Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

"Fink" for "think". Unless you're Sir Michael f--king Caine making fun of you own iconic "Alfie" type roles, your teeth and tongue are there to help you do more than make mentally deficient noises with your tongue ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

There are several instances of deliberate mispronunciation, particularly in the media.

Pronouncing t as an s or a double s. City as Sissy as an example
    I blame the faux D4 accent. FFS even people who are from D4 don't speak like that. It's mostly turf cutters up from the country who want to sound like Dubs who put on that accent.

When Brian Cox, who can explain who dark matter might stop you from becoming a stretched piece of taffy, can not stop adding a useless syllable at the end of 'thing'. e.g. saying 'Thing-geh'. Or 'Ring-geh'.

I don’t mind if people ask me for the "toiyme" (time). But if they then say it's toiyme to buy a lime, not a loiyme, the Harry Potter Daemon of Inconsistency is coming to poor cayenne powder underneath their tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Ring4Fea wrote: »
    Ring-geh'.

Ring/gee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 junglejungle

Ranelagh pronounced Renelagh.

It's spelt with an 'A', not an 'E'.

I'm not even sure which one is correct since a lot of the people living there get it wrong

Ring/gee.

Was more of a 'guh' or 'geh' sound on his science documentaries, to my ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jonnyha

championc wrote: »
    Too right. I recently pointed out about 6 mistakes in one paragraph which was posted on a thread on Boards.

The post was deleted and I got a warning for basically picking on the poster

"...THAT was posted..."

Ur wellcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

'Could of.'

Does my head in, although I'm not usually a grammar Nazi.

I find myself regularly wanting to correct my boyfriend when he uses 'your' instead of 'you're,' too. :o

Just curious, how do you spot him not pronouncing his ' ?

jonnyha wrote: »
    "...THAT was posted..."

Ur wellcome.

Triple points! It's like a Kripke moment from Big Bang Theory. /ovation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Done instead of did ?

Bean instead of been.

Could be writing here all night ............:D

Devil's Advocate: I love "eeeeeeeeeedjit" when it comes out of the mouth of a Galway or Kerry woman when she's been dancing beautifully and some Bavarian Boofhead steps on her foot cutting the scene short.

I HATE seeing it typed, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Baltimore in Cork everyone is calling it balltimore (bawltimore) nowadays :rolleyes:

Mmmmmmm.......... true indeed!

During the Celtic Tiger there were lots of holiday homes built there, many owned by the good & great from Cork City.

Since the recession the holiday homes are often referred to by their owners as "that fcuking house in Bawltimore!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I often see people online calling records 'vinyls'. "I bought three vinyls today". These people don't deserve to have a record collection.

Mmmmmmm.......... true indeed!

During the Celtic Tiger there were lots of holiday homes built there, many owned by the good & great from Cork City.

Since the recession the holiday homes are often referred to by their owners as "that fcuking house in Bawltimore!"

Maybe some of them are yanks from Baltimore Maryland in the States, where they pronounce it that way?

Like the yank city of Brisbane which they pronounce "Briz-BAYYYYNE" as opposed to "BRZ-buhn".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I often see people online calling records 'vinyls'. "I bought three vinyls today". These people don't deserve to have a record collection.

Don't worry, they probably bought Boyzone or Now That's what I call the most words you can fit on a sleeve in the world ever Vol 27
    Vinyl (short for PVC) is I assure you, the correct term.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"I want be beautifully flower". I saw that on a t-shirt once in Japan.

Meanwhile I still treasure my first press collector's fave of Orson Welles Halloween broadcast, and Brain Salad Surgery by E.L.P. Both purchased long ago when you had to search for phonographs that still could play them.

That "Can I haz cheezeburger?" Bull**** that was mocked on Frisky Dingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Text-speak.
    cn u evn c how retarded it luks wn u put dat kind of sh!te in writing?

They should have their fingers removed. And be forced to type it using their teeth and a pencil. As far as I'm concerned, that is the only excuse for it in the first place.
    As for general grammar nazism, it doesn't usually bother me, but if someone comes at me with bad punctuation, I'll be glad to point it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    'Pronounciation' instead of 'pronunciation'. Drives me UP THE WALL. Especially when people look at me as if I'm an idiot for saying 'pronunciation' or even worse, CORRECT ME! :mad:
    I came here to say this.

I had a guy mistakenly correct me today twice for pronouncing quinoa correctly, and yesterday another guy corrected me for Rioja. It's actually pronounced rio-hah he sneered.
    Rage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

People who use a new line for each sentence. Is it some sort of hungover from the emo subculture days where kids spammed to Bebo with angsty poetries?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Choodefat

Past, Present and Future, met in a bar.....talk about tense.....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DitzyPoo92

Hostipal for hospital

People who use a new line for each sentence. Is it some sort of hungover from the emo subculture days where kids spammed to Bebo with angsty poetries?

Hangover. "Hungover" is the descriptive of the state one suffers if they afflict themselves with a hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

qar instead of car, common in tyrone and donegal i would believe. it should be 'kar'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Childerns..seriously childerns???

Nile instead of Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭encore1

Threadmill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Ring4Fea wrote: »
    Hangover. "Hungover" is the descriptive of the state one suffers if they afflict themselves with a hangover.

Normally, I would get that right but I'm knackered from lack of sleep.

Advertisement