Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

Oh wow that's a full day! Fair play and enjoy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Starrgrrl

I'm sick at the thought of dress shopping. I've got crappy arms. I lost 3 stone last year but can't seem to get a move on it again since Christmas. Haven't a clue where (or when) to start

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

While I'm INCREDIBLY excited about it, it's that very excitement that's putting me off dress shopping. A) I want to lose a bit of weight first so I'm closer to the size I want to be for my wedding and I can get a more accurate dress size, and B) I'm emigrating in August/September and I know it's WAY cheaper to buy the dress in Canada. But I still want to try them on with my friends here, and I'm really afraid that I'll find THE dress and it won't be available in Canada. In that case, I'll either have to buy it here at a higher price than I've budgeted and have it shipped to me in Canada for fittings, or I'll have to find a new dress by myself in Canada. It's quite overwhelming :(

I made an appointment to try on wedding dresses next week :eek:. I didn't plan on trying them on until the summer but it just happened! I'm so excited about it :D. But I still don't want to but my dress in Ireland because it would be so much cheaper in Canada... But maybe if I find one under a certain price range... We'll see! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Whooo ho!! I can imagine it is a bit daunting but sure go for it.. Id be the same I want to loose a crap load of weight before I get my dress but sure there is no harm in having a looksee at what it there. Perhaps you will find one that's perfect and then know what to look out for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

It's fun trying on dresses. I had a definite style in mind and I'd pictures from the internet and everything. I thought I wanted a floaty Jenny Packham number but when I tried the dresses on, that style just didn't do anything for me. The staff in the shop I got my dress in picked out loads for me to try on that they thought would suit me. I think you need to get out there and try loads on as you might surprise yourself with what you'll rule in or out

Yeah, I've a fairly fixed idea and I'm fairly sure it'll suit me. My only rule is: No fishtails or anything that clings over the hips and flares out further down the leg. I KNOW that wouldn't suit me in the slightest!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

mslady wrote: »
    I have a full day (10am - 6pm!!) of dress appts booked in town (Dublin) this Saturday....can't decide if I'm nervous or excited! I'd say I'll be collapsing in a heap by the end of it!

A heap was putting it kindly as it turns out! 5 appts is probably too many for one day if anyones thinking about doing the same - by the end I was so grumpy I didn't even want to look at dresses!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sounds painful! Did you end up picking anything out or even come any closer to working out what you want?

Starrgrrl wrote: »
    I'm sick at the thought of dress shopping. I've got crappy arms. I lost 3 stone last year but can't seem to get a move on it again since Christmas. Haven't a clue where (or when) to start

Well done to you for loosing the weight!! congrats, have you picked up some weights, those ones in Argos are great you get a selection of three different ones. place them near somewhere where you will sit or be in all the time and then start picking them up every now and again until you get into the habit of using them, or the hand weights that you strap around your wrists they are quire good if you are into walking..Again just a matter or getting used to it..

Im kinda looking forward to it but at the same time Im allergic to clothes shopping so I hope it goes well haha.. Wouldn't be a fan of me arms either so hoping to get a long sleeved dress or balero or something..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

Sounds painful! Did you end up picking anything out or even come any closer to working out what you want?

Yeah I tried on so much that I ruled a lot out! I just need to decide if I want a short dress (which I was convinced I wanted before I went shopping, but there's not a lot of them out there - didn't find any "wow" dresses), or a long dress (which surprised me - I found a "wow" dress!)

I'm less confused and more confused all at the same time!

For anyone in Cork just heard on 96fm today that there is a wedding fair next Thursday in the imperial.It is a mixed god I cant think of how to put it nicely but tis for all couples, gay, straight, bi what-ever you like. The lady running it sounds very nice. Thinking of heading in it will be my first one its on from 5.30 - 10

Milly33 wrote: »
    For anyone in Cork just heard on 96fm today that there is a wedding fair next Thursday in the imperial.It is a mixed god I cant think of how to put it nicely but tis for all couples, gay, straight, bi what-ever you like. The lady running it sounds very nice. Thinking of heading in it will be my first one its on from 5.30 - 10

Milly, is that the day after tomorrow or next week? I really want to go!

Hi Faith I think it was next week but I have just asked them on FB I shall come back to you. They have nothing on their site tut tut ill be back

Thanks a million, I couldn't find anything on google myself either. Haven't been to a fair yet because they all happened in January, it seems, and I really want to!

they haven't come back yet but a rough google search says it is next Thursday. I haven't been to any either kinda wasn't too interested in them but thought it might be nice to go to this with mum maybe and support it.Tis a great idea..

Just looking through one fab day weddings there got all smiley looking at other peoples pictures

I found the wedding fair page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/557620247670695/?ref_newsfeed_story_type=regular&source=1

It's organised by the gay community, as far as I can see... Would it be a bit awkward going as a straight couple?!

Well tis an equality one, for both teams :) .. They are saying it is one of the first for Cork. The lady on the radio said they are a Dublin gang that go around all over the country doing all sorts of shows and they were just asked would they do this in Cork. I don't think it would be awkward unless you aren't to keen on gay couples I would say no then, but if not I think it would be fun

Haha no, we're fully in support of gay marriage so that's not an issue :D. We'll go along to it, sure the vendors are the same whether we're gay or straight!

Exactly they will have all the same stuff. I must get my mum to go in now with me ill have to book her shell be all excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CorkClaire82

This day next year I'll be getting married :) Actually looking forward to tomorrow when I can say "less than a year to the wedding"!!

In the next 2 weeks we want the band and photographer booked so we can enjoy the summer without worrying about the wedding.

It will be here in no time..Eecckk do you have a lot organised already

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CorkClaire82

The venue, the church and yesterday we booked the band. I had been looking at the Converse Allstars over the past couple of weeks and then we were at a wedding where they were playing so we decided we'd just go for them so that was really easy :) In the next couple of weeks we'll have the photographer booked. Then we'll leave it for the summer and get back into it around September time.

Going looking at dresses in Youghal tomorrow, no interest to be honest but sure I'll give it a go.

Haha sorry im so dim I was just going to say your a Cork girl then but doh the name gives it away!! Very good jes you have loads done, we have then venue booked and the meeting with the reg office that's it..Mad to get making things like the invites and that but himself is like there is loads of time...

We say the All stars play aswell and have to say they were great, got the crowd going and sounded very good..Best of luck with the dress shopping, you might change your mind once you try on a few

• Registered Users Posts: 8 monyman

Getting married is really a special experience that I used to heard in the past, and now, I am getting married. For this I started the planning of my own wedding in a enthusiastic way. I am getting married in the beginning of the 2015, but have been booked something including photographer, catering, chapel, and remaining all preparing slowly as there are lots of time remaining.

congrats to you monyman!!! At last twill be you waking down the aisle..I hope tis all you dreamed off

Went to the Bridal Outlet yesterday looking for a dress, not really expecting much, but there it was, the first tag I put on a dress and the second dress I tried on, I cried and his mum cried, his sister was beaming, I knew that was my dress. I still tried on four more dresses just to be sure, but when I put that one back on, and the lady put the bird cage on to finish it off, I got THAT feeling again, and his mum started welling up again. That was it, that was my dress! I love it and feel so beautiful in it that I cannot wait for my fittings! It was also well under budget too, which was a huge bonus!

Quick review of the Bridal Outlet, when we came in we were immediately welcomed by a lovely woman called Paula, who handed me five tags and told me to let her know when I was ready and someone would be in to look after me. What I really loved was, I was immediately made aware of the prices of the dresses as they had them split into two rooms 'under 2 thousand' and 'over two thousand', I know my budget didn't stretch anywhere near as far as the other room, so I sytaed within my budget and didn't fall in love with anything that I couldn't afford. I was seen to by a lady named Donna/Darla (I know this sounds horrible but I couldn't quite pick up on the full pronunciation of her name), she was really lovely and really knew her stuff, being able to pick out what I liked and didn't like just from my descriptions, also sh didn't put any pressure on me, and was honest without being too harsh, which I loved. Maybe I'm bias now because I found my dress there, but I would recommend to all for a visit, it's a lovely atmosphere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I got mine in the Bridal Outlet too... fantastic place altogether.. and Darla? I didn't get her name right either.. looked after us..

Not pushy at all and gave me all the time in the World even though they were very busy that day.. She was so helpful.

I highly recommend it :) brilliant set up!

She really was lovely and let me twirl around in my dress for as long as I liked, and being a Saturday they were out the door busy, but I never felt rushed. Glad you had a similar experience, I want to do it all over again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

Hi everyone - been lurking around this thread for a while but thought I'd join in *waves*

We're getting married Dec 2015 - so far, progress is slow but trying to sort that out! There's just so much out there - this forum has been so helpful for recommendations - venue, church, photographer sorted and talking to a videographer and starting to look for bands / DJs :)

Advertisement