Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Ring4Fea wrote: »
    Maybe some of them are yanks from Baltimore Maryland in the States, where they pronounce it that way?

Like the yank city of Brisbane which they pronounce "Briz-BAYYYYNE" as opposed to "BRZ-buhn".
    The people I hear saying are not Yanks most of them have never been to America.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One of the most ironic ones is people boasting that they went to 'collage' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Technically its spelling rather than pronunciation/grammar, but I'd just like to mention discrete and discreet.

I once read a draft of some academic paper where the typist had 'corrected' causal to casual. The sentence made no sense then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Pronounciation of "ions" as "ins"

Millins. :(:(

Closely followed by intentional RTE-isms "conTROversy" and "finANce".

They are not RTE-isms. They are standard pronunciations. Lots of words have more than one standard pronunciation. Check your examples out here.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=controversy&submit=Submit

wispa9 wrote: »
    It's more often a misspelling than mispronunciation, but "defiantly" for "definitely" :mad:

I definitely have never heard defiantly used in speech where definitely was correct. So in my experience it is always a misspelling and never a mispronunciation.

Similarly people who complain about lose/loose are also in the wrong thread. I have never heard loose used in speech where lose was correct. Did you ever hear someone say something like "I was afraid Ireland would loose the game"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

calling a balcony a bankley ,

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

I'm lurning so much about grammar today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Anyone from templeogue reading this - the country you live in is pronounced eye-r-land not fúcking are-land. That's where my missus is from and her, her family, her friends - everyone I know from around there pronounces it are-land - WTF??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Am i the only one who didn't realise Irregardless was wrong? :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Anyone from templeogue reading this - the country you live in is pronounced eye-r-land not fúcking are-land. That's where my missus is from and her, her family, her friends - everyone I know from around there pronounces it are-land - WTF??

:o

In my defence, I've never heard anyone irish saying eye-er-land!
    Sounds american

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It's not eye-r-land, it's ire-land!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

"near miss" gets me going. It must a hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Every time I hear someone say "amn't" I die a little inside.

"dunkey" instead of "donkey"

"Chicargo" instead of "Chicago"

"Lurry" instead of "lorry"

RAGE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I know that it's standard practice on most internet forums (fora!!) that a person's grammatical errors are not corrected but I just wondering where that originated? And to boot any person doing the correcting is called a "grammar Nazi", which I think is OTT myself.

I read quite quickly - always have. Because of this I find my reading being stalled by these mistakes because the sense is gone from the sentence/paragraph. I am talking about the more usual offenders here, like apostrophes in wrong place (i.e. not at all or as a pluralisation of a word, etc.) and :

they're, their, there
    you're, your
    could of, would of,
    his, he's, hers, it's, its, etc.

I am sure I make lots of grammatical errors myself but I have to say that I find the more common ones extremely annoying and interfering. Especially I suppose as those listed above are words that are in such common usage.

Sorry if this is off-topic!

RAGE!

What do you think of people who say "munkey" instead of "monkey"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭paulbok

txt spk on emails/ forums really grind my gears.

This is from an English speaker on a community forum;
    "plenty or spaces wer i park, an ive no bother movin me car 4 any1 dat wud need a space but i wnt b riskin me car bein damaged again by sum incompetent eejit dat cant park a car".

Some of the posts make even less sense than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

RAGE!
    Amn't isn't a mistake, it's a bona fide word in it's own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Specific vs Pacific

Example:

Them: I was in the shop the other day but they didn't have the shirt I wanted, there were other nice shirts there but I wanted a pacific one.

Me: What you wanted an Ocean shirt what exactly is that? Is there a picture of the Pacific Ocean on it?

Them: No I wanted a particular one

Me: Oh you wanted a Specific one

Them: That's what I said

Me: No you said you wanted a Pacific one

Them: You know what I meant.

Me: Yeah you are retarded

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

it's own right.
    geeksauce wrote: »
    there were other nice one's there

To answer the thread title: apostrophe abuse.
    Not as bad as the ambiguous errors though. I'm weary of going to the park at night. My fiancee is a great man.

Specific vs Pacific

Example:

Them: I was in the shop the other day but they didn't have the shirt I wanted, there were other nice one's there but I wanted a pacific one.

Me: What you wanted an Ocean shirt what exactly is that? Is there a picture of the Pacific Ocean on it?

Them: No I wanted a particular one

Me: Oh you wanted a Specific one

Them: That's what I said

Me: No you said you wanted a Pacific one

Them: You know what I meant.

Me: Yeah you are retarded

Nice one's ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sunhill

People who confuse 'fewer' and 'less'.
    Fewer is for number, less is for quantity, weight, quality and everything else.
    "Fewer cows mean less milk" ('less cows' would mean animals which were inferior in some way to other particular cows.)
    "Fewer hours worked earns less money (or fewer Euro!)"
    Problem has arisen because 'more' is the opposite of both 'fewer' and 'less'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

A D4 head is standing at a bus-stop waiting on a bus. A skanger walks up to the stop and asks the D4 head "Wha' time is de next bus comin' a' ?".
    The D4 head rolls his eyes and says "Tut, tut. Don't you know it is wrong to end a sentence with a preposition?"
    The skanger just looks at him and says "Wha' time is de next bus comin' a', ya c*nt?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'm asked for Refuge bags all the time.

I refuse to sell refuse bags to people who call them refuge bags

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Scartbeg wrote: »
    Jeep - instead of "4 by 4" or SUV. Foreigners shake their heads at this one.
    I suppose its the equivalent of "hoover" as a generic appellation for all vacuum cleaners, just doesn't exist in other English speaking countries.

'Jeep' was a term for the vehicle we call a jeep before it became a brand name. Also, since it's an American term, I don't think you can blame the Irish for its generic use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

RayM wrote: »
    I don't understand why so many adults basically have sub-primary school levels of literacy. If you can't tell the difference between 'have' and 'of' you should be ashamed of yourself.

This. A thousand times this. Of all the common mistakes this is the worst in my view. It's putting a word into the sentence which has no business being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

People not knowing the difference between being and been.

Nice one's ??

Nice shirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I used to work with a guy who had a habit of saying, isn't it not...e.g. 'It's great to work here, isn't it not.'
    It used to annoy me, maybe that was because I didn't like him very much anyway.

Nice shirts

So should that be nice shirt's ?

• Advertisement

So should that be nice shirt's ?

W'hy d,ont' yo'u t,ell m!e yo'u see'm to b'e a'n exp,'''r...,t..,.,,.,.,,

Advertisement