Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mispronunciation/ Poor grammar that annoys you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

LynnGrace wrote: »
    I seen and I done...

I saw what you did there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Candie wrote: »
    Funny strange or funny haha? :)
    Both, probly

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Helicocter - my dad
    Ejite - my dad
    =(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I'm not fussed by all this lark. Once the point gets across, then I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Stiletto72

Myriad of....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Heard 'stable diet' recently.

Isn't that what horses eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Stiletto72 wrote: »
    Myriad of....

Mispronunciation? Poor grammar?

Heard 'stable diet' recently.

Isn't that what horses eat?
    Supposably.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Acedia.

More and more, I see people leaving the "ed" out at the end of words. E.g. "I'm bias against him" and "She text me yesterday".
    It doesn't annoy me. It just seems really strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Beizhing, as beloved by newscasters. It's Beijing, as in Jingle Bells.

• Advertisement

Actually, this thread reminds of a funny thing happened on Friday.

I was at the post office when this American gentleman enters and asks the postmaster if he knows of a Boyle family in the locality, as he was trying to locate his long lost cousins. Postmaster said he didn't as he was new to the area but the postman was just filling his bag outside and to ask him.

So out the man goes and asks the postie; 'Excuse me sir, I was wondering if you could tell me if you have any Boyles on your route?'

The postman, a bit taken aback, replies 'No, but I had one on the back of my neck once'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Before the recent Ireland Rugby game (where someone apparently was retiring and the whole of Ireland seemed to suddenly become Rugby historians), I was witness to someone on my Facebook feed asking his entire friend population to ejaculate on the Emerald Isle, ie: "cum on Ireland".

Actually, abbreviations that have a history from "txt spk" wreck my bulb. I understand the internet ones, but that's mostly because it's sentences or a combination of a few words put into letters, ie: LMAO, ROFL, FWIW, IMO. I can't stand people who remove, or change words completely, just to save themselves from pressing a few extra keys/taps, like U for you, lik for like, spk for speak, an so on.

The evolution of language seems to be heading in the direction of "spell it how it sounds".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Quirk instead of Cork :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Actually, this thread reminds of a funny thing happened on Friday.

I was at the post office when this American gentleman enters and asks the postmaster if he knows of a Boyle family in the locality, as he was trying to locate his long lost cousins. Postmaster said he didn't as he was new to the area but the postman was just filling his bag outside and to ask him.

So out the man goes and asks the postie; 'Excuse me sir, I was wondering if you could tell me if you have any Boyles on your route?'

The postman, a bit taken aback, replies 'No, but I had one on the back of my neck once'

Happened on Friday, did it? You were lucky to be in the vicinity to pick up this gem.

Happened on Friday, did it? You were lucky to be in the vicinity to pick up this gem.
    The world is full of strange coincidences. :)

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Chicargo

What's all that about?

Likewise 'Thighland'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Far too many instances of library being pronounced liberry.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm not fussed by all this lark. Once the point gets across, then I'm happy.

Aren't you mature? =D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Baltimore in Cork everyone is calling it balltimore (bawltimore) nowadays :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

mike_ie wrote: »
    heh - don't get me started on their/there/they're and your/you're :D

Too right. I recently pointed out about 6 mistakes in one paragraph which was posted on a thread on Boards.

The post was deleted and I got a warning for basically picking on the poster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

One that really bugs me is when some English people vocally add an imaginary 'r' following a word ending in a vowel. For example "bananer" instead of "banana" or "Australia-r" instead of "Australia." :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Theres a special place in hell for people who type "though" as "do". If you're gonna shorten "though", use "tho", how does "do" even come into contention??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Fergal Keane on Drivetime two weeks ago.

"Confidential reciprient" He must have said it about five times in one report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Theres a special place in hell for people who type "though" as "do". If you're gonna shorten "though", use "tho", how does "do" even come into contention??
    Dodo is a type of bird. Perfectly understandable mistake. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Or 'thou'... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

arf91 wrote: »
    Aren't you mature? =D

No, I washed it twice today.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Stiletto72

Mispronunciation? Poor grammar?

Poor grammar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

An apostrophe used in plural words, e.g. word's.
    This has become so common recently, I've even seen it in large company advertising. My number one pet hate,
    BNMC wrote: »
    Loose/lose.

closely followed by this.

No, I washed it twice today.

I wish I didn't get that joke =|

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

There are several instances of deliberate mispronunciation, particularly in the media.

Pronouncing t as an s or a double s. City as Sissy as an example

Advertisement