess 'll just have to live with this new form of 'non standard English' :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

"I'll revert to you"

No, you ****ing won't. You never were me and clearly our life experience has been markedly different if you've never been introduced to a ****ing dictionary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I heard a woman on the RTE news last week talking about the 'Treath' to her way of life, living on a canal barge :))

I have heard heigth (meaning height) before, but its the 1st time I've ever heard treath (meaning threat).

Fascinating.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Bump for UPC's "exTRAWdinary" horizon. Urge to kill rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

I don't know anyone outside my immediate family who pronounces "taught" correctly.

Even my English teacher says "thought".

By far the worst two are "I seen" and "I done". Being incapable of conjugating two of the most common verbs in your first language is generally a good indication you're an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

LordSutch wrote: »
    a/ We were sat at the bus stop when it started to rain . . . . .

b/ I was stood in the front row of the gig!

a and b really annoy me, but I guess 'll just have to live with this new form of 'non standard English' :cool:

I hate it too. It's slowly setting in here and becoming the norm. Everyone watching those brain rot English soaps, the worst one them being Eastenders, where non of them can speak properly innit. Phew Mitchew

Bump for UPC's "exTRAWdinary" horizon. Urge to kill rising.

Hate that smug pretty boy.
    Oh and that "fibre powered broadbandge" with Yvonne from Fair City doing the voiceover.
    Try saying "fibre powerered broadband" fast five times.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mrpdap

People saying "should have went" instead of "should have gone".
    You even hear it on the radio.

• Advertisement

I've seen in several chippers.....

batter sausage

Advertisement