Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

mrpdap wrote: »
    People saying "should have went" instead of "should have gone".
    You even hear it on the radio.

How about writing "should of went"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

LordSutch wrote: »
    a/ We were sat at the bus stop when it started to rain . . . . .

b/ I was stood in the front row of the gig!

a and b really annoy me, but I guess 'll just have to live with this new form of 'non standard English' :cool:

Our walking-tour guide realised we had no rain-gear so we were sat at the bus stop when it started to rain.

The usher saw that my seat gave a poor view and I appreciated his kindness when I was stood in the front row of the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I learned to use "to" as a relative preposition e.g. "relative to", "different to", so it bugs me when I see people saying things like "my hair is different than yours" or "they are different from each other". I always say "different to" in such cases.

I've tried looking this up, and online sources including Oxford Dictionaries seem to indicate that they're all OK. But I still feel that "from" or "than" don't go after "different". "Larger than" or "derived from" is fine, but not "different than" or "different from".

PS: it annoys me when folks talk about e.g. "the adds on TV". There's only one "d" in "advertisement", so there's only one "d" in its contraction: "ads".

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"I seen". Jesus. There's a full stop there so this isn't a religious vision.

It's not just an Irish thing either. I've read it on UK and US forums as well.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

garancafan wrote: »
    Our walking-tour guide realised we had no rain-gear so we were sat at the bus stop when it started to rain.

The usher saw that my seat gave a poor view and I appreciated his kindness when I was stood in the front row of the gig.

This is grammatically correct, and fair play for realising that, but the vast majority of people aren't using it like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

garancafan wrote: »

Our walking-tour guide realised we had no rain-gear so we were seated at the bus stop when it started to rain.

There's a difference between "to sit" and "to seat".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

'Could of.'

Maybe when you hear people saying it they're trying to say could've?

mike_ie wrote: »
    "pacific" for "specific", (as in "How long will it take to fix this pacific problem?").

Blame the Donegal Catch ad ;)

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Maybe when you hear people saying it they're trying to say could've?

Yeah, there have been a few mentioned so far that could be written off to local accent or pronunciation (unless seen written down of course) - taught/thought, could of/could've etc....

Oooh affect & effect, very irritating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Why are words the way they are anyway, can you not say them the way you want to. I mean does paper refuse ink, how do we know the dictionary is correct.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why are words the way they are anyway, can you not say them the way you want to.

To facilitate effective communication

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

City is not sissy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

bluewolf wrote: »
    To facilitate effective communication

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/43772690.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

osarusan wrote: »
    This is grammatically correct, and fair play for realising that, but the vast majority of people aren't using it like that.

No it is not correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

APEARantly

It's apparently you arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Bet instead of beat. ie "Manchester Utd bet Newcastle"

The car make Peugeot when people call it Pewjo it's actually Purr-show ask the French,they make 'em:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

ezra_pound wrote: »
    No it is not correct.

Prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

'Troath' (e.g. 'I have a sore troath') instead of 'throat'. At least if they said 'troat' it would be because they couldn't pronounce 'th', but 'troath' is just infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Steve F wrote: »
    Bet instead of beat. ie "Manchester Utd bet Newcastle"

The car make Peugeot when people call it Pewjo it's actually Purr-show ask the French,they make 'em:)

er...no it's not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

FOR ALL INTENSIVE PURPOSES.

Don't use phrases you don't understand, and you can avoid this easily. I hate you.

Also, I don't doubt it came up before, but I am not wading through 17 pages to check. And it bears repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ezekel

I am the last one that should call people out on grammar but people who use dem der or dats drives me mad

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

Me and (name).

It's (name) and I.

FOR ALL INTENSIVE PURPOSES.

Don't use phrases you don't understand, and you can avoid this easily. I hate you.

Also, I don't doubt it came up before, but I am not wading through 17 pages to check. And it bears repeating.

Damn, I was hoping you had spelt it as bares. :(

therealme wrote: »
    Me and (name).

It's (name) and I.

What about me, myself and I?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Lab-top....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Damn, I was hoping you had spelt it as bares. :(

Oh, I read it back twice, just to be sure. This is not the thread in which to be caught slipping.

Advice and advise used improperly, apostrophe abuse, alot and cue/que for queue, and one I saw today - human beans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dirtyden

The use of wreaked for wrecked. I have seen that from a lot of people.

It does not annoy me as such it just looks wrong.

Advertisement